Alright Veeky Forums Patton or Macarthur

Alright Veeky Forums Patton or Macarthur

patton

MacArthur is less shit, I suppose.

Ike

Both were despicable human beings

General MacArthur biopic starring Bruce Willis WHEN?

Both overrated but at least Patton didn't fuck up as obviously as Mac "The Chinese will never intervene in Korea" Arthur, not even talking about MacArthur's disastrous performance in the Battle of the Philippines. Maybe it helped that Patton died and couldn't do any damage.

Least shitty commander among the allies. Auchinleck is my personal favorite and the man responsible for Rommel's defeat in El Alamein. Monty stole his glory. But in general almost all allied generals were mediocre at best

Patton wasn't a fuck up and knew that the war was really about stopping Soviet expansion and the Axis were like trees you had to hack through to stop that.

Spaatz

>"The Chinese will never intervene in Korea"
He had a plan for that that he was thankfully never allowed to go through with.

>Auchinleck is my personal favorite and the man responsible for Rommel's defeat in El Alamein.
Are you high?

>Lose at Gazala despite having literally everything in your favor
>Have total front collapse
>Lose Tobruk
>Fall back to a point some 550 kilometers away.
>Get relieved of your command
>Months later, a different general win the battle with zero input from you other than having to fight at the point you retreated to
>HURR DURR AUCHINLECK WON EL ALAMEIN!

This.

You are fucking retarded

/thread

The fact MacArthur got a congressional medal for his """defense""" of the Philippines is itself a testament against the American political system.

>Douglas "Spooked by the Gook" McArthur.
>Douglas "Takes a Slap from the Jap" MacArthur.
>Douglas "Lets the Chink through the Chainlink," MacArthur
>Douglas "The shades and hide my shame" MacArthur.

Wasn't he responsible for a few Japanese princes deaths when he was completely fucking up Japan post ww2?

MacArthur was the best Allied commander of the war, by a good margin. Nobody did more with less. 56 amphibious assaults executed, most commanders were incapable of even one.

>not Slim
Why does everyone forget?

>muh genius Nazi generals
Right, the same morons who thought that because Blitzkreig worked in France, it would work exactly the same way in Russia and the Soviets would immediately surrender upon taking Moscow and there was no need to try to seize the Caucasus or anything. The same people who literally never worked out a proper logistics train because they didn't care, then turned around and complained they weren't getting any supplies.

It's called the "forgotten army" for a reason

He had a real nickname with Douglas "Dugout Doug" MacArthur

What did MacArthur do exactly besides fighting against massively outnumbered, out-teched, underequipped gooks?

Lot's of things. He defeated some unemployed veterans with tanks, filmed himself landing on a beach that was already taken and having soldiers shoot in the water near him to look hardcore, hid in a dugout until a boat came and whisked him away to Australia, bitched and moaned every day about how the UN and SK forces were going to be pocketed in Busan again and wiped out only for Ridgeway to stabilize the frontline and advance within a few months of being put in charge

Truly the Greatest Generation

Well he rebuilt Japan as a modern democracy

Patton knew about (((them))) and they killed him for it

lemay

He was too good for this world. The hero we need but don't deserve.

Might also be because he may have been a pedophile.

Lemay

Zhukov

Balck

Montgomery was the only competent Western Allied commander, you literally cant refute this.
>inb4 buttmad muttmericans start sperging out about Market Garden

That coat looks snuggly

Morshead

Expecting to take Caen on the first day was overly ambitious at the very least

Patton didn't get his ass steamrolled in Korea

No, he got his head smashed in by a windshield

MacArthur coz of that trap hentai manga

Robin Olds

Auchinleck didn’t beat Rommel though, he just didn’t lose decisively, allowing Montgomery to win.
There’s a quote i think by Antony Beevor that explains it well
>Auchinleck was the kind of gentleman who would calmly accept an LBW (leg before wicket) and step aside. Montgomery was the kind of ruffian who would bitch and moan until he got his way. Which was why Montgomery could finally, decisively beat Rommel while Auchinleck could only manage to somewhat contain him

literally never seen a battle

The Japanese empire was defeated and retreating when Slim and the bongs finally stirred themselves.

>Georgy “I’m in your base killing my dudes” Zhukov

He was the best emperor Japan has had

He was the one who brought Ike to see concentration camps

Patton was an autistic asshole

patton is less shit but still not that great

>If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there.
Truly a military genius

Also,
>Generalissimo Stalin directed every move... made every decision... He is the greatest and wisest military genius who ever lived...

Robin Olds is better than all of them.

Misunderstood quote

He meant that if you spend time trying to defuse the minefield you'll end up losing more men because the Germans would have machineguns and artillery overlooking the minefield

>commander
user if you want to win that argument you have to specify "General officer" and even then, more specifically an army or army-group level commander. Because in terms of grand strategy (ie chiefs of staff, etc) the Western Allies had everyone beat, and Allied naval and air commanders were undoubtably the best.

