WHY THE FUCK WON'T MY The Press™ INCREASE

WHY THE FUCK WON'T MY The Press™ INCREASE

I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING, HIGH VOLUME SETS, ACCESSORY WORK, DOING IT AT A HIGHER FREQUENCY, PRIORITIZING OVER BENCH PRESS, NOTHING FUCKING WORKS

I'VE BEEN PRIORITIZING The Press™ OVER ALL MY OTHER LIFTS AND IT WON'T GO UP, IN FACT IT ACTUALLY DECREASED! ALL MY OTHER LIFTS ARE INCREASING, BUT THIS GAY FUCKING LIFT FUCKING SUCKS

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What weight are you doing The Press(tm) at now?

Diet and Sleep = Recovery

You can't rush it.

My OHP only went up after months of stalling until I started doing heavy as fuck 3x3. You really need to push yourself, almost to the point of injury if you want to get stronger.

Do you do heavy push presses or circus presses? Or even just dumbbell work in general? Those seem to be key for increasing my numbers quickly.
Z presses are also really great because they limit you to only your shoulders.

I was at 100 pounds for a set of 5 back in February. Tried for 105 two weeks later but couldn't squeeze out more than 2 reps. Got sick (like going to the hospital and loosing 10 pounds sick) then lost some gains.

After I recovered, I tried going light with higher reps (7 to 10 reps). I was able to hit 95x5 for 3 sets last month. I tried a set of 95 yesterday and I couldn't even get two reps.

Doesn't make sense, my bench, squat and deadlift have all increased. I have also started going facepulls and weighted planks as accessories. Now I am throwing in Z press to further assist my press.

But have you tried push pressing?

My gym has only 5lb or above plates, so I have to make my OHP jumps in 10lb increments which is a real bitch.

What I did was:
>stopped doing JUST OHP
>added 4 sets of lateral raises (heavy, leaning while holding onto the power rack with one hand)
>5 sets of low-medium weight facepulls (like Omarisuf shows in one of his vids)
>did 1x5, 1x5, 1xF
When I did 8 reps with my normal weight I bumped it by 10 lbs and now I'm doing 1x5, 1x5, 1x5-6 depending on how I'm feeling that day

No, but I am now considering it. The leg drive seems like a good way to overload my shoulders.

The three Questions:
>How big a jump are you making in weight?
>How long are you resting between sets?
>How much are you eating and sleeping?

Basically:
>increase weight in smaller increments
>(buy fractional plates)
>(increase weight only for one set, then the next time for two and so on)
>(95 2x5 + 100 1x5, next time 95 1x5 + 100 2x5, then 100 3x5, etc)
>(maybe increase to 5x5, and do this system, i.e. 4+1, 3+2, 2+3, etc)
>rest longer between sets
>eat more and sleep more

Use push press only for the last reps that you can't complete strict

What the fuck is the press trade mark?

I agree with the other user who said do push press for a few reps after you fail with strict form The Press™. And make sure you emphasize the negatives on your push press.

1. I just 5 pounds in weight every time
2. I rest between 2 to 5 minuted between sets
3. My diet and rest are good. I eat plenty of food and sleep about 8 hours every night.

What are the best accessories I can do to help with my The Press™?

It's a meme, you dip

1. Rack Presses
>place rack safties at height of starting position
2. Easier rack presses
>place rack safties at height of top of head
3. micro plates

Lurk more

So everyone in here is fucking retarded? Got it

Add 2 eggs to your diet. OHP above 90% your ORM twice a week and get at least 50 reps at or above 60%. Add weight slowly. You will make progress.

4. elastic bands

5. single arm presses, seated press, seated floor press, slow eccentric

5 pounds becomes a lot for the press at some point. But 100 pounds 3x5 is not a lot.
What are your other lifts?

You say your diet is good. Have you been gaining weight?

As for "accessories", I'm not so sure that's the right way to go at your strength level. But if you insist... Any other kind of pressing can help.
Like I said, for one try to finish your sets with push pressing when you can't do it strict.
Another option would be to alternate "light" and "heavy" workouts. Like one day do 5x3, the other do 5x5. Progress with the weight like I explained above.
Film yourself to make sure you're doing it correctly and aren't pressing in a curve around your head or something.

Lurk more

5/3/1

Have you been doing your ab work at the end of every session user?
Also consider doing a pyramid for ohp where you work up to a top set of 5 or whatever and then pyramid down in 3s.

How the fuck am I suppose to use elastic bands on a barbell while overhead pressing?

I found that just one day of shoulder work is not enough to build shoulders or increasing your OHP.

Work shoulders two times a week doing OHP and dumbbell presses. I found that I maintained and slightly increased my OHP strength during my cut.

What? Leave then, fuckwit. Fucking newfags, I swear.

Wait nigga.
OP, please tell me you aren't THE PRESS'ing only once a week?!

I would press 2 to 3 days a week

I have a 2mm herniated disc between my c6 and c7 vertebrae . Have been pressing heavy without pain/problem for the last month but doc told me today to avoid any heavy overhead movements. If I keep strict form can I keep press around the 3-5 rep range or should I just listen and avoid OHP all together???

You're not going to perform as well or as terribly every time, mate.
Your lifts will always vary
For example: some days, I have issues with curling 50s and benching over 200 for reps, while other days I'll crank out 60s and bench 225 with moderate difficulty. And I'm pretty sure just about every other faggot on this board has the same problems, albeit they'll deny it all they want
You just have to work with it and keep going.

Some shitty meme coined by reddit. It wasn't here 2 years ago.

Why risk it?
Tricep extensions, skull crushers, and lateral raises do a great job.

