Dizziness (over 2+ years now)

Hi Veeky Forums, I have been suffering from dizziness for almost 3 years now.

So, before I start, I know the best thing is to see a doctor, but I've been countless times so figured why not see if fit can help.

Ill try to give as much info with as little typing.

Have dizziness for almost 3 years now. Dizziness started as an unbalanced feeling, constantly having to steady myself against walls or doors etc. Since then (thankfully) it has gotten better but still persistant. Now, it almost entirely is a constant feeling of swaying/rocking/dropping sensation in my head. As if my head is falling, or rocking on a boat. I have been to a general doctor multiple times, an ENT, I've had a VNG test (Air blown into ears etc, very unpleasant), a CAT Scan, an MRI, blood work and they cannot pinpoint what it is.

It is NOT a sensation of VERTIGO. Things do not spin for me. However, I have had maybe 4 instances of this type of dizziness happen in my life, usually years apart. I have had them test me for BPPV with no signs of troubles performing these tests. The only things that currently help me is taking Valium per perscription, usually 5 MG a day. Which is fairly low but it mostly comes on strong at night. When I am out and about during the day and working, it is not really an issue. However, when I get home to relax or lay down to watch TV in the recliner, or lay in bed, my head just feels like its swimming. I dont do drugs (other than the valium), have had no head injuries, I dont drink. I am overweight, 250lbs, 5'10", so I am definitely fat and need to lose weight, however, I was basically this same weight for quite some time now and never had the issue previously.

I feel it noteworthy to mention I have an astigmatism in one eye and my vision isnt terrible but most of the time things are blurry. However I have used glasses and have not noticed a difference. The glasses just make me feel weird so I rarely use them.

Any help is appreciated.

Constant dizziness or with exertion, change in position?

Well, I would say its probably effecting me during the day, I just seem to notice it more when I am not as active. Hence night time is the worst, when im watching TV or trying to sleep. I can also wake up not feeling great too, but its typically at night. Me exerting myself can seem to make things worse, but not typically brought on by that. And chances in position make me momentarily bothered, but not for more than a few seconds, and nothing major.

How old are you?

sleep apnea right now buddy, i have it as well going tm actually to my ent

I am 32 years old, male.

I will provide as much info as I can. I am not expecting a miracle here, although I would honestly really like to know whats going on with me. Im usually a pretty upbeat person, not really very negative. I dont ever have thoughts of suicide in the past, and while now things have been very difficult, I do not think of suicide as an option, however the idea of it pops in my head in the sense like 'what if im still dealing with this in 5 years, 10 years' etc. I have 2 kids and a wife to live for, this has been very difficult for me.

I actually do have sleep apnea... I have a machine for it as well. I never thought there would be a connection between using that and my dizziness. How can they be related? Also I suffer from GERD I believe. I have a sensitive stomach and acid reflux. I daily take pepcid tablets, or occasionally pepto. I sleep elevated. But I rarely use my machine because it bothers me. However I have used it in the past for a couple weeks and didnt seem to make a difference? I know thats not very long however. When I wake, I feel kind of like pressure in my head/ears.

You type like a hypochondriac, drink a couple glasses of water, eat something if you're hungry, put on a funny move or read a book

And you are suffering from dizziness as well? If so, I feel for you. A lot of people dont seem to understand how detrimental this can be. It causes me a lot of frustration as to them, I might typically appear normal.

both of those are related to sleep apnea. but you may have UARS (i have this) if cpap doesnt help you much. sleep apnea fucks you more then you know

I had to google what that was. Dont mistake this for me being overly sensitive to my well being. Before this all started happening, I didnt pay attention to my health very well, so its not like I am overly concerned at every little thing that happens to me. I am trying to be as detailed as possible in case SOMEONE knows something about this or might lead to additional information. If so , that would be great. If not, then im in the same position as I am now.

I drink water fairly often, I eat when hungry, I watch movies and tv shows that offer me enjoyment. I used to love to read, now because of this, I cant focus as well and it is very dificult. Just one more thing its taken away from me

Based off what you're saying they've done is rule out bleeds, tumors, infection, and general stuff like hydrocephalus.

Just like anyone else doing their job, doc's are good as doing what they do regularly, and can get tripped up by common things.

You won't get a good diagnosis here, but I think a good start is reading about the variations of encephalopathy and any neurological balance disorders you can find, then just rule things out on your own.

