Irish History

Irish. My country's history is filled with English oppression, Protestant/Catholic strife, and a struggle for a free/united Ireland. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vCsYCnEVsv8
youtube.com/watch?v=BkbIgNdBMW0
youtube.com/watch?v=b9IeWmgt4d8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick's_Cathedral,_Dublin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_College,_Dublin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald's_Tower
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Ireland
twitter.com/AnonBabble

our history goes back far farther than 1169. In fact we have some of the oldest literature, language, monuments and stories in Europe. There was time when the Gaels were by the dominate force in the british Isle(or as I would like to call it 'The Celtic Isles'), a rich and thriving vulture which held the reputation as being 'the land of poets' for our unequaled standard of bards, fllli, ollamhs and seannachies. We also have some of the greatest contributions to literature and music in history practically beating the anglos at their own language

>'The Celtic Isles')
>a rich and thriving vulture
Yes, the bird who devoured the rotting corpses of classical civilization and romano-british culture

>couldn't farm potatoes
>think they have contributions or culture
hmmm..... Did I mention St.Patrick was Roman?

A-are you me user? Let me guess, part Irish ancestry but setting it aside to bait serious Irish posters?

stop this meme. the famine was a planed genocide

But the British told me it was a fungus or something....

Wales, england, Scotland and France also had the potato blight and were unable to grow them, the only difference was all the country's other food sources weren't being shipped out in an attempt to genocide the Irish population

So all memes and bait aside-how do we get back at them without resorting to pipe bombs? Those didn't seem to work. Not looking to get on a watchlist or destroy Britain more than it's already destroying itself at the moment either. Is there a soft solution?

potatoes had only been in Ireland for 2 hundred years, what do you think they ate before that? Ireland had even more food resources than england at the time. The potato blight hit most of Europe at the time (including england) but the English intentionally starved the Irish

You kick back and wait. Loyalism and Unionism in NI is ripping itself in two day after day. Sinn Fein haven't done a single noteworthy big political move in decades, and despite this there is now a Nationalist Majority in the NI assembly.

If you wait long enough, the UK will just lop itself apart.

Also OP, Irish history is fucking boring if you obsess over "muh brits."

forget about getting back at england, instead we have to help ourselves, both the english and Irish are being attacked by the same enemies, we need a nationalistic alternative

Your country now is an abomination, like most western countries. You people shouldn't call yourselves Christians or Catholics anymore.

Legit a powerful post. I'm inspired and I'm not even there.

sinn fein have turned into marxist cucks. Support the National Party if you're a true Irish

> My country

>supporting Sinn Fein
Nah, not what I meant. The only reason they have support in NI is through lack of alternatives. NI Catholics are generally quite conservative and will likely sway to FG post unification.

SF don't really have the support of the people, but people do love Gerry Adams.
That being said, out of the two parties to blindly vote for SF seem like "the good guys" while DUP are "the bad guys but they stop SF taking over" which is hilarious because the DUP are so fucking godawful at their jobs.
SF's "support" is not sustainable and will SHATTER the second actual other possibilities appear.

England botched their invasion(s) and management of Ireland so hard that it can hardly ever have been considered rightfully "theirs." It was a shitshow from start to finish.

>or as I would like to call it 'The Celtic Isles'

>tfw all anyone wants to talk about in Irish history is the Famine, the Easter Rising, and maaaaaaaybe the 1798 Rebellion if you're lucky

Convert to Protestantism it's your only hope

best boys get some love in cool Veeky Forums history threads

sinn fein are just playing along with the marxist agenda. They will pretend they are nationalistic by going for a 32 county 'independent' Ireland but we will be instead controlled by the eu and our ethnic population and culture replaced with middle easterns and africans. Barrett said it best youtube.com/watch?v=BkbIgNdBMW0

no not irish or part irish. i like irish history but i enjoy baiting irish threads as well

I agree, they have no real direction beyond that generic left wing stuff.
However as I said, their support will continue to grow out of lack of other options. In an actual unified Ireland SF support wouldn't last 2 elections.

