Always found deadlift to be boring

>always found deadlift to be boring
>try sumo deadlifting
>addicted to it

Why is it so superior? More muscles being worked at the same time?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I do sumo on my second deadlift day, I've been pulling conventional for 5 years and sumo for a few months

it really is a lot of fun and it doesn't beat the shit out of me as much as conventional does

It's not so superior. Less ROM. Targets certain muscles groups more.

Only PLers use it, and those that do are cheaters. 500# conventional > 600# sumo

Once you've decided that lifting more weight via biomechanics is preferable to just getting stronger, you've chosen your path.

>works same muscles as squats
>doesn't work back as well
>looks gay

t. have never tried a sumo deadlift

it is not going to automatically be stronger than your conventional, it is a completely different technique and not inherently any easier

>not inherently any easier
It's like 25% less ROM, of course it's easier for the vast majority of people

It works the back.

>it is not going to automatically be stronger than your conventional
I tried sumo for the first time when I was around 4pl8 and it was considerably easier

Like another user said, if you just want to get a biomechanical advantge in PL meets by shortening the ROM go for it. Otherwise i dont see a point unless you want an easier deadlift, but at that point you may as well quit lifiting if you qant it done easier.

ROM is relevant when it comes to rep work, not relevant when it comes to 1RMs

you do not fail a 1RM due to fatigue, you fail it due to not producing enough torque at the joints at some point in the range of motion

strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/

>rom is not relevant when it comes to 1RMs
How come I can quarter squat more for a 1rm?

>ROM is relevant when it comes to rep work, not relevant when it comes to 1RMs
What does this even mean?

Not because the range of motion is shorter, but because you avoid the most mechanically disadvantageous part of the lift entirely

Think about it this way - if you squatted down into the hole and only came up 1/4 of the way, could you squat more? Probably not, but the range of motion would be the same as that of a quarter squat

Most of the heaviest 1RM deadlifts are done with conventional/sumo in about equal measure, the heaviest deadlift for reps are almost exclusively sumo because the shorter ROM makes it much easier to rep out (less fatigue generated)

I'm much stronger at the bottom of the squat (parallel) than at the mid-way through, which is when I have to grind usually. This is because my quads lag behind glutes and hams. So yeah I could squat more if I only came up 1/4 of the way, absolutely.

take a quarter squat range of motion, but restrict it to being right on top of that sticking point

could you squat more? try this and report back

I didn't knew DL worked core that much desu, I tought it was mostly hams, glutes and lower back

DL works almost anything that isn't triceps or chest (and i've even felt my chest straining on tough reps), most people just don't do deadlift with enough volume to understand this (anymore than 1x5 is overtraining CNS burnout it piss it sick)

Why do all women pull sumo? Every chick i ever see deadlifting is pulling sumo.

there's a bias towards sumo deadlift in lower weightclasses because it doesn't require quite as much torso rigidity (which is easier for bigger lifters to maintain), maybe hip flexibility also has something to do with it

So between conventional and sumo, which hits the hamstrings harder, and which hits the lower back harder?

When you do them it FEELS like sumo is more hams and conventional is more back

but i remember seeing a study where the actual muscle recruitment difference was minimal. I wish i could find it to post it

conventional hits back harder, i don't feel much of a difference in hamstring activation between the two

dont listen to this stupid shit. it says deadlifts WORK YOUR CALVES

>deadlifts work calves
>squats work biceps

hurrdurr

Studies have shown definitively that men who pull sumo are almost entirely closet-homosexuals.

But deadlifts do work your calves, not enough to make them grow, but they still work them

>sumo doesnt work back btfo

This.

My group of friends and I all deadlift and we're almost entirely homosexual. I'm part homosexual, but two of my friends are 80 and 90% homosexual.

because its easier to drive with your ass than conventional

hamstrings and lower back conventional
quads adductors and glutes sumo

im 6'2 and both sumo and conv are very similar for me weight wise BUT:

sumo is much safer for rep work (more upright position and you can get really tight with it, second and third reps are easier than first especially touch and go)

conventional works my hamstrings beautifully, but not so much glutes like sumo

Sumo is harder off the floor, and if you get it up just a little bit but not finish you get immediatelly taught a lesson by noticeable pain due to adductor stress

As Ed Coan said, do both because they compliment eachother

doing deadlift just for back development is straight out retarded

its like saying "i brush my teeth but only because i like the taste of toothpaste"

Nigga squats make the whole body, CNS, work like crazy. Overload them and your entire body grows due to more fucking TEST

>it's a test boost broscience episode

test boost and gh boost from exercise is so small and so temporary that it does nothing meaningful to aid muscle growth, this shit has been debunked time and time again and I can't understand for the life of me why people keep reposting it

Good post desu

Eh, you ain't wrong, that it's extremely minute at best. Still puts yer body under heavy stress which surely demands adaptation

How the FUCK can conventionalfags ever recover??

>what are straight legged deadlifts

>tfw 2pl8 sld for 3x5

Get some leg presses or calf raises in and you'll definitely see 8-12% gains on those levels.

It would be more apt to compare the quarter squat range of motion at the hardest point of the lift.

In a deadlift it's the floor generally, so a deadlift from the floor to your knees is still pretty useful work, whereas a squat a quarter from the top isn't.

I started pulling sumo because I wanted to strengthen adductors and groin (dancer), and it just feels so right. Easier to grip the bar too, not quite sure why though

They've also proven that if you do arms on leg day your biceps will grow at an increased rate.

Tbh you sound like an idiot.

Sumo is for gay ass fuckin faggots. Bottom line

BTFO