It does not sound like sleep apnea, at least by itself. Especially for symptoms to persist and worsen without changes in respirations. Not using your machine over a long period could cause hypoxic brain injury, but dead tissue shows up pretty well on a scan.

Lose the weight, keep following up, keep asking questions.

No lower extremity swelling, lethargy, or shortness of breath?

>UARS
Thank you, I will try to be more mindful of using my cpap and see if that makes any kind of difference.

I know I am probably expecting too much to think that there is a magic cure for this. But I just dont see how one day I was fine, then the next its this life changing, ongoing problem.

You and anyone else who has been offering up information have been awesome. Even if nothing comes of it, it gives me things to look into. I am beyond desperate.

In regards to lower extremity swelling, meaning what? Legs? I dont have any swelling that has been pointed out or that I have noticed.

Lethargy, absolutely. Not a dead tired kind of thing, but definitely not close to the level of desire to do things I used to do.

Shortness of breath, yes. Even mundane shit like tying my shoe can cause this.

I do appliance repair, so im constantly up and down on the floor, or in weird positions.

Also, to note but I dont know if this has anything that can be related, because of my work in the past, I had an upper umbilical hernia. They performed surgery to correct this and since then it has not returned. But the dizziness started after this was done. Not immediate, but maybe a few months. Just to throw it out there.

If I get no further replies, I just wanted to once again say thank you to everyone who has provided any input. Thanks very much

UARS is not a bad bet. Your work exposes you to a lot of stuff that can cause their own respiratory issues along with exacerbating other conditions.

Leg and ankle swelling is a good early sign of fluid pooling which means loss of heart or kidney function.

I will look into UARS further and speak with my doctor about it more as well. Thank you again.

yeah push for a sleep study, but even better a sleep endoscopy, i had to fuck around with docs for a year before i could get one and figure out what surgery i need

They have done a sleep study on me, which is how I ended up with my CPAP machine. I dont know if there is something further that I need to ask them to do during this test? I guess a sleep endoscopy? What is that specifically?

I have had a endoscopy for when they went to check out for my upper umbilical hernia surgery. Is it the same?

get put to sleep then they watch to see how you sleep and look for obstructions

I see. Other than a CPAP machine, is there any type of things that can be done for long term or permanent fixes if something does come up during this test?

if i knew it id love to share but im suffering out here rn. try cold showers

Any problem with hearing that might indicate an inner ear issue? Eye strain?

What is it you are suffering from? Dizziness as well? The same type that I am describing? Its like pulling fucking teeth to get them to refill valium perscriptions. Even though I brought in my medication showing them I use it far less than they allow. They just dont want me to become dependant on it, which I understand, but its the only damn thing that helps.

Hearing tests checked out fine, they said my hearing was good. They dont see anything that would point towards an inner ear issue. Eye strain? In what sort of way? As I mentioned above I do have an astigmatism and my vision is blurry almost always to a degree. I do at least a few hours of work on the computer every day as well if that gives any additional info. But even on days when im not on the PC, it still comes up.

Hey dude, me again. I don't think you'll gain anything from another sleep study besides the ability to compare results and establish trending.

It's easier to talk about non respiratory stuff because it's more black and white and measurable. Neuro symptoms secondary to respiratory disorders are weird. Imagine all your tissues are operating with decreased resources 24/7.

>Hey dude, me again. I don't think you'll gain anything from another sleep study besides the ability to compare results and establish trending.
>It's easier to talk about non respiratory stuff because it's more black and white and measurable. Neuro symptoms secondary to respiratory disorders are weird. Imagine all your tissues are operating with decreased resources 24/7.
Thanks again for the reply, ill really buckle down and start using my cpap more often. Thanks for all your help

Holy shit OP bear with me for a second- where do you live and what is the climate like and how does the climate change during seasons?

Also do you get a sensation of ear fullness when dizziness is present or possibly dry feeling eyes? Maybe made worse when you have a lot of water to drink or when tilting your head down to piss?

Mine was sleep related, I had a massive TBI and as a result developed extreme insomnia staying up 2-3 days with no sleep and would typically developed a popping sensation in my head that would make the whole room thump and it felt difficult to stand and I'd sway.
Usually disappeared after 15-20 seconds but occurred frequently after missing even just a day of sleep.

Did you ever get a head injury ? I got two concussions myself and some of the symptoms were coming back once in a while for over a year. Other than that as another user suggested, it might be a ear problem.

My guess is try to figure out how it started 3 years ago, what change happenned.

Could be a collapsed eardrum.

Get a doctor to look in your ears