Is 5x5 good?

Is 5x5 good?
No memes.

5 sets is too much and increases risk of injury

3x6 is the golden ratio of weightlifting

5x5 is good for strength goals. Not size or endurance goals.

I dot 6 sets on mosts move

6 on bench
6 on incline

If you want fast and good results you must work hard, that is why many of you take years to pack on muscle

I'm going to start it Friday. Beginner lifter here.

Its good but really lacks good volume. I throw some accessory lifts in along with two extra sets of deadlifts

1x5 deadlift 1-2x a week is NO WHERE NEAR enough volume for a beginner to a)learn the movement b)get good at it

Too much volume, too much progression too fast. I did it for 2 months a while back, lifts shot the fuck up, but it just about killed me. You need a fuckhuge caloric surplus, and even then it burns you out.

If you use 5x5, use it with frequent deloads. 4 weeks on, then a hard break on the fifth. Make sure your working loads are safe.

5 fetishist
barbell fetishist

?????
You can easily get to 315 minimum doing 1x5 1-2x a week.

If you're a beginner, do SL 5x5 (including the very important diet and sleep requirements) for 6 months and then drop weight and do SL but with 5x10 instead. You'll get bigger as long as you read the part about plateaus.

Just begin with 3x5 and you'll be fine. 5x5 is way too much volume.

I agree with this for in the beginning. Run the initial phase of SS
>Squat 3x5
>Bench/OHP 3x5 (Alternating)
>Deadlift 1x5
3 times a week, for about 3-4 weeks, then make the transition to SL but at 3x5.

>SL 5x10
>Absolute retarded

>lacks volume
>too much volume

confused

Just start it mate theres no way there's too much volume when you start with an empty bar, you'll learn all the lifts if you focus on form in no time and progress quickly, don't worry about reloads until you fail which is ages away

Not a lot of different exercises but 5 sets of hard lifts, which makes it taxing and difficult at high weight

>this thread
You shouldn't be allowed to post unless you can do 2/3/4/5

The fuckwit who says it doesnf have enough probably means that it doesnt have enough exercises. Which may or may not be true depending on your goals.

Its core volume is more than fine, and is borderline excessive.

Any routine that puts emphasis on squatting is shit if you're a guy.

insane cringe
girls love strong legs and ass on a guy, but youre not lifting for girls anyway right???

5x5 isn't too much volume for an untrained person. The mentality of 3x5 as the perfect amount is mistaken. The early trainee needs more sets to get their technique down. As the weight gets too heavy to maintain progression on 5x5, dropping the volume to 3x5 is appropriate because the weight increases at lower volume will continue to drive progress

>size
What must I do for size? High reps? Seeing quicker and noticeable gains will encourage me to like and stick with a plan than taking a slow but sure thing road.

lmao post your physique with a time stamp so we can laugh.

rippletoes says do diddlys every day until you reach a certain weight or something but i can't remember what

Are you only supposed to do 1x5 deadlift on sl?

If you're lifting for the first time ever, yeah. You can do 2x5 or 3x5 once you've gotten your form down; and if you're going to increase your volume, drop the weight. Too much weight, too many set/reps increases the potential for injury.

So at first, say you hit 115lbs on it at 1x5. That's good enough. But once you say get up to 185-200 and you want to increase volume; consider dropping to 170-175 and then doing 2x5 or 3x5. Alternatively, you can take the SL exercises and do low-weight high reps. This is helpful if you tend to plateau on specific weight limits often.

More experienced lifters will set the record straight though.

No specific weight, just until you fail to do them successfully for the first time.

But how much time are you supposed to rest doing 5x5?

Shit, been doing max dl 5x5

also deadlifts are bad for your back and squat bad for knees

Strength training is about strength, what you're looking for is Hypertrophy and isolation, but some people say you should have a strength base first

my gf always fondles my ass and says I have a really nice butt

>mfw it's bigger than hers

Tried it for 12 weeks. I'm a bodyweight fag, but I was interested in weightlifting. I've never touched a barbell before. Started with the just bar on everything, never trained legs becouse of my patellar tendonitis. Squat went up to 172, Bench to 168, DL to 253 and OHP to 92. The Squat volume is high, and in the beginning very hard to adapt. Learn proper form asap or you will injure yourself. DL 1x5 works great becouse you can put weight on it very fast, be sure to warm up properly using the app. As accessories I did dips, pullups and some handstand work. I've also powerbulked my way through: from 132 to 158. I'm cutting now and I can see some pretty good gains all around, girls mire my ass.

>tl;dr It's a good routine, but don't run it for a year. Squeeze the noob gains and move on. Also eat a lot.

1x5 only works because of the squat frequency/volume

Even in advanced lifters, doing a brutal squat focused program (smolov jr for squats is typically done with zero deadlifting) will still result in a bigger deadlift.

As for learning form, you should be doing a lot of warmup sets on SL/SS anyway.