ITT: cultural autism in the antiquity

>Romans only had 12 given names for sons and just enumerated their daughters

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carthaginians
patreon.com/Pyorgara
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Carthiginians seemed to have even less.

We in the modern West have like what, ,20 names shared by 80% of the population?

>Hannibal
>Hasdrubal
>Hanno
>Gisco
>Hamilcar
>Mago
Am I forgetting anything?

No that's pretty much all of them.

We have lost quite a lot of information about Carthage. It was burned to the ground.

We in the west hove different Top 20 names for each country and at least here in Germany the Top 10 of names given to newborns account for 25% of that group.

And out of spite the Romans changed all Carthagian names in their records to Hannibal?

>here in Germany the Top 10 of names given to newborns

Muhamad
Memeth
Achmed
Jamal
Stanislaw
Pawel
Jan
Krzysztof
Kamil

epic cuck m8 xD

That doesn't explain why there are like 5 or 6 different Hasdrubal named during the punic wars.

Himlico

Yeah I just look it up and there is a handful of less popular names en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carthaginians

muh cognomen

no it wasn't. It was sacked and then rebuilt and operated as a powerful (albeit less powerful) trade hub for Rome.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carthaginians
this is just stupid

There was a fixed financial penalty for slapping someone the face in ancient Rome and there was some richfag whose hobby was walking around the city slapping poorfags. His slave was following him and handing the money to the 'victims' until his master got bored.

fucking kek, what an actual madman

90% of Koreans either have the last name Kim or Lee

I think more autistic is how we now let people name their child whatever they want. My country used to have a legal list of names up until like 20 years ago and desu it was a lot better that way.

Vietnamese are apparently just as crazy with Nguyen. 40% of Vietnamese have it as their surname.

That's actually hilarious, source please!

What shithole do you live in that allows people to name their kids whatever they want?

No they don’t you dunce. Even if they have same surnames, they still have clan separation.

The greeks were really autistic about getting promising results from their ritual sacrifices.
Herodotus mentions that either the athenians or the spartans (I forgot which) during one of the less famous but central battles during the graeco-persian wars refused to charge the persian line before their not!haruspexes gave the thumbs up. Thus the greek line refused to move an inch for hours while animal after animal was put to the knife untill finally one liver suggested victory.

Didn't the Germans have this same kind of problem when they faced the Romans? I specifically remember that Caesar routed a numerically superior Germanic force when he was in Gaul "protecting" the Gallic tribes. He was able to take them by surprise because the Oracle's or whatever weren't getting good portents for battle.

They won didn't they?

France, they even removed Breton characters

The Attic Nights of Aulus Gellius

>And therefore your friend Labeo also, in the work which he wrote On the Twelve Tables, expressing his disapproval of that law, says, ‘One Lucius Veratius was an exceedingly wicked man and of cruel brutality (L. Veratius fuit egregie homo inprobus atque inmani vecordia). He used to amuse himself by striking free men in the face with his open hand (Is pro delectamento habebat os hominis liberi manus suae palma verberare). A slave followed him with a purse full of asses; as often as he had buffeted [depalmaverat; “struck with the open hand”] anyone, he ordered twenty-five asses to be counted out at once, according to the provision of the Twelve Tables. ‘Therefore,’ he continued, ‘the praetors afterwards decided that the law was obsolete and invalid and declared that they would appoint arbiters to assess damages’.

asses were copper coins

that was when he fought Ariovistus I think. The German soothsayers decided the omens weren't right for battle, so they holed up in their camp and refused to offer a fight, so Caesar attacked their camp instead

>It's real
What the fuck

Many families changed their name to it for political reasons, as dynasties fell and changed.

Family names are also less commonly used in Vietnamese. Like in English you'd call user Anonson 'Mr. Anonson,' whereas you'd use the first name in Vietnamese, so Mr. Â-nõn.

Also, this is just my impression, but there seems to be much more diversity in names in northern Vietnam, which was the historical homeland, rather than southern Vietnam, which was only conquered a few hundred years ago.

They did, but it's still high tier pragmatic shenanigans.

Cheers mate!

but I thought salt was a preservative.

Most are 2-word lastnames, but people aren't aware of that since its the norm that lastnames only consist of 1 word in the rest of the world
. Something like Nguyen Nhac, Nguyen Van, Nguyen Lu etc. They are different families that originate from different regions.

Women do not deserve proper names

my grandpa was like that, he was "boy four" out of six

his parents were born in what is now northern greece

Bullshit. Women always had praenomina, they just weren't used unless they had many sisters. That's why numerical names were common for them, but they weren't just named for numbers. And there sure weren't just a dozen praenomina for males either you dumbass faggot.
These are all praenomina used through the republican and imperial period, and are just some of the most common, not all those that have been found on gravestones.
Agrippa (Agr.)
Appius (Ap.)
Aulus (A.)
Caeso (K.)
Decimus (D.)
Faustus (F.)
Gaius (C.)
Gnaeus (Cn.)
Hostus
Lucius (L.)
Mamercus (Mam.)
Manius (M'.)
Marcus (M.)
Mettius
Nonus
Numerius (N.)
Octavius (Oct.)
Opiter (Opet.)
Paullus
Postumus (Post.)
Proculus (Pro.)
Publius (P.)
Quintus (Q.)
Septimus
Sertor (Sert.)
Servius (Ser.)
Sextus (Sex.)
Spurius (S.)
Statius (St.)
Tiberius (Ti.)
Titus (T.)
Tullus
Vibius (V.)
Volesus (Vol.)
Vopiscus (Vop.)

Imo a cognomen is superior anyway, a name is assigned at birth and has no relation to how you are as a person.

>Postumus
Is there a more bad-ass name in any culture?

