Anyone here deadlift 500+?

if so what has contributed the most to getting a strong dead

>if so what has contributed the most to getting a strong dead
doing more heavy deads

>what has contributed the most to getting a strong dead

doing sets of high weight + low rep deadlifts and eating in a caloric excess while making sure i get enough protein

That and deficit deadlifts to help with the 1st stage and rack pulls to help with the 2nd stage

I pulled 550 @219

It just takes years to achieve

getting over my ego and training with straps

SS/Rippletits may be a meme to some but he has an effective method for accomplishing this.

SS + 12-18 months of training

Been struggling with 455 deads for over 4 months now @ 160lb bodyweight. Unless I lift sumo I cannot for the life of me overcome this stall. No straps, only use a little chalk. I don't know what to do, I'm still gaining weight (somewhat slowly, clean bulk) and my other lifts including squats are still increasing.

Starting to get annoyed honestly. Tried switching up my deadlifts and increasing volume, and my other lifts are still gaining so I don't want to change programs just for deadlifts.

Weird Midwesterner detected

That wasn't me but his stuff sure is similar to mine.

Where do you fail at?

i...is 470 strong?

Under no circumstances is that 5pl8, so no.

>Unless I lift sumo
>sumo

nope, doesn't count. sorry faggot. find a spine and sack up or stick to bitch machines.

it's more than 5pl8s if i use all 10kgs :^)

Hahahaha, I'm not him but fuck you're a weak bitch if you get this triggered about sumo.

try lowering the weight and work your way back up

If I add 2.5lb plates I can still pull 460, but literally going to 465 my back curves and form starts failing. Mostly in my head that if I go up I'll fail. I can't lift anything over 465 off the ground, I'll get 465 less than half way and have to drop it.
I've deloaded and reloaded to 455 twice, taken rest weeks, increased volume on reloads, switched to more reps/less mass (hitting 405 for 3 for example)... Nothing seems to work. I cannot increase my strength from this point on for deadlifts no matter what I try. I'm thinking of removing them entirely or attempting to maintain 455 and just focusing on rows and other shit for a while, it's getting exhausting.

Your squats are still increasing so don't despair just yet. Plateau on squat and then focus on deadlifts and deadlift assistance exercises.

Stuck in the mid-4s for like a year. Got my poverty squat up and started doing weighted chins. DL improved rapidly.

Torso is long as shit and deadlifts feel liek shit no matter what i do.

fuck this shit fuck, squats feel great but fuck deadlifts. Been training for a year (Strength training since june) and the most i've done is 275x5

Dumb question:
Does 1/2/3/4 mean 1 RM or for reps of 3-5??

dude 455 deads at 160 bw is insanely strong youll probably only be able to progress by eating more

lol
525 at 182.
Doesn't take years op, just good training regimen/diet/genetics

magnusson ortmayer deadlift program

people usually refer to that as a strength base on four different compound lifts, generally 1pl8 OHP, 2pl8 bench, 3pl8 squat, and 4pl8 Deadlift

also I pulled that raw and my previous pr was 455
one more thing to add that nobody else had said , even if you're on a program but go into the session feeling stronger than ever, like way stronger than ever and you know you could PR you better fucking go for that PR because there's no telling if you're going to have that same feeling on the scheduled 1 rep max day

I went from not being able to pick 345 off the ground to breaking 4pl8 after repping 3 for months from training my hammies.

Thrall has a video about it that helped. I haven't hit 500 but that was a HUGE plateau for me. Basically my hams were weak and I had to RDL/leg curl get get my DL up. In a month I went from not being able to start 345 to repping 365.

Working on hitting singles instead of 3-5s helped as well. Just ramping up singles and hitting a hard work set every time I thought I could only do 1-2.

Begin rack pulls to get use to heavier loads and to lock out. Might want to increase weight on bent rows as well.

Yeah, I know that much. I'm wondering if it means lifting those numbers of plates for a 1 rep max or for reps. Like I can hit 2pl8 bench for 1 rep but my 5 rep is more like 1pl8+30 lb

I believe it can be used either way, just as long as you can hit those numbers.

