RESISTANCE BAND GENERAL /REEEBG/

So whenever I use resistance bands I always feel like I get a great workout. What I mean is that I can easily fatigue all the muscle fibers in my body. What's more is I can stimulate the muscle fibers in a far more efficient manner than free weights because I can perform every set to full failure without fear of my form breaking down and getting rekt by the weight. Studies have shown these fatiguing reps to be the most beneficial for muscle growth and it's possible to perform more such reps with bands than with weights. The same can be done on lever machines of course however there's no stability aspect so muscle fiber recruitment will be less. Cable machines work too but you can do a wider variety of exercises with bands and well you don't need a cable machine.

Some people say eventually you can't progress with bands or you can't do linear progress. This is false. You can do another rep or do another set in case you cannot move a higher resistance. I challenge you to find someone who has to do too many reps with a lower resistance to be feasible but can't move to a higher resistance bands.

Is band only training legit? I think so. The muscles don't know where the resistance is coming from and they're exceptionally good at fatiguing the muscles. If the muscle can't do another rep, how can iron be any better?

continued...

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24983847
amazon.com/Fit-Simplify-Resistance-Exercise-Instructional/dp/B01AVDVHTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499718790&sr=8-1&keywords=resistance bands#customerReviews
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bands are safer. There's heavy eccentric phase on free weights where people most get injured and none on bands. Some worry about the band snapping but I've never seen anyone get hurt this way.

You can train in any plane of motion and in a more natural range of motion since you aren't inhibited by gravity and can position your grip however you choose. This allows you to press and pull from every angle.

My instincts tell me free weights are harder and should thus work better but my muscles fatiguing tell a different story.

Surely bands aren't ideal for optimal strength gains but they're still good for it and great for building muscle and endurance.

What do you think Veeky Forums ?
I think bands are grossly underrated and can entirely replace weights, gyms and fitness gurus and it's a conspiracy to keep quiet about them...

Interesting approach, are there different thickness bends for progressive overload?

What exercises do you do? What's your routine?

The biggest issue is there is no band on earth which will stress you enough to grow your lower body.

Band resisted upper body stuff is fun though

yep
pretty much exactly what you'd do with free weights
one leg lower body band exercises can stress lower very hard. i do a stagger stance straight leg deadlift and i feel the burn in my hamstring and low back.

That might be OK now, but a year from now, it's unlikely you'll have a band thick enough to make this difficult

Stop telling everyone

I dunno about that bro I have a full home gym. I pulled four plates from the floor with trap bar and could easily pull more if not for joint issues. I'm not exceptionally strong but I'm strong enough to know and don't see an end in sight with these bands. Don't get me wrong. Bands aren't great for optimizing 1rm's but they're GOAT for everything else.

what type do you have? What do you all recommend?

Your lift is only limited by the end of your ROM when using a band. It's much more difficult to pull the band from 3ft to 4ft than it is from 1ft to 2ft. Won't this cause imbalances and give you nonfunctional strength?

If you're making progress with them, and getting bigger and stronger then absolutely keep going with this

The amount of volume I lift while at the gym cannot be compensated with, in any way, shape or form, with a resistance band. They are excellent for some isolations but not for a general strength purpose.

Furthermore, I always bring them with me when I travel since they're small and light.

No it actually follows your muscles natural strength curve where you're weaker at the beginning of a movement and stronger through the rom. This is actually a limitation of free weights not an advantage. I can use a higher resistance band without being shoestringed by my strength at the beginning of the movement

The strength output of your muscles does not follow a linear curve the way a resistance band does. Suppose you can curl a 25kg in a full ROM. Do you really think you could curl 50kg if you started from halfway up?

They are not optimal for maximizing 1rm's but they do indeed build strength.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24983847
I can move more weight, absolutely. This isn't a matter of debate it's a scientific fact.

Of course you can pull more with a shorter rom but you can't double your lift. Can Eddie Hall dl 1000kg only doing half the exercise? No. You're delusional

Are these good enough? amazon.com/Fit-Simplify-Resistance-Exercise-Instructional/dp/B01AVDVHTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499718790&sr=8-1&keywords=resistance bands#customerReviews

post body and time lifting

Where do you get this "double your lift" crap from? Nobody said that. Jim Stoppani wrote an excellent bit on the subject,

> Another reason linear variable resistance, as provided by elastic resistance, is beneficial is due to what is known as the strength curve of muscles. The linear variable resistance provided by elastic tubing better mimics the strength curves of most muscles. A strength curve refers to the way a muscle’s or muscle group’s strength changes over a range of motion. Because of their anatomy, most muscles increase in strength over the range of motion until a certain point. Again using the biceps curl as an example, as you curl the hand toward the shoulder, the muscle gets stronger up until about the halfway point of the range of motion. Thus, the biceps muscle is weakest at the start of the exercise and strongest at the halfway point of the exercise. When doing a biceps curl with a free weight, the individual is limited to how much resistance he can use by how strong the biceps are at the beginning of the exercise (its weakest point). That means that during the biceps curl, the muscle is not receiving adequate resistance when the muscle is in its strongest point in the range of motion. When performing a curl with elastic tubing, however, the resistance increases as the range of motion increases. This means the muscle is receiving greater resistance at its strongest point in the range of motion and therefore is receiving more adequate resistance to better stimulate strength adaptations

i prefer the flat kind they sell at places like rogue, elitefts, etc

t. roider logic

>Where do you get this "double your lift" crap from?
Resistance bands are Hookean. The restorative force is directly proportional to the displacement of the band. If you are halfway through your rom, then the restorative force has doubled. This does not mimic your muscles. Jim Stoppani is vastly overestimating the difference in strength of your muscles through the full rom.
Also, in the biceps curl example, he states that the muscle gets stronger up until about halfway through the rom. So your muscles are weaker as you continue past this point. The resistance band only gets stronger.

