How do I keep groceries under $150 a month without making food miserable/strictly for macros? pic unrelated

How do I keep groceries under $150 a month without making food miserable/strictly for macros? pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cheap shitty food?
coupons?
lotta veggies
going vegan my cumqaut

I'm not going vegan.

Buy seasoning with monosodium glutamate

Go to costco. Go to the spices section. Buy one of each. That 100 dollars you spend on a good spice rack will make even the most boring food taste good and it will last like 2 years.

Find one of those stores that sells cheap as fuck groceries that are about to go bad for way cheaper than normal supermarket price

I eat chocolate cereal/oatmeal from whole foods with chocolate or vanilla soy milk and a banana in the morning, 2 eggs 3-4 servings of egg whites, two slices of turkey bacon, 1-2 slices of toast, pwo and dinner is kale/spinach salad with caesar dressing, croutons, and shredded parmesan with 8oz chicken and white or sweet potato

All from whole foods and I'm on that poverty life. Hit all my macros and micros safely and I look forward to my meals. And yes spices contribute a lot to the boring chicken breast

Invest in a cheap freezer.
Buy only certain meats but also buy all meat that is on sale and fill it up.
Get a few staples that won't go bad easily.
Dry beans
Rice
Flour
Sugar
Learn the power of herbs and spices
Buy veg and fruit on the cheap.

Start or make friends with people who have a garden or farm
Take up hunting fishing or become fast friends with hunters and fishers.
Learn how to forage

I was at Walmart yesterday, they had a dozen eggs for 89 cents. If you eat 6 eggs a day that is under 50 cents a day. That leaves you with another 4.50 a day to fuck with. My next move would be a big ass bag of beans, yellow onions and hot sauce. The rest of the month is finding the cheapest pork/chicken possible.

>lunch + dinner
rice in rice cooker
cheapest meat possible + diced veggies + sauce to pair with meat in crockpot
make several portions at once
>breakfast
eggs however you want, with oatmeal and/or meat/toast/veggies/whatever you want and can afford on the side
>beverage
whole milk and water to drink
>snack
cheapest bulk nuts for snacks
ez

Rice
Beans
Oats
Pasta
Chicken
Ground beef
Sausages
Eggs
Nuts/seeds
Peanut butter
Tuna

Thats all you need for gauns in the gym and the wallet m9

Go at night for discounts on meat and bread. Buy bulk quantities of rice, lentils, and beans. Buy at least 12-15 different spices, and use them for every meal so things don't get too boring. You can also buy frozen vegetables if fresh are too expensive, and you can spend a little bit on things like (healthy) tortilla chips and salsa for snacks. Also try different cooking methods for the same foods to keep things interesting. You can make chicken, rice, and broccoli, but you can also throw some onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, beans, rice, and chicken in a pot for a stew and have an equally nutritious meal that isn't cooked the same every day.

>without making food miserable

That's not something anyone can truly prescribe for you. You can change how you feel about eating without changing your foods and not feel any different about eating while eating different foods that are much cheaper.
I think the main course of action you ought to take is examine what you like about eating and then cut out everything extraneous. And don't trust your imagination when considering how eating a certain way would make you feel, try it.

>throwingupanimegirl.jpg

Learn how to be an adult and stop impulse buying random bullshit/junkfood, learn how to portion your meals better, and stop being a boredom eating gluttonous fuck. Spend that money on ingredients that can be used for multiple meals/meal prep (rice, beans, oats, potatoes, eggs, flour, cornmeal, assorted veggies, etc) and LEARN TO COOK YOUR OWN FOOD. I eat comfortably on a food budget of 80 - 100$ (purchasing no shit like ramen or frozen microwave meals, only actual food/fooditems meant for homecooking) per month with 'big' meals (foods that can last more than one day like chili, lasagna, casserole, pot roast, etc) on Sundays/Wednesdays and fixing whatever tickles my fancy when those run out (stir-fry, rice and beans, fried chicken, etc).

If you like coffee then get a grinder and a press and buy whole beans rather than going to starbucks or some other coffe shop.

