Go to Museum to have a fun day out

>Go to Museum to have a fun day out.
>accompanying information is overtly simplistic
>lots of focus on "feeling history" and imagining yourself in the shoes of others
>weird white guilt shit
>interactive touch screens everywhere

which CUNTS ruined museums

(fuck off /pol/)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FjAxivgRSmM
theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/15/history-teaching-curriculum-gove-right
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>interactive touch screens everywhere
I was with you until that last one. You sound like a jaded old fart.

The rijksmuseum in pic related ain't like that at all

Why do you ant to interact with everything? Art is made to be beauty to be contemplated. You don't "interact" with it.

what's the point of them though? If they allowed you to access information suited to your respective language/age range/level of intelligence that would be fine. But they usually contain pure trash and appeal in their own sake. Besides in this day and age if you want to transmit more information it would be less cumberson and more cost efficient to let you scan a bar code with your phone.

I think its for kids but they don't really belong in museums unless it's part of a guided tour tailored to them or if the child is exceptionally intelligent.

>(fuck off /pol/)
The fact that you put that in your post means that you already know exactly who's to blame.

conservatives for attacking arts and its fans and patrons as frivolous and abandoning it to the masses.

>National museum of Scotland
>completely butchered exhibits
>animal taxidermy next to T-rex because they both have ears.

I would not blame conservatives for the downfall of art.

They give you more information in an easily accessible format. Calm down.

Touchscreens are cool. I have thought this ever since when I was 3 and first touched those really old style CRT touchscreens where you had to really pound the glass. Now that you have these nice touchscreens with cool programs it's just amazing

just use an ipad then ffs.

whats the point if they just give you the same information or in some cases less information than a well informed label on the item?

This
People who think that life is all about money rather than art and history disgust me

I took a young relative to a museum a few weeks ago, and there was a beautiful jewel from Anglo-Saxon England. My relative walked past it and headed straight to the interactive screen, then said, "user look at this! It's so cool"
I said, "yeah, it's over there, you just walked past it"
"Oh, OK", says the relative, before turning back to the touch screen to fiddle with buttons and do something they could do at home.

allows brainlets to entertain themselves by pressing buttons

l

School trips.

utter shite, they should literally only be for members of a history group at school so the places don't get shitted up with plebs.

If you go to a museum to gain in-depth knowledge of historical events then you're in the wrong place, perhaps the library is better suited to you.
The information is simple as people don't have alot of time to just stand around soaking up dates and the such. Also you're kind of meant to feel the history there, that's the whole point of the exhibits.
To understand what it was like back then

You want the masses to be even more uncultured than they are now?

Even as a history major, I just don't understand the appeal of museums. Art museums, natural historical ones, technical- sure, but historical ones? Endless cases of guns, uniforms and royal standards. While they are interesting for a very niche point of view, the idea of traveling somewhere due to robust museums is bizarre.

no that's a historical re-enactment you fucking pleb.

They literally don't know what they're looking at an simply pollute an otherwise decent space with their presence and speech.

what "weird white guilt shit" did you note at your museum excursion?

because for art its important to actually see the pieces the way they were meant to be seen, for natural history physically seeing examples of bones, taxidermy, etc is an important part of learning, with history it allows you to see the actual artifacts to get a better perspective of what life may have been like for the people involved in historical events

Sure, seeing another Garand or Brownbess doesn't really excite me but if the museum has things that are rare/unique I would make an effort to go and see it. Also things like tanks/aircraft are far more interesting to see in person than just photos.

I can't say I've ever traveled somewhere specifically for museums but lots of interesting places also have interesting history museums.

hgmnbm

I went to the Duxford museum, has a lot of lovely planes and tanks, although they could work on the U.S naval plane presentation, some of the more iconic planes are in the back for no reason.

Prestige, of both having the collection (for the State) and having the means to see it.

>>weird white guilt shit
I think this is less "white guilt shit" as it is them not trying to cast everything Europeans did in a positive light regardless of if it was positive or not. If you're a true scholar of history, you know that everything is in shades of gray, and that applies to your favorites as well.

it's free lol

Ireland didn't do nothing

Women and their intense emotional intelligence.

>fuck off /pol/
ok

>frivilous

You haven't seen the prestige that going to certain museums provides, haven't you? Not any thirdwolder can visit the British Museum, and doing so is a source of great prestige, both social and economic, going to museums with certain collections matters more, and in the third world it's even more evident, when the State doesn't have the means or the interest in making a lot of museums, those few museums there are become incredibly relevant in the social and political panorama.