It just means "born after father's death". What's so badass about it?

It's chuuni as fuck.

Interestingly enough, the Celts also had this kind of nonsense. The Druids could and apparently regularly did "forbid" two sides from fighting on the basis of bad omens, and the Celts in general where incredibly superstitious.

Kek

Everyone had this kind of bullshit, but in most cases it wasn't so much a religious matter as it was an exploitation of religious reasons to essentially veto a leader's orders without being outright mutinous.
"The omens aren't right" was pretty much the roman senate's go excuse for vetoing something without actually using their veto powers, because that would have had far greater political consequences.

In the late Republic the office of Pope became political but in earlier times it was closer to the Greek and Celtic model.And I don't know that this IS universal, the Chinks certainly didn't go in for it, Mespotamians regularly sacked one another's temples, the Egyptians were pious enough but of course their king was already the final arbiter of theological matters so its moot.

>I think more autistic is how we now let people name their child whatever they want
Be against it if you want but only being able to choose from a government approved list is as autistic as it gets.
I prefer my country's method which allows you to name your child whatever as long as it isn't ridiculous or deemed to negatively impact on the child growing up.

>We have lost quite a lot of information about Carthage. It was burned to the ground.
It was, but the entirety of the Carthaginian people didn't reside in the city. The continued to live in Africa until they got assimilated by Arabs after the muslim conquest. It's a pity that nothing remains of Carthaginian literature, St. Augustine mentions that it was incredibly rich.

>nonsense
>bullshit
fedoras go fuck yourselves, thx.

You mean his parents were born in Northern Greece.

>it's not nonsense to sacrifice a goat to Hecate before going to war
>it isn't bullshit that the lives of men were held in the balance by magic men larping as god's representatives

source on the image?
have a dog in return
something something history

Soldier's Life
although it has fuck all to do with the OP question

>it was only sacked
Lmao

can't find it, link?
here's another dog
something something

rot

patreon.com/Pyorgara

thanks
here's another dog
fun history fact: oxygen was invented in 1776 and before that, people couldn't breathe

REALLY not liking whatever screwgle did to sod with its reverse image search function.

Cease your autism, Varro lists ~30 Names for patrician families around 30 BC, and describes 14 of them as being not used anymore (E.g., Agrippa and Opiter) and other are enumerations like Septimus. Who cares about some rural peasant or freed slave.

Yeah, who cares about the likes of Marius, Cicero, Pompey, Augustus, Agrippa, etc.
Fuck those irrelevant plebs.

Like MARCUS Tullius Cicero? or MARCUS Vipsanius Agrippa?

jobbers relegated to the footnotes of history

Exactly. Are you telling me that that rural peasant and that son of a freedman were irrelevant and oughta be ignored? Because that's what I get from you telling me we should just consider the praenomina usec by what insignificant amount of patricians were left by the end of the republic.

Are we going to get more images like OPs, or what?

Gaius Marius, Gnaeus Pompeius, Gaius Octavius (later Augustus)

All plebs and not covered by patrician naming conventions.

>shitting on Vladislaus
Yeah even though Pompey did fuck all on campaign

>Scriptio continua
>Latin for "continuous script"
>A style of writing without spaces, or other marks between the words or sentences.
>The form also lacks punctuation, diacriticals, or distinguished letter case.
>In the West, the oldest Greek and Latin inscriptions used word dividers to separate words in sentences; however, Classical Greek and late Classical Latin both employed scriptio continua as the norm.

AUTISIMUS.MAXIMUS.

He said "allows"

Argentina has basically removed all restrictions AFAIK, there was a lot of controversy over a child who was named Satan or Lucifer or something like that. Tho sometimes the employees at the register will refuse to sign the paper out of human decency.

You missed Boseph Bostar

>Japanese and Chinese are like this to this day

Hey um OP can you please tell who's the artist...thanks

It's especially horrific in Japanese, as it makes parsing out given sentence take more work than it should.

The sauce was already given earlier in the thread, you worthless shitstain saucefag.

Dude I'm on 3 weeks nofap don't post this shit on a blue board.

>nofap
Pseud detected.

I don’t think you belong here

Just use Tineye.

>Marius
>Pompey
>Augustus
>plebs
user, every single one of those men were patricians

the Romans never salted the earth at Carthage and never prevented the reconstruction of the city

It's really not that difficult to read as long as your Latin is good.

t. took two courses on Paleography

because why would they? why waste so much salt?

I wouldn't be mad if he slapped me, free money is free money

If they did it, it's not bullshit. Those people were more intelligent than you

Augustus was born a pleb, he was only adopted by the patrician Caesar.

I think a bunch of countries have that "Set guards around the potatoes so the citizens will stop being suspicious of them and steal them" story.

Are you fucking kidding me? None of them were even nobiles, nevermind patricians.

When everyone is Nguyen, no one is.

What?

basically
>local ruler of country gets shipments of potatoes
>tries to give it to people to eat/farm for free
>people are suspicious and don't take any
>governor decides to tell policemen/soldiers to "guard" them
>people think they must be valuable
>proceed to steal them
Might be just a Mediterranean thing.

Lolwut

Germans never faced Romans. Wrong time period.

>American education
Caesar fought Germans in Gaul multiple times, and invaded Germania afterwards to punish the tribes that made up the invasions

>legal list
that's peak autism user

>the oldest Greek and Latin inscriptions used word dividers to separate words in sentences
I never knew this. I always just assumed that ancient texts lacked spaces because it hadn't occurred to anyone to include them. Why would they go from usually spaces to scriptio continua?

I think that happened in France or somewhere there.

>Louis XVI

He's just an autistic faggot who is pointing out the difference between germans and germanic peoples.