Is it cheaper to buy meat at an independent butchery than at the grocery store?

I eat 16 oz of meat a day to keep me filled up and help hit my numbers with out drinking any protein powder. At 6 or 7 dollars a pound that's just under or around 200 a month. I am doing it wrong? Should I not eat so much pork, chicken or turkey?

>local place hiked all their prices up to being only very slightly cheaper than normal stores
>everything under a week to or already past their best by dates
dunno how they're still in business

>not a single green vegetable in sight

enjoy your colon cancer

>how to keep food under 150$ a month

what are you a bitch that's plenty of money to stock up your groceries

>get a Sams card
>DON'T buy sides or snacks
>chicken,pork,beef, eggs
>stock up freezer and buy when one gets low alternating between them
>when freezer is finally stocked up just buy like I said when one is low but always buying one
>buy steamed veggies since it's easier and easy to throw in for a stir fry
>slowly buy sides/snacks but never have a grocery shopping be ONLY snacks it's always just a accesory
>break the 150$ to 40$ a week so you go every Friday and don't feel like you're starving by not going to get food one whole week

I did this in college and was able to stock my fridge/pantry easy enough while having extra money left over by month 4. Then I go to my friends apt or dorm and they literally have a bag of chips, nutella and a loaf of bread only because they don't know how to shop

Fill your freezer when things go on sale really cheap, so then you'll be stocked up on things like meat, which are usually expensive, and on frozen vegetables, which last far longer than fresh vegetables.

Buy spices that will last a long time, you know what spices you like, buy those. If you don't know, try some basic spices out.

Cheap fresh veggies are things like onions, carrots, potatoes, and depending on where you live sometimes sweet potatoes.

Stock up on cheap grains like rice, and oatmeal if you like that for breakfast, they never go bad and are cheap as hell. Also dried beans are cheap as hell and can be cooked in the slow cooker real nice.

Grow your own food.
I grow probably 30% of everything I eat. the only time I don't is late winter(I'm pretty shit at food storage).

Its really fucking easy to do. Get like 10 chickens, put them so during the day they open graze on a fenced off area. They will eat all the grass and weeds and seeds after a while. you then move them and use the area they just cleaned as your garden plot.

Set up a lawn sprinkler that is on a garden watering timer, watch for disease, fertilize, harvest, eat.

Your area will have a local extension office that can help you with more specific shit like soil PH and planting times.

None of this advice applies to me lol. Not sure why you thought you knew me at all but I already cook for myself. I still go over $200 every time I shop

Maybe it's the shitty cost of living here

why not just get protein powder so you don't have to eat so much meat daily? Sounds like whey could save you hella money

As someone that's been a long time lurker at Veeky Forums the responses here make me cringe pretty hard.

>he cant bulk under $50 a month

>rice
>beans
>frozen chicken
>oats
>peanut butter
>eggs

Buy food in bulk. A Costco membership is great if you can afford it.

Don't forget to buy some hot sauce or other sauce/spice/seasoning, so you don't hate your life. I buy bananas and broccoli too, which are pretty cheap.

Also, I get a lot of calories from protein powder. The MyProtein whey is the best value I've found.

>go hunting
>spend all day sitting in a blind thinking about how much I wish I was doing benchpress right now

any proper way to freeze meat? wanna buy those chicken breasts on bulk when they get on sale
I've got some zipperlock bags but theyre too small so I use them for bananas that are going bad and I dont plan eating soon

Raw beans, raw rice, lots of frozen veggies, bananas is what I recommend. I did that for a monthand only spent $30 a week. Lost 12lbs of fat, gained 2lbs of muscle.

check out rabbits too my gardening bro. Most of our brotein comes from chicken eggs and rabbit meat.

They're super fucking easy to breed and raise, virtually no disease or pest, and the meat is so close to chicken you won't be able to tell the difference. I figured out that when I breed the does 7-8 times a year and buy the feed in bulk, the consumeable meat yield comes to ~$.75/lb.

I have 50 breeding does and average a little over 2700 rabbits a year. I harvest all of them at 8-10 weeks and get about 2.25-2.75lbs of meat off each. The dogs get the heart, lungs, stomach, liver and intestines. The hide and bones and sinew get tossed in the black soldier fly generator (which feeds my chickens).

