/run/ - Running General

>FAQ
pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

Any running discussion are welcome.

I feel that I'm not progressing in my runs, but when I compare to where I was last year, I see a big difference.
>feelsgoodman.jpg

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/137.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Threadly reminder lads strava.com/clubs/fitizens

Anyone training for a fall marathon or IM around? How's your training going?

Have a half in September and an ultra in October. Training is going well, although I need to do a bit more hill work I think. 3.25 marathoner so well conditioned generally

Keep going user, you're gonna make it for sure. I'd say running is the easiest Veeky Forums to plateau at.

How long did it take you to get there? I have my (second) marathon in september and I'd like a 3h20 or so. My first one last year was a pretty painful 3h45, so I'm not sure how realistic this is.

Hey cucks will running give me passable looking legs? I hate squatting and love cardio. I want to jog at least 6-7 hours a week.

do you mean passable by Veeky Forums standards? no way

No I just mean human standards. I'm doing chin ups and push ups for upper body. Will probably use a weight vest eventually. But I just want to do 42-48 miles of cardio a week for my whole leg work out.

Ran 11.6km in 1h05m, not fast by any means it was more of a challenge to "run" up the longest hills in my town.

>picture related

Yes. My calves and thighs are larger than my upper body and I barely do squats. I run 10 miles every few days. I spend all my lifting Time on core and upper body to match. It's a great look on a natty

No ones standards but your own matter user

You'll always be inadequate or adequate to another person, it just depends

Hey Veeky Forums,

I started running again last week. So far I run every other day and am hitting about 9 minutes per mile running around 30 minutes each day so far. I want to run all the time though. How many days a week can I run without destroying my body?

In addition, I want to run a half marathon in a couple months. I figured I'd just add a couple minutes of running each day until then. Am I going to die doing that?

Thanks bros

Each race is different man, in a marathon at least 8 mins can come from believing you can do it. It's as much mental as technical. I've been running since 17 and am 22 now. I'm much faster up to 10k. My 5k is 16.21 and 10k is 33.41 I do lots of speed work at track and it really helps, as does having light shoes and good form

Mirin the glute gains from that elevation

>am I going to die doing that?
Yes. First get very comfortable with running the 10K and then build up to a half marathon.

Running 5-6 times a week is very doable without destroying your body, as long as you keep good running posture and don't overdo it.

No. I'd say depending on general level of fitness (not being fat ass) that one rest day a week is fine. Try to mix sessions up. Do hill work, speed or tempo session and a longer slower run a week. So 3/4 sessions min

>Am I going to die doing tha
Yes

Hey Veeky Forums. Will enter my first competition (10k) in two month. You have any tips?
Atm I do 2 slow 30 min runs, 1 max effort 30 min hill run and 1 max effort interval run with some basic strength exercises per week. In addition I hit the gym 2 times a week one day legs the other core. Would love to train upper body too but my shoulder is fucked.

Ive been on a two month break due to hip bursitis. Been doing Myrtle routine every other day and the pain is mostly gone. Is it safe to start running again? I also think my form is shit. Been heelstriking alot.

I did a half marathon a week ago but I was sick and completely fell apart and barely finished. I'm planning to do another one in October.

What was your time?

30 min slow runs are not enough, you should be doing 12-14 km long runs, the idea being that you won't get tired towards the end of your 10k race.

2:07. In the second half I did like 7 minute kms, I had literally never ran that slow before. I'm just proud I finished to be honest.

hello i am skelly. how will running shape my body? doing c25k atm

11.6km in 1h05m is pretty respectable for a beginner/recreational runner, well done if you ask me.

Do you ever find this machine particularly handy for anything or are they just for body builders and whores?

>How many days a week can I run without destroying my body?
Professionals run up to 200 kms a week, 6 days a week, many days twice.

It's all about being smart about it and building up to it. And having proper form and shoes.

Start by increasing your mileage while still running slowly and comfortably. Focus on your form, try to keep your legs from hurting -- you'll very likely get all kinds of pain, shin splits etc. as you run more, so don't overdo it. Do this for a couple of weeks/months and only then think about specific workouts. It's tempting to get into intervals, tempo runs, fartleks etc. but they don't really accomplish much if you're a beginner, simply running is all you need.

I was thinking about reducing the leg workout intensity and do at least one longer run per week. Would you suggest doing 12-14km one or two times a week?

Finally got my 1.5 mile run time to 8:45 seconds from when I started at 15 minutes last year. The goal is 8 minutes, how much longer will it take doing 4 runs and 3 day's strength training to get there?

No, once a week is quite enough. Look up some 10k training plans, you don't have to start following any but it will give you an idea about how to structure your week. They are usually very similar and follow the same principles.

Better luck next time. Is there a specific time you are aiming for in October?

I'm around 1:50-1:55 when I train and take it somewhat easy. I'm not sure what it will translate to in a race, I'm not that experienced. Maybe something like 1:45 would be doable.

Hm those 10k plans I looked at have 2-3 times per week 10k+ runs some even up to 20k. Gonna integrate some slow long runs in my trainings schedule i guess...

