is it something in the food or water?

lack of nutritional education?

sheer lack of willpower?

Other urls found in this thread:

fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items
gazettereview.com/2016/06/top-10-fattest-countries-in-world/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>work 12 hours a day
>can't just quit job because health insurance comes with the job and i'll lose it and go bankrupt if i need stitches
>no time to cook, too tired from a long day
>come home
>Put frozen food in microwave
>eat
>sleep
>get up in morning
>oversleep
>tfw Mc donalds is all I can afford to eat with my time

>Work 12 hours a day
Still 12 hours left in a day

>Too tired to cook
Dont be a pussy, i do 12h of manual labour a day and still cook and clean myself

Buy frozen vegetables and tinned tuna, not frozen ready made meals. Also buy tinned beans and pasta sauce, microwave beans and mix in sauce + tuna for a super cheap, healthy, easy meal
Also portion control. Honestly the biggest problem in the states by far, show some goddamn self restraint

high availability of low cost unhealthy food
poor health/nutrition education in schools
insane portion sizes at restaurants are the norm

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the U.S. we are constantly bombarded by unhealthy food. I don't just mean in advertisements, but at the store too.

Rows and rows of ultra-processed, sugary foods that are specifically designed to taste amazing but are objectively terrible for you. It's actually harder to buy healthy food than it is to buy unhealthy, processed bullshit.

I'm not saying that being fat isn't one's own fault. You should be able to exercise the willpower to buy good stuff and avoid junk. I'm just saying that like, I get it.

eurofag here, went for a business trip to USA for about a month, here is what I noticed

added sugar was in nearly everything
fast food was cheap as fuck
portions in restaurants were fucking enormous
fatty meats seemed to be staple of everyones diet
even in the gym they were giving customers sweets for free (not Planet Fitness)

No portion control (bigger is always better). HFCS absolutely everywhere and a general culture of eating snacks while watching TV (I know absolutely no one that does this here in France).
Also beer with low alcoholic content (so you tend to drink more).
I got the impression that people are all out considering sports as well. Either you're dedicating 100% of your time to be an athlete and compete at a serious level (especially during high school/college), or you're completely unathletic. The US doesn't seem to lack talented, motivated people to do sport, facilities or available income to do sport, but either you're an Ironman runner, a wrestling state champion or a lardass unable to run a mile.

>but either you're an Ironman runner, a wrestling state champion or a lardass unable to run a mile.
this,there's no gray area

also, everyone seemed to like early breakfasts. We often went to the buffet, I just took a cup of black coffee and sized everyone else's meals. For some of the locals first meal of the day was easily over 1000kcal

Eat less food retard

srs question, are buffets a thing outside of freedomland? I grew up here and even before I was fit I hated buffets but most of the people I know think they are the best damn thing in the world.
>Hey let's go pay $10 and eat as much damn food as our bodies will physically accept

We have them in France. It's not uncommon but you don't usually go there often.

I live in Amsterdam and here buffets are only in hotels, the selection of food is way smaller and it's not as cheap as $10.

So in a nutshell american are basically to lazy and weak considering many of us have hard shitty jobs and low pay. I eat a huge amount of cabbage, broccoli, cheese and eggs and they are easy quick and cheap so fuck lard asses.

German who was living 6 months in NY.

>Everywhere you go there is some sort of fast food
>90% of every supermarket is full of processed stuff and only 5% are fruits and veggies
>People seem to be extremely lazy, no form or exercise or some sort of sport as an hobby is pretty common there.
>Oreos in any possible food form, oreo pie, oreo cream..with high amouth of fat and sugar, REALLY FUCKING HIGH
>Portions are enormous and its not like you get a huge salat there, you get a huge stake and nearly 1kg of french fries
>meat consumtion was even bigger than in germany but way way way less of that meat was clean (not processed)

I you see it from a different view, you kinda ask yourself if this country is not feeded their people to make them sick and pay health care bills.

