African armies

What did medievil African armies look like no shit posting

Other urls found in this thread:

web.prm.ox.ac.uk/weapons/index.php/tour-by-region/oceania/africa/arms-and-armour-africa-8/index.html
vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14408
portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=3432&URL_DO=DO_PRINTPAGE&URL_SECTION=201.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Africa is a continent, not a nation or ethnic group.

You gotta be more specific OP.

Mostly light infantry with some cavalry in the Sahel.

They could raise quite a lot, 10000s, though if they went further south all the horses would die of disease.

he means black people, Amerimutts are obsessed with their ex-slaves for whatever reason

It depends what you mean by medieval, this is a period in European history that has no real meaning elsewhere. If you just mean during the European medieval period, then north African armies were cavalry heavy and made wide use of archers on foot and on horseback, east African armies were mostly spearmen, west Africans mostly fielded swordsmen and Arab cavalry.

Is that why Mani labelled Aksum as one of the four great empires of the world, along with Rome, Persia and China?

Who cares what a heretical retard says

He certainly matters more then some faggot on Veeky Forums.

Not that faggot but no, he doesn't. Some tard on Veeky Forums has access to the internet, Mani was going on rumors.

While you're correct that people on Veeky Forums have access to the Internet, you fail to take into account the average Veeky Forums poster's intelligence and ability to use said Internet.

>The only noteable African civilizations were in the north.

>>Carthage
>>Moors
>>Caliphates

You realize it's the same people, right?

Touche. I may have been mistaken, Mani Did Nothing Wrong.

Name ONE (1) notable civilization that was not in north Africa.

You realize you're a moron, right? Carthage was Lebanese, the Moors were Berbers, the Caliphate was Arab or (later) Turk.

Mali and Ethiopia

Mali, Meroe, Aksum, Great Zimbabwe.

>noteable

Literally never heard any of them.

Ethiopia was OK, appears in Biblical history.

>Literally never heard any of them.
Okay, so you're stupid. That doesn't change the fact that they existed and were notable.

>Literally never heard any of them.
Sounds like the problem then is you, my friend.
To the rest, post more ancient african love.

That user knows that but unlike you he also knows that africa was and stillis culturally diverse. There was a big difference between coastal and inner africans.

Small horses kek

How common was chainmail/plate? Was it rare because of the climate?

I think the elite warriors wore chain mail in the sahelian empires

>How common was chainmail/plate?
Pretty common among nobles and warrior class. Not so much among levies.
>Was it rare because of the climate?
It was rare because of geography. The materials for making high quality metals came from the middle east, and you had the sahara breaking the trade routes between the south and the north. If you wonder why Mali and the Ethiopian highlands had so much development compared with the rest of sub-saharan africa, it's because they controlled the few trade routes through the desert and the red sea. Everytime you have a dinastic stuggle there, the development falls a hundred years south of them because of the lack of trade.

Many wore fabric armor

Post more Benin

It'd be great to see a More modern version of their armor

That is one happy horse.

Swahili city states, Zulu, Songhai, Ghana, Mali

This is sulke (shirt) of mail from Kano, a city in Nigeria. It is of good quality with a leather collar and thongs and riveted links. In mass-produced armour, links were commonly butted together, which made for a faster method of manufacture but left the mail surface substantially weaker. The sulke was worn over quilted armour and the split down the front may be evidence of damage, as suggested by its collector, or it may be an intentional feature to make it more comfortable to wear on horseback.

It is likely that this piece was worn by a member of the Sokoto Caliphate cavalry, known as the yan lifida. The Caliphate had been founded in the early 1800s and was one of the most powerful empires in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European conquest and colonisation. Yan lifida were an elite force that served as the emir's bodyguard. Mail continued to be worn in Nigeria until the 20th century, although it was not manufactured there. Instead it was probably traded from the Islamic polities in the Sahel (the boundary strip across Africa separating the Sahara form the more fertile south).

Kano is the cultural capital of the Hausa people. The Hausa believed iron to be intimately related to the forces of life and death and thus dangerous in the wrong hands. Blacksmiths therefore formed a respected 'clan' within Hausa society and were considered as important as midwives, overseeing the delicate smelting process, using 'male' bellows and a 'female' furnace.

Source : web.prm.ox.ac.uk/weapons/index.php/tour-by-region/oceania/africa/arms-and-armour-africa-8/index.html

This thread has a lot of images :
vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14408

>tfw no medieval/fantasy fictional universe where it either takes place in a world similar to Medieval East and/or West Africa, or the heroes have to go there for some reason

Damn it all, if I have to make one myself despite me not doing something like that ever, I will. Just look at this fucking throwing knife.

I bet there is. You just have to look it up.

For wargaming you have LOTRSBG and Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago.

Balogun Ojetade is an Afrocentrism who makes litrpg.

It was phenician not lebanese you fool

>I’m a retard who hasn’t studied African history LOL AFRICANS BTFO

Why is Mohammad black?

I'm a retard, please disregard my post.

