Vegetable power rankings

what veggies should i eating as much as possible? from a nutritional perspective

Other urls found in this thread:

ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4754?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=black beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4782?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=pinto beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4808?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=lentils&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochemical
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient
walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Dried-Pinto-Beans-320-oz/10315741
walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Lentils-4-lbs/180780865
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/doc/index
nationalacademies.org/hmd/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/DRI-Tables.aspx
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4755?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=Black beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4781?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=pinto beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4807?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=lentils&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid#Dietary_sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid#Dietary_sources
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/8605?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRI-Tables/8_Macronutrient Summary.pdf?la=en
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/679?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cruciferous veggies (brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.) raise your test

supplement your protein intake with lentils. beans being high-protein are a meme

Stuff that grows above the ground. Some of the green stuff, some of the red stuff.

A bit of everything, but especially dark green leafy vegetables.

>>Grams of protein in cooked black beans:
.86 grams of protein per 100 grams of cooked black beans
Source: ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4754?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=black beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

>>Grams of protein in cooked pinto beans:
.01 grams of protein per 100 grams of cooked pinto beans
Source: ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4782?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=pinto beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

>>Grams of protein in cooked lentils:
.02 grams of protein per 100 grams of cooked lentils
Source: ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4808?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=lentils&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

The difference between them is miniscule.
Pinto beans and Lentils are within 0.01 grams or just 10 milligrams of protein difference.

Also where did you hear about Cruciferous veggies raising test?

Wat, are you literally retarded?

Look user, people throw around the term "healthy" without quantifying it...

My definition of healthy is ensuring that your diet satisfies the Recommended Dietary Allowance of all 49 essential nutrients.

Put simply, a food is "healthy" if its nutritional profile contains moderate to high levels of the essential nutrients.

The thing is though, that a single food item does not contain all the essential nutrients needed to sustain a healthy human life.

This is why we combine foods, so the nutritional deficiencies of one food is compensated by the nutritional strengths of another.

Practically speaking, Make sure you get your RDA of water, then essential amino acids, then essential fatty acids, then vitamins, then dietary elements.

You hear a lot of people claiming so-and-so food is a "super food" or something like that. Typically that means that particular food has a high content of a particular phytochemical.

Phytochemicals are substances found in vegetables that have shown some type of benefit for human health. However, they are not proven to be ESSENTIAL to human metabolism. Essential nutrients are substances that are REQUIRED for human metabolism; otherwise disease/death will occur.

I'm sure that we will discover some phytochemicals are in fact essential to human metabolism in the future; but as it stands, no other phytochemical is classified as "essential" by the powers that be.

>>Phytochemicals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochemical

>>Essential Nutrients
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient

The protein difference between lentils and beans is minuscule.

Choosing to substitute beans for lentils, because of higher protein content; isn't a compelling argument.

Is there another reason why you would substitute them?

To supplement my argument here:

Pinto beans are more affordable than lentils.

You can purchase more nutrients per dollar; by choosing pinto beans over lentils.

According to Walmart:

The best deal for pinto beans is the Great Value™ 20 lbs bag.
walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Dried-Pinto-Beans-320-oz/10315741

The price is 19.98 USD per 20 lbs
Converting it to metric; we'll get the price per kilogram:
>> 2.02 USD per kilogram of pinto beans

The best deal for lentils is the Great Value™ 4 lbs bag (they don't sell higher portions).
walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Lentils-4-lbs/180780865

The price is 4.98 USD per 4 lbs.
Converting it to metric; we'll get the price per kilogram:
>> 2.74 USD per kilogram of lentils

There is a difference of ~0.72 USD per kilogram between them.
By purchasing pinto beans, you gain an extra 356 grams of food as compared to lentils.

This translates to roughly an extra 509 calories and 32 grams of protein per kilogram of pinto beans.

wow you're really going the whole 9 yards with this

I was just going by their nutrition

>59g dietary fiber
Y'all, that's wild

BRRRRRRRRRRAPPPPPPPPP

>Cruciferous veggies (brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.) raise your test

Which are the most important for me but they are also the most disgusting

nah man

chop up some cabbage and saute it in butter with salt and pepper. shit's cash

Do you really not like certain foods based on taste? The only things I have trouble eating are like head-on shrimp and anchovies--everything else is fair game.

I double checked the numbers in your picture against the
United States Department of Agriculture: National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference

And the numbers line up.
But, at first it was wrong; only because the numbers you presented are for UNCOOKED beans and lentils (I assumed cooked quantities). But I was able to find the appropriate entry in the database, for uncooked beans/lentils.

