Name 5 (five) wars between truly democratic states?

Name 5 (five) wars between truly democratic states?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderbund_War
freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/russia
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>truly
Hmmmmmm I sure it won't devolve into a debate on what is true democraty

True democracy is never been tried user

Well it's debatable I guess but not shit like Soviet Union or North Korea or some extremely corrupt banana republic. Or something like modern Russia.

Name 2(two) truly democratic states.

I know one that can, somewhat, be called democratic. That is, Switzerland. Considering no other like it exists, wars between democratic states cannot, indeed, exist.

If you simply name a Liberal Representative republic democracy - almost all wars lately were fought between them.

only direct democracies are democracies

Catalonia

At risk of starting the
>[Insert nation name here]
>true democracy
argument, I'm gonna try to come up with a couple, though I guess I'm more using wars between republics rather than full democracies. Doubt I'll hit five, but whatever
Mexican-American War
War of the Pacific
American civil war
Can't think of anything else rn

This. Real democracy has never been tried before

How is modern Russia not a democracy?

Amerimutts can't comprehend a country can unite behind a single leader democratically.

>The only one true democracy is Switzerland not ancient Athens
Ggwp nr

Finno-Anglo war?

Mass corruption and Putin avoiding term limits through puppet presidents.

>Finno-Anglo War
TIL that was a thing
I guess it depends on how democratic you'd say napoleonic-era Britain was, because if so then we can also include the napoleonic wars themselves. Possibly the Anglo-Dutch wars if you're really confident in Britain's democratic tendencies.

He doesn't mean that. Finland didn't exist.

He means when Finland was part of the axis.

Sonderbund War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderbund_War

>Catalonia

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Mexico was far from a democracy in 1840s

name a single truly democratic state

>it's not a democracy because the voters can't elect putin as much as they want to

1. Chaco War betwixt Bolivia and Paraguay
2. Spanish-American war
3. War of 1812 between US & UK
4. Triple alliance war (both sides had democracies within it, although Brazil was still monarchical)
5. War over Kashmir betwixt India and Pakistan.

EZ

responding to my own post.

This answer is assuming that you meant bougie democracies.

Go sip on some polonium Vadim.

Stay mad.

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Disappointed in what? You have no argument as for why Russia is not a democracy.

Well, with the Polonium comment I was alluding to the assassination of political dissidents by the security services, which is a manifestly undemocratic act.

There is also widespread use of arbitrary detention, and torture, which would lead a reasonable person to conclude that the rights of the average person are not being respected.

Russian elections are generally corrupt; in the 2018 election the only opposition candidate was banned from running.

freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/russia

So yeah, Russia is generally considered to not be a democracy.

If you meant Litvinenko that guy was a traitor who was sneaking out state secrets to a hostile government. I'm struggling to understand how this makes Russia not a democracy.

Every war ever

The only democratic country on Earth is the Swiss one.

Carthage and Rome were both Republics during the time period that they fought against each other.

No. He means Navalny. Literally banned from running because he opposed Putin.

Dumbass Americans don't know most of us support Putin and have real democracy elections unlike their pay to win system

What does Navalny have to do with polonium?

99% of the population had no say in any of the things that went on.

>using TIL
What are you reddit

>Spanish-American War
But Spain was a monarchy.
>US&UK
Okay, but stretching it. In UK like 10% of population had voting rights at the time, probably even less, can't recall.
>5. War over Kashmir betwixt India and Pakistan.
Wasn't Pakistan military dictatorship?

>plebs are people
Cato sit the fuck down

No one wanted him in anyway

That still isn't a democracy.

And then why was he the main opposition?

World War I
War of 1812
Athenian Invasion of Sicily During the Peloponnesian War
French Revolutionary Wars
Boer Wars

there is no opposition. 80% of russians support putin

>There is also widespread use of arbitrary detention, and torture, which would lead a reasonable person to conclude that the rights
this is liberalism not democracy

Will we disqualify the US from being a democracy because they banned the Communist party, and used the security services to suppress the Black Panthers?

Sure, these actions are undemocratic, but it doesn't detract from the system as a whole. Just like in Russia.

>War of the Pacific
What?

Not the Pacific War, brainlet. The one in Chile.

All three recent Israeli incursions into Gaza.
Anglo-Irish War
Kargil War

>Freedom House is a U.S.-based nonpartisan 501(c)(3) U.S. Government funded non-governmental organisation

Define (DEFINE) true democractic system.