How long have you been running? Was it your first competition?

Hey, is it all right to walk in a run or is it the height of disonorabu?

It's shamfur dispray

run short distance or get better pacing if you hit a wall halfway though the run

Around 2 years, a bit more. I started by doing couch-to-5k and continued on and off from there.

It was my first half marathon, I've ran a few 5k races in the beginning and a 10k last year. I'm planning on doing a marathon next year if all goes well.

To be honest, I don't think I'm naturally good at running, I think it comes easier to many others, but I enjoy it. That being said, I don't run that much either, I do 2-3 runs a week. Most non-beginner training plans have you run 4-5 times a week, so maybe if I applied myself more I'd be somewhat good, but whatever.

What shoes are you wearing /run/?

I just got pic related and have done a few runs in them. Exactly what I was looking for: lightweight and flexible, while still having decent cushion.

I guess pacing is where I need to improve.

I find that if I need to run at a fairly slow speed due to being exhausted I'll just give in and turn it into a 30 sec walk before I can go back to the normal pace again, It sucks ass.

Flyknit racers for race day

What have you looked at?

Most of them look like this:
coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/137.shtml

Keep in mind that this is fairly advanced -- easy runs should feel easy and kinda like walking. If your easy runs don't feel like that, you should have a less intense schedule.

Running without rest days is tough for novices. I don't care how fit you are, your legs need to adjust to all the beating that they take during running. And they do, but it takes time.

Pegasus 33 at the moment. It's probably not the best shoe but I started off by randomly buying Pegasus 31 and then I got 32 and now I have 33 and plan on buying 34 because I don't see why not, I'm happy with them.

They are good looking shoes, too.

Hey /run/ do you like to listen to music while you run?

What devices do you use? (mp3 player, headphones)

I used to use the ipod that's the size of a shuffle but had a screen (can't remember the name) and pretty basic over the ear athletic ear buds. Sadly this was a while ago so I'm trying to figure out what to use, I mostly go running outdoors on nature trails.

I just got a fit2 to sync with my phone and track my runs. It cam hold a good amount of songs, but you have to play it through wireless bluetooth headphones which can be a pain in the dick.

I do 8k in ~42 minutes. Is this a good pace? I just want general fitness, not training for a race or anything. Is it true that you should run slower to burn more fat?

I really dislike having my phone with me on a run, that was the biggest reason I loved my shuffle.

I also hate storing music on my phone.

I guess I'm picky.

I use Jaybird X3 headphones, they were quite expensive but I'm very happy with them. I used to run with wired headphones before and I wouldn't go back, wireless is much more practical.

And I carry my phone in a Spibelt, I want to have my phone with me anyway just in case. The belt is a necessary evil as I can't find any good running shots irl which would hold my phone correctly.

It's okay. I can do it in 35 and the standard for US Army Rangers is something like under 40 so you're in no bad shape but definitely have somewhere to go if you want to

Just did a 5k in 24:26. Doesn't sound impressive, but 2 weeks ago I was a fat smoker who couldn't run for literally 2 mins without having to stop for breath.

On the downside, my left knee is a bit fucked.

The way I see it, at the end of the day it's the time that counts.

If you need to walk just slightly and doing so gives you a better time than someone (or yourself) that 'ran' all the way you still did it in a better time.

It's still better to run though and learn how to properly pace yourself so you don't walk though...

I use my phone on an armband and just listen to it without headphones since sometimes I run with a friend
I use the Brook glycerin 15, got it for my birthday and it's like running on a cloud pic related

I think my form is shitty but I'm not sure, what is the ideal running form?

Just signed up for the strava, but im not too sure how this site works.

Do I have to track my workouts with a app or can I post them to Strava?

Currently using nike training app for running, gives me a plan too - running a half marathon in Oct

thats fantastic actually.

yeah bro, that's good. pic related, from left: you, your boy, and the narrator.

Me too, and that's one reason I got the watch. I can put the songs on it and leave my phone at home. I used to run with a Garmin watch and phone strapped to my arm. Now it's just this watch, which I'd be wearing to track my time and mileage anyway.

How long have you been waiting to use this pic?

the fit2 you're talking about? It can store music without needing to be attached/ bluetooth attached to the phone?

That sounds like a pretty good option then. It's a little expensive though, and I don't care about tracking my runs but it looks like a cool device and I'll keep it in mind.

Thank you!

anyone using any GPS watches? Im looking at the garmin 735xt my phone's GPS eats up battery really fast, was also hoping to get some tracking on cadence.

landing mid foot, try not to heel strike too much. my shoes have about 100miles on them the mid foot is getting more worn down than the heel.

IIRC, you can connect a garmin or nike account to it so your run is posted to both. You can also manually put it in, just won't have a map or anything.

new balance 1500v3 i liked the more snug heel cup, the zants had too much padding on the ankle for me.

DO HILL SPRINTS.
I've completely substituted leg day at the gym with them. I jog 1.5 miles to a steep hill in a state park. It takes about 12 seconds to sprint up it with maximum effort. I do that until I want to die. Then I jog back.

