Strength: Low Income. Cardio: High Income

Why is it that weightlifting, powerlifting, crossfit, bodybuilding etc. is more prevalent among the blue collar/service types, while cardio: 5ks, ironman, triathlons, rowing, etc. are popular among white collar types? (doctors, lawyers, corporate manager types)

This is from my experiences training in hardcore gyms, while spending the rest of my day with the white-collar types, and from general observations of the fitness community.

Other urls found in this thread:

psmag.com/social-justice/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221
youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q
raw.githubusercontent.com/halhen/viz-pub/master/pastime-income/pastime.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because officefags are gay

Fpbp

Pbpf

Have you seen how much triathalon bike frames cost? More than you can afford pal, Ferrari.

>ociologists, it turns out, have studied these covert athletic biases. Carl Stempel, for example, writing in the International Review for the Sociology of Sport, argues that upper middle class Americans avoid “excessive displays of strength,” viewing the bodybuilder look as vulgar overcompensation for wounded manhood. The so-called dominant classes, Stempel writes—especially those like my friends and myself, richer in fancy degrees than in actual dollars—tend to express dominance through strenuous aerobic sports that display moral character, self-control, and self-development, rather than physical dominance. By chasing pure strength, in other words, packing on all that muscle, I had violated the unspoken prejudices—and dearly held self-definitions—of my social group.

psmag.com/social-justice/half-lifts-workout-says-social-class-85221

Probably explains:

Real white collar people go to expensive gyms at country clubs and play rugby
Middle class cucks are the ones doing marathons

Probably because of the cultures surrounding both.

White collar workplaces are a lot less confrontational. The culture in running circles often emulates that of the extremely neutered workplaces that they inhabit a large majority of their work lives. They are also generally more educated and thus concerned with living a longer life, which cardio and healthy eating with lots of fiber and less meat accomplishes.

Weightlifting is often associated with more confrontational, blue collar working environments. Working at a factory or a warehouse often requires great physical strength and people use that an excuse to show off that physical prowess in dick measuring contests i.e. "Who can pick up the heaviest thing?" or "Who can do X task the fastest?". They are often less educated and more crass and unrefined.

These, of course, are all generalizations from personal experience. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Interesting.

I've got a bachelors and master of science in electrical engineering. I lift weights, train BJJ and Muay Thai.

>train BJJ and Muay Thai.

lol weeb

Cope, real rich people hunt people for sport and have underage super models shit on their chests afterwards

>underage super models shit on their chests afterwards

Spirit cooking confirmed

Blue collar jobs are sausage fests
White collar jobs you have to work with bitches
It's good to have muscle when your around Johnson

delet this

>a brazillian (although passed down from japs and modified) grappling art and a jungle gook striking art
>weeb

come again

>puts on pajamas and pretends to be a super saiyan while cuddling with other men
>too scared of black people to go to an actual boxing gym

this is you

It's odd I think. I work a high end job and weightlifting has helped me mentally, I feel and look better in the office. Then again I don't go for the huge look, I'm content at otter mode. And I know a lot of medfags love it here on Veeky Forums. If you ask me, weightlifting is underrated among the upper class because of the "I'll get too bulky meme"

I have a CompSci degree, 6 figure job and live in the suburbs where houses are 300k at least.

I lift weights and box. I did however grow up in basically the ghetto and im not even black.

>I lift weights and box
>doing two things that actively work against each other

how did you get a CS degree?

Gains are more immediate with strength training and long training sessions aren't necessary.

With endurance sports, you need lots of free time to train, and gains come slower and are less visibly apparent.

It's that delayed gratification, marshmallow test thing. Also cardio makes you smarter than weight training.

>Also cardio makes you smarter than weight training.

citation needed

>implying boxing is better than muay thai in NY fashion
Stay at home and don't go outside lest a gentle breeze carry you away faggot

Eat my ass jabroni fuckboy

Because white collar workers are fucking pussies who have never actually worked for a damn thing in their lives.

Not him but it's common knowledge at this point. Fucking google it. Cardiovascular activity boosts brain function, circulation to the brain, neurogenesis, etc. You ignorant subhuman.