>a huge salat
DIE GROSS KARTOFFEL SALAT, ja ?
About the only thing I kept from my german courses

It's mostly will power. Why the fuck is it so hard not to be obese? It's literally easier to be skinny than it is to be a fat ass. You don't have to do shit to be skinny. You don't even have to get your lazy ass of the couch to go to the fridge and eat.

*Der Große Kartoffelsalat

The school system in the US doesn't teach proper nutrition, and PE is essentially a 'show up and get an A' class. Also, when I was in school you could optionally have pizza everyday for lunch.

When they grow up, most adults have sedentary lifestyles. Office jobs, or sitting around on the computer, or playing vidya all day.

Cheap and quick junk food is easily accessible. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, since its a byproduct of a prosperous society.

I think a good solution to all of this is holding physical fitness to a higher standard in the school system. And encourage PE teachers to fat shame overweight students.

>country is feeding their people to make them sick and pay healthcare.
pretty much hit the nail on the head, you either have to be born rich or have incredible willpower and budget skills to eat healthy here.
top it off, in the u.s., if it ain't organic, it ain't clean.

>Food is demonstrably less nutritious than it was in the 1950's will massive losses in vitamin content.
>Jobs have moved from industrial to information
>People watch 2.7 hours a day of TV and exercise/sport 18 minutes.
>sixteen year olds are as sedentary as sixty year olds

It's a perfect storm.

p. researching the problems

>The point of a buffet is to eat as much as you can
How American of you
Maybe you should see it as a chance to try a few different things rather than to load up as much as possible

I'm with Krautbro here. Even in Canada most people are in decent shape. A lot of our overweight people are just working men with big beer bellies. We all eat plenty of meat/eggs/dairy but we actually have regulations against the use of hormones/antibiotics in these industries. Even going into wholefoods "health store" in the US has less choice of actual organic whole foods than in the run of the mill Canadian grocery store, and it's more expensive at wholefoods to boot.

in the uk it tends to be mostly Chinese buffets or the occasional multiple types of cuisine (Chinese counter, Italian counter, tex mex counter etc) and you go in big groups on a night out like maybe once in three months to see who can eat through the most
popular with sports teams aswell

The jews bla bla bla

The UK has the same problem.

>high availability of low cost unhealthy food
>poor health/nutrition education in schools
>insane portion sizes at restaurants are the norm
This, plus herbicide residue in many common foods (wheat, corn, beans, peas, soybeans). Specifically glyphosate, which is the active ingredient in Roundup. It's been identified as a serious carcinogen. It interferes with cellular metabolism. It's been banned in the EU, but not here in the U.S.

>all i can afford is mcdonalds

>mcdonalds literally cheaper than its components
I don't see what's so funny. It's fucking sad and it's the ruination of America.
It breeds sickness and mental illness and is a big source of the degeneracy plaguing the u.s. today.

>make them sick and pay health care bills

Close, more like they want us dead in our 50s to remove us from the healthcare industry as we pass the point of peak profitability. It's just sound business practice if you think about it.

Do you even bulk

Whereas I don't disagree with you that the food-substitute that McDonalds sells is disgusting and to be avoided at all costs, I am understandably wary of anyone who uses words like 'degeneracy' with regards to my first-world nation of birth. We have more than our fair share of problems right now, but we're FAR from being 'degenerate'. We're still the greatest nation on Earth (Trump not withstanding), and I'd point to many other countries as 'degenerate' long before I'd point to my own.

Somewhat true. It's more profitable to wait until someone has a disease that requires an expensive procedure or treatment than it is to use 'preventative' medicine.

Buffets are GOAT if you lift heavy and are trying to bulk or maintain tho

easy access to calorie dense food. I'm not even talking about fast food, just stuff people consider food.

Just go look at your mom's pantry. Instant noodles, taco kits, and even soup is super calorie dense.

And all this garbage is considered healthy.

Neo-con detected. Please tell us more about racial purity and how things were better under McCarthy, grandpa.

Affluence(relative to the rest of the world)
Consumerism
Materialism
Individualism
Egalitarianism
Liberalism
Advertising & marketing
Feminism

Did you walk to school up hill both ways too?