I'm Irish and love Ireland/Irish history but shitposting in irish threads is a lot of fun. That being said, NI Loyalists are probably the most fun people to bully.

a united Ireland isn't an urgent need right now, what is more serious is the population replacement underplay right now which is far more dangerous than anything Cromwell ever did

A lot of Irish people are obsessed with their image of national victimhood, and so will downplay the eras of Irish history where the Irish had any social or military success. For example, you don't hear much about the early medieval period, where the Irish were highly regarded for their intellectual pursuits and defeated a foreign invasion, or the late medieval period, where the Irish started to win victories against the Normans, integrate them into their society, and use their connections to their advantage. But you will hear plenty about the high medieval period, where the Irish were initially overwhelmed by the Normans and suffered a devastating social upheaval.

What's most annoying is when people frame Ireland's history as one of constant submission and capitulation. The same people who do this are usually avowed Irish nationalists who glorify the IRA, which confuses me. I'm reminded of a Sinn Féin councillor who, when opening up a history conference in Derry, included the phrase "when Ireland was conquered by the Vikings".

>be irish
>can't fish
>starve

> The same people who do this are usually avowed Irish nationalists who glorify the IRA,
it's so they can present themselves as the saviors of the country. "only my sect is capable of liberating this country from a history of unending oppression."

Why did so many Irish go to the States?
I mean there's more descendants than in Ireland proper.

Ireland was united in 1920, but the catholic taliban decided to split with another inquisition

I'd be reticent calling them the "Celtic Isles" because at this point we're not even sure who the Celts were, where they came from, or what they believed.
I think Tolkien put it best when he said that "Celtic" was just a generic lump category for stuff that didn't fit in elsewhere. He said it more eloquently, of course.

>Argentina
Wasn't one of the leaders of the Chilean war of independence Irish as well? Redpill me on Irish influence in South America

>Redpill me
Fuck off back to /pol/

we wuz britonz.

only in arjentina

arjentinos narizones (big nosed) are Jewish european wannabees and have nothing to do with latinos, they are not real latinos but the refuse and garbage of europe which probably explains why so many poorfag irish micks went there

Also falklands are british.

yes bernardo o higgins liberated Chile and was its dictator

Fuck off newfag, the term redpill has been used long before /pol/

>English oppression
>ohh no those english basteeds building shit n civilizin muh free ancestors

What exactly is it that you think England actually did in Ireland?

>England botched their invasion(s) and management of Ireland so hard that it can hardly ever have been considered rightfully "theirs."
Yes, dear. Of course...

Fuck off back to leftypop child murdering apologist.

youtube.com/watch?v=b9IeWmgt4d8

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick's_Cathedral,_Dublin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_College,_Dublin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald's_Tower

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Ireland

>i-i-ireland was never really anglicised

bit weird how much independence movements are played up but the gaelic cultural distinction isn't really

Many immigrated during the mid-to-late 1800s during the famine. They left mainly for the US and liverpool, i believe

Based Anglos.

I like irish and Ireland. It's fucking sad that Ireland is last celtic nation in europe and even now in their own country their own language isn't most predominate one.
I hope ireland will retake north back and expel all anglo influence from there, making Irish island a celtic ethno-state.

jesus christ cringy fuckhead
what is wrong with this board

Ireland is british clay.

England is French clay.

>expel all anglo influence from there, making Irish island a celtic ethno-state.
Good luck with that when the terrorists who advocate a united Ireland are literal Marxists.

There should be a united Ireland tbqh.
However it should be under Her Majesty The Queen.
Ireland should be given all the rights it deserved when it was part of the UK and be helped out economically too.

King Edward VII wanted to make Ireland a dual monarchy like with Denmark-Norway.

lmao what an absolute dolt

How equal were Denmark and Norway when they were in their union? I know very little about that time and place myself.

