Just how fit were the Ancient Greeks?

Obviously the Ancient Greeks were extremely fit, and culturally placed a lot of importance on physical ability and aesthetics of the male physique. But what evidence is there of any particularly impressive feats, and how would they compare to people and athletes of today?

Bonus Question: Modern calculations predict that the fastest marathon time that is physically possible is just around two hours, a couple of minutes faster than the current record. Assuming that Pheidippides did actually run from Marathon to Athens how long do you think it took?

They had cute twinks back then?

Huh, the more you know.

Look, we don't need this thread again. How would they compare to athletes today? They wouldn't stand a chance. Of course, I'm talking Olympic athletes of now compared to Olympic athletes back then. We should take top tier of both societies. Either way, they wouldn't stand a snow balls chance in hell against modern Olympic athletes.

Why do you think they were all faggots? Of course they had twinks.

Check what times reenactors have run it in, then adjust the stride length to fit the average height of the period appropriate greek

A lot of those sculptures, it’s hard to imagine anyone pre-steroids having that physique.

No one cares how they would compare to a bunch of doped up "athletes".
We're talking about comparison between naturally formed and trained bodies, not about who could get away with using the most drugs.

Not really, a minority of them are crazily built. Plus, they idealize the proportions and focus on young men.

You need to take into account that for one, sculptors tended to exaggerate physical features, especially when dealing with mythical or divine subjects.
On the other hand, a lot of (well off) ancient Greeks would have trained in gyms and done calisthenics since an early age, which would have given them decades to develop their bodies.

>how would they compare to people and athletes of today
>and athletes of today
>athletes of today
>athletes
>of
>today
Look here you illiterate piece of shit. I didn't wander into this thread to some retard could accidently bump me with his bike helmet and reply to me without reading the fucking OP first.

Then compare them to athletes you cunt, not doping addicts.

doping is irrelevent, their understanding of sports science and nutrition was shit tier, they didn't train as much (probably) and didn't have people creating meal plans for them and shit

You're doing it again. Stop inconvenienceing me with your retard logic. You're drooling. Athletes vs athletes that's what the thread asked for, that's what I gave him. Now fuck off and go shove some more raisins up your nose so you can make a trip to the doc's office for a free lollipop.

What would possess a rich young Greek or Roman to spend all day working out, instead of drinking wine and fucking slave bitches?

You don't need an understanding of nutrition science to have good nutrition. Well off Greeks would have had a very good and varied diet, with fruits, vegetables, honey and a lot of meat, fish, dairy and beans.
They probably did train as much, at least the professional athletes, and many would have trained since childhood, but yeah their training was not as efficient at developing their bodies as modern sports science would be.

The point you mongoloid is that it's not a valid comparison because the capabilities and achievements of olympic athletes are tainted by doping. There is no way of knowing what is an actual result of their physique and training and what is achieved thanks to performance enhancing drugs or if their physique was even achieved naturally.

Seriously dude, I was just being a cheeky asshole at first, but you really are fucking dumb.
>why are you comparing athletes??
Because it said athletes in the OP.
>that's not even an athlete!
Yes it is, here is the exact definition of athlete
>well of course they're not comparable the Greeks would stand a chance against a dopped up athlete
That's why I specifically said there was a snowballs chance in hell.
What the fuck dude, are you just arguing to argue? Fuck off somewhere else. It's sad that I can tell you're an American simply by the timing of your idiot posts and the fact you're fucking stupid as shit. Stop giving us a bad name.

Damn Judas.

physical beauty was a manifestation of the gods and greeks tried to emulate them, which is why the statues were perfect.

i would have to read up on it, but greek word for statue means something along the lines, of "an almost divine feeling"

>they didn't train as much
Retard
> and didn't have people creating meal plans for them and shit
They knew how to be healthy to a science, ya fool.

They are consuming strength enhancers on the regular, so it's as if it's a part of their diet and it's perfectly valid.

>wow dis aple real red mus be helfy

They had a limited understanding of nutrition, just because they happened to eat a moderate diet is the result of environment, not knowledge. Sure they weren't that bad off, but that's not the diet to get to peak performance. These are fuckers who hurt themselves to hold in a fucking fart.

>inb4 but, but, muh toxins

Seeing how they had active life styles I'd say they were

This. They had professional trainers and nutritionists. Other guy is a clueless retard who talks out of his arse.

this whole muh greeks fucked each other anally meme needs to die already.

Even without drugs modern athletes would destroy them. The science behind fitness and nutrition today is far superior to anything they had then.

but they are still huge pampered pussy faggot unlike the ancient who fighted as an hoplite,killed and raped so think again soyboy

typical piece of shit urbanized cock sucker semi tranny

>They had a limited understanding of nutrition
Oh look, it's the ancient people were retarded because they didn't have science meme.

Yeah but they aren’t engaging in a phalanx battle, they’re running the 100m.

>romanticist realism
Noo the last thing they were focusing on was his ass

because you cum 5 or 6 times and you are done, effectively useless and any joy is now numbed.

as for wine, no reason you cant drink and work out.

how fit were they... well they had non sedentary lives, so on average better then we are today

as for athletics, their bodys are more general purpose built then we are today, any athlete we have that we train today will crush any from older generations besides genetic mutants.

sculptures tent to exaggerate based on its harder to see definition in non hard lighting, so they define more.

also, sculptures like david are proportionally incorrect outside of the angles they were sculpted to be looked at.

Wasn't just the Greeks ;)