I don't give a damn about racial purity, mix it up with the nogs if you want.
What I can't abide by is fat pride, sedentary rednecks receiving foodstamps for being fat, increased violence in young men from the growth hormones in processed food, etc.
It's not entirely the food, but it plays a big role in the rotting of your mind.
I'll admit I grab some McD's when I'm in a hurry, but not every week and certainly not every day.

Rain or shine! And we had school on the weekends too. The ones that were lucky and didn't have to work with their fathers did anyhow. And we LIKED it that way. You kids today are spoiled on your Zimas and your pac-man video games.

>nogs
Ah, I see: you're a RACIST PIECE OF SHIT. So much for any credibility you might have had, nothing you can say now can even remotely be taken seriously. People like you are the REAL problem in this country. We should round all of you up and put you in psychiatric hospitals until we can fix what's wrong with your brains. Or just shoot you in the head and get you and your disease out of the gene pool.

holy shit nigga, you for real? xD

Wall for em

Yes, fuckhead, I'm FOR REAL. I'm sick and fucking well tired of the racism, bigotry, sexism, and other bullshit in my (U.S.) country. It's holding us back; hell, it's dragging us *backwards* and there's literally no reason it has to be this way. You disagree with me? You can fuck right off.

How about we just deport YOU and your ugliness instead?

I'm black you fuckin idiot xD
I said nogs because I assumed and now know that you're a little white bitch.

Don't worry dewdre, this current generation of neo-cons believe so fervently in eugenics that they are allowing themselves to be (in)bred out of the genepool. There is no reason to cull a sterile species.

1. If you use the word 'nogs' (nignogs) then you're not a U.S. citizen, you're in the UK, and as such should STFU about my country, it's not your concern.

2. YES, ASSHOLE, I AM A WHITE MAN, and I am sitting here saying: STOP BEING RACIST to to other white faggots because I'm sick of their racist shit -- AND YOU ARE GIVING ***ME*** SHIT ABOUT THAT? WTF? Get correct.

3. Based on the above: I don't think you're black, I think you're full of shit.

Because we have to drive everywhere you absolute mong. Go to less car oriented cities and people are thin.

>I am a u.s. citizen and I work for the state

>you specifically called me out for being racist, that was not a general statement

>you jus mad white boi

>pac-man video games
okay grandpa

forgot pic

>Hurrdurr degeneracy
You can eat McDonalds and not get fat.

You are whats wrong with America. Stop blaming others for your fat ass boogie.

1. It's mostly blacks and hispaniards.

2. The "fat acceptance movement" is trying to make it illegal to not be fat.

3. Those are really the only 2 reasons.

kek this is total bullshit. Canada is every bit as fat as the US, same with England and Australia.

>>Illegal to NOT be fat

That's when I walk into the ocean and never look back.

Checked and true.

Wait a sec, why are you on Veeky Forums then?

It's quite simple, really. You're just a fat ass that doesn't want to take responsibility for his poor eating habits.

>it's another /pol/ bait thread

/pol/'s reasons for obesity:
>blacks
>feminism
>liberals
>globalists
>(((them)))

actual reasons for obesity:
>selling people food and drink is very profitable
>selling people medicine is very profitable
late capitalism is a vicious cycle of creating problems and then selling solutions to those problems

>is it something in the food or water?
Sugar. Shilling sugar in every possible packaged food, and making sure to market that sugar at every possible opportunity.

>lack of nutritional education?
>sheer lack of willpower?
These go hand in hand. Yes and yes.
America is full of anti-"people who aren't as lazy and ignorant as me" sentiment, and think that "freedom" means "freedom from responsibility for my body and my life"

Also, you'd be surprised at how much a lack of nutritional and physical education can spiral out of control from one generation to the next.

>Going to school
They had me working in the coal mines on my third birthday to support my family and I was one of the lucky ones. But I guess your generation with your fancy FM radio wouldn't know about that.

And globalists selling food and medicine to black, feminist liberals is the most profitable of all.

Yo that hits my macros perfectly at a cost better than anywhere else why wouldn't I go to mcd

I was going to look into actual studies and statistics but with digits like those I know I can trust the verity of your information.

