Dan Carlin

What does Veeky Forums think of Dan Carlin’s hardcore history podcast? I’ve been listening to it at work and it’s o pretty entertaining but how accurate is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/ghostoftheostfront/01-episode-27-ghosts-of-the-ostfront-i-feat-dan-carlin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many Dan Carlin threads do have a to have per week ffs

Yes he is entertaining, and a good start to get you interested into a new topic.

No his word is not fact, and he states many times that he is not a historian so dont take his word for fact.

He is popular. You're not allowed to like him if your a serious historian.

Why do people want to listen to him pad out episodes as long as possible by straying from the topic as far as possible with a bunch of pop culture analogies.

Sorry I don’t browse here too often.
Who should I listen too? Not that I’m a serious historian but I do have a general interest in history.

Read books instead, then.

where can you stream his podcasts for free? i'm a poor boy.

I work 14 hours a day and I’m shipping out to navy basic training soon. With that being said I simply don’t have the time to read, as much as I would like it. I’m 70 pages into Storm of Steel and it’s taken me like 2 weeks to get that far in.

soundcloud has ghosts of the ostfront

soundcloud.com/ghostoftheostfront/01-episode-27-ghosts-of-the-ostfront-i-feat-dan-carlin

thankyou

I’d say for the most part it’s all accurate. He uses really good sources and a lot of first hand accounts

I personally don't find him entertaining and his inaccuracies hurt a lot for authenticity. I also dislike the defence of "well he's not a historian so don't worry about it" because at that point why even put it out there if you're not going to be accurate?

AGEEN

AND AGEEN

AND AGEEN

> He uses really good sources and a lot of first hand accounts

Dan Carlin often falls into the trap of "accurate but not correct". He loves his primary sources, which is great, but he often over-focuses on those primary sources, and lacking historian training, often neglects the larger context of his primary sources.

What hardcore history does well is tell the narrative of the primary source characters, what it does not do as well is provide a good answer for the 5W's of history.

An example is his depiction of Kaiser Wilhelm II in Countdown to Armageddon. Carlin overly depends on the primary source of the Kaiser's own journals, and his immediate circle, and paints this picture that Wilhelm is some sort of tragic victim caught in a machine he has no control over. But when you look at what Wilhelm does, his actions in the decades running up to WW1, it's clear that Wilhelm II is one of the people most knowingly responsible for the start of WW1, and being unable to have the degree of control that he wanted is largely due to Wilhelm being incompetent.

I'm sorry I'm a fucking retard, but didn't he go to school for history? How much history schooling do you have to have before you're an historian?

>I'm sorry I'm a fucking retard, but didn't he go to school for history?
This is not impressive.

>time to listen to podcasts
>no time to read

Fucking normalfags that are too stupid and impatient to read and think listening to entertainers larping as historians is just as good.

>complaining about me not reading but having time to listen to podcast
>don’t read where I state in the OP that I listen to them at work
Nigga why don’t you learn how to read you cum guzzling faggot.

I like him, but...
First and foremost, as he often says, he’s an entertainer and not a historian. There’s bound to be inaccuracies. But he does go off a huge list of sources for his shows (which he has all on his website), he’s definitely more well-read than the average user on here. But still, he’s here to entertain. Don’t go in expecting an academic appraisal of a historical event.
For me, Dan gives me the more cinematic and entertaining rundown of some historical event I know little about and then I follow up with books on the topic.

Why don’t you reread the OP you dumb nigger.

fpbp

>listening at work
>can't read at work

>read at day job
>don’t get work done
>get fired
>read at night job
>cause a car accident
You’ve never had a job before and it’s painfully obvious.

>complain about “normalfags” not reading
>post in thread
>don’t lurk or read the OP
>probably never read the rules
Forget /pol/, leftypol or reddit. This is the true Cancer killing Veeky Forums.

>listening to podcast while working, don't pay attention so miss half of the out of context and inaccurate facts

there are plenty of jobs where you can read like nightshift security and so on.

Does anybody at all pronounce pharaoh "FAY-ROH"??? I have literally never heard anybody but him say this and it triggers me every time.

Otherwise I don't mind him, I listen to his shit at work but when he gets his weird growling voice for those supposedly intense moments it gets a little silly.

>moving the goalpost
>just get another job senpai
This is the last (you) I’m giving you. Tbh I thought this was the smart board but it seems that even a normie like me who barley finished high school and took 4 years to get an associates degree because I worked so damn much has better reading comprehension than you. If I did have the time to read I would shatter you in any debate we had. If we met in real life I would be able to own you even with my 14 hour work days and , physically, I would fuck you up and make you my bitch.

how am I meant to know what kind of job you work you dumb cunt

This reads like a "and I hate every single one of you" copypasta.

>claims to be very smart and strong
>has to work 14 hour shifts

Kek, I hope this is a troll post rather than someone hammering away at their keyboard thinking they are making a serious point.

Lindy is unironically better.

[Sword of Damocles reference intensifies]

>what the fuck did you say about me, you little bitch?

10/10

>he works hard he HAS to be dumb.

>And I always try to remind myself....

his podcasts are too long for what little information gets conveyed.

thats a retarded opinion man

everyone forgets that being a historian does not make you magically correct and immune to making mistakes and criticism. So not being an historian does not make him wrong.

I get that feeling listening to Ghost of the Ostfront as I type this.

Bump

Nice