What's Veeky Forums's stance on video games?

What's Veeky Forums's stance on video games?

Okay in moderation, or a total waste of time/energy/money?

Nothing has a meaning so everything we do is a waste of time

I have a switch that I play on a plane. Other than that I don't play games.

They were fun and time having fun isnt truly wasted but nowadays I can't stop thinking how unproductive they are as I play. Wish they honed some skill beyond hand coordination

Quitting vidya was the best thing I've done this year.
You may or may not have a problem with it, but if you have to ask, you probably do.

Wasted money on upgrade earlier this year, should have spent them on supplements or a good PT instead.

>good PT

Oxymoron.

>supplements

All a waste of money besides protein powder/creatine.

A "gayming" PC gives you unlimited access to more information than any other time in human history and the ability to run countless amounts of software applications. This is best done on a fast computer, gaming computers are fast, so you might as well build one of those, and hey, from time to time, you can play some video games on them at ulta-HD resolution with maximum graphics.

t. 7 year lifter, life-time PC fag (30 years old)

This. It's a good time but I can't stop thinking about how I'm just wasting away doing nothing.

We get it, you're a teenager and also edgy and nihilistic as fuck

I play dota at an above average level. Its extremely mentally stimulating but also provides instant gratification so makes me not want to do anything else that is productive. So i play in moderation.

sorted just got bored of video games about a year and a half ago, control of time wasting feels greater but you need to be careful of 'spending' all this freed up time on other equally worthless activities i.e browsing fit for 4 hours instead of 1 in place of spending those other 3 hours on video games, spend that gained time on something better...

>good PT
>Oxymoron.
Can't argue with that though.
>ability to run countless amounts of software applications. This is best done on a fast computer
Too bad all I do is webm converting sometimes.

I like having a hobby that isn't increasingly expensive, I have yet to find an interest that is as cost efficient as gaming.

For the most part, my hobbies are:
>Airsoft
>Casual vidya
>Muy thai (I can't fight beyond training because of floating patella)

I can't even really airsoft cause I'm an ausfag and anything fun is banned over here. Gamings my only option if I don't want to fucking die in the bush.

what mmr are we talking?

I'm still spending a lot on time trying to climb while focusing on other aspects aswell.

But honestly I'm thinking I'm so far down it's not worth the time invested.
I just wanna get up enough so I can have real games with coordination with 5 people

I played thousands of hours through my teens and would still play if there was a single good competitive shooter with a scene. I guess its a good thing games today are made for the casual shitters so that I wont waste my time playing them. Only game I play anymore is quake live every now and then.

Veeky Forums seems to either orbitate towards nihilism or that christian conservative jordan peterson sorting yourself out get married and have kids yadda yaddery

Quake Champions is in beta and it's getting some good hype

Im 4.4k in SEA which is absolute cancer.
And yes teamwork is everything in dota. I started climbing the mmr ladder after i started putting thought into my picks which made a huge difference in my gameplay because it forced me to be outside my comfort zone with a lot of heroes and made me make a lot more active decisions. The average in SEA is about 2.5k.

videogames have been losing their novelty for me as the years go by... I think its because in the past and as a kid, I played videogames in addition to everything i already did

Now I have nothing but videogames, and they dont satisfy me anymore

deny my statement

Which really are the two only reasonable options

Work, internet, fitness, and vidya (I also read a few manga) are the only things I do so obviously I'm going to take a favored stance on them. Most of the new games are honestly shit so I've been going through the old ones, the only modern thing I really play anymore is LoL. Though right now I'm doing a solo run no reload of Baldur's Gate II and it's fun as fuck. Currently in the Underdark.

>tfw you can never go back to no-responsibilities carefree mode
This is probably why I enjoyed games way more back when I was younger

Honestly dude I wish I could stop playing games. I think I might be addicted. In moderation it's fine but don't let it consume ya life. I will sometimes take breaks to work out but it's fucked up my diet and sleep schedule and my grades and shit

Well I just dropped a lot of money on parts for my first build so Ill be playing at least for a few more years.
Who knows maybe I will grow out of them since work and gym take up most of my time but I still play before bed and on weekends as much as I can.

read better manga

Played it. Its trash. I hope it picks up tho, Rapha and co. deserve it.