A lot of reasons.
>subsidized sugar production (corn)
>subsidized estrogen production (soy)
>lower and lower testosterone every generation
>denial of nature, boys not allowed to be boys (denial of their aggression instead of education on controlling it), girls not allowed to be girls (higher stress to be career womyn, unhappiness)
>bad product information labels that make food seem healthy
>cultural marxism, body positivity
>barely any physical education in schools
>bad habits inherited from the microwave instant prep meals "nuclear" generation, creating a baseline of bad habits

I live in Norway, and there is a lot of fat people here as well, but I get the impression that people in general is getting more aware of what they are eating.
Especially in terms of sugar, white bread and so on and almost everyone drinks sugar free sodas.

Sure, healthy food is still more expensive, but it looks like we are slowly heading towards a much healthier lifestyle.

Does this apply to other countries as well?

Next time you're in the US, be sure to look for "fitness meals" or low-calorie meals on restaurant menus. Those are usually the normal portion meals.

>We're still the greatest nation on Earth (Trump not withstanding)

Kill yourself, you low-test faggot. He's been helping to improve it.

inb4

>hurrr we're just now seeing obama's improvement take effect

Fit people are becoming more fit, fat people are becoming more fat.

Too many Americans are on food stamps and what's actually covered on those stamps is junk and terribly processed food. On top of that, the ones on food stamps have families of 5 or more thus resulting in a ton of fat families on stamps.

>okay grandpa
autism

>what's actually covered on those stamps is junk and terribly processed food

That is not how food stamps work dingus. Fruits, veggies, meat are all covered by food stamps.

>The Food and Nutrition Act of 2008 (the Act) defines eligible food as any food or food product for home consumption and also includes seeds and plants which produce food for consumption by SNAP households. The Act precludes the following items from being purchased with SNAP benefits: alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, hot food and any food sold for on-premises consumption.
>>fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items

The majority of people on food stamps(not including elderly and real disabled) are lazy and dumb, which leads to them being poor. Society coddles them with handouts, why should they try to improve their own lives...

But I agree the dumb, lazy, poor whitetrash/niggers tend to have 4+children which only adds to their existing problems. Why spend 20 doing meal prep when you can throw a frozen dinner in the microwave for 4.

Medfag here.

Personal theory is that the average person is, for all intents and purposes, retarded.

>work 12 hour day
I fucking wish I could get 12 hour shifts, then I could quit one of my part time jobs.
>ill go bankrupt if i need stitches
Yea, that's pretty true
>no time to cook
Bullshit laziness, but what are Americans for I guess?
>put frozen food in microwave
It's cheaper to meal prep, who buys frozen dinner?
>oversleep
Who the fuck does this? What person has time to oversleep?
>Mcdonalds is all i can afford
Bullshit on about 4 different levels. It takes more time to drive out of your way/stop (even at a drive through) to fast food, and it's cheaper to meal prep anyway.

Americans are so fat because they are lazy and uneducated, because being hardworking and educated are oppressive.

Lived in USA all my life, in multiple states, and have rarely seen anything like this.

>>ill go bankrupt if i need stitches
>Yea, that's pretty true
No it isn't.

car-centric environments, especially if you are a flyover.

capitalism

>almost non-existant regulations in the food industry coupled with all forms of food production being fair game results in the consumer ending up with the most value-per-buck product. fast food is a lot cheaper in the US and people think it's normal to have diarrhea when visiting a shabby restaurant.
>cheap cars and cheap gas and uninsured drivers. put this together and you have a country that has a laughable infrastructure when it comes to public and personal transport. many european cities are build around getting to places on a bycicle, america is all about the car.
>the media centered culture also makes it easy for all sorts of propaganda to slip through. the food pyramid, supersize me and almost every single meme diet originated in america

Students shouldn't be shamed. It's the parents fault.