The ones we don't eat I sell live as pets or dressed out for food at $10 a pop (the sales of which actually covers more than my total feed costs).

I even have a regular buyer who is a chef at a french restaurant. He calls me in the morning almost every day telling me how many he wants. I cull them, dress them, pack them in an ice chest and set them on the front porch. He picks it up and drops off the other cooler all cleaned out and packed with fresh ice for tomorrow. I get either cash or boxes of frozen veggies and meats as payment too.

You think you can get a lot of frozen corn from Walmart on sale. This chef says hes getting a bargain from me for 5 fresh rabbits in exchange for a 30lb case of frozen corn and another of frozen broccoli.

Combined with my garden we don't spend a single dime on food except for the occasional meal out or special dinner.

>freeze meat
freezing meat is all about speed my friend

if you buy a package of chicken breasts it will freeze slower in the foam lined packaging than if you remove the breasts and package them up seperately or in pairs.

a large chuck roast will freeze slower than if you divide it into two portions before packaging it.

ALSO: Be real friendly with the meat department. Every store gets their packaged chicken in already frozen.
>"Hey there, I saw you had a great price on those chicken breasts out there. I was planning to stock up and hoping you might have some still frozen?"

if its already frozen you dont need to worry about refreezing it.

you kill the rabbits yourself?

>you kill the rabbits yourself?
No. I hire a mexican to come to my house to do it.

>grab the rabbit
>hold rabbit under left arm
>grab the metal stick
>smack rabbit on the crown right behind the ears
>string hind legs up
>knick the carotid artery
>leave hanging for 3-5 minutes to drain
>knick the flesh around the hind ankles
>pull hide towards crotch
>gather the hide in left hand
>slip knife through the leg holes and slice open underneath tail
>pull hide inside out around neck
>break the paws
>retract forearms from hide
>slice the ligature to seperate arms from hide
> gather hide and skull in left hand, decapitate.
>toss hide and skull in bucket
>slice open abdomen
>slice up the vent, toss bladder in bucket. gather intestines, stomach, lungs, heart, liver, pop off the gallbladder into the bucket
>toss the gizzards to the dogs
>take dressed rabbit inside to cut up.

the longest part of the whole thing is waiting for it to drain out. In fact it took me longer type out the process than it takes to do the cutting.

this method produces the best meat. if you break the neck first the animal dies. then no matter how long you let it drain there will still be blood left in the tissue and it bruises and spoils easier.

By knocking it unconscious and letting it bleed out the heart will pump a lot of the blood out of the capillaries and veins as it dies. And they don't feel shit because they're unconscious from getting cracked in the skull by a 1" steel pipe.

Buy cheap meat and cover them in panko crumbs. serve on rice with sauce of your flavor. This was my diet when I was studying. Make sushi rice with rice vinager and sugar if you want to go fancy.

Fuck i want to do this

any good starting youtube channels / books / etc. for self sufficiency and raising chickens and rabbits?

jesus. I couldn't do that. Its fucking awesome you've got the whole food thing figured out for your family though. Mad props.

What do your kids think of it?

I've read before you cannot just live off of rabbits. Their meat contains or lacks something. Switch it up with some other meat

Source: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

Rice, beans, potatoes, whole wheat pasta and bread for carbs.

Random veggies. Go for colorful shit. Peppers, tomatoes, spinach, asperagus.

Some bananas for fruit. Most fruit is meh for nutrients except berries and pricey pound for pound vs veggies

Big packets of chicken and turkey, eggs, milk, cheese for protein.

correct me if i'm wrong but couldn't you just idk supplement your fat intake? have a tsp of olive oil or some fish oil pills with your rabbit?

My kids have grown up around it their whole lives. I've always had chickens and I started with rabbits as a way to raise more of my own brotein instead of buying it.

At first my husband when we started dating didn't even want to eat my eggs, but he wisened up. He didn't touch the rabbit for years. He is the deffinition of a picky eater city boy and even he says it tastes just like chicken.

