Protein powder

Okay, this is the final straw. I'm a skelly and struggling to fit in enough food to meet calories so I'm turning to protein powder. Best brand? I also read this is taken before workout, is this the best option?

Other urls found in this thread:

labdoor.com/rankings/protein
youtube.com/watch?v=NaSu0RgRUh8
hammernutrition.com/knowledge/faqs/are-products-tested-heavy-metals/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I buy from Canadian Protein but you should know that whey isn't some magic gains powder. You still gotta eat a ton if you want to put on any weight

yeah I know. But every calorie counts and I need to meet my macros, and there's only so much meat I can eat. Plus I need that pre-workout kick without spending a shit-ton on some creatine nonsense.

>Canadian Protein
yo I've been looking at their site, do you buy in bulk?

Also for someone whose never bought protien before, what kind do you get? whey isolate or whey concentrate? is this the best cost for your money? also what flavors are good.

OP here, Whey Isolate is the most common type from what I know, Whey Concentrate is for those that want zero carbs and are willing to ingest pure protein, which probably tastes like dogshit.
Best flavor would probably be chocolate. Gives more of a dopamine rush than any of the other flavors, so you can't be disgusted by it.

Concentrate is probably your best bet. Isolate is 12% more protein per serving for 50% higher cost. Though if you're trying to bulk, you could just eat more of the economy whey.

The largest they ship is a 20 kg box.

I buy unflavored and unsweetened then make it with milk, adding about 5g unsweetened cocoa powder and 2g stevia per scoop. I find that all the flavored varieties are just too sweet for me.

They also sell sample packs, toonie each. Grab every flavor that seems good and do a taste test.

Wait I thought protein powder didn't help you meet your requirements, but instead aided in the food you ate to meet your requirements.

Nope. Protein powder is exactly what it says on the tub. A tub of protein in powder form, they mix it with something to hide the taste, you mix it with something to allow you to ingest it without choking, boom, you have eaten protien.

Why not mass gainer?

I've tried ON, BSN, Ghost, and Amp XL

would have to say Amp XL is probably best. It has a blend of Casein, Whey Concentrate and Isolate, and leafy greens. Taste is pretty good, but it's clumpy as fuck and is far and away the most expensive.

BSN tastes good and mixes well, but the protein/calorie ratio isn't as good as the others.

Taking Ghost right now, because Peanut Butter cereal milk is my life.

eat peanuts or nuts, 300 kcal for 1/4 to 1/3 a cup

fellow skelly here
buy whole milk
pour it in a glass
put two scoops of ON double chocolate protein powder in it
stir it up
drink it
it tastes like chocolate milk

that's over 58g protein right there, plus the nice fat from the milk
and in 30-45 minutes, you can easily drink another one
I could drink 4 of these a day, I actually have to stop myself from doing that because it's literally too much protein

Are there any concentrate proteins with digestive enzymes?

I was considering myprotein but then I read that a lot of the cheaper proteins are very harsh on the stomach in terms of GI problems versus something like ON which has amylase added to it.

If you're only eating protein powder to increase your daily intake of protein and calories, then just get the cheapest protein that doesn't taste terrible and mix it with a glass of milk. If you're looking for fast absorption right after a workout, then that's when you go for high quality isolates.

You may find this site helpful, they test different proteins for purity. labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Here
Helped me reach my goal plenty of times easily

You generally take protein after a workout, but it's not super time sensitive or anything. If you ingest it within a couple hours of your workout it'll give you a better recovery period.

The most well-liked brand here is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard as it's a good mix of not too expensive and high quality taste/mix/macros.

The second most-recommended brand is myprotein as it's cheap as fuck and has very similar (technically better) macros than the ON stuff does but the reception of taste and mixability is heavily debated on here. I personally am sick of them as their powder tastes bad and mixes fucking terribly, but if I was on a harsh budget I'd be hard-pressed to pass up the deal.

Just avoid generic brands and walmart brands like Six-Star. Those have fillers in them that usually inflate the protein numbers using technically true but factually inaccurate tests and whatnot.

it's the other way around actually. Whey Isolate is a more pure powder but usually doesn't have many more benefits other than slightly more protein.

Regular whey is the stuff most people go for.

Whey Isolate is for people who are either lactose intolerant or stupid. No point in paying more if you're not intolerant.

Not OP but this is some of my dads leftover stuff he gave me, would you guys reccomend or should I just buy whey?

Not sure why it's flipped

finish it, mix a scoop with 2 tbsp of water or enough to make paste and eat paste

Protein powder is a money sink. Get your shit from real foods. A good replacement for whey is liquid egg white.

Don't cook it. Drink it raw. It's pasteurized.

the fuck does that even mean

Personally I would go for protein powder since those always make me feel sick. I also hear that a lot of them are filled with nonsense shit

>should i use this whey or buy more whey?

Lol well I was wondering if it would be considered the filler shit was talking about

youtube.com/watch?v=NaSu0RgRUh8

I've never had a problem with it. Again, a good idea is to just experiment. Buy some samples. See what agrees with you.

There is litterally no nutritional advantage to eating protein raw.
>but the protein will denature if it's cooked
No shit sherlock. What do you think happens when raw protein hits the hydrochloric acid in you stomach? It fucking denatures, that's what.

I'm the guy you linked to. If you've got free protein powder use it, unless it's total shit. Then throw it out and get some new stuff. Use that labdoor site for reviews.

this is retarded

this is not. Mass Gainer is retarded because it's overpriced food shit. Just buy a couple packages of mixed nuts and other calorie-dense foods and drink a protein shake.

>pasteurized egg whites are raw

you're fucking retarded

>deluded faggots who don't realize whey protein has numerous heavy metals that literally fuck up your mental state

gotta have your powder, right bros?

Is whey the only product with problem?everything else cow related is good to go?

hammernutrition.com/knowledge/faqs/are-products-tested-heavy-metals/

One company actively advertises it on their website.

>but it's a small amount!

Tell that to idiots who drink 3x a day.

fun fact: there's metals in almost every type of food

it's a small enough amount that as long as you're not eating 5 scoops a day you shouldn't be affected by it. Even then as long as you're drinking plenty of water and varied foods there shouldn't be a problem.

I fucking hate shakes so I reccomend mymusclemug. 25g of protein, low carb, but microwaveable cake mix instead of a shake