I always wear a kilt because I'm Celtic
I'm Irish and I was born in Ulster

Irish genocide didn't happen, but it should have

>A lot of Irish people are obsessed with their image of national victimhood
Typically because they're West Brits/East Yanks.
Start talking about a time before their ancestors were here, they get uncomfortable!

>Ireland should be given all the rights it deserved when it was part of the UK and be helped out economically too.
More like "should have". But that was never the plan, you wretches.

France is German clay.

Who /Gallowglass/ here

>Redpill me on Irish influence in South America
Since nobody answers you, I will.

In Argentina you have more than a million Irish descendants, one of the largest Irish communities in the world, because Argentina at the time of the Irish emigration was linked to the British Empire economically, very rich, but Catholic unlike places like Australia or Canada, so many Irish ended up here.

Descendants are present in all sectors of society, the "father of the Argentine Navy", Admiral William Brown, was Irish, he led the navy during the Independence Wars as well as the Cisplatine War against Brazil. Then in the 20th century you've got famous journalist Rodolfo Walsh, Che Guevara's full name was Ernesto Guevara Lynch (half Irish), you also have a former WW2 President, Edelmiro Farrell, who declared war on the Axis. There was also a famous children's songwriter, Maria Elena Walsh, whose works have been compared to Lewis Carroll. More recently, Conservative Economist Ricardo Lopez Murphy almost wins the 2003 elections.

my ancestors definitely did, came to the states just in time for the Civil War, things were obviously rocky for a few generations but overall they ended up doing pretty well for themselves. Wish I could go back in time and thank them for making the right choice and seeing it through

>their own language isn't most predominate one.
nothing wrong with this
English is the best language

>where the Irish started to win victories against the Normans, integrate them into their society
what a great excuse for centuries of anglicisation

>Typically because they're West Brits
how does slagging off britain for 'muh oppression' make them west brits?

I just wish we grew up speaking Irish. It's so sad our language is discarded by the majority of young people as useless. There needs to be a big change in that regard.

'I like being shot and blown up,' the post.

Stop being so butthurt. Ya lost.

Please recite some of this poetry or literature.

Messe ocus Pangur bán,
cechtar nathar fria saindán;
bíth a menma-sam fri seilgg,
mu menma céin im saincheirdd.

Caraim-se fos, ferr cach clú,
oc mu lebrán léir ingnu;
ní foirmtech frimm Pangur bán,
caraid cesin a maccdán.

Ó ru·biam — scél cen scís —
innar tegdais ar n-óendís,
táithiunn — díchríchide clius —
ní fris tarddam ar n-áthius.

Gnáth-húaraib ar gressaib gal
glenaid luch inna lín-sam;
os mé, du·fuit im lín chéin
dliged n-doraid cu n-dronchéill.

Fúachid-sem fri frega fál
a rosc anglése comlán;
fúachimm chéin fri fégi fis
mu rosc réil, cesu imdis,

Fáelid-sem cu n-déne dul
hi·n-glen luch inna gérchrub;
hi·tucu cheist n-doraid n-dil,
os mé chene am fáelid.

Cía beimmi amin nach ré,
ní·derban cách ar chéle.
Maith la cechtar nár a dán,
subaigthius a óenurán.

Hé fesin as choimsid dáu
in muid du·n-gní cach óenláu;
du thabairt doraid du glé
for mu mud céin am messe.

Mfw irish have the secret to eternal life
>Katherine FitzGerald, Countess of Desmond (c. 1504 – 1604) was a noblewoman of the Anglo-Norman FitzGerald dynasty in Ireland. English writers of the Tudor period, including Sir Walter Raleigh, helped popularise "the old Countess of Desmond" as a nickname for her, due to her longevity. One estimate placed her age at death in excess of 120 years. Another ranged as high as 140. Most likely she lived to about 100.[1][2] A recent biography of the countess suggested that Katherine was at least 90 when she died.[3]

Justify