Still don't have a strong dead, but I'm getting there, and increasing my volume in deadlifting has helped me a lot. Rippetoe says you ought to do one set of heavy deadlifts a week, but that never gave me many results as a novice lifter. Now that I'm moving towards more of an intermediate level, I've started doing 4x5 deadlifts like any other lift and it's working out really well all things considered. I feel like I as a person needed to get used to lifting heavy shit more than my body did, and increasing deadlift volume did exactly that for me, whereas a single set never let me properly get accustomed to the weight that I was lifting. Any thoughts on this? I feel as though, as I eventually move towards bigger PRs, I'll have to decrease my deadlifting volume to allow for more intensity, but so far 4x5 has worked out very well for me.

This happens with me all the time, whether is be deads, squats, ohp or bench.

I'll increase a significant amount and then it just drops and I can't for the life of me use the same weight again and I'll have to deload

your volume is too high weekly, perhaps daily.

what are your big 3 right now and bodyweight?

Thread

73kg

squat= 2.75pl
bench= 2 pl
dead= 3and somepl

You're not resting enough. The accumulation of workouts compounds and after a while your body can't keep up and begins regressing. It's the reason for deloads so your body can recover enough to continue.

damn, i'm bitchmade

Time brother

Freshman year of college I pulled my back lifting 225 with the faggy hex bar. 5 years later and I just tugged up 445 4x5.

There's months where you deadlift twice a week and eat right and your strength goes up minimally. But then you go in one day after a rest or a big meal and blast a new PR by 30 pounds.

Learn the form early and avoid surgery like me.

you are an intermediate-advanced lifter and aren't programming accordingly. the cycles get longer the further you go, you aren't doing medium/low load programming. you need to rest more and do maintenance in between.

read practical programming, make sure you are eating/sleeping right, and figure out a good program for you. 531 might be your jam but I don't have a lot of info to go on.

No, this is normal. Welcome to not being a dyel.

>tfw chad warms up with 12 reps of my max

I deadlifted 440 at 185. Later I took a trip to snap city doing 350 for reps and don't deadlift anymore.

I believe it was mainly caused by lack of core strength and shitty posture. I fell for the you don't need to train abs if you are squatting and deadlifting.

This is not technically answering your question, but I highly recommend doing core and mobility work and making sure you don't have any issues with your posture.

Take a break, dude.

I plateau'd at 450 for deadlifts for a while, and every back day would go right back to try 455. Nothing ever happened. After I took 2 weeks off of deadlifting, just working on legs/rows, got up to 505 within a month. Stalled again. Rinse and repeat.

People need to do ab work if they're deadlifting heavy. You'll start to get phantom lower back pain on deadlift days because your abs are weak. Learning to do L sits is a great ab workout.

your problem was bracing incorrectly and/or shit form.

if you don't deadlift, you don't lift.

This, the fuck is up with people who lived smack dab in the middle of their country and deadlifting heavy things?

I also noticed this pattern while i was studying in canada, russia AND US.

All the monster deadlifters i know are those weird middle americans, flannel wearing prairie canadians and hairy uberslavs who lived in huts

just hit 5pl8 like a week ago. Heavy singles helped the most imo.
my dl day would usually be 5-10 singles at 80-90% then some rows and shrugs.
If I feel like shit from my last workout I'd sometimes replace the singles with deficit deads for 3 sets of 5-8 reps with a much lighter weight

I also alternate stiff leg deads and good morning on my squat day and those help my dl as well

What would the Pendlay row equivalent of 1/2/3/4 be? I'm at 190x10 at the moment and I weigh about 185.

They're in the center where gravity is strongest. It's basically a small scale hyberbolic time chamber. So when they leave their backcountry bizarro lands they excel beyond normal humans.

No equivalent. Pendlays are not apart of the 4 compounds that anybody gives a shit about. Nonetheless, 190x10 @185 isn't bad but you should really be diddlying too.

Does it really matter? There's no Veeky Forums committee that sits around and discusses these things, and everyone on this site is far too argumentative to reach a consensus on a question like that anyway, so just pick whichever you want it to mean.

I do, I'm nearly at 3pl8. I was just wondering if there was some kinda way to know what a "respectable" Pendlay row would be.

switch off of conventional and start building up sumo and sldl for a couple months. then come back to it

when someone asks how much you bench they're expecting your 1rm

you should assume this unless stated otherwise

What's faggy about the hex bar? And how did you pull your back?