>everyone named Mohammed is the prophet pbuh

that's not the Mohammad you are thinking about

An exciting Sword and Soul tale by Balogun Ojetade, Once Upon a Time in Afrika Tells the story of a beautiful princess and her eager suitors. Desperate to marry off his beautiful but "tomboyish" duaghter, Esuseeke, the Emperor of Oyo, consults the Oracle. The Oracle tells the Emperor Esuseeke must marry the greatest warrior in all Onile (Afrika). To determine who is the greatest warrior, the Emperor hosts a grand martial arts tournament inviting warrior from all over the continent. Unknown to the warriors and spectators of the tournament a powerful evil is headed their way. Will the warriors band together against this evil?

Magic. Myth. Warfare. Wonder. Beauty. Bravery. Glamour. Gore. Sorcery. Sensuality. These and many more elements of fantasy await you in the pages of Griots, which brings you the latest stories of the new genre called Sword and Soul. The tales told in Griots are the annals of the Africa that was, as well as Africas that never were, may have been, or should have been. They are the legends of a continent and people emerging from shadows thrust upon them in the past. They are the sagas sung by the modern heirs of the African story-tellers known by many names - including griots. Here, you will meet mighty warriors, seductive sorceresses, ambitious monarchs, and cunning courtesans. Here, you will journey through the vast variety of settings Africa offers, and inspires. Here, you will savor what the writings of the modern-day griots have to offer: journeys through limitless vistas of the imagination, with a touch of color and a taste of soul.

From Here To Timbuktu - Milton J. Davis

Any context to this?

they are Mossi cavalry from the 19th century.
no one knows what the Malian warriors looked like there's no depictions of them but my guess is maybe they looked similar to the Tuareg horseman.

look up the Benin bronzes, their very interesting. the Benin warriors used Pangolin scales, crocodile skin and coral beads as Armour.

they also used Portuguese mercenaries against their enemies.

pic related Portuguese mercenaries with morion helmets.

Neat

Benin sword

Medieval and early modern West African militaries were pretty equestrian, and horsemen in these societies were generally held in prestige. After the introduction of firearms, African cavalrymen pretty immediately began using muskets and carbines.

Wherever they went, they also had to rape

I worry that the Beninese may suffer from "Aztec syndrome" -- because they happened to be the most attested in early Western records, normies and historians of the regions mistakenly assume this one polity was exceptionally more prominent or well-organized than its neighbors.

So did Europeans

Interesting take on smithing.

Guild Wars: Nightfall Expansion revolves around travelling to the continent of Elona, which is African themed. It was a great game and setting.

Supposed to be cavalry from the Songhai Empire.

>Haha I win because I know less

>fantasy
Absolutely horrible taste, fuck off. We need historical games, already have a million fantasy games

>Almoravid
Pic related

>Fig. 3.—Bronze plaque, representing three warriors, two with feathers in head-dress and trefoil leaves at top; one with pot helmet, button on top. The latter has a coral choker, badge of rank, and all have leopards’ teeth necklaces. The central figure has a cylindrical case on shoulder. Two have hands on their sword-hilts. All three have leopards’ heads on breast, and quadrangular bells hanging from neck. Leopards’ skins and other objects hang on left sides. Ground ornamented with foil ornaments incised.

>Fig. 180.—Bronze plaque, representing the figure of a warrior, with unusually formed helmet, apparently of metal. Quadrangular bell on neck and teeth necklace. Shield on right arm, and spear with square cap at butt end, point downwards, in left hand. The ground is ornamented with two half-moons and the usual leaf-shaped foil ornaments incised.

>THE BATTLE OF ULUNDI—FINAL RUSH OF THE ZULUS. THE BRITISH SQUARE IN THE DISTANCE.

Drawing by R. Caton Woodville.

well the medieval army of Mali for example was almost entirely made up of archers equipped with long bows and poison arrows pic related.
the infantry were wither equipped with reed shields and spears or poisoned javelins.

unlike a lot of the depictions of the Malians they didn't wear turbans and were lightly clothed it wasn't until the Tuareg invaded that they adopted more Islamic clothing.

>What did medievil Eurpoorean armies look like no shit posting

If you go to some parts of Africa you are still in time to see some of them

i believe Aksum was africas chance at a great civilization. shame their economy collapsed due to currency bullshittery

"The earliest European–African military contests, waged on
the Senegambian coast in the mid-fifteenth century, clearly reveal the
superiority of poisoned arrows to the armour that Portuguese marines wore
in the period, for the Portuguese accounts of the encounters constantly reveal
the fear they had of poisoned archery. Given the musket’s general inaccuracy,
musketry was most effective when masses of troops confronted each other,
and less effective when soldiers advanced in dispersed order (as they often
did in Africa) or in environments such as rainforest."

"To the infantry and cavalry forces of the savannah and Sahel, Sudanese
armies added watercraft on the rivers and along the coast, and their victories
over the Portuguese gave them a permanent influence in the future of
Senegambia. These watercraft were designed for use in the shallow waters
of the coast and estuaries, and were much better suited to the environment
than the Portuguese seagoing vessels. When the Portuguese sought to land
marine forces by longboat, African navies were able to bring up larger
forces by their own craft and stunned the invaders in a series of victories,
which allowed people from Senegambia southwards to dictate their relationship
with Portugal."

