Why does Paris BTFO every other city in historical relevance?

Why does Paris BTFO every other city in historical relevance?

And these graphs are about birthplace, they don't even take into account how half of the rest all moved to Paris.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is paris and france listed separately?

>world famous French writers
???

Probably some people whose birthplace is listed as France without further detail.

What's the source?

Should have spent less time sniffing glue in school.

I'm from the US so my view may be biased, but i literally can't think of a single French writer.
I know a few English ones like Shakespeare and Dickens and quite a few Americans like Hemingway, Twain and poe
But literally can't think of any French

>Proust
>Balzac
>Maupassant
>Zola
>Stendhal
>Céline
>Montaigne
>Flaubert
>Camus
I'm sure you've at least had one litterature teacher that jerked it off to them.

And I'm leaving out French playwrights and poets.

Well, that's pretty fucking awful.

Ever heard of The Three Musketeers? In 80 Days Around the World, or Captain Nemo? Les Miserables? The legend of King Arthur?

The samples seem small and badly constructed.

Paris mathematicians? Such as?

To bad Paris will be a no-go area soon.

Are you for real?

Yeah, due to being too expensive for anyone who isn't a billionaire.

France is quintessentially THE nation of mathematicians. Don't know why you're so surprised.

Anyways haven't really touched math since high school but,
>Poincaré
>Descartes
>Fourrier
>Fermat
Etc...

Some more research later,
>Chasles
>Laplace
>Pascal
>d'Alembert

I'm guessing most are from Paris, there weren't really any large towns in France otherwise, Marseille, Orléans, Nantes, Bordeaux aside.

That graph isn't quite right. USA is at 13 not 14, Russia at 8 not 9.

Just nabbed it off the internet, but thank you.

While other countries have many cities, France is only represented by Paris
What a shithole of a country

I guess Auxerre, Lille, Lyon and Metz are in the USA then

Yeah, but who are the writers. Also king arthur is definitely british

Dumas, Jules Verne and Victor Hugo

>king arthur is definitely british
Welsh myth, but French book. Hoping you aren't baiting.

And Dumas, Verne, Hugo, and de Troyes brainlet.

When i look it up i get 'Geoffery of monmouth'. Wikipedia says British

Don't know a lot about all this, but apparently Monmouth's was a lot more academic, while it's Troyes that brought about many of themes that are now synonymous with king of Arthur; the round table, the love between Lancelot and Guinevreux, Perceval encountering the Graal, etc...

>Arthur and his retinue appear in some of the Lais of Marie de France,[79] but it was the work of another French poet, Chrétien de Troyes, that had the greatest influence with regard to the development of Arthur's character and legend.[80] Chrétien wrote five Arthurian romances between c.1170 and 1190. Erec and Enide and Cligès are tales of courtly love with Arthur's court as their backdrop, demonstrating the shift away from the heroic world of the Welsh and Galfridian Arthur, while Yvain, the Knight of the Lion, features Yvain and Gawain in a supernatural adventure, with Arthur very much on the sidelines and weakened. However, the most significant for the development of the Arthurian legend are Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart, which introduces Lancelot and his adulterous relationship with Arthur's queen (Guinevere), extending and popularising the recurring theme of Arthur as a cuckold, and Perceval, the Story of the Grail, which introduces the Holy Grail and the Fisher King and which again sees Arthur having a much reduced role.[81]
>Chrétien was thus "instrumental both in the elaboration of the Arthurian legend and in the establishment of the ideal form for the diffusion of that legend",[82]

Wasn't it thomas malory that wrote king arthur?

>france
>music
>philosophy

Name me 10 french philosophers and musicians off the top of your head.

Descartes
I'm out

Monmouth was a historian, such as historians existed at the time. He just wrote a chronicle of British kings, who were mostly fictional but taken from existing tales and passed off as history, and thus not exactly literature.

What is called the Matter of Britain, or the Arthurian Cycle, was mostly written by Chretien de Troyes.

>philosophers
Descartes
Rousseau
Voltaire
Diderot
Montesquieu
Sartre
Foucault
Derrida
Abelard
Comte

I didn't even have to try.

And holy fuck this board is full of idiots.

What about the Mabinogion?
Also why did the French write about their sworn enemy?

Err.

>Descartes
>Spinoza
>Foucault (meme but still)
>Sartre
>Bergson
>Pascal
>Voltaire, Rousseau, Montesqieu, Diderot and all the Enlightenment extragavanza

French music a shit though, with you there, except for the rare Debussy and Bizet. And I say that being French.

>French write about their sworn enemy?
>XIIth century
>England as sworn enemy of France, and not just a pesky neighbor trying to get in on the various bullshit threatening France (Bouvines, Flanders uprisings, being a cunt in Normandy, etc...)