Did you know that all other sites with nutritional information, use the USDA: National Nutrient Database?
It is the most comprehensive source of nutrient information that I know.
Everything (including the white/black nutritional information labels you see on packaged foods) is based off the information found here.

Here's a link to the database:
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

And if you're a developer, here's a link to the API/Documentation:
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/doc/index

Third parties interface with the USDA National Nutrient Database using their API, so for the rest of my analysis I will be using the USDA National Nutrient Database, because it's the golden source of nutritional information.

Three things I want to address before I begin my comprehensive analysis.

>> 1. The picture you provided, is only a snapshot of the full nutritional profile.
Therefore I will compare all 39 essential nutrients.

>> 2. You are comparing different quantities of food.
I will compare exactly 100 grams of each particular food.

>> 3. You did not compare lentils to pinto beans.
You chose to compare lentils to black beans (also called turtle beans).
My argument was based around the comparison between lentils and pinto beans.
Therefore, I will compare all three.

I will give my analysis in 5 parts.
>> Part 1 - Essential Amino Acid Profile
>> Part 2 - Essential Fatty Acid Profile
>> Part 3 - Vitamin Profile
>> Part 4 - Dietary Element Profile
>> Part 5 - Conclusions

Bear with me guise, as I compile the data

All cruciferous vegetables are top-tier.

Indole-3-carbinol:
>Inhibits the expression of estrogenic genes, reducing number of estrogen-responsive cells
>Antagonizes estrogen receptors directly (ie: has direct antiestrogenic properties)
>Has been shown to induce apoptosis in breast and prostate cancer cells (in Phase III clinical trials because it's legit)

Sulforaphane:
>Also has known anticancer properties
>Potent inducer of endogenous glutathione production, especially in the liver
>Potent inducer of phase II hepatic enzymes responsible for estrogen metabolism
>Lowers blood-serum concentrations of estrogen, which then up-regulates production of testosterone
>Promotes adipose "browning" (causes white fat to become brown fat)
>Has been shown to ameliorate metabolic syndrome, improve insulin sensitivity
>Shown to improve symptoms of autism (seriously)

Don't boil or overcook these vegetables and eat them daily.

For vegies:

Carrots
Tomato's
Leafy Greens

For fruits:
Berries
Bananas
Apples

how good is spinach? it's one of the few leafy greens I really enjoy, but I usually cook it down to make cream spinach. am I destroying the nutritional value by doing so?

What are some good oils and other sources of dietary fats I should incorporate into my diet? I only really get avocado, whole Greek yogurt, butter, olive and canola oil, and sometimes pecans.

>>Part 1
>>Essential Amino Acid Profile

hours in MS paint

Lentils have the highest amount in 6 out of 9 essential amino acids; as compared to pinto beans and black turtle beans.

Coming in second, black turtle beans have the highest amount in 3 out of 9 essential amino acids; as compared to pinto beans and lentils.

Lastly, pinto beans holds no record; as compared to black turtle beans, and lentils.

Upon further analysis, while most differences between essential amino acids levels were small; some differences seemed significant.

I would have to check the levels of each essential amino acid against the RDA for each essential amino acid to provide a quantitative analysis on the feasibility of each source.
nationalacademies.org/hmd/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/DRI-Tables.aspx

However, common sense tells me that all three are feasible sources of essential amino acids.

Furthermore, I didn't realize how much time it would take me to provide a on-the-fly and in-depth analysis of these foods.
For the above reason, and because I want to go jerk off; I'm ending my analysis here.

Feel free to conduct your own analysis.
Here are the FULL NUTRITIONAL REPORTS of each food.

>>Black Turtle beans
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4755?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=Black beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

>>Pinto beans
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4781?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=pinto beans&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

>>Lentils
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4807?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=50&sort=default&qlookup=lentils&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

I had such high hopes for you, user.

Isn't it possible for cruciferous vegetables to fuck up your thyroid? I've been eating a lot of broccoli daily so I'm mildly worried about this.

All I know is: fucked up thyroid = weight gain

broccoli sprounds. Easily done at home without any chemicals and they are extremly dance with nutrians, specially Sulforaphane that is being said is the cancer killer. I cup is equal to 25 whole broccoli heads.

And they are cheap asss fuck.

>Isn't it possible for cruciferous vegetables to fuck up your thyroid?