Dunno man, I was just in a museum yesterday and they had a whole house brought over from China, furnished as it was when it was last occupied. There's no way I could experience something like that reading about it on the internet. For more in depth information, museums aren't very valuable. But that was a very cool experience.

youtube.com/watch?v=FjAxivgRSmM

Then there's nothing for them to "White guilt" you about. Ireland's history for 300 years past was to be under the British boot. Unless you consider yourself a European first instead of being Irish, but in which case you have to accept that what Europe did wasn't all sunshine and roses. Shades of gray, user.

Sources

Wow user this is a convincing arguments let’s just force kids into stuff today rather than let them choose
Also why did you take your nephew alone are you gay

Modern art and mass media ruined art and by extension, museums had to be next

>I took a young relative
I neither said it was a nephew nor that we were alone

>are you gay
Every other weekend, for a few hours, yes

You know what, you have an interesting point. I happened to be in an exhibit of dutch and flemish masters at the same time a curator and a group children entered. They walked right up to a painting of a black woman, right past Rembrandt and the like, and she began asking them about the painting and how this woman's life was back in that time.

>lots of focus on "feeling history" and imagining yourself in the shoes of others
That's the funny part of History, understanding the context to kind of imagine what X person in Y epoch lived and thought about the world around it.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/15/history-teaching-curriculum-gove-right

the English people must be destroyed :)

>conservatives are the ones selling out traditional culture for quick bucks

last time i went to a museum they had this giant map of turkey and they placed fucking diyarbakir NORTH of lake van. like seriously how incompetent can you be, it's a giant ass map that takes up the whole wall

>walked right up to a painting of a black woman (...) and she began asking them
the lady in the painting?

the guide the children had with them, who else

well i dont know why dont you type better

maybe you don't read gud

>Forsvarsmuseet Oslo
>First floor constantly switching themes, mostly between Afghanistan and WW2
>second floor houses some repro viking weapons and helmets
>a model of Akershus fort is in a glass caseing covered by a thick layer of dust
>move inn to the 1500-1814 exorbition
>mostly decorative swords and halberds, sleds and a ski troop uniform worn by creepy styrofoam soldier inside a glass caseing covered by a carpet of dust
>can hardly make out the inscriptions cause they are so sun damaged
>entire floor smells of farts
>19th century exotbition
>great deal of firearms on display as well as a few uniforms dateing back to 1825 and 1840
>can't read the wall incriptions cause of the akward photoshop images behind the white text, doesn't help that the room is painted black and has shitty lighting
>20th century and WW2 portion
>wall with a scale model depicting the sinking of Blücher
>somehow the color of the water is matching the green/gray walls of the museum thanks to all the dust
>more creepy model soldiers with rotting styrofoam faces
>WW2 room
>an actually clean and detailed scale model depicting a convoy during a storm
>some naval guns and bombs laying around
>move down to the cold war floor where there is a M113A2 with it's rear end open
>theres a model of the typical 50s home before and after a nuclear strike
>a space race corner right next to it
>one lone M16 hanging on one of an empty wall with the description "the m16 saw frequent use in the Vietnam war"
>on the other side a sizable glass room full of misc. 20th century firearms with bright lights illuminating the goods and a glass floor filled with sand and diffrent types of land mines on display.
>move to a large empty hall with fold up tables to one side and a few small photos from Afghanistan on the other, hanged up by teacher gum
>exit the same place where I entered just to catch a shield wall rehersal by the local viking reenactment club next to the chaffee tank

One lonely m16 hanging behind a plastic shield on a otherwise barren wall*

It's just Marxist propaganda put out there to weaken white identity. Stop complaining about it, bigot, the browns deserve your wealth and your land -- and you do not :)

Thats in MA right? Think i've been there.

>I can't say I've ever traveled somewhere specifically for museums
no but if there are good museums there I make a point to go to them. When I was last in LA I went to the Getty museum, its really a spectacular collection, I highly recommend visiting it when you're there.

>Modern art and mass media ruined art
Robert Rauschenberg putting his bedspread up on a wall and calling it art didn't make all paintings everywhere explode

A lot of third world countries actually invest a lot in museums because attracting first world people is the only real means of income they have. Egypt is the poster boy of this.

Egypt is kind of a unique case, don't you think? They're definitely in a class of their own when it comes to antiquities since the ancient Egyptians were such prolific monument builders, and the environment is well suited to preservation.

Mexico has a lot of historical tourist attractions too, as does Peru. My little irrelevant backwater city also has a ton of museums even tho you will literally never see a local in them despite the fact we get hefty discounts, it's all foreigners.

where's that?