It develops your entire lower body proportinally and makes you feel fucking awesome.

I do HIIT on them for 15 minutes for 100% effort.

It works great

This is completely wrong. Jogging a few miles per week did absolutely nothing for my 2 mile run. Interval training vastly improved anything under 6 miles

This board memes the fuck out of "dude lmao just jog real slow for 3 hours and build that aerobic base"

Maybe if you are training exclusively for a marathon.

Benching 135 for 20 reps is not going to build you up like repping 225 for 5

I lurk here most of the time but this thread I can actually help people even more then lifting. This man knows what shoes to get, listen to him. Brooks are the best running shoes you can buy. Hands. Down.

Is running with a backpack in any way bad

A trip to the grocery store is about 3 miles, then I carry chicken and rice back but I usually just walk most of it.

Yeah it can, then play it through bluetooth. You can catch them on sale for $140ish. I think it's well worth it because of all the other things it does. Especially if you've ever wanted a smart watch.

It's bad for your joints. If you can avoid it then do so.

Walking with a loaded backpack is much better.

I wore Brooks exclusively (last pair were ghosts) but i found them to be too heavy/clunky and inflexible. We'll see in winter if I regret going to a lighter shoe, but right now I'm loving it.

Brooks Cascadias. I do a lot of trail running, and I really like how stable they feel when you hit uneven terrain. They're also super reliable. After having them for 9 months, they survived tough mudder.

Just wanted to add to the discussion on running technique, when I started running I spoke with a friend of mine who did track in university and ranked top 100 marathon in Canada, he said the best technique is to go heel to toe, and that mid foot will lead to shin splints. I originally thought mid foot as well but then asked him and he told me otherwise.

Thoughts?

No. If you want lifter legs, you have to lift. Running will give you better legs than nothing, but it won't get them big

I've mostly been walking it and it's given me a good workout for being a fatfuck.

I'll start running that distance with no backpack next time.

just went for a run, strava is telling me i just burnt 1400+ calories, is that real?

How far, and what are your stats (age, height, weight, etc.)

And sprinting (power) will do more for your legs than distance (endurance)
It's the difference between a 5x5 and a 12x3

11.7 miles, first leg was faster than the return run. 42/5'6"/135lbs

Forefoot strike vs heel strike is really just a matter of preference. Heel strike is usually a harder impact, but good shoes will take care of that. The really important thing is to make sure that you're hitting the floor directly under you, and not in front.

The weekly leaderboard on the strava group should be run only. Fuck the tri people and the bikers.

just joined... am i gunna make it?

>tfw first time 5k no stop on monday(2 days ago) and today(wednesday) first 10k nonstop
apparently the trick is to just keep running

>today(wednesday) first 10k nonstop
nice work!

Land mid foot, splay toes to absorb impact. To start (if you're used to heel striking) your calves will be screaming, so start trying barefoot or in a lower profile flatter shoe, a few kilometres and up slowly. You will get used to it, you will get less injuries, have more fun and be faster. Watch some YouTube tutorials. The Run Experience and the Harry Runs are two good ones.

Lol. You can literally get through any race distance with that mentality. Keep up the good work user

You burn approx 1kcal per kilo of weight per kilometres run. So for you 1159 seems ore accurate. But depends on the intensity and heat rate zone

you're stupid

the guy was asking about running 10ks, not 2 milers

aerobic base is for endurance, of course you need speed work specifically to get faster

if you want to train 5-6 days a week, there is no way you can do that while running at max effort everyday, so you need a lot of easy runs

all in all, you don't know what you're talking about

sounds about right, welcome to endurance sports

Yeah this. You should have at least one easy run a week, ideally more, one race pace, one tempo or speed session (alternate per week) and ideally some hill work. The last 2 are the only way to get quicker, but the easy run is integral for keeping endurance and also keeping legs loose after the tougher sessions

My 10k is 34 mins, but I race a lot of 10ks. For a leisure runner anything in the 10 min mile is fine. 8k is about 5 miles so you're doing fine.

Great time. At local parkrun you would be looking at a position close to the top. Mine has some fast bastards. I run a 16.21 5k and usually finish 4th/5th. Rest the knee up user and go for a slow easy 5 miler when it feels better. Don't push it too much if you're new to running

Had hill session at my club last night. My calves always cry for mercy the next day!

>You burn approx 1kcal per kilo of weight per kilometres run.

interesting formula, ill keep that in mind.

>sounds about right, welcome to endurance sports

I guess this means I should eat more today.

You entire run is downhill?

I was talking about km not M though. I think I can handle daily runs but need to scale the gym down to make it work. How much leg work would you suggest in the gym while preparing for a contest?

Depends on your goal I guess. To be fit and healthy 2-3 runs a week is enough I would think but to do well in competitions it is not enough. What was your 10k time?

You are gonna make it. Now go fucking run.

trying to take my speed from 14kmh to 16-18kmh for consistent running, help how do i do this