>Very high intakes of cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage and turnips, have been found to cause hypothyroidism (insufficient production of thyroid hormones) in animals (54). Two mechanisms can potentially explain this effect. The hydrolysis of progoitrin, found in cruciferous vegetables (see Figure 1), may yield a compound known as goitrin, which may interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis. The hydrolysis of another class of glucosinolates, known as indole glucosinolates, results in the release of thiocyanate ions (see Figure 2) that can compete with iodine for uptake by the thyroid gland (55). However, increased exposure to thiocyanate ions from cruciferous vegetable consumption or, more commonly, from cigarette smoking, does not appear to increase the risk of hypothyroidism unless accompanied by iodine deficiency. One study in humans found that the consumption of 150 g/day (5 oz/day) of cooked Brussels sprouts for four weeks had no adverse effects on thyroid function (56). Similarly, consumption of high amounts of cruciferous vegetables has been associated with increased thyroid cancer risk only in iodine-deficient areas (57).

Strictly speaking yes, but it's mediated by iodine intake - as long as you're getting enough iodine it shouldn't be a problem.

There are two essential fatty acids.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_fatty_acid

>>Alpha-Linolenic acid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid

and

>>Linoleic acid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

Both of those encyclopedic entries have a list of dietary sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Linolenic_acid#Dietary_sources
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid#Dietary_sources

To go one step further, you can check the essential fatty acid level of nearly any food.

We use the lipid number of each fatty acid
Alpha-Linolenic acid = 18:3 n-3
Linoleic acid = 18:2 n-6

(n-3 and n-6 stands for omega 3 and omega 6 respectively)

Then we search the USDA National Nutrient Database for a food.
For our example let's use Flax Seed Oil.
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/8605?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

By clicking the "Full Report (All Nutrients)" option, we can find just how much is in Flax Seed oil.
We scroll down the table to the "Lipids" section, then find our lipid numbers

According to the database, Flaxseed Oil has:
~14.2 grams of Linoleic acid
~53.4 grams of Alpha-Linolenic acid

Per 100 grams of Flaxseed Oil

According to the RDA's from National Academies of Medicine: Health and Medicine Division
nationalacademies.org/hmd/~/media/Files/Activity Files/Nutrition/DRI-Tables/8_Macronutrient Summary.pdf?la=en

Males between the ages of 19 and 50 years old require at least:
17 grams of Linoleic acid
and
1.6 grams of Alpha-Linolenic acid

Therefore you would only need to consume about 3 grams of Flaxseed Oil to satisfy your Alpha-Linolenic acid requirements.
But then you'll be at a deficit for your Linoleic acid requirement.

Assuming we consume 3 grams of Flaxseed Oil a day, this will satisfy our RDA for Alpha-Linolenic acid; but will leave a deficit of approximately:
~13.8 grams of Linoleic acid

>>How do we meet that deficit?

Let add some Sunflower Oil.
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/679?n1={Qv=1}&fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby=&Qv=1&ds=Standard Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

According to the full report, Sunflower Oil has:
~65.7 grams of Linoleic acid

Per 100 grams of Sunflower Oil

Therefore we would only need to consume about 21 grams of Sunflower Oil to satisfy the remaining deficit.

>>Putting it all together
For males aged 19 - 50, consuming:
3 grams of Flaxseed Oil
21 grams of Sunflower Oil
each day

Will provide your RDA for both essential fatty acids.

As a side note, there is some literature advocating consuming both essential fatty acids in a 1:1 ratio; but for the purposes of this example we will stick to the published RDA

I'm human mah dude.
Besides, the greatest value comes from the work you personally put in.
Spoon-feeding the information helps people get started on the right path, and opens up a view of what is possible.
But it's not a substitute for your individual effort.

Believe me user, I've done so much work into nutrition.
I wrote a comparison algorithm, that would take large 50+ dimensional matrices and find the best possible combination of foods;
that both ensured an individual would hit their RDA, as well as staying under Tolerable Upper Intake levels.

It was a huge personal project (I invested several thousand dollars into it), and while I had a major set back; I look forward to continuing the journey later.

I think it all goes back to a bit of common sense.
And I'm reminded of a familiar saying:
>>The dose makes the poison

Humans develop diseases if we don't consume enough of a substance.
But we also develop a sickness if we over-consume the same substance.

That's why the National Academy of Medicine (formerly known as the Institute of Medicine) provides Upper Tolerable Intake levels for all the essential nutrients (and speculate/extrapolate when no meaningful data exist).

Either way, I think phytochemicals like Indole-3-carbinol provide great promise for the future.
But modern science just doesn't have enough data to include it among the essential nutrients.

Kale & Spinach, they are the most nutritious for you by a long shot (kale especially.)