What would consider some of the most severely underrated of the Roman Emperors? Popular history gives us Augustus...

What would consider some of the most severely underrated of the Roman Emperors? Popular history gives us Augustus, Trajan, Hadrian and Constantine, but surely there others?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermannsdenkmal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Aurelian
Had that fucker lived we'd probably be praising the sun right now

Diocletian was a monster but he was the monster Rome needed to survive and transition into the Christian era.

Domitian was a victim of one of the worst smear campaigns in Roman history. Dude was a pretty good Emperor.

Vespasian. He stabilised the empire after the "year of 4 emperors" chaos.

Caligula

Julian. If he had worn his armor on that fateful day the christfags would have been BTFO over the coming centuries and the world would have been a better place for the absence of their particular brand of nonsense.

Claudius, definitely
This user is right about Domitian

Other than that, I'd say Claudius Gothicus, Constantine V Leo I, Constantius, Constantius II, Marcian, Zeno, Anastasius, Tiberius II, Maurice, Galleinus, Romanus, John Tzimiskes

Most "underrated" Emperors are obscure figures that people find interesting or amusing

But Valentinian was one of the greatest Emperors in Roman history and somehow nobody ever talks about him except to mention his meme death.

Basically every notable Emperor in the Late period is pretty underrated

I actually think Julian is overrated tbqh. He was a mediocre General whose subordinates carried him to victory, he ravaged parts of Illyria and Italy so badly that they never recovered, was completely obsessed with his own popularity to the point of neglecting the affairs of state, and started the annoying trend of trying to appease foreigners instead of just beating them up then forcing them to fight for you.

My nigga Severus and his nigga Caracella

Caracella was just a dumb brute though, even he knew that.

Why wypipo tryna take away black history hmmm

Aurelian, though he's not really underrated by anybody with knowledge on the matter. Same for Majorian.

Vespasian doesn't get a while lot of credit despite being a pretty stable and humble guy. Domitian is underrated as mentioned his biggest crime was not being his brother.

I'm gonna say Tiberius as well.

Tiberius

I'd agree with Tiberius solely due his titanic restraint in not strangling Livia to death and raping her corpse.

For East Roman emperors, I'd have to say Mauricius. He helped put a Sassanian prince on the Persian throne in exchange for a chunk of Armenia & Georgia, and actually maintained good relations with the guy (which puts him a step above most other emperors). He pushed back into Italy and North Africa, and kept the Avars north of the Danube. His death (killed during a coup by his general Phocas) led to a 26-year-long war between Byzantium and Persia that weakened both empires enough for the Muslims to come and conquer the Middle East from them.

Sad as well, Mauricius seemed oddly amiable with the idea of the Muslims (from their accounts anyways)

>>He was a mediocre General
I'm not talking about any of his military capability here.

>>he ravaged parts of Illyria and Italy so badly that they never recovered
Sounds like bullshit to me, but even if he had that's pretty fucking trivial long term.

>>was completely obsessed with his own popularity to the point of neglecting the affairs of state,
Or you know, he was occupied trying to undermine a dangerous cult.

>>and started the annoying trend of trying to appease foreigners instead of just beating them up then forcing them to fight for you.
The fact that trend continued after him should tell you that said trend was probably an inevitability.

Tiberius was pretty decent. He kept the empire at peace, despite never really wanting to be an emperor.

Him being a pedophile is probably a propaganda by his political opponents.

>When your fedora is too tight

>Vespasian realizes he's about to die
>Realizes he's about to die from uncontrollable shitting
>Uncontrolled shitting while literally on the toilet.
>Cracks a joke, and then demands that an Emperor should die standing rather than in such a weak pathetic manner.

Truly underated.

>Him being a pedophile is probably a propaganda by his political opponents.

except pedophilia was pretty much okay back in the day

This, totally underrated. His supposed dying words make me think he was really grounded in reality and an all round good dude.
>I think I'm becoming a god now...

Claudius makes me really sad to read about. A bookish cripple hated and hidden away by his own family despite them knowing him to be very mentally able.
>made emperor in order to undermine imperial system and return to the republic because they thought people would never accept a cripple
>ends up being a very sensible emperor who promoted development, prosperity and relative peace.

lol your guy got a spear through him and died like an idiot, got hundreds of his own men killed in a useless war, had his own pagan historian friend talk shit about him, completely failed in suppressing the One True Faith, and theres nothing you can do about it

Not the other guy. I find Julian absolutely fascinating. I always thought a short series about his reign would be awesome if it were done right and each side were given a fair portrayal. I.e Christianity as a response to centuries of slavery and brutality but a closed minded and violent rabble as well as the erudite. Paganism and Platonism as noble but deluded.