England was a French colony at the time.

Bullshit, French rule electronic music.

(and also medieval music)

I thought they constantly had wars

>someone from an English speaking country that traces its history back to England is mostly familiar with English language literature from school
really activates my almonds, how could this be

>you will never be this overrepresented

During the Middle Ages those were just wars between French nobles like they happened all the time. Not much difference between the king of France going to war with the count of Toulouse, or going to war with the count of Anjou and duke of Aquitaine who also happened to be the king of England.

Due to really shitty American education, how the fuck can schools completely skip French literature which is arguably the greatest in the West.

Yeah but they wrote about an England before French invasion

Cadeau for you.
>youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E

I don't really pride myself much in Daft Punk, it's mostly a gimmick.

Well not that soon. France's monarchy barely had the strength to direct itself against a foreign enemy, their authority getting eclipsed by Occitan or Eastern lords half the time. And English kings had no use fighting the French since that would mean the Capetians could revoke their rights to French lands (which eventually happened in the start of the HYW).

ITT :

But it's not like the nobles did all the fighting

>Daft Punk
Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, Kavinsky, Danger...

Who else then?

Will see what's up with those guys.

Mostly yeah, and most of the commoner population that the king of England could call upon lived in France, in his home county of Anjou, or in the duchies of Aquitaine and Normandy.

>Implying anyone knows these 'cities'

Soldiers of course

That's true, the commoners did the fighting.
The commoners from the county of anjou or the duchies of aquitaine. Did you seriously believe they shipped commoners from England into France?

metz is a german city though

Well yeah. They have a fairly large population

It really is quite horrible how the Americans in this thread are parading around their ignorance as if it were a virtue.

Literally WHO

>Not mentioning Hugo

Kys retard

High IQ

>Cutoff is 1900
Nice try Pierre

>babby's first acclaimed author
Hugo's pretty stale all things considered. Can't really put into words why, because I'm not Veeky Forums, but there's nothing very interesting to his prose.

There's a reason French kids get to grips with him at 13, and at 16 for all other authors I gave.

I thought Americans loved Camus?
>haha heh, nihilism fuck yeh, wish I'll be like that guy some day

>Hugo's pretty stale all things considered.

Try hard retard, the funny thing is that you mentioned fucking Camus and you consider him stale

You fucking serious? The best thing you can give of Hugo to a 13-year-old is the watered-down abridged version of Notre Dame de Paris which you do not seem to have read yourself let alone the real Notre Dame de Paris.

Because it's the only relevant city in France

Every institutions and good universities are in Paris, thus people from all around France are forced to go there. Most Parisians aren't Ethnic Parisians.

>France's monarchy barely had the strength to direct itself against a foreign enemy

Nope

This is quite difficult to believe in an anglophone world that London doesn't score very high in many fields.

>stops in 1900 right as America begins btfoing everyone

>*1920
FTFY

Assuming that after that it was NYC, where is the greatest city in the world now?

Funny way to spell Chicago

Edinburgh obviously
Gosh

Probably because Paris is the only relevant part of France while in superior, more federalised countries, the other parts are also relevant.

>Daft Punk is a gimmick

Yeah sorry it doesn't include Carl Sagan and Justin Bieber.

However: Rome

Which website is this? I'm curious to check the list of the personalities chosen.

Rome doesn't even register.

It's a joke to them.

Simple-minded people try to pass off their inadequacies as humour.

>camus
hnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg
his writing is pretty much a french stereotype, so colourful with dense, complex sentences that it takes a rereading of each sentence to comprehend it properly
would love to have a thread discussing his writing, but i doubt hardly anyone here would have read anything from him judging by the general knowledge levels in this thread
shitposts, but correct shitposts
t. hasnt read camus

Deleuze
Foucault
Camus
Sartre
Derrida
Althusser
Lacan
Rousseau
Proust (Writer but his thought heavily inspired thinkers like Heidegger)
Bergson

For musicians you have Francoise Hardy and a few classical peopl;e/

sorry but camus is algerian

Bingen am Rhein is in Germany though

He might of been born there but that doesn't make him ethnically Algerian.

>so colourful with dense, complex sentences that it takes a rereading of each sentence to comprehend it properly
typical of french literature, typical of the french
the kind of people who greet a housefire by discussing the merits of the various classes of fire extinguisher and expect to be remembered as humble geniuses after they've burned to death

>iq
Not science, sorry. Iq is pseudoscience.

also mallory i believe

london, but its real close between NYC and London

I FUCKING HATE LONDON
I GOT STUCK FOR 2 FUCKING HOURS JUST TRYING TO GET TO A MUSEUM A FEW HUNDRED METRES AWAY WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS CITY

Paris

London isn't that relevant anymore

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

>Claims some group from England