>post emma watson

Цeзapь [tsezar']

>pronounces ceaser as “Kesar”

Can-cer

>scissor

kaisur

>Kikero

you retard Caesar wasn't pronounce like kaiser
this kaiser thing was created by german historians and it is called latina restituta but almost nobody belive it

I took Latin in highschool. Not exactly the greatest of backgrounds for this but obviously you don’t know any. C made a K sound exclusively in Latin no matter what. ae made an i. So it would pronounce KI-SAR

>AE
>Pronounced like "I"
Unless you mean English "I", i.e. /ai/. Its still not quite right though.

>césar

>C made a K sound exclusively Latin no matter what

That's not true. There are two forms of Latin pronounciations taught today, those being the more traditional Classical Latin (sometimes called Germanic Latin) and Ecclesiastical Latin (sometimes called Italic Latin).

Germanic Latin pronounces its C's that way. Italic pronounces then as /ch/

>traditional Classical Latin (sometimes called Germanic Latin) and Ecclesiastical Latin (sometimes called Italic Latin)
lol what

no one calls it that

>not calling it Kai-sar
Makes me wish for a nuclear winter

>he ordered the kai-sar salad

>pronouncing Caesar the same way Caesar did
How is that not literally patrician?

>Wenee weedee weeki

Seriously though where did the pronunciation "see-zur" come from?

mama mia its-a pronounced-a lika chay-sar-ee

Caesar salad was invented in Tijuana. It's really a say-sar salad

retarded angoloids

> Germanic Latin
No, it's not "sometimes called" that, ever.

i saw see-zer because I'm American and how it's pronounced by all people here. I'm not a pretentious douche that derives an elevated self worth from knowing the pronunciation of words not in my language

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/146zb6/original_pronunciation_of_ceasar/

ctrl+f "thatfool". Thorough answer.

scissor

>pronounces ΦΙΛΟΣΟΦΙΑ with F's instead of PH's
gross

I always pronunced it "kaysar" in my head when reading Asterix as a kid.

>having to link Reddit
the absolute state of this board

>saw-krah-tess

coll-mus-lon.org.uk/pronunciation/german.pdf

I really wish Veeky Forums would stop acting like they are in any way an expert of the shit they spew.

THE GREAT KAISAR

>not soe-crates

>Play-tow

>not see-sir

the classical latin = romans
church latin = medieval

Caesar used classical

"kay-sir"

Firstly, it's not exactly Church Latin. It was Latin spoken in the latter years of the (non-Byzantine) Empire. It is the pronounciation used by the Church but Church Latin implies it was never spoken that way by any Romans which is false.

Secondly, no one is arguing Caesar didn't use Classical Latin, however, Latin seems to bring out this autism on this board about pronunciation. For reasons I can only assume stem from insecurity, people insist that only for Latin is it correct to use the pronunciation of classical for people during the time in they lived. You don't see people sperg about pronouncing Alfred's name correctly in Old English. It's silly. It's all Latin and the focus should just be on keeping your pronunciation consistent.

Thirdly, these names are clearly anglicized. So it's just autistic altogether unless you're talking about specifically how they would've pronounced it in 1st century BC Rome.

That makes me wonder if it's considered douchey in non-American countries to pronounce individual foreign words exactingly. Like caesar or manga. In conversational context at least.

you're meant to pronounce it like "Kay-Esore"

even if they are right you can use them as a source here

No one knows how latin was pronounced in Rome.

Isn’t that how it’s pronounced?

If you are from an English speaking country and aren't autistic yeah

There are clues like rhymes and similar words in different language. I think pronouncing c as k is one of those things that is certain in most cases.

But that's wrong. We have Latin grammar and pronunciation texts from Rome itself which give a lot of context, and modern linguists can trace the development of different pronunciation deviations back very cleanly from the modern varieties of Latin.

Hell, we have a decent sample of surviving Etruscan as well which also informs early Latin, though we don't have a complete grammar or syntax for Etruscan as very little has survived.

We know C was pronounced as K because we have multiple writers weighing in on the rift between people writing with only C, only K, or both C and K. They were interchangeable, though many Romans considered using K to be a barbaric or at least uncultured variation in writing.

We have similar records of writers producing guides on pronunciation and sperging about the foreshortening of many vowel sounds (i.e. "e" as in veni becoming "i", causing it to sound like " wihnih" instead of "wéhnih" ). There are entire lists of these, and they read like the posters you'd see on the wall of commonly misspelled words in elementary/grammar schools$

Americans can't pronounce Homer too.

(((linguistic descriptivism)))

>not pronouncing "caesar" as "rome man" in 2018
dude it was called the roman empire for a reason

this true for things like Cicero too?

> Latin Transliteration
That doesn't make it "Germanic Latin".

Most romance languages traded a hard C (it's not really a K) for a soft C due to them being basically bastardized, quite literally plebian versions of latin. This leads to Caesar with a soft C, which is where you get César/Cesare. Except that has a very open "e" sound, kinda like the "e" in "meh". This is the bastard version of the ae. Meanwhile, slavs cut out that sound entirely (tzar/czar). Anyhow, the end result was that Caesar's original pronunciation, closer to Kaiser, became close to César, which in turn became closer to "seezur" through the powers of anglo transliteration of french words.

>Not saying Kai-zar

>kaisar

There are 2 different pronunciations
It's either Kaesar, or Cesar
Read as written, not with retarded English reading rules, so either with a hard c or a soft c, don't use an an s, don't use an i, they're wrong

>Not pronouncing it "Tsar"
>Not pronouncing it "Kaiser"
Latinnigger get out.

It's either /kaizar/ (correct) or /tsezar/ (still acceptable)

>speaking out loud the names of dead white men

You reminded me of something. From what I've heard, Latin's actually supposed to be read out loud. Like, always. Like, even if you're alone reading by yourself. How true is that?

Cäsar

>cheeser

>romans
>white
Pick one.

>supposed to
Literally what does this even mean? In whose opinion?

It's literally going over german pronunciations in contrast to italian/ecclesiatic pronunciations. I'm not claiming that this language formed in any germanic region nor defending its name since it's misleading historically, but that's colloquially a common name for it.

Close. It would have been /kaisar/.

>a whole day went by and this post didn't get a single reply
underrated and berated

Cicero
>ppl pronounce it -Sisero-
just kill me

>pronounces Everest as "Ever-Rest

weenie :DDDD

i might to wrong but in modern Italian, "cc" is pronounced like a hard "k", right? and "c" is a "ch" noise, i think

so wouldn't it be pronounced "chae-sar" or something?

In contemporary Italian, c before i or e=ch
But Italian=/=latin

Foe ecclesiastic latin it, in essence, is.

Excellent dude!

I came, I saw, I kek'd

>Carlooooos.
Now get the fuck out.

Germany we wuzing
>we wuz charlemagne
and now we have
>we wuz roman and shieeet, Ceasar was called Kaiser. to proof that we created special language called latina restituta

btw ceasar was called Juliusz Cezarski in łacina retutułowana( Romans pronounce they language like slavs)

Depends.
It's see-zar in traditional latin, but kai-sar in classical latin.