The room for philosophical debate, exploration about the nature of belief, ideals and human nature would be great. They'd never make it though because of ameritards or they'd dumb it down to a retarded level.

Genuinely considered trying to write it but I have no clue how to write scripts.

>in another world Domitian gets the respect he deserves
>in that would it would be called the reign of the 8 good emperors (from Vespasian to Marcus Aurelius) and not 4-5

Caligula did nothing wrong. The senate and their retarded supporters deserved their humiliation

Sol Invictus really left its mark to the point that every Christian imagery has a radiant crown behind the head

That doesn't come from the Sol cult,it originates with the Greek veneration of Helios.

Tiberius was maybe a creep at the end of his life, but he left the state with a pretty big treasury. A fact that allways will be underrated.

I think Constantius II is very underrated. The dude had his problems and murdered almost his entire family, but he held the persians in check and ruled pretty competent. He had to fight 4 challenges to his rule and had deal with the Arian dispute within christianity. Add to this the fact he almost ruled for 30 years and you got a pretty solid and underrated emperor.

Tiberius completely failed in passing the torch though. If he wasn't so god damn insecure about Germanicus and his family and didn't kill them all, we probably would have never even had Caligula or any of that shit.

Julius caesar, despite not being overlooked, nor an emperor, still manages to be the most underrated one. he was just that great

>to undermine imperial system

true.

>and return to the republic

First I've heard of it.

>Or you know, he was occupied trying to undermine a dangerous cult.
That's not what his obsession with being popular was. His obsession with being popular resulted in him doing things like trying to mingle with the common folk and write self-deprecating plays about himself to try and get on their good side, but it had the opposite effect, where people thought he was embarrassing himself

What did he even do? I heard he passed some reforms but no one ever mentions what.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GERMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

A U R E L I A N

PRAISE THE UNCONQUERED SUN

Except he wasn't a pedophile to begin with.

>>this post
The "one true faith" is fucking dead dude. And it only became dominant in the first place by a mix of luck, subversion of competing faiths and mass murder of those who didn't want to play along with said subversion.

Oh and the old roman religion is being practiced again and there's nothing you can do about it.

>ywn fuck elagabalus in his tight boypussy while he's dressed like a woman

Where there any Emporers that wanted to/attempt to restore the Republic?

Julian is the closest to that.

Wouldnt touch that Michael Cera looking motherfucker with a ten foot pole

I suggest Julius Nepos, the last Roman Emperor of the West. His legacy as the last Western Roman Emperor is most often brushed aside, in favor of the young Romulus Augustulus.

The first leader ever to recognize the malevolence of the eternal Teuton.

Claudius wasn't too bad.

Not that I can think of off the top of my head. There were occasional emperors who tried to give more power to the Senate, but none who advocated for abdication or something like that.
Keep in mind, an emperor trying to restore the Republic is like a butcher going vegan and trying to shut down the meat industry.

Severus Alexander. Dude tried his best and wasn't a disaster despite being only 13 when he became emperor. Just not being terrible after taking control so young deserves a ton of credit

Senate should have had more power and the entire system should have been reformed and expanded. Senators should have been taken from every single province and it should have reprsented the entire empire.

im literally more roman than the LARPers in the """old roman religion""", i go to mass in latin, lmfao, go to reddit nu-atheist

Geta is so underrated that nobody ever talks about him.

i do not think this is true

did he even have an opportunity to do anything?

not that I can remember, but at least he wasn't a raging dickhead like his brother. Not to mention people actually liked him.

as far as i know, there is no reason to think he wasn't also a raging dickhead. i suspect that people liked geta more than caracalla because geta was more receptive to allowing others to have power over him and the empire whereas caracalla was more individualistic and against others having any power over him or the empire.

>Caligula did nothing wrong
Announcing plans to build a colossal statue of himself in the Jerusalem temple was a pointless provocation to an already delicate situation. Rome gained absolutely nothing from it.

People also loved Caligula and they were very sad when he died

That was based.

polytheists are great. They recognize foreign gods. The blame lies upon jews for being intolerant and sperging out

Unless you are Mel Gibson, nobody goes to a Latin mass.

