Is keto really just a way to trick people into a calorie deficit?

I'm not trying to lose weight or looking for a new diet, just curious

I only found out about keto today. Previously I'd always been against the idea of 'going on a diet' rather than just changing your diet but I don't know enough to have a strong opinion honestly.

So keto seems to be not eating carbs so that your body breaks down fat for energy more readily because it doesn't have any glucose?

This sort of made sense to me but then I thought that if one diet is doing keto and the other is not and they both eat at the same calorie deficit then they will still give the same amount of energy (and so burn the same amount of fat?)

Can someone tell me if I'm wrong here? And if I'm not wrong then why are there so many places online that swear by this stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Keto is better at appetite suppression and for certain special populations is much better for weight loss. For the general public using a regular calorie restricted diet vs a keto diet on the same deficit should provide the exact same weight loss, whether that weight lost is more fat on keto, the evidence seems to be pretty anecdotal. So unless you are a special population it's all up to personal preference

You put your body into ketosis which is a state where your body prefers fat as it's source of energy because you're not eating carbs. It makes you lose weight faster. In addition to that, it being a higher fat diet also prioritizing protein it is generally pretty filling when you're doing it right and you will find it easier to eat less.

>and so burn the same amount of fat?
not necessarily , its complicated

>Previously I'd always been against the idea of 'going on a diet' rather than just changing your diet
A diet isn't something you do to lose weight it is what you eat on a regular basis. So changing your diet is going on a diet.

Ok, I didn't think about how that diet would probably be more filling

So when you're not in ketosis where does that energy come from? I can't see how using the same amount of energy over a longer time doesn't result in the same weight loss. I get that it's complicated but I do t even know where to look to learn what I don't know about it

Do you know anything more about the certain special populations? Is it a particular disorder or something?

it's senseless. your entire body is geared toward the efficient decomposition of complex sugars for aeons, then you gorge on cancerous animal fat, which has only been possible to less than a century. guaranteed fat, high cholest, low test, cancer, beetus, the works.

>cancerous animal fat, which has only been possible to less than a century

do you mean that all animal fat is cancerous or that the new-age fat is cancerous? because we've eaten animal fat way back

I was just talking g about people I know who's be fat then go on a diet,and then after they've lost weight go back to eating how they used to and eventually complain that they're fat again

youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
watch some vids , its easy

Been /keto/ for 2 months now, here are a few gains that have nothing to do with weight management:

>smell better
some people swear that they don't need to even use soap or shampoo anymore because their diet lacks the things that make you smell. I've noticed that I don't smell after sweating, but I haven't gone this far.

>dental hygiene
stupid tertiary thing, but since you're not eating sugar or starch, your teeth remain in perfectly intact.

>clarity of thought, more energy
this is probably the most jarring effect, it's like being permanently on a 200mg dose of caffeine that doesn't seem to wear out.

>increased test
since your diet will include much saturated fat, your testosterone is pretty much topped out naturally.

There is a reason people rave about this shit. If you can maintain it mentally/financially, it is likely the diet humans evolved around.

keto is literally a meme, no special effects of a keto diet vs any other diet that puts you at a calorie deficit, this is fact

addendum:

I've been on a low calorie high carb diet prior to this. 1200 calories a day. Hunger was very high until maybe the 4th week. With keto, hunger only lasted until the carb withdrawals stopped

As of right now, I have to remind myself to eat. Combined with a 16 hour fast every day, it's incredibly effective weight control.

Holy shit you are literally retarded. Maybe you were hungry because you were starving yourself on 1200 calories a day. That has nothing to do with carbs vs fat. Keto is a meme for uneducated fatties.

but I'm on 1200 calories now.

I withheld that info just so you'd respond

wrong

Normally the body uses sugars to convert into energy. When there is none the body utilizes ketones as its primary source of energy rather than sugars. Ketones come from broken up molecules of fat.

thats the down and dirty explanation
videos on "fatty acid oxidation" or "gluconeogenisis" will help

keto helps when you have a pre-disposition to diabetes. If you have a problem with over eating you'll just end up eating double the calories in fat.

>ha jokes on you I'm still eating poorly and I'm gonna slowly kill myself with shitty diets by starving myself
imagine being this stupid

What would it take for America to convert to purely keto diet.

The trillions of cows/chickens/pigs a year required to sustain the mighty american gut farm.

Why u cant gain muscles on keto

who says you cant?

all modern factory meat is cancer. animal meat isn't inherently dangerous in small amounts. only factory meat has been able to bring huge portions to nearly every meal at an affordable price, vs. only on sundays and/or holidays.

that's right goy, keep buying grass-fed organic gluten free 99% lean ground beef, it's the only way to be healthy!

it definitely isn't sold out of the same meat packing plant that makes the cheap stuff or anything