>new museum opens in town
>decide to visit
>museum itself is pretty
>but you have to enter with a group
>literally no reason for this, there is no guide, but you have to stick with your group and rooms are closed after the people leave
>have to sit waiting for like 30 minutes to wait for group to arrive
>finally get inside
>there are some shitty live action telenovela-tier videos shown about the life of the guy the museum is about
>everybody is just watching those and then just casually glancing at things and moving on without an ounce of a shit given to the objects
>mfw I couldn't enjoy the visit or take a good look at anything because I was forced to keep up the pace with the other fucking normies

>conservatives for attacking arts
Conservatives love art, user.
Just not bad art.
>"there is no bad art"
Those are the people you need to be mad at.

i'm mad

...Yes?

What pisses me off about muesums is 99.999% of the shit they have is in the public domain, and the internet exists, and most of these places have high resolution 3d scans and photos of all their shit that was made to study the stuff on display, yet almost none of these places actually offer those scans for you to download online.

And the places that DO have them online don't allow you to download them. Fuck off with that shit.

Well the museum of natural history in NYC seems to be unchanged when I last went. Still filled with all those animals TR shot.

>Ireland didn't do anything, ever
ftfy

Yes, conservatives in the american sense of the word will sell overly commodified and hollow art for quick cash
You're confused because you're an autist who lacks discernment. Yes, leftists are also making art a mockery, but at least they approach it with an artist's mindset instead of "lmao how much money will this money make us?"

I live in a city called Salta.

Conservatives, by definition, conserve traditional values.
If you're going to include in-name-only type people you might as well name anyone. The conversation is useless. If you want to talk ideology, talk ideology. If you want to talk people, name some.

I don't like the white guilt revisionism but the 'feeling' history thing is something that I think need to be fleshed out more. If you can help people tie thenselves to history, then it stops becoming stories and starts to become memories, and so little people see that angle and just how much it opens the world up to them.

and those really awesome paintings in the atrium about the life of TR

Roosevelt's father founded the museum, so anything related to him is staying pretty much forever.

>weird white guilt shit
>Be Polish living in UK
>somebody tries to pull white guilt on me
>just laugh
Bitch you have no power here.
Also I love telling leftists are they claiming Eastern Europeans aren't discriminated or that they aren't white.
They can't process that and just flee.

>>interactive touch screens everywhere

I've never been to a museum that can afford that. My experience with museums as of last summer:

>$50 parking
>$25 entrance fee
>$20 program
>$10 audio tour rental
>handful of pictures, no actual items because that would require an expensive display case
>descriptions all under 100 words, more of a caption than a description
>only other patrons are private schoolchildren or tourists

All in all most museums suck. The only ones that don't are the ones in DC, but even then the Air and Space Museum is the one with all the cool shit. Going to old battlefields and missions is okay too I guess, but they're usually in really shitty areas. For example the mission my great great great grandparents were born in is now a homeless shelter, bordered by a prison on one side and a liquor store on the other. And yet they still charged me $40 to see inside the history room they had, which was mostly broken shovels and torn up shoes.

>Air and Space Museum
Wright-Patterson in Dayton is way better.

It sure is. A shame Ohio is such a shithole though.

Less of a shithole than DC.

Nah, you fags made Hawthorne heights. You're Nazi Germany tier at this point. We'll never forgive you for that.

I have no clue what that is.

You're either too old to be here, too young to be here or not from Ohio.

Sounds like you're just a faggot who cares about irrelevant shit. The problem here is you.

Stop being a grumpy little bitch. Hawethorne heights was huge. What are you, some shut in loser?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Museums are almost always on my itinerary when I travel but they aren't the only thing on it.

Where do you live that your experiences with museums could be that rough? That's a damn shame because there are some pretty cool museums out there.

Can't say I've been to any museums like that. The Bozen ice age museum had a bit of an emphasis on the scientific stuff so there were some experimental kind of exhibits where you could interact with them but other than that, all museums have been the same kind of "museum" experience.

Yeah, people wouldn't complain more if they had bar codes plastered on the walls instead of touchscreens

God you're a dull cunt

I forgot that place existed. Went there loads as a kid, was great

Yeah I hate that

That sucks man. I've rarely had to pay anything to visit a museum, which makes it a great way to pass the time when I'm bored in the city. Really good displays too.

I live in Utah and Hill Airforce base has an Airforce museum. The planes they have there are really cool, and I've seen the same ones 10-12 times. They never stop being awesome, even as an adult. Fire power is fucking rad.

bhjnlkl,

Um sweetie, the Irish aided and abetted the British Empire, and then you add in the privilege their whiteness has historically imbued the Irish with.

My pet peeve is the people (Chinese, I should say) who go to an exhibit and take pictures of each piece, one by one, followed by another picture-taker and then another, so nobody who is actually looking at the work with their eyeballs can ever get squarely in front of anything. They do the same with the placards. Why the fuck did they go there? The images and the information are all online for free.

Chinks in general are cancer, their language was essentially not made for whispering so they become irritating really fucking fast in the libraries