You are only allowed to play Chad games, and strictly on the worst console.

I don't really like playing most vidya, but I really enjoyed the STALKER series. It's mostly online games that I have a problem with (anything from WoW to CS:GO.) I find them addictive so I don't play them.

My taste is fine you faggot

What does orbitate mean? I googled but could only find old latin translations pertaining to bereavement. I am genuinely fascinated by how you used it in this context.

Edit: I'm guessing it's a weird mix of orbit and gravitate, but I'm sure it isn't a real word.

I dropped to 4.5 and at this level I play like an absolute retard, yelling to my russian allies and doing shit like permacharging barathrum till we win or lose.

Dota at that level is the opposite of stimulating, it's relaxing.

I play a lot of OW myself, and Dota, single player games I can't get into despite having bought a 4k TV and a PS4pro recently.

It's just pastime. I got not problem with it.
Though I can't enjoy video games anymore, either all new games are shit now or I got bored of it.

I Played starcraft 2 a lot when it came out (grand master level on US/SEA if anyone cares). I was quite competitive and won a small amount of money.

On the one playing sc2 influenced how I think a lot, especially about competition. I also loved the competition.

On the other hand it was a lot of time investment and I could have done a lot of other things, like get better grades at engineering school, get Veeky Forums sooner, bang chicks etc.

I don't regret it but I don't play video games at this stage in my life (26).

You know there are scholarly philosophers that have argued against nihilism if you even bothered to do an ounce of research on the subject before coming to a Mongolian cave painting forum and preaching it, yet you come here and act like an intellectual. Get fucked dumbass

4k on SEA is like 5k+ on any other server because of the pure cancer players. Last picks are usually carries. Everyone plays for kills. objectives are thrown out of the window.

Hypocrite that you are. Will you fight? Or will you perish like a dog?

I mainly play RPGs and platformers with my girlfriend now.

Used to be in to competitive games but for some reason I get so fucking angry at them now. Not the game itself but the pathetic little dweebs who are just super toxic.

Don't know why, used to be immune to that shit when I was a teenager. Been playing overwatch recently trying to get to top 500 and I end up muting everyone half my games because I can't stand listening to them.

Going to get some games now, just had a huge gym session where I deadlifted 585x4 and my mate benched 485 weighting only 200. I always play really well when I have that post-exercise high. Feels good man.

video games are great, im in my 30s and still play them. Anyone who says they are too old for video games is deluding themselves and think they have to conform to societies views that pleasure from video games is a sin. Typical western philosophy steeped in religion and cultural bullshit. The video game industry is larger than the film industry. There are video games out there that will blow you away to rival some of the great books written. To be honest the fact that you have to question weather they are a waste of time is ridiculous.

Your mate an elite powetlifter?

>Video games are degenerate
>Meanwhile spends 5+ hours on Veeky Forums erryday

Yeah he's the number 1 in his weight class in my country and I think he came 6th at IPF worlds last year (have to check).

>You know there are scholarly philosophers that have argued against nihilism

And they all failed to refute it.

This guy gets it.

STALKER is goat and the ability to get hooked with online games is extremely high and can be huge time sinks.

Most new ones are utter shit.Can't recall the last one that gave me some feeling of actually gaming. Plus we got the cancerous overwatch and souls tier "games" so I avoid gaming these days.
I do have a 3ds which I play sometimes,snes,gba,gb and gbc emulator on my phone, and n64, gamecube and wii emulator on laptop .
I'm quite literally set for life when it comes to gaming, I don't actually give a fuck about newer shit games. Just wanna watch the gaming industry crash and burn

Gaming is my life. I have a pc, switch, windows 10 tablet and I can't wait to go to Florida and buy a new 3ds xl.
I come home from work and play games on the computer then when my gf gets home I go and play games on the lap top and when I go to bed I play I the switch.

