Bench Press

How the fuck do I do it Veeky Forums? This is I've been going to the gym for a month now and whenever my routine tells me to do the bench press I just do overhead presses instead. I don't have a lifting buddy and I'm afraid I'll drop the bar and kill myself. Wat do?

What's stopping you from using machines that work your chest?

>afraid I'll drop the bar and kill myself

literally the best reason to do them

but really, start low and keep adding on 5 lbs each session and learn the roll of shame

>Machines

Use dumbbells

Stop being a fag and bench

Did you read the OP? This faggot can't lift the bar. It's either machines or push-ups

I actually prefer benching without a spotter because the added danger motivates me to lift harder. Been doing it for a while now and have yet to drop it on myself.

He is holding the bar wrong

Literally just make a friend. Ask to work in with somebody you think you might get along with.

This. I know it sounds stupid, but it works.

I only bench 295 when I ask for a spot, but can get 315 easy when I don't have a spotter because I know if I can't lift the weight I'll die.

You wont die unless you let loose of the bar

When you bench, the bar is over your chest. When you OHP, there's a moment where the bar is over your head.
Point being, OHP is more likely to kill/injure you than bench is.

There are things you can set up so that the bar doesn't drop on you

Use power rack and set safety pins

retard
drug a bench from the free weights area to the power rack

are you new? you don't. working chest is just a massive meme anyway like SS. big chests are unaesthetic. look at pic related,, anybody with a big chest looks fucking goofy.

He's not doing enough weight to die from either one.

It's like the Chinese say: If you cannot master the bar, the bar will master you.

Also maybe you should take less weight.

Also you could just ask a random stranger. I get asked all the time by some random guy who needs help. It ain't rocket science.

Also grow balls.

K Thx bye

Obviously. I'm questioning why he's more afraid of bench than OHP.

>yeah bro snap your neck, live fast amirite!

Nothing wrong with machines for novices.

use dumb bells until youre benching like 1 plate then ask for a spot

>reddit spacing

Then how can he ohp?

Get a home gym with spotter bars. Or at the gym just don't put any collars on the barbell and dump the weights if you have to and can't get a spotter. You might have to go at night to not look stupid.

i never have a spotter

i once started to fail on close grip bench presses and before i even had the chance to start the roll of shame someone came and helped me. youll be fine

I'm about to hit 2pl8 bench.

>i once started to fail on close grip bench presses and before i even had the chance to start the roll of shame someone came and helped me. youll be fine

And if someone did not come? There's no such thing as a duty to rescue, you know.

bench press with dumbell 9 or 8 kg when you reach 10 go to the bar.

Nothing better than a big chest you tiny chestlet

>I'm afraid I'll drop the bar and kill myself
>not having that survival adrenaline gains
Why try then

Looks joocy desu

I never understood the concern. Just dont use clips and tip the weight to the side if you get stuck. Or drag a bench to a squat rack with safety bars and lift there. Admittedly I only bench lmao1pl8 but still

Not him but do the roll of shame obviously.

Use a smith machine lmao

No, but really, use a squat rack if you can. Just bring a bench over, should work fine. You could bench without a spotter by starting off low to build your confidence, but you'll need a spotter if you start lifting heavy.

You could also just use dumbbells, it's much easier to drop the weight when your muscles fail with them.

Accept death may come any second.
If you don't then your true fate will always be beyond your reach.

Literally just use the safeties lmao wtf

If you fail OHP you easily have enough strength to rerack it or push it infront or behind you. The only way you're hitting your head with OHP is if the bar slips and that has nothing to do with strength.

I'd agree with you, except DYELs can't really judge when they're about to fail a lift, so they'd probably get hit all the same.

nice b8 m8

I am the opposite. I get 335 easy with a spotter but without I chicken out and can only bust out 305 for 8.

I'm often alone in my gym, when I'm doing heavy chest day I just take bench to the rack I do it with safeties, no big deal.
Also, you can tell when you've got that one rep in you and when it's enough

Screw bench press
Do OHP instead

Work in higher rep ranges with less weight. Generally 8 reps is gonna be safe for awhile.

Chestlets, when will they learn?

Benching gets more dangerous to do without a spotter the higher weight you go (if you push to your limit)

>not going way to heavy without a spot to get that adrenaline rush when you're staring death in the eye
Never gonna make it

Assuming the benches at your gym don't have a low spot for when you can't get it up, when you stall and can't push through just let it slowly come down onto your chest, then roll it forward as you sit up.

As long as you're not trying for a 1RM and aren't doing something retarded that leads to slips, you shouldn't be in a situation where you can't even slowly lower the weight.

Well sure but you really think the weight is going to slip from your hands or what? Sure if you get a sudden injury that might result in you smacking the weight on your mouth but can a spotter even react quickly enough to something like that?

Yeah this, the roll of shame is managable until about 2 plates which im sure youre nowhere near

I do this but it's not so bad because I'm a little girl and can only max bench about 50kg. Still have to be quite adept at the roll of shame though.