>there is no opposition. 80% of russians support putin

Then why rig the elections?

what is rigged?
how is it rigged?
who is winning because of rigging?

that link you or someone else posted was talking about more local elections not putin

Cod War

>But Spain was a monarchy.
It was a constitutional monarchy. You specified for a democracy, not necessarily a republic (according to this logic the UK is not currently a democracy, even though the monarch in both cases does not oppose the elected bodies nor flexes its power). If you don't like that one, I can offer the Sonderbund civil war in Switzerland. It doesn't get any more clear cut than that: Liberal Democrat party vs Conservative party.
>Okay, but stretching it. In UK like 10% of population had voting rights at the time, probably even less, can't recall.
By this metric no war that the US fought before the Civil Rights Movement involved democracy democracies.
>Wasn't Pakistan military dictatorship?
I think your thinking of Ayub Khan, but he deposed the PM ten years after the indo-pakistani war of 1948

More examples could include the french siege of the short-lived roman republic while Pius had fucked off or the Ecuadorian-Peruvian conflict of the 19th Century, but that depends if you want to call Castilla a democratically elected leader: He overthrew the government alongside his ally (who became prez) and was appointed minister of war. When his ally died, he made a succesful bid for the presidency through elections in 1845.

ivan posting this shit is not worth what they pay you

Fuck came to post this

Athens vs Corinth
Athens vs Elis
Athens vs Argos
Republican Rome vs Insubre Gaul when it was led by a council
Republican Rome vs Athens
>inb4 those aren't democracies
All of those wars took place between states which had men who were democratically elected
>but republican patricianism isn't democratic
Yes it is, plebs aren't citizens lmao.

The Brits was on the Soviet side during the continuation war

Navalny's a faggot. Zyuganov all the way!

>and have real democracy elections unlike their pay to win system
that's why you keep electing the richest man in the country and opposition leaders keep getting assassinated?

Retard

>Implying a puppet that answers to Makarov's ultra nationalists is a democracy

lmao

>r*skies think if they all worship their tyrant that makes it democracy

>Call of Duty reference
Price was based and really should be /ourguy/

Wars have been fought between popular leaders which is basically informally democratic.

Seconded. Price is /ourguy/

Really almost every war Rome was in with the Etruscuns or Latins or Greek city states was a war between republics. Also dat Delian Leauge formation/maintenance.

But since most dumb faggets won't accept this as "true modern democracy" almost all failures of democracy turn to civil war or populist tyrannies, that's just how they fail. Like Republican Spain or Russia in October 1917. Or more recently the plethora of failed democratic states in the Middle East or Russia again in 2000. Democracy naturally fails when it becomes so fucking dysfunctional that tyranny is democratically preferable. And in all large countries with a centralized federal government this is inevitable. Either Ceaserization or Balkanization is enevitable in an expanded democracy, look at the situation is Spain, or Italy today or the Scottish question, or for the opposite effect look at the 14 year reign of Merkel that's a lot more democratic than the reign of Putin for sure.

Look at the failure of Turkey recently and the Ascension of Erdogan. Look at how India relies on a single family to guide most of the country politically.

Democracies don't fail to wars, they fail when they lose their mandate to exist, and when the public tired of the oligarchy which is inevitable to modern democracy.

This quote tho..
>The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale.
That's some dark and scarily accurate shit man.. Price is fucking based.

Great debate

lmao people think modern, western countries are democracies. The people of Classical antiquity would be rolling in their graves; today we clearly live in moderate oligarchies. The absolute state of Veeky Forums

also Cenepa War

>meme has less credibility than 300

irony

Post a non-retardedly small version next time thank you.

babbie's first class on democratic peace theory?

Also, Russo-Georgian War for a recent example.

>Russia
>Democracy

back to vk dumb vatnik

Why aren't you shilling on 2ch, fucktard?

>10% of population had voting rights
As it should be. The male property owners are the demos. Women/children/the elderly/the poor are support personnel

Is this a reverse troll picture? It's double layered, making both the comic and the author look like retards.

There have been plenty of direct democracies.

the French Revolutionary Wars

*teleports behind you*
*shoots you 4 times*

ничeгo личнyгo бopя

>truly democratic state
No such thing.

The Anglo-Dutch wars?

>What is the Finno-Korean hyper war
Dumbass

>Six day war between Czechoslovakia and Poland
>WW1 Italy vs. France
>Irish War of Independence
>Greco-Turkish war over Cyprus
>Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

>Turkey
>Azerbaijan
>deomcracy
lol wut?

>3. War of 1812 between US & UK

The UK was a backward monarchy that had been fighting Napoleon for years because he was too democratic for them

>French Revolutionary Wars

France's chaotoc Republic vs Feudal Monarchies
Only one side was "democratic"

>All democracies have to be western-style liberal democracies

>>WW1 Italy vs. France
Wat.

see Constitutional monarchies are democracies bruv. But if you don't like the example see the others I provided

The elections are not rigged.

Azerbaijan is debatable but Turkey is absolutely a democracy, and I'm saying that as somebody who hates Turks.

Paraguay wasn't a democracy under Solano Lopez retard. It was a closed-off, isolationist, militaristic dictatorship.

>Fujimori
>Democracy
Fucking retard (x2)

>legally sworn in by congress upon his fathers' death

I agree m80, but the bullshit bougie republic appointed him. And it seems this thread is accepting democracy and republic as equal terms.

Also
>Sonderbund War
>Peru/Ecuador border dispute of 19th century

Replace Guerra de Triple Alianza with either of those two if you still don't like it.