Holy...

academic philofag here and no they didn't.

I play anime games and visual novels, fills the void between lifts.

Pic related.

Stopped playing CS about a year and a half ago, wasted several thousand hours, ended up playing two seasons in EASA open.
Like i said, stopped vidya and was having a great time, some reason started playing again, but nothing like before. Reckon I should stop again.

It's the easiest way to kill time. Thankfully once I'm burned out on a game I rarely if ever pick it back up again. I've never been much of a gamer for the past 5 years since I discovered Smash Bros. but I've burned through most of the Total War games. These days, like said, it feels like a waste of my time but I can't find the motivation to do much else.

I stopped playing vidya because they became too expensive. I also realised that I was wasting a lot of time on them.

source of pic pls

Rb6

As an adult I can't fully enjoy them as I have the nagging feeling I should be doing something better with my time

Sometimes I wonder if my life would be better if I were as normie as you.

I'm not normie, I'm just autistic about other things. Like lifting weights and Sonic the Hedgehog.

My niggha

I play them more in the summer than during the rest of the year due to school. I wake up and go to the gym/run 5x a week, work 8 hours, and then come home and play vidya until I go to bed. As long as I ween myself coming into the next semester, I'm fine.

That's all I do when I'm not working or lifting. Come to think of it, all my closest friends are shut-ins that lift just like me.

Titanfall 2 is really good, desu. You ever thought hw alpha it is to stomp on people with giant mechanical monsters? Or launch a barrage of rockets at an unsuspecting npc?

Okay in moderation
However, time could be spend more productively, but that can be said of most hobbies that don't require some sort of useful skill or physical exertion.

It doesn't help you to get Veeky Forums, at least.

Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth 1

Do whatever you feel like, but i feel like i can't get as much entertainment out of them as i used to before. Now that i have a job and lift, when i play video games, i feel like i am wasting my time (except when i play with friends).

Treat them like you would any recreational hobby, play them to wind down but they shouldn't be the focus of your life.

well i work in the video game industry so when i play i see it as something important, i take notice of what works and what doesnt for me, what parts of the game did i enjoy? how can i build something similar? what doesnt work? if i see im getting addicted to a game i just stop its not that hard

i kind of lost interest in games desu, i buy a game, play like a couple of hours then move on

Bad servers

Nice shill that game sucks dick compared to the old halo games

I was a big video gaming nerd until after I graduated college. It was my primary "hobby" but I've recently stopped playing altogether. I wish I could get back all the time I spent playing. I cringe at how much time of my youth I literally threw away playing videos games.

If you have nothing of meaning to do you can't be wasting time.

The more I think about it the more I think video games are terrible for you.

The problem is how they reward you with power you dont have and status you dont deserve. The best games make you feel like an all-powerful billionaire champion godking.

But you're not. You will get all of the dopamine hitting your brain, but none of the long-lasting results that you get in real life, like job promotions and happiness.

Games are the best way to achieve nothing in life and feel terribly depressed.

Video games ruined my fucking life.

I played sports, had friends, talked to girls, went to parties, went to camps, worked, was active and involved every day. Life was filled with positive and negative emotions. Then halo 2 came out and I became addicted and turned into an autist. Now I barely feel anything, the years (literal years of accumulated hours) have burnt out my brain and im fucked.

I have over 4000 hours on dota 2, over a year total in steam played time. God knows how much on xbox and before that on other games and shit like pokemon

Before I fall asleep or as I drive along on highways I recall my memories. I can only remember a handful of them that involve playing videogames. I wonder what life would have been like if I had spent that time with friends and family or doing fun things instead of looking back on years of life that I barely remember anything.