Leaders of businesses & docs/corp lawyers have never worked for anything?
Bro they have worked harder than most people to get there - be jelly

I went fro white to blue collar and I'm happy with it.

>White collar
>Network Admin
>most of my day is spent on Veeky Forums doing nothing
>work is always on call, often get called in on weekends and nights
>have to get various certs to keep my position
>generally more soulless yet more stressful

>Blue Collar
>Lineman/Manhole Inspector
>come in early, leave early
>get sweaty, get dirty
>basically dead lifting manhole lids multiple times a day
>no stress, work my shift then go home and do what I want (work is from 5 am to 2 pm so I have a ton of free time)
>much more rewarding in terms of feeling like I worked hard

Blue collar is better.

>thinks network admin is white collar
you were always blue collar m8

DO BOTH

Sorry to burst your herd mentality bubble, but white-collar workers lift just as much as we do, only thing is they aren't stupid or egotistical enough to take steroids.

Smart people prefer to not make retarded lifestyle choices.

rowing and triathlons are expensive
long-distance cardio takes more time than strength training
weights are not that expensive, and lifting makes you stronger which is a good thing if you're a blue-collar.

Dat you Dan?

Yeah, this is a great reason why. My Dad and I went shopping the other day for a new bike for him. The first actual triathlon bike was 5k.

the cardio-only types are typically highly-educated urban leftists

actual high net worth individuals into athletics, and i know quite a few, tend to both lift and do cardio, and they really, really don't give a fuck what a bunch of yale english graduates think

Too bad Yale English graduates run everything except for maybe those Harvard cucks

Blue collar boxing and rugbyfag here.
I think its mainly the retards who focus only on cardio stuff, Ive been running for 20 years or so. Most ive ever done is a half marathon, any more seems to be retardedly damaging to your body.

a massively muscled, bald kickboxer, who happened also to be a handsome gay biotech lawyer, stood behind me during bench press

pbjidf

t. strength, cardio, flexibility, and posture master race

>But I can’t stop thinking I’ve betrayed Rippetoe,

>Dainty do nothing white collars are more likely to shun hard work
Colour me surprised.

this seems half-true. but it doesn't explain why both white-collar office guys and barstarzz-type homedawgs both go for gymnastics. there are a mix of both in the park I go to, no point trying to classify them, we're all just improving ourselves

>too much of a manlet to get big and strong
>"I never wanted to be big and strong anyway it's vulgar"
lmao

Because Upper class people are busy and busy people don't have time for progressive overload.

You can adapt to walking, running, and biking relatively fast. After the adaptation is complete, the "runner's high" effect of cardio will reinforce your desire to do it daily.

Weight lifting is hard and gets harder. Why do so many people fail to do the program for things like Starting Strength and Stronglifts?

Is it because they are complex programs? Hell no.

It is because adding weight every session becomes very hard over time.

Need to run on 5 hours of sleep? Sure, do it.

Need to overhead press in the 100's on 5 hours of sleep? That's more of a gamble.

In summary:

Busy people like simple repetitive workouts (cardio/hiit).

Less busy people can invest time and willpower into weights and progressive overload.

>Just do boxing
>Pay more just to do boring shit

Those are red bumpers btw. That's more like 495lbs

>Need to overhead press in the 100's on 5 hours of sleep? That's more of a gamble.

No it sounds like you're a weak pathetic twink

>Upper class people are busy
watching paint dry and money multiply on its own, I presume

Cardio is great for mental gains, so it stands to reason its something they would prioritize.

Also I get the feeling that alot of fuckups like myself end up lifting weights to compensate for other things, and it gives you a false sense of accomplishment runners dont need.

>see blonde german bunny running her 15th mile
>thanks to my squats and hummus, my Muslim body is filled with testosterone and type II muscle fiber
>sprint and catch up to blonde qt because distance runners are shit at sprinting
>she sees my beard, gets wet
>stops running
>"Ahmed, your type II is superior to my type I"
>yell Allah Akbar while i impregnate her
>sprint back to gym to continue supersetting bench press with kabob consumption
>mfw short bursts of strength and energy > long steady state cardio

Only rich people can afford the training gear necessary for cycling and shit like that.

