Why is it that Greyskull demands you do squats 2/week and deadlift 1/week...

Why is it that Greyskull demands you do squats 2/week and deadlift 1/week? Wouldn't make more sense to just alternate it like everything else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8C1a0l4q5HU
strongerbyscience.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/08/08/understanding-volume/
youtube.com/watch?v=lrM1wKtFmAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zBBYOc7M02o
jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends. If you want atronger deadlifts, sure, but it cuts squat volume. Squats help grow the deadlift more than the deadlift helps grow the squat.

Another question:

Most GSLPs utilize squat, deadlift, ohp, bench, pullup and row and there's a lot of "alternate".

Which is the best way to start alternating/grouping?

>A: bench, row, squat
>B: ohp, pullup, deadlift

or
>A: bench, pullup, squat
>B: ohp, row, deadlift

or
>A ohp, row, squat
>B bench, pullup, deadlift

or
>A ohp, pullup, squat
>B bench, row, deadlift

In other words, is it better to deadlift on the same day you pullup or the same day you row? Is it better to bench on that day or press?

Let's take deadlift day.
Deadlifts don't have any overlap with bench whatsoever, but they have a tiny overlap with OHP (both work traps)
So, you'd want to do Squat/OHP and DL/Bench
For the back lift, it is generally recommended to press on the same plane you pull, mainly for shoulder health.
So you'd want to pair Bench/Rows and OHP/chinups
On that note, rows fatigue your lower back which is already being hit hard 3x week by squats and DLs. So it's better to do chest supported rows, imo.

If you actually write the whole thing out on paper for 3x a week, you'll see you actually get a two week cycle with four distinct workouts.

The rows and pullups are add-ons to the original GS routine, so just arrange those however you want.

squatting generally benefits from frequency more than deadlifting, and is easier to recover from

doing an AMRAP set of deadlifts is much harder to recover from than the 1x5 sets on SS, as well

this is semi true, but the squats growing deadlifts thing is very individual in my experience

you have guys like Max Aita who could front squat 500lbs and could not pull it from the ground when they transitioned from oly to PL

Is there an alternative for hammer curls using a barbell?

So the best version is
>A: bench, row, deadlift
>B: ohp, pullup, squat
?

barbell hammer curl, just stand on the top rung of a ladder

Stand on the ledge of the roof of the gym, looking down on the parking lot with disdain

Guys please you know I mean something that targets the same muscles

a barbell curl obviously

it's not exactly the same but it's a fucking curl variant it's not even that important

Very true on squat/dl. I made my post under the asumption that the user is doing mid to lowbar back squats.

Front squat is a far more quad dominant movement than a backsquat, with less focus on posterior chain and lower back. Backsquat power will have some impact on DL, generally speaking.

For a pure hypertrophy plan, i'd probably recomend alternating front squats and deads, but strength, i'd keep the greyskull perscribed 2x squat 1x dl.

The key of the hammer curl is the neutral grip for the wrist. You can't get that with a barbell. What you can do is if you don't have dumbbells, just take the plates off the barbell and hammer curl them with your barehands.

You could also just do regular barbell curl for one set, then do a reverse curl on the next set, etc.

If you want to keep training your brachioradials, do wrist curls both directions as well.

Probably.

Though you want to do row>bench>dead to give your back a bit of time to recover from the rows.

youtube.com/watch?v=8C1a0l4q5HU

Cause its shit

A : Bench 3x5
Squat 3x5
Pendlay row 3x5
Ohp lightweight 3x10
Raises 2x8-12
Curls 2x8-12

B: OHP 3x5
Diddly 3x5
Chins 3x5
Close grip bench 3x10
Wide grip upright row 3x15
DB lunges 3x15
Skullcrushers if you feel like it

C: Bench 3x5
Power clean 3x3
Reverse grip row 3x8
Incline bench 3x10
Raises 2x8-12
Curls 2x8-12

get huge
get strong
ez

Are those raises = calf raises?

Is that routine your creation?

Lateral raises

That's the routine my friend made for me.
He's been lifting for decades now, and was professional in some memetic european sport.
According to him, SS and other variations have no volume at all and are therefore shit.

High volume does not make something inherently better at all.

As a muscle gets stronger it has no choice but to grow, it is impossible for it not to.

you are putting the cart before the horse

after all the easy neurological gains are tapped out (starting strength), the best way to get stronger is to increase muscle mass and cross sectional area

you do that with volume training

strongerbyscience.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/08/08/understanding-volume/
youtube.com/watch?v=lrM1wKtFmAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zBBYOc7M02o

more volume, provided you can recover from it, means more gains

Well, he's all about being strong as fuck in actual sports and having enough endurance to use that strength for as long as possible withouth being gassed after 5 minutes of playtime.
I dont know much, but he knows alot, and i'll follow what he says because he knows probably more than some CIA agent clown or some clever marketter.

>SS is useless post the noobs gains
>Starting strength is useless after you're not starting
wow really blew my mind

here

your friend is right and you'll do fine listening to him

that's not at all what i said, and your reading comprehension needs work

you said:
>As a muscle gets stronger it has no choice but to grow, it is impossible for it not to"

but you have things switched, because past the novice phase this isn't really how it works - you need to train with increasing volume to gain muscle mass so you can move bigger weights, you can't just keep your volume the same indefinitely and try to add weight

so really, it's more like
>as a muscle grows it has no choice but to get stronger, it is impossible for it not to

or rather the potential of that muscle to exert force becomes higher

tl;dr volume is good

jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/

here's a novice program from a squat world record holder who has coached world champions, and i think most people should trust his advice over that of a mediocre Texan powerlifter with a lactation fetish

Im not the same guy, im just saying that STARTING strength is obviously a beginner routine (hence the name) and is useful for beginners for a lot of reasons(full-body, simple, easily doable in a homegym) but obviously if you're not a beginner anymore you should use something else, im pretty sure the book even says after 6 months-1 year you should not do it anymore.

How are the days split up? ABCX? AXBXCX?

I do grey-skulls, but squat 3x a week. And dead-lift twice.

Wednesdays i always squat light, 100kg 5x5, 90kg 2x8. Monday and Friday i go ham on dead-lifts. Still making strength gains.