Tbh check out AlphaDestiny's videos regarding this I added 20lbs to my ohp in a month following his advice

How's your bench? For me, bench drives the press and the press drives the bench. Incline bench also seems to help me push through sticking points.

Thanks man, needed to hear someone else say it

i was plateauing, then i took a week off lifting, did tons of acid and md, starved a little then ate like a king, came back and my bench and OHP had increased 5kg and more sets, i'd advice taking a longer break and really resetting your nervous system

microplates

I'd do the press if I didn't have John Mccain tier shoulders

Do accessory work, bump down weight and rework up to it.
Try increasing your grip width to the pinky finger point as well.

guys i just started doing The Press™ and it's really my favorite exercise

I started out doing a 40lb The Press™ and now I've moved up to a 60lb The Press™ today, doing 3x5s. I think I could do 70lb next time easy. Is this okay for a beginner? I also watched mark rippertoad's videos on The Press™ so I think I will gain some weight just by having better execution

Have you tried pressing?

>doc told me today to avoid any heavy overhead movements
>should I do heavy overhead movements?

>recommending 5/3/1 for someone who presses 10lbs
ahahahahahha

Are your forearms vertical, have you deloaded, are you eating enough to build muscle, do you brace your core, are your reps controlled?

I was stuck on 95x5 for 3 sets forever but I've progressed smoothly to 95x6-100x5-100x6-105x5 these past couple months after fixing all three of those things

100 bucks says it's weak tris
you need them for like half the lift

Don't prioritise it.

The way out of a plateau is by circumventing the lift itself by getting stronger/better at movements that indirectly compliment it.

ie. If you want a better overhead press, get your narrow grip bench up significantly and heavily train rotator cuffs and rear delts for dat dere stability.

Though this is a rehab program, it can be treated as a prehab program that can help with any weak links in ones overhead press

dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

These exercises are best performed at the end, though one set with light weight can also be useful as decent warmup.
Work your way up with micro additions on the ohp. Core work also can be useful since keeping ones lumbar pelvis rib cage stiff requires strong hips and abdominal muscles.

I can't believe no one has asked this.

What did you weigh when you started? What do you weigh now? What was your press weight when you started? What is it now?

Op you are fucking kidding yourself if you buy micro-plates to go up from 100lbs.

Just keep building to 4/3/2/1 on a structured program in which you progressively overload. Drop your volume and up your frequency + hit a tonne of mobility and stability work - not rocket surgery.

I can guarantee your other lifts are more embarrassing if you are only pressing 100lbs.

5 3 1
N I G G E R
I
G
G
E
R

how much weight have you gained

if it's not at least 0.5-1lb a week, fuck off because that's your answer

Try harder when lifting.
Eat more.

>4plaet ohp
OP, don't listen to him.

BRACE CORE HARD LEAN BACK MAKE IT A INCLINE PRESS BASICALLY MADE MINE GO UP TO 155LBS CAPSLOCK

try eating

Whatever you do, do not do 5/3/1. It's retarded.

>Thinking "beginner programs" are anything other than glorified peaking protocols

I'm at a point where I have to get microweights, OP.

Get microweights with me.

Make sure your form is good. It's also alright if you need to take a longer rest between sets

Iktf

I bench 225lbs but the most I ever Pressed was 105lbs. Yesterday I did 3x8 of 90lbs. Sucks

25 lbs variance sounds like a lot, but you are generally right

Are you progressing?
Yes -> great, keep doing what you're doing.

No -> Are you recovered after each session? (feeling good and not tired).

Yes -> do more (sets, reps, frequency, weight, whatever)

No -> do less, and recover.

This applies to anything in lifting.

More protein

Just listen to your doctor OHP is a meme movement anyway there are better ways to build shoulders

>ohp is a meme movement
>a meme movement
>meme

Try a week of rest with light activity
I do one every 2 to 3 months

in graphical format

How Many kilos is in a full pl8?

5 pounds may be too much. I started going up 2 lbs at a time once I hit 90 lbs.

2 to 5 minutes may not be enough rest. I rest for 7 minutes between OHP sets.

Can't evaluate your diet, because you haven't posted your cal/day. Sleep looks good.

If you're early in your training, it's always either rest, weight jumps, and/or diet and sleep. The key to your problem is there, not in a magic combination of accessory lifts.

Do 4 set with your max rep

What's the correct name for the following kind of press
>no bending knees
>no bobbing hips back and forth
>only movement allowed (besides pushing) is getting your head out of the bar's way
?

Have you considered trying harder?

The Press™

>Still doing da press

Switch to push press. It's way more fun.

fuck off i'm serious

Military press

So am I.

overhead press
or strict overhead press

strict press. military you need your heels together too. military press is the the goat, the only reason The Press™ is popular is because of rippetoe's fat ass.

I got to 155 for 3x5 Standing Barbell Overhead ThePress as instructed by Mark Rippetoe of Witchita Falls Athletic Club just on starting strength. The best advice is really eat more and focus on shooting that bar as fast as possible over your head. Anyone saying you "need" accessories are just misunderstood. Currently at 205 for 5 and all ive done to get here was just do a volume day and an intensity day, this isnt rocket science.

Invest in some 2.5lb plates.

>as instructed by mark rippetoe

t. standing bench press chase arbiter

Should have mentioned not the Olympic Press but the one taught in the book xd

>linear progress on press
manlet ROM, who cares

>failed at 40kg
>reduced weight to 35kg and started working up again
>first time i've done it with having to clean it first
>smashed it

Might start cleaning it every time, for some reason my shoulders feel much more fucking blasted than before.

Your lifts aren't decreasing you hyperbole prone faggot.

Neither were you, dyel