Vatican II ring any bells?

Yes, but what reason do you have to believe that Geta was as seditious and hot-tempered as his brother?

Latin Mass is literally the only time my local chapel is anywhere even close to being full up

And yet odds are that you don't speak a word of classical latin, but rather the butchery of the old language used by medieval churches.

PS: Your faith is still dead and calling modern polytheists larpers in between your thrice-daily jackoff sessions to assorted /d/ material will not revive that faith. Christendom is dead and it's not coming back.

Yeah, with the elderly.

Severus Alexander's fatal flaw was that he was a limp wrist pussy who sat on his hands and totally and completely failed to capitalize on the chaos of the fall of the Parthians, and did nothing while they reorganized into the far more dangerous Sassanid Empire.

Fucker was in his 20's when it happened so no excuses for his age. He deserved to die cowering in a tent with his mommy.

anybody knows what this statue is called?

It's called the Hermann monument, located in the Teutoburger Wald in Lippe, Germany
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermannsdenkmal

and patrician tastes in quotes, my dude. 10/10 the soul was stirred

Majorian. He single-handedly was saving the West by beating up Franks, Burgundians, Visigoths, reforming law and finances, trying to restore the Senate as an administrative body to help govern properly and overall rebuild empire in the last possible moment before it went to shit.

Everyone praises Aetius, but Majorian was the real hero that had to wait for the former to be killed by Valentinian. Aetius knew Majorian was a pretty ambitious and skilled guy and he got so worried that he blocked Majorian's marriage to Placidia, who was the sister of Honoria, (yes, the one that called on Attila).

Alas, he was murdered four years into his rule by jealous Ricimer who conspired to rule the Empire from behind the throne and Majorian was too strong for that. Had he survived and lived for longer, the West might not have collapsed so quickly and maybe even not at all.

Not really ok but it wasn’t really a punishable offense ether.

Augustus also was called Julius Caesar on documents so it’s hard to say which were Caesars reforms and which were Augustus.

>10/10 the soul was stirred
8/10 thing to say

Only that he was very competitive with his brother and may have shared some of the same vices. My guess is that he actually was not very seditious, as he was well-liked and strove to be well-liked, though he may have been hot-tempered, on account of his competitive spirit, though I doubt he was nearly as hot-tempered.

I think that a lot of Caracalla's behaviour, especially after Geta's death, was the result of a conflict between extreme narcissism and unbearable remorse and fear of divine retribution. I think that Caracalla was consumed by a complex mix of extreme self-hatred and extreme self-love and was basically just very self-centred and blind to the world which resulted in him constantly lashing out against the world while simultaneously constantly begging the gods for forgiveness.

wrong, my parish has latin mass and there are many young families and children. we are fully in communion with rome, no SSPX faggotry here. I'm also planning on visiting a byzantine liturgy soon.
PS ecclesiastical latin is literally the same as classical latin but with expanded vocabulary and italian pronunciation. i can read some classical. christendom will never die as long as we believe and live - paganism is truly dead.

>>muh parish
Is statistically irrelevant compared to the broader trend.
>>ecclesiastical latin is literally the same as classical latin
Lies and bullshit.
>>christendom will never die as long as we believe and live
Nice internal propaganda, meanwhile in reality your religion's influence over the world is fading fast.
>>polytheism is dead.
Nope. The number of adherents of polytheist faiths in the west is growing as the number of christians in the west shrinks.

>tfw sun worship would be perfect for us now that we're about to start conquering the stars

Sun cults are 100% the religion of the space exploring civilizations out there, if there are any.

I dunno man, if you have interstellar travel and know a lot about how stars work I really can't see how you would worship them as deities.

the left cant meme

>stars give off light
>light allows life
>ergo stars are divine

Elagabalus, obviously. He was 1800 years ahead of his time.
He would be very popular with the main stream media today.

Yeah, but we know why stars do that, they're basically gigantic nuclear furnaces. We know that they aren't conscious living things with wills of their own.

Except Severus went on and on about how Aurelius was a fool for not recognizing Commodus for what he was and killing him while he had the chance, only to himself leave the empire to fucking Caracella and Geta. Even ignoring the idiocy of trying to leave the empire to two brothers and somehow not predicting a bloody power struggle, they were drunken fools who cared more about what color won the chariot races than the fortunes of Rome.