From my own experience rich dudes weight lift but they do so with the amount of dedication you see out of the ones that do cardio which is barely any.

They just buy personal trainers at shitty 24hr gyms or buy their own home gym equipment.

My brother in law makes over 100 grand a year doing personal training for rich clients at like a grand a month per client

White collar faggits only run because its what all the other white collar faggits also do it. Shits a run away effect, like all the kathmandu /out/ faggits, they buy shit and go for a 2 hour walk because theyve been marketed to.
If you meet real outist theres fuck all dresscode, I wear a wool sweater, my tradie shorts, a cap and some gumboots when im fucking about hunting.

tl;dr People are retarded monkeys who are influenced by advertising and what others are doing.

Upper class = professionals like doctors and lawyers.

youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q

Because cardio is the domain of the obedient, taught to keep theri heads down, grind and brown-nose. The institutions have been set up so that such people are give privileged access to money and power as they can be trusted to do what they are told and not think for themselves.
This is not a useful analysis, since it provides no solution to make yourself or your kids succeesful.

classic gymcel résumé

i read once but never tried if you train for "distance" sprints (the kinds that make you want to puke and hurt your gums somehow), your overall endurance will be increased without having to waste hours training endurance.

Why? Because cardio is easier. That's literally it.

how long could you read in one sitting, something that wasn't entertainment?

Said in a retarded way but essentially yes. People want to fit in, I also think it has something to do with white collar people being inside all day. Maybe running is there opurtunity to be outdoors (or as close to outdoors as you can get in a metropolitan shithole).

raw.githubusercontent.com/halhen/viz-pub/master/pastime-income/pastime.png

Here's something to chew on. Running is right up there with Golf, tennis and going to the theater, but lifting is still popular with above-average earners.

I think it's more accurate to say that a lot of affluent people have a "nerdy" self-image as well as a lot of discipline, which cardio sports fit well with.

How'd you get that gig? Sounds bretty nice desu

sysadmin here
I actually work when I'm at work, maybe that's why you got tired of being a network admin?

That's upper-middle class.

Upper class: Practically all income is from ownership, and they make enough to live very well that way.

Upper-middle class: Income is earned at work. Can afford to live the way the upper class does, but has to spend a lot of time in the office typically. Typically has a graduate degree from a good school.

Middle-middle class: Typically has a bachelors degree or less-valuable grad degree. Lives comfortably with a few luxuries and works full-time.

Lower-middle class: Typically has less than a bachelors degree and enjoys little autonomy at work. Lives frugally by necessity.

High-working class: Enjoys a lot of autonomy and free time through some blue collar profession that makes a comfy living.

Lower-working class: enjoys little autonomy at work and has little education. Lives frugally by necessity.

Underclass: Doesn't work, and doesn't have family support to live comfortably without committing crimes or begging.

Im a plasterer who makes 40k nzd a year, I have my house payed off and I have time to go hunting and stuff during the week. Also im a cheap bastard, but thats more from upbringing.

What one am I?

the president of my company does do a lot of marathons . . .

Hot take:

Blue collar types use their bodies every day and consider their bodies to be an asset to their professional lives. Therefore they enhance and refine their bodies to make greater use of them and to show their pride.

White collar types use their brains primarily, and see their mind as their professional asset. Their bodies are just a place for their brain to live, so they prioritize cardio and other low-impact exercise as a maintenance procedure just to get their bodies to last longer.

Are these just American biases though? Or is this true globally?

I've had plenty of engineering professors from outside the US who used to be wrestlers and weight lifters

Why are Americans so effay?

Almost no white collar play rugby outside of college.

All the strongest guys in my gym are very wealthy - most of them own businesses. With the exception of one police officer.

I personally think it's differences in stress and the kind of outlet the work out offers. Low income people are more likely to have lower self esteem as well.

Long distance running is very time consuming and requires you be with yourself a lot, for long periods of time. You inevitably have lots of self reflection. If you have low self esteem, this will be terrible for you.

Strength training requires you push your muscles to take more and more punishment. You tear your muscles everyday and force them to grow. It's aggressive and punishes your body quickly almost by beating up your own body. It's an acceptable form of self harm, that's productive.