Lack of self-discipline. Also, the US isn't the fattest nation in the world anymore.
gazettereview.com/2016/06/top-10-fattest-countries-in-world/

>Mc donalds is all I can afford to eat with my time
Bollocks. You are a fucking retard. McDonald is fucking expensive. If I eat McDonald every meal, I will get about $30 per day. That's about $840 per month and that is PER PERSON. You are a fucking retard. Kill yourself imminently.

Anyone who has worked retail can confirm this for you. Being overweight in America is an amalgamation of multiple things: Being ignorant about how much of what you can eat, Being misinformed about how much of what you can or should eat (lol lipid hypothesis), Eating too much, and being lazy.

So many people are stuck up on "eating healthy" when all they have to do is eat less.

those are pretty great macros
but I bet there are some sneaky micros on account of it being processed shittu

FPBP. This is how a lot of Americans look at it.

Like so many societal ills since the 60's and 70's, this can be attributed to more women in the workplace. Both sets of a couple are working all day, and don't particularly feel up to cooking when they get home, so they eat convenience food instead, rather than the wife cooking dinner as part of her duties in the home. And, of course, doubling the labor force halved wages, so it's tough to have a stay-at-home wife.

Takes dedication and planning to spend 30 minutes to and hour cooking for the family after work.

When's the last time you went out to eat? They have this at places like Chile's, TGI Fridays, Outback, etc etc etc. Chain restaurants.

You can buy 2 mcdoubles for $2.50 in pretty much any McDonald's that's like 700 calories right there let's say you're bulking and you want 3500 calories that's $12.50/day gtfo with this bs that fast food isn't cheap it's fucking dirt cheap

More freedom means more divergence of success. There are so many fat americans for the same reason that there are so many successful american athletes.

The only retard here is you. The afford in the sentence was refering to his time not to his money.
>I don't have time to cook good food
not
>I don't have money for good food.

>getting the mad at some simple user on a Vietnamese gourmet popcorn board

>sugar free soda
Just as bad for you, dietary information must be as unclear besides in burgerland

This man is right. When I was a teenager and started buying my own food(because my family are all fatties) I'd buy food stamp cards off a buddy for fifty cents to the dollar. Food stamps got me eating way more veggies.
Also, I work at a supplement store and most costumers do not know anything about nutrition nor do they care. They want a magic pill. When I bring up nutrition I see their eyes glaze over. My nutrition and wellness class in highschool actually had some good info but was still way behind the newer research at the time. Did our parents not have a mandatory nutrition class in school? Is that the problem? Uneducated fatties raising fatties that have brains that look the same as a heroin addict when scanned?

>no it isn't
I mean technically, no it's not.

I got 9 stitches in my left eyebrow one time. The initial bill was for $28,000, all hospital and doctor fees included. For 9 stitches and about 3 hours in an ER.

It ended up costing me about $2,000 once they realized I didn't have insurance and couldn't pay $28,000.

Regardless, it was still $2,000 for 9 (nine) stitches, some tape and gauze (I had stopped the bleeding myself), 45 minutes of doctor treatment, and 3 (three) hours of ER time.

"But what about something serious?" asks people in the audience? I've never had a serious accident myself, but my brother had a compound fracture in his ankle that set him back $85,000 even after reductions, and the only reason he still isn't in debt is due to a charity organization paying for his treatment in exchange for 300 hours of community service.

So basically if you live in the U.S., you either have insurance or pray to god that someone is feeling charitable.

yes, fitness and clean eating is becoming a fad. not a bad one, I suppose.

Bullshit I work 10-12hrs with a wife and kid and my jobs actually semi physically demanding and I still fucking cook and lift.

You're just making excuses and being a lazy piece of shit.

Reddit pls go

high fructose corn syrup

it would be illegal if america wasn't in the throes of late stage capitalism

>Having a job in the coal mines

In my day you were dead from smallpox by 6 months. You whippersnappers don't know how easy you have it with your printing presses.

>many european cities are build around getting to places on a bycicle, america is all about the car
Be realistic. You can fit most of europe inside the state of Texas. We have pretty efficient public transit in most large metropolitan cities. But the suburbs all around the major cities are just too encompassing to have public transit everywhere.