The kids are like me, grew up around it and its just how it is. They're getting old enough that they are taking over the rabbits daily needs as part of their chores. The oldest is 7 and he's picking up on the breeding aspect now.

I think most kids are curious. When their friends come over for sleep overs they always want tendy wraps for snacks. slaughter a couple rabbits, bread them up and fry them while the kids get a bunch of lettuce and veg. The biggest trouble is the parents who are revolted their kids like eating rabbit.

>bitch please
>fresh meat, eggs, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, salad greens, homemade mustard and mayo all wrapped up in a bib lettuce.
>what the fuck do you serve my kids at your place? hot pockets? fuck that.

i said we get most of our protein from eggs and rabbits.

I didn't say we get all off it from rabbits.

I get bacon, frozen sausage, turkeys, chicken, beef and pork roasts as paynent for my rabbits from the chef all the time.

breakfast is always 14 slices of bacon pan fried, veggies are quickly fried up in the fat, and 18 eggs added in. plated up on top of buttered toast. Served with milk and fruited oatmeal.

Kids and us all get sent to school and work with a heaping salad.

Taco Tuesdays, Pasta Fridays, and each of the kids gets to pick dinner one day of the week.

You should post this on /an/

Dub trips speak truth

PETA loving fags would have a heart attack. the only difference between how I slaughter my rabbits and Halal is that I knock out my rabbits before slicing the carotid.

The only reason they don't knock out a goat before cutting open its neck is because... try knocking out a goat, Babe Ruth with a solid titanium bat would be hard pressed.

you're like the perfect wife
i realize you're probably a fag tho.

fuck i wish i had my shit this together. here i am sitting at my desk with a paper plate, plastic fork and a warm bottle of blue moon with my headphones on pretending i cant hear the couple screaming next door about who left the fridge open.

Like a big ol' pot of chilli is cheap as fuck and will deal with a whole weeks worth of dinners

or bolognese if you're a pussy ass bitch

>that guy who picks berries in between sets

>mfw i shop 99 cent store
>mfw i wish i had 150 dollars to wast on food
college, time of your life huh...

Are you concerned about lectin in raw beans?

>not jogging after the prey till they collapse from exhaustion
Never gonna make it.

Rice and legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.) are your friends.
They are super cheap and combined do they offer high amounts of complete protein and fiber. Best vegetables to buy are carrots and onions. They are really cheap as well, they are healthy and add taste.

Chicken is your friend as well. The smaller the cut, the more expensive it gets though, for some retarded reasons. Sometimes you can buy an entire chicken for the same price as two packaged and cut chicken breasts. If you go through the effort of chopping it up yourself, then you can make chicken soup, fried chicken, grilled oven chicken legs, etc. Just using the bones is enough to make a stock.

To get more cheap protein, buy tons of cheese and eggs. Both should be cheap as well if you don't buy organic shit.

Depends how much effort you're gonna put in, friend

Lazymode:
- big bulk bags of steamed frozen veg
- bulk lowest quality chicken filet and lean ground beef
- pasta/rice/beans in big bags

Slightly more effort
- cheap green veg in produce section, brocoli/spinach etc
- discount fruit
- better meat when on sale
- basic spices

Supermarket expert mode
- scouring the place for the best deals
- knowing when the good meat sale is
- coupons
- all the spices

Outside the supermarket mode
I get america doesnt have this in most towns, but small fruit/veg stores run by (in my case) a turkish family have a superior product at same or less of the price. Also their halal chicken is less watery than the supermakrets
- markets / farmers markets
- a butcher that doesnt rip you off for non-prime cuts
- special spice blends indian/arabian/jerk etc

>posted from my Macbook Air

kek

no one forced you to go to college cuck. Make sure you finish that white privilege paper!

Rabbit user here.

Also forgot to mention OP, go to the ethnic food stores to get the bulk foods for cheap. At the chinese joint I can get a 50lb commercial bag of rice for $15. And at the mexican joint I can get a 50lb of pinto beans for $18, and 50lbs of cornmeal for $10. their meats tend to be cheaper too