> does not mimic your muscles
it mimics your muscles much closer than a free weight does.
> So your muscles are weaker as you continue past this point. The resistance band only gets stronger
besides the point which is that you won't be shoestringed by a weight too heavy to work your muscle through the rom where it's strongest

Here is a braphog for posting something fitness related, OP

>it mimics your muscles much closer than a free weight does.
Not at all. Your strength does not fluctuate that drastically. A constant weight is significantly closer to matching your strength fluctuations than a linear increase.
>besides the point which is that you won't be shoestringed by a weight too heavy to work your muscle through the rom where it's strongest
What? Can you restate this? I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean

> Your strength does not fluctuate that drastically
yes it absolutely does. consider a board press vs bench press or deadlift vs rack pull.
> What? Can you restate this? I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean
i worded that poorly. with free weights, you will not be able to use a weight heavy enough to challenge the part of your rom where you're strongest because you have to begin the movement from a weak position. with bands this isn't a problem because you can use a resistance that starts low enough while increasing to match resistance through to the point where you're strongest. this cannot occur with free weights, not with a full rom lift anyway.

>consider a board press vs bench press or deadlift vs rack pull
Sure, you can definitely lift more in rack pull and board press compared to their counterparts but you wouldn't come close to a 2:1 weight ratio. Also, there's something to be said about the lesser amount of energy required to perform a shorter rom exercise.
>with bands this isn't a problem because you can use a resistance that starts low enough while increasing to match resistance through to the point where you're strongest
But after you reach your strongest point, the band gets "heavier" while you get weaker. You still wouldn't be able to properly max out at your strongest point.

> but you wouldn't come close to a 2:1 weight ratio
again with this shit logic. nobody said it would and there's no reason whatsoever to use this ratio at all.
> But after you reach your strongest point, the band gets "heavier" while you get weaker. You still wouldn't be able to properly max out at your strongest point
yes however note that you are able to train through your strongest points whereas with free weights you would not even break the floor and thus never ever be able to optimally strengthen your strong point. with bands you can use a lighter band to strengthen lockouts.

It's not shit logic. Those bands are Hookean. If you double the displacement, the restorative force doubles. If we can't agree on this then there is no point arguing because we're talking about two different things.

no the resistance depends on who made the band. for reference some of mine are in ranges of 25-80, 50 - 120, 60 - 150 and 70 - 170. Furthermore I have a wide range of smaller bands I can double with to increment resistance.

Been doing calisthenics for 10 months, I don't use resistance band but I do do weighted push ups/dips and weighted pull ups
Currently can do 5x8 56lb push ups, 5x5 56lb dips and 5x5 30lb pull ups.
Weighted calisthenics is the way to go.
It's amazing.

You are wrong. Ever seen someone put bigass chains on the bar? Starts lighter ends heavier. No gay rubber bands required

yeah that solves one problem but none of the others and then you gotta carry a bunch of gay ass chains with you.

F=-kx is Hooke's Law.
F is the restorative force
x is the displacement
k is the spring constant
Your bands are in the ranges you gave due to varying spring constants. Yes, the restorative force is not only dependent on the displacement but also dependent on the spring constant. However, the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the band. No matter the spring constant, if the displacement doubles, so does the restorative force.

what matters is the lower and upper range of resistance supplied by the band for my training. nothing else.

Refer to my original post to see why it's bad for training

we already had this discussion. you lost. goodbye.

>I'll just say the same thing I said before without actually refuting the argument

it ended when you failed to counter this and then you started babbling on about hooke's law with no concept whatsoever of how bands can be properly used and abused for any form of resistance desired. now go kys you dumb faggot.

I work out at home with barbell and dumbbells, but I want to get some bands so I can do
>face pulls
>external rotations for rotator cuff
>band tricep pulldowns from the rack

What should I look for in bands? Best brands? Attachments? What size/weight should I buy?

You probably won't know what resistance you need so it's good to get a wide variety. I got 7 bands in all and mainly use 2 of them but the others come in handy. I like the flat bands made to be used with barbells. I think those are the most durable. Not sure on brands. The tube band kits look interesting but i've not used them. Just get some flat bands and google resistance band handles if you need. Also push up handles are very useful for the heavier bands. Smaller bands are easier to hold in the hand without a handle .

god you're a fucking idiot stop posting

>i've just been faced with the reality that I know jack shit about elementary physics and therefore restore to blissful ignorance