"Guns might not upset the balance of power even when borne by cavalry.
The Bambaras, for example, who were equipped with only “poisoned arrows
and sabres”, still managed to defeat Moroccan-backed cavalry armies from
the western desert with substantial numbers of firearms three times in the
first two decades of the eighteenth century.79 At about the same time, the
people of Khasso, feared as attackers all along the Senegal, were also armed
entirely with bows and poisoned arrows even as late as 1729."

The impact of firearms was as slow and uneven in the southern part of
the Upper Guinea coast as it was in the savannahs north of it. Initially
they were weapons only of Europeans, and Portuguese and English musketeers
served as mercenaries in the armies of Sierra Leone during the Mane
invasion period of the mid to late sixteenth century, sometimes on opposing
sides. Their weapons, while valued, were not much imitated and people
of the region do not seem to have taken a strong interest in developing
their own corps of musketeers.

It was only in the later part of the seventeenth century, about the time
that the flintlock musket became available, that Africans sought to obtain
their own supplies and raise their own corps of musketeers. Muskets imported
from Europe began to appear in the armies of the Gambia and Casamance
in the 1670s as infantry weapons. In fact, the king of Casamance defeated
an English naval attack with continuous musket fire in about 1685.12 In
1726 one extensive Gambian war involving “most of the countries bordering
the river” occasioned, according to British traders, “vast demands for arms
and gunpowder.

But the spread of firearms did not wholly replace older missile weapons.
When Francis Moore visited the Gambia in the 1731, he took pains to
praise the Fulbe of the region for their military prowess. Their weapons
included some guns, but they were still primarily armed with lance, assagai,
short cutlass, and bow and arrows, and most of the Mandinkas of the
riverine towns carried similar weapons and few guns in his day. The
poisoned arrows of earlier years were also still very much in use at the
time: a man in Niumi showed the Englishman a “vast number” of them,
each daubed in poison that was so “rank that it is only needed to draw
blood to kill”. Like wise, a French visitor to the Gambia as late as 1763
felt that guns were primarily confined to elite and guards units, and were
certainly not available to all infantry.”

bump

>medieval
>african
kys OP
Africa is a fucking huge and differentiated continent, there were completely different armies in nowadays northern and southern Ghana, and thats just few hundred km difference and Africa is thousands square km large with hundreds and hundreds of types of armies.
And medieval is a eurocentric time period separating antiquity (roman empire) and modern times (colonization), there is no precise equivalent in Africa. Based on the region and your definition of what "medieval" means (i suppose your stupid brain meant something along the lines of centralized administration, development of metalurgy, cultivation of land and animals) you could range african "medieval" anywhere from 2000 BC to 1900 AD.

I'm not even a nigger, but OP just shows western ignorance towards any other history.

How would you say it?

There isn't clear terminology for african development, so i'd just say i.e. "What did West African armies look like in 12th century?"

>xd
>xD
>XD

There is literally no mention of Egypt here. Straw man.

WE WAZ IRON AGE!
in the 18th century...

You have to be dumb and you have no knowledge of African history or you have to be trolling. Look up Timbuktu, Songhai, Mali empire, Kongo empire, Ancient Nubia, and Aksum.

Afrocentrist triggered.

They were using iron since Nok Culture(1000 BC) and probably since 2000BC.

>Controversy flared again with the publication of excavations by Étienne Zangato and colleagues of their excavations in the Central African Republic.[14][15] At the site of Oboui they excavated an undated iron forge, for which they obtained eight consistent radiocarbon dates of 2000 BC. This would make Oboui the oldest iron working site in the world, and more than a thousand years older than any other dated evidence of iron in Central Africa. Opinion among African archaeologists is sharply divided. Some accept this interpretation, but it has also been suggested that Oboui is a highly disturbed site, with older charcoal having been brought up to the level of the forge by the digging of pits into older levels [16] Questions have also been raised about the unusually good state of preservation of metallic iron from the site.[17]

Nok culture is in the 18th century?

I am not even afrocentrist and I know at least some African history. I am not even saying Egypt wuz black and sheit. I am just saying some basic facts about African Empire you dumb fuck. I just gave you some names of African empires and you got so triggered that some Africans had empires back in the past. Read a fucking book.

*African empires*

Wait a second, this retard think Nok culture appear in the 18th century?

portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=3432&URL_DO=DO_PRINTPAGE&URL_SECTION=201.html

Africans actually had some pretty cool looking war canoe's, some were massive.

>Nok culture

Some shitty terracota sculptures. Greeks were building the Parthenon at the same time.

What if you need to turn

The thing is if you can figure out how to make bead necklaces, then you can probably figure out how to make chainmail as long as you have the materials. It's not a complex concept.

Pretty sure that technically would not be considered a canoe.

well no but colloquially it is.

simple all the rowers on the opposite side that you want to turn keep rowing while the others stop.

have you ever done kayaking?

>medievil

African-American orthography detected.

Everyone prays to the rotation god