Were the Egyptians really all that powerful? I mean, I get the cultural and architectural significance of them...

Were the Egyptians really all that powerful? I mean, I get the cultural and architectural significance of them, but what about their military might? From what I can gather, they were almost constantly someone else's bitch to play with. First the Hyksos, then the Assyrians, then the Persians, then the Greeks, then the Romans, then the Arabs. Hell, I'm probably missing a few. To my knowledge, the furthest they ever managed to reach was Kush to the south and Canaan to the north, but never beyond that.

As far as international domination and military prowess are concerned, these guys really didn't seem that impressive to me. It seems like, for a good portion of its existence, ancient Egypt was primarily a province to a foreign, much greater power.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Wvw6BivVI&ved=0ahUKEwjl35WflMjZAhXKTbwKHasgCX8QwqsBCE4wCw&usg=AOvVaw1MGi7OFN4zVf0ZeYkLwkW9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they where also Britain's bitch in the 20's through late 40's but in '56, Egypt itself mocked both France and England on the world stage in the Suez Crisis, but yet again, around a decade later in '67 in the six day war, Israel wiped out something like 3/4ths of Egypt's air force in a couple of hours...

>Hell, I'm probably missing a few.
The Nubians from Kush conquered them and ruled for around 80 years, the Ottoman Turks also ruled over them for a few centuries.

And like said, the Brits also owned their ass.

Thanks. Man, Egypt really does seem to be history's town bike.

What was ancient egyptian military complexity like?

Did they have actual formations, use signalling tools like standard bearers, and a proper military hierarchy with ranks?

Yes. But keep in mind that their heyday was in the 2000s BC, and they had several millenia of history. By the time we get to history that's at least decently well recorded - past the bronze age collapse - they're much weaker than they used to be.

The New Kingdom military had organisational structure and separate units, like infantry, cavalry and navy, and the military itself was split into two parts, one in the north and one in the south. Each part was overseen by a general who only answered to the Pharaoh himself.

So, yeah, ancient Egypt, or at least one component of it, had something resembling a conventional hierarchical military, but the Egyptians' main problem wasn't really with their organisation, it was more to do with the fact that they were so fucking primitive in comparison to their neighbours. They were still relying on shitty spears and bows and arrows, on top of the fact that they didn't even wear armor. Basically, they were still relying on painfully outdated Bronze Age shit while everyone around them had already moved onto iron. That's why the Assyrians managed to conquer them so easily.

Daily reminder Egyptian infantry was so weak they had to rely on the BLACK man to fight for him.

During the New Kingdom Period, Egypt controlled everything from Nubia to Assyria, it was the world's largest Empire at the time and fought the Hittites (the other world power) to a standstill.

Only after that does the real decline start. But yeah, Egypt had its time in the sun as THE world power.

You gotta remember that what we call "ancient Egypt" was a bronze age civilization from a LONG time ago. The powers that conquered it were from the iron age and later.

Ancient Egypt existed for a very very long time before then during which it was arguably the most advanced civilization on the planet. It is also worth noting that when the bronze age collapsed and the other bronze age civs collapsed in the wake of the sea peoples, Egypt survived.

Do we know how complex their organizational hierarchy was?

I'm trying to get a frame of reference to how they compare to Mesoamerican military complexity during the late post-classic (Such as for the Aztecs); or rather, get an idea of how Aztec military complexity compares to old world cultures and who they'd be most comparable to: They had a fairly complex and formalized military rank system and bureaucracy, as well as private military orders/guilds; fought in formations and used back mounted standards and standard bearers for identification/coordination and used horns and conch shells for relaying orders.

>Hyksos
Ended between them with the Hyksos never heard from again
>Assyrians
Couldn't control them for 10 years

And keep in mind all the of what happened was in the span of 2,000 years

EVERYONE of their eastern neighbours except for the Arabian peninsula have a history of the same occupations and even more

They had other ethenicities too from Libyan to Greeks to Sherden, they were incredibly wealthy so why not

Egypt's military was long gone around Assyria's invasion, they were fighting Nubians and I wouldn't know about primitive or not. The 26th dynasty actually had the Greeks retrain the population again. The Machimoi were a warrior class in Egypt around that period.

I don't know if pic is accurate or not t.bh

They stomped every power at the time that was to be stomped.

They had a chariot caste born and bred for the purpose of war, essentially eugenically crafted super soldiers of the day. The maymays is real maine. Center of the world for a long time. Being at the crossroads of tech, civ, and the Nile. Kush, Sychthians Minoans, Greeks, hittites, babs, sea people. Held as a regional/world super power for millennia (??) Until eventual subjugation by otto roach then btfo by Anglo/proxxy Jews.

google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Wvw6BivVI&ved=0ahUKEwjl35WflMjZAhXKTbwKHasgCX8QwqsBCE4wCw&usg=AOvVaw1MGi7OFN4zVf0ZeYkLwkW9

That Sphinx is fucking old man.
They’ve been around for a while, or at least somebody before them was. That’s a long time to stay relevant.

EB2's stuff is pretty accurate. really the only proper depiction of proto-arabic/moorish infantry that i've found.

>Egypt itself mocked both France and England on the world stage
Just England

French did their job during the conflict, it's the Anglos who ceded under the pressure of popular opinion.

The Hittites defeated Egypt in that war, that's the modern consensus. And they weren't known as particularly good warriors.

WE

Took you long enough

No. I have seen historians disputing that

Maybe you're trolling but the whole black rage bit sounds genuinely retarded. It boggles my mind that you can't see how people in all seriousness automatically put you on the autistic spectrum. Like even 99% of people who hate blacks will read that comment as straight neckbeard autist.
inb4 I'm some liberal sjw... Christ

There are people on this site (and others ofc) that unironically jerk off to the idea of "white extinction" so even tho I imagine most posts like that are shitposters, there is always the little bug in the back of my mind telling me he could be for real.

Maybe this is the conspiracy theorist in me but it's so consistent and sounds so similar that I get a feeling it's coordinated propaganda.

This.

It's easy to forget just how old Egypt is. Add to that how conservative they were and how their neighbours viewed them, then their history makes a deal of sense.

I'm pretty sure they never ruled over Assyria.

Yeah that map is bullshit, at most they temporarily held those territories for a short while.

This is more accurate but they lost most of the territory beyond modern day Egypt fighting the Hittites.