One time some kid I didn't like set up his bench way too close to the oly bench I was using. I accidentally slightly on purpose rollofshamed into his knee and although I apologised profusely I never saw him at the gym again

Realistically you're more likely to throw the weight forward if you hit a sticking point on OHP. I can't imagine someone getting the bar all the way to lock and then dropping it on their head unless they're suddenly struck by an unfortunately timed aneurysm or something.

So long as your forearm is vertical directly under the bar you won't drop it. I nearly passed out under the bar once but kept it up until my vision returned and finished my set. Just start with the bar nerd.

OP here. lads, I've learned a lot today, I think you'd be right in saying OP is a faggot. Tomorrow I will conquer the bench, or die... But hopefully the former.

>what is the roll of shame
nigger i've rolled off 250lbs with ease

>the roll of shame is managable until about 2 plates
wrong

If you don't have a spotter then:
Do your bench press first
Never put clips on the bar
Learn how to do the roll of shame
If you're not 100% sure you can do another rep, then don't

If you're at a gym though and not lifting at home by yourself, then just ask someone to spot you if you're worried. Most people would be more than happy to help.

>Never put clips on the bar

I think you don't know what the word "never" means... are you asking him to see-saw dump it if he gets stuck ?

How about grow a pair and ask for a 15 second spot from... I don't know.... someone who WORKS at the gym ?

>plebeians ! plebeians everywhere ! ;-)

Why do my arms still shake despite benching for a few months now? 88kg at the moment.

Not putting them on the bar means he has the option to see-saw dump. Put them on and you no longer can.

b/c your arms and shoulders are "supporting" the weight at the same time they are contracting to raise the bar.

you have to think of the flat bench press like a pyramid. your legs (yes) and lats are the wide bottom of the pyramid, and "brake" the bar as you lower it your chest.

when you raise the bar (by contracting your pecs,,, not pushing with your shoulders--- think pull to the ceiling with your wrists),,, that bottom of the pyramid allows full freedom of upward movement.

>it's slightly tricky as a beginner without a skilled coach

i'm trying to decipher what you mean and i think i actually get it, thanks.

I've been lifting for 4 years and my arms shake while doing almost any dumbbell push and barbell incline bench. i'm not struggling (in the beginning) and in no danger of dropping the weight or losing control but they still jitter like a jitterbug

Start low, work up until you find a comfortable weight. If you don't have a lifting buddy, aim for a weight where 5-8 reps are challenging but you don't fear for your life.

Well how do you squat without going to failure ?

this maybe the most backwards thing ive ever read

when you have enough experience, you will know if you are going to fail on your next rep and you will abort the set

>Point being, OHP is more likely to kill/injure you than bench is.

this is what morons who lift pussy bitch weight at best and don't lift period at worst actually believe.

at least op will be able to bench safely and tip the weight safely till maybe 3pl8

>you won't die unless you let go of the cliff face

You know, some people work out when there are no gym staff handy, like early morning or late night.

Benching without clips should be standard practice. It's not even controversial as a basic safety precaution.

move flat bench from dumbbell area to squat rack. bench in squat rack with safeties ??? congrats u did it

the only time its directly above your head is when your arms are locked out, so unless they snap its not coming down on your head

who the fuck calls a smith machine a power rack

> push max, 5th set
> im an idiot
> bail out and throw bar to my side on last rep of last set

Fuckin spooky

Sounds like youre just a bitch nigga lmao

this
I used to go to my apartments gym and nobody would be there with me so I was always terrified of using the bench, dumbbells saved my chest.

Just do floor press if you're scared

I never understand when people have this fear. You should be able to know when you maybe have one rep in the tank... stop there

Why even lift if you're just going to be a scared cunt?

Easy as fuck. You start at empty bar weight, like everyone else on this god damn planet. Then you add 5lbs to it every 2 days, since you're scared as fuck of this bar. Then you work your way up to a weight where you feel you'll need a spotter; and you find someone else who's benching more than you and ask if they can spot you. If you're at a low enough weight and you're still unsure, you can tell them "hey man, I just got into lifting and am working towards this new weight, but I'm not sure I've got the strength for it to do all reps. Can you spot me?"

If he's a decent human being, he'll spot you. If he's tryhard faggot, he'll tell you to fuck off. So then you go find someone else. The probability of every single person in the gym lifting, being a tryhard faggot, is exceptionally low. So you'll find someone. They'll spot you. If you struggle, deload and do high reps at a lower weight, then try again solo. If you still struggle, work on something else and come back to it.

Its. Not. Hard.

>wanting manboobs
who cares
you dont need to do bench

/?/ im pretty sure he mean a power racks, like he says, they have safety bars yknow? the things you set up when you squat

Learn to roll the weight off of you if you do fail. Otherwise, bench in the squat rack

Yeah there is actually rofl

No because if you fail, you just have the lower the bar to the rack position. Also if the bar is totally over your head, you've already locked it out - you'd be past the point of failure. So no, fuck off retard

>not being home jim master race and benching in your power rack in underwear

Flat bench is a meme. Do incline and dips instead.