Cardio is a steady hum.
Weights are a loud explosion.

office jobs are often high in females. If you look or behave like an actual male in corporate world - you will have a harassment suit on your ass in no time.

Most men in those offices want to fit into slim cut dress shirts and not intimidate their female coworkers.

Most of these white collar faggots tend to be men in their 40's. Who wants to look like one of those pencil neck faggots? I tell you endurance sports, especially cycling, ESPECIALLY CYCLING IS FOR FAGGOTS I TELL YOU. Seriously, cycling can fuck with the sensitivity and libido of your dick. Think about that next time you see another bright colored fully geared faggot bicycling on the road.

There are a lot of stupid gaycunts in this thread, A LOT.

Not everything is this black and white you blathering idiots, life ins't a rpg you lanky manlets!

No wonder it's all going to shit.

>while cardio: 5ks, ironman, triathlons, rowing, etc. are popular among white collar types? (doctors, lawyers, corporate manager types)
Look up how LISS got created in the 60s/70s and went mainstream in the 80s.

>running
>not highly competitive
>not highly posturing when running faster/further than another person

>never actually worked for a damn thing in their lives.

>doctors
>never actually worked for a damn thing in their lives.

Sure thing buddy. Is that how you comfort yourself with your current position in life?

NAH

RUGBY IS THE SPORT FOR THE HIGH CLASS.

> americans so effay

Veeky Forumsggot hypebeast detected. Americans are fat as fuck and obese.

Iron Man and Ultra Marathon competitors die during races bruh, try again.

>sports for Irish
>high class

That's funny

White collar faggots are mostly men in their 40's who do cycling and marathons to remain healthy. They're old and married so lifting might not be much use to them.

Idk much about blue collar faggots but

Younger and college aged males in general whether they are rich or not usually weightlift in the gym to be aesthetic or take up some kind of sport like Lacrosse, soccer or football. they have decent muscle mass and not twinky like those gay hairless runners

False. Disciplining your breathing to adjust to a fast long distance run is harder than increasing lifts, even when you push so hard it gives you acid reflux

white collar fags are low test liberals or wage cucks

A few have handsome/male model tier faces so why do they need to lift. the rest idk

I'm a neurologist. Probably about 1% of male doctors lift at my hospital, perhaps 2% run marathon or triathlon, and almost everybody does recreational cardio (mostly hiking at thr nearby mountains). The top dogs don't have time for a hobby so perhaps if you commit the sin of pursuing frivolous excessive bodily engagement it's easier to hide your 2 hour marathon than your 160kg bench.

That's Bullshit. 4 out of the 5 richest people on earth are sons from rich fathers and the only difference between a blue and a white collar worker is that the white collar got support since his early childhood and the blue collar worker don't.

Not one single rich person worked for their success, it's naive to believe that working hard equals success.

One observes this even on online discussion forums. The discourse on the world-famous LetsRun message boards, which, although the site allows membership, are about as anonymous as Veeky Forums, is at a much higher level than anything one finds on Veeky Forums or resistance exercise-focused reddit site /r/weightroom.

There's obviously a selection bias -- something about cardio appeals to smarter, financially successful people -- but I also suspect that this relates to the emphasis on overeating, or bulking, in weightlifting circles. Excess body fat reduces cognition.

por que no los dos?

>tfw no handome, jacked, gay, successful and rich friend to nurure and mentor me

Its only the private schools in Dublin that play rugby really, apart from a few scumbags in Limerick that is.

With that type of mindset, you will be poor your whole life. Have fun with that.

I go to a student gym in the Netherlands. Plenty of guys with PhD's and multiple master degrees that go to the gym and are big enough to be labeled meat heads. I guess this is just anecdotal evidence, but so is yours. You need numbers to prove what you claim.

you're living the life. Soon i'll be there

>But I can’t stop thinking I’ve betrayed Rippetoe

Lifting weights, it is.

>europe

Do they get their protein from hummus or muslim semen?

fuck off back to ledddit cunt

>crossfit

I know plenty of yuppies with >70k paying jobs that do crossfit

>2000+17
>not realicing that it takes a marathon runner mentality to succeed in life

started running again after not playing soccer anymore just because of that

Are they actually strong?