I'm terrified of when I'm old and I have nothing good to look back on because I pissed away my life behind a screen

Alex is that you ?

vidya is pretty good but you should put other priorities first then enjoy vidya as a pastime

>I recall my memories. I can only remember a handful of them that involve playing videogames.

my thought process as well, its scary to think about how many hours ive spent gaming and how little memorable events happened in all that time

I see people saying that video games are a waste of time and that time could be better spent doing something else however not really clear on what else that "something" is...

Have a solution before you critique a subjective problem

i hear ya dude. im not into the 1v1 style as i prefer team based competitive shooters.

csgo is so fuckin bad, caters so much to shitters. i want so bad for someone to bring simple shit back. actual fuckin skill....not 5-7 is better than the m4 run around pistol round fucked money system. FUCK it riles me up. i can't believe it has such a huge following still since it hasnt made much progress since 2012 in terms of movement and shooting (BASE FUCKING MECHANICS)

i need to start running instead of gaming

For certain game the problem is incredibly obvious.

Take MMOs where the object is to level up and improve your virtual avatar with skills and items. Or simulation/strategy games where the object is to build a successful empire and earn lots of money.

In these cases the solution is quite obvious, you should be doing those actions in real-life. It's much, much harder. It can be incredibly boring and frustrating. But the hard work pays off spectacularly.

You don't really believe that guy is a chad, do you?

>wake up 6 am
>jog up and down stairs for 15 minutes to wake up
>shower and go to work
>get back from work and lift
>play vidya until bedtime
A perfect life.

lmao kys

Don't be such a dramaqueen

but user if you really enjoyed those hours playing vidya you wouldnt regret it tbqh
what are you new hobbies?

Who here making their future kids go to camps and do real life stuff instead of giving them a computer

Wish my parents did that

Same here. My parents didn't let me have my own computer until I needed one for school (thank God) but my dad got me into video games and I'm going to make sure my kids stay away.

Me too, man. Me too.

I mean he's not wrong though.

They're okay as long as you don't use them to escape responsibility

I'd sooner give them a computer they can learn employable skills on than a tablet with internet access

There are better things to do with your time, but there are many more worse things to do with your time
I mostly (re)play old games I either loved (Deus Ex, Thief: The Dark Project) or games I never got the chance to play (GTA III era GTAs, VtM:B)

What's the maximum number of hours someone should play video games a day?

2 is really top end

>tfw just watched pro players playing real football match on twitch

I used to play vidya for 12 hours a day
i was depressed, unmotivated and lazy

now sicnei begun lifting everyday i barely have time to play vidya.
i sitll shitpost a lot tho

the only video game you should ever be playing is pic related, with all the realism mods.

The Veeky Forums wiki says 1 hour 30 minutes, which sounds like a good amount.

I like them, but the frequency at which I play has taken a nosedive the last few years.

These days online MP games are fucking cancer (especially MOBAs) and most of the IPs I give a shit about are dead or a shambling corpse. It works out to about 2 new ~40 hour games a year on average.

That being said I'm still a huge faggy nerd in Chad's body, so most of my free time is tabletop and reading.

>Used to be in to competitive games but for some reason I get so fucking angry at them now. Not the game itself but the pathetic little dweebs who are just super toxic.

I feel this. The overlap of "enjoys competitive games" and "not an insufferable faggot" is paper thin.

>tfw honestly scared of having children because your work can be undone completely by the wrong friends

I remember my English teacher telling me this over a decade ago where I saw it happen every day.

>their kids
haha I wish. video games and lifting are my life, never developed social skills beyond them. finding someone to have kids with is only a distant dream.

Games show me how undisciplined fuck am I. I failed so many times because of it.

>That being said I'm still a huge faggy nerd in Chad's body, so most of my free time is tabletop and reading.
we are the same person?

i was such an angry person when i played league and dota 2, but since quitting 3 years ago my quality of life has improved tremendously, i say theyre fun but have a limit and dont get too hung up on them

haha you can also access information on a cheapo netbook, what kind of justification is that for wasting time on computer games