>Georgy "I must unite the Russian people under one graveyard" Zhukov
gud 1 m8

Robin olds is better than everyone mentioned in this thread

every one of you should admit the the badass fighter pilot olds is better than everyone in this thread

>Alright Veeky Forums Patton or Macarthur

MacArthur unfairly gets a bad rap despite being hung-out-to-dry in the Philippines in WWII and taking the blame for Truman’s fuck up in the Korean War but that said, Patton is still the better general.

Robin Olds will always be the best figure in all of history

William Slim.

>Montgomery was the only competent Western Allied commander

Montgomery was the Zhukov of the Western Allies, his entire “strategy” consisted of building up a bunch of men and material and trying to drown the Germans in Allied blood.

If the U.S. hadn’t captured the bridge at Remagen, Monty’s plan for breaking thru the German Siegfried Line was simply for Western Allied troops to slowly and repeatedly bang their heads against the defenses until they somehow broke thru…

ROBIN OLDS ROBIN OLDS ROBIN OLDS!!!!

>Hur dur let's nuke China

It's a workable strategy when you have overwhelming advantages in men and material, methodical battle is unfairly maligned

For me, it's Omar Bradley.

FUCK YOU FAGGOTS WHY DON'T YOU ACKNOWLEDGE ROBIN OLDS IS BEST!

ROBIN OLDS
O
B
I
N

O
L
D
S

>Hur dur let's attack the Soviets who outnumber us badly and are watching for signs of "betrayal" from their western ally. It'll be easy!

Eisenhower

HELL YEAH FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES!

Pattonby a long shot.MacArthur was a pompous ass, self centered, glory hound.
He was fired for disobeying orders & insubordination to the president.Fuck MacArthur

>Right, the same morons who thought that because Blitzkreig worked in France, it would work exactly the same way in Russia and the Soviets would immediately surrender upon taking Moscow and there was no need to try to seize the Caucasus or anything
It's astonishing how one post could be so utterly and diametrically opposed to any semblance of truth or fundamental understanding.

Good ole Curtis, bringer of death & destruction

(((You)))

General of the West.

Not a bad idea in hindsight.

Probably should have gone through with it desu. With the Manhattan project littered with spies as it was only America's existing infrastructure in producing such weapons would've ensured a strategic victory, given that you cannot move your factories further east with the range on B-29's and bases in an inevitably conquered Japan.

Operation unthinkable would've been the tits with a landing in the East three months after it started in Europe.

Reminder that FDR ordered MacArthur to leave Bataan and he did not intend to do so of his own accord. He loved his men, but they were in a perilous geographic position, as the Japanese defence perimeter cut the Philippines off from Navy support. They were doomed no matter what he did.

Looks like a chad

Also fuck McArthur for protecting the incredibly guilty Japanese Imperial family. Even coached the defendants at the war crimes trials in the east to avoid implicating them, especially Hirohito. And the Japs wouldn't have given a shit if we killed Hirohito.

Tokyo trials were a sham kangaroo court. No one should've hanged, or the US should've gone after actual perpetrators instead of randomly hanging high ranking military figures.

this guy is a real chad

Probably Patton. Didn’t he get transferred because he was slapping shell shocked soldiers? That’s a fuckin beast if I’ve ever heard

Honestly the three who deserved to die the most were Hirohito, Tojo, and Shiro Ishii.

Ike was the best of the best

Yeah on the kangaroo court, however the only mistake was not hanging more of them.

Should’ve dropped the bomb on Tokyo

The most accurate statement ever posted on this board.

>Japs wouldn't have given a shit if we killed Hirohito
Mishima is not an accurate indication of the average Japanese opinion about it

True. However, the average Japanese's opinion was irrelevant. Only the leadership truly mattered.

> hurr we’re completely dependent on Western Lend-Lease and have no airforce
> durr the Western Allies don’t stand a chance!…
> za rodina!

Losing against underequipped Gooks.

Tokyo was bombed to hell with fire bomb
and the royal family is in Kyoto not Edo

“If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting.”
-- Curtis "Tokyo Torch" LeMay

For me, it’s Dutch Cota

MacArthur : "Hay U.S. State Department, what's is going on in China?"
State Dept. "Umm... I dunno?"
MacArthur : "Then ima going to invade N.Korea?"
State Dept. : "Ok, cool."
*later*
MacArthur : "WTF?!"
Truman : "It's your fault!"
MacArthur : "What?! You signed a ceasefire with Stalin!"
Truman : "You're fired!"

I'm concerned about the lack of oldsposting

>William Slim.
A literal nobody, who waited until the Japanese empire was defeated and in retreat, with its navy and air power completely destroyed, before stirring himself to reoccupy muh empire.

>The USSR had no air force
This is simply wrong.

>now the Norks threaten to nuke us on a weekly basis.

truly irony friends. Truly irony.

between those 2, Patton.
But I think Bradley was the best American general.
von Manstein for the Germans, Zhukov for Russians (he was effective, not humane), Monty for the Brits, noone for Italians (pls) and Yamamoto for the Japs