Pretty sure in general Pendlay rows are supposed to be at or slightly above bench numbers so just go by that.

i stopped deadlifting for a year but kept high bar squatting and barbell rowing and was able to pull 4pl8 when my previous max was 365. that was a while ago and since then i deadlift when i feel like it and ive pulled 515 a couple weeks ago. maybe its my frame and leverages but ive always kept up the barbell rows and high bar squats

hmm yeah that makes sense

Similar with me.
I do cleans, front squats, leg curls, sled pushes, and rack pulls.
Didn't deadlift for a year and tested myself just to see how I was doing and went from a 1x400lb max to a 3x410 max.

I'm really wondering if the amount of eccentric stress and low volume in the deadlift makes it impossible to recover from for lifters with bad sleep or diet.

I was afraid of that, bulking is hard, right now I'm trying to get to 180. I've been 5'8 160 for a good 6 months, I've just started a more heavy-bulk today to see if I can actually continue gaining weight properly.

Been lifting for 4 years. I'm slowly starting to plateau, I think deadlifts have just been first. I might add another 5-10% on squats and bench but my gains have slowed down a shitload in the past year. Strongly debating pinning for a cycle just so I can say I pulled 5 plates in my youth.

Can't increase weight on rows, I hit my plateau a while ago.

I had troubles with the lower part of the deadlift, so i added some additional hamstring training and it helped immensly.

>deadlifting 315
>tfw everyone here deadlifts 500+

how

estatting

yeah there's probably some people e-statting here, i've only seen one person deadlifting 4 plates

not many people post about their mediocre stats because no one really cares about how people train to get average lifts
also you should try and find a better gym

>you should try and find a better gym
Why should I?

People lifting heavy don't really change my workout and I have all I need

as a lanklet with decent diddly leverages
i can sure as fuck say bent over rows help with lockouts due upper back not rounding to all fuck making lockout impossible

second
setup

third
mindset

t. 420 diddly after 10months of lifting

Squatting more, rowing more, doing way more pull ups, and never actually deadlifting. The most I do is snatch grip deficit deadlifts on lower body days.

Pendlay rows are your best friend.

Highest I've seen in my gym which consists mostly of people (parents) in their 30s was someone around 20 diddlying mid 300s with straps a belt and sleeves

I'm at 3pl8 myself

isnt 3pl8s the same as mid 300lbs?

as a member of the 600+ club, here's what i think about training deads:
1. make sure you have a friend who knows what they're doing watch/film your form and get that on track first
2. get some long socks
3. get some chalk
4. squat monday and dead friday
5. on your squat day throw in some lunges/good mornings
6. eat a lot
7. sleep a lot
8. don't overdo it -- if you feel like your joints are stiff and weary, just lower the weight
9. otherwise, work your way up to a heavy triple and bang that out for a few sets
10. repeat for a while
11. DON'T GET INJURED -- SEE POINT 1 AND 8
the end

just have really long arms lmao

A guy in my highschool (a manlet [5'6"]) candeadlift 5 plates. He is 18 and weighs as much as me 180 lb, but I'm at 5'11". Now I'm not jealous or anything because I train for my self but I'm very curious about Veeky Forumss opinion. He said he trained for 2 years. Can it be possible to achieve such stats. He doesn't look ripped but he looks buffed like a delicious meatball. Are steroids possible at such bodyweight

I'd say is very possible if he has been lifting for 2 years

600 lb or kg club

hey bby congrats on your lift, now congratulate me I made anatomically correct mock ups of what I will look like after I get my underbite fixed, u mirin?

literally no one cares about you

can i join comepetition just to deadlift

i literally do not care about squats or bench due to my 6'7 wingspan at 6'2 height

495 3 repper here
i squat the day before i deadlift, then do all my hamstring shit on dead day. Also my grip from supinated to hook helped

595 (270 kg).
Made good progress with deficit and pause deadlifts.

Bogpilled

3pl8 = 315 lbs

545 lbs.

Harbinger Lifting Grips (basically straps). I never would have been able to do it with a mixed grip.

no he doesn't
what really helped me was dropping all the Rippetoe garbage programming and doing more deadlift volume

your body is not made of glass, you can survive and recover from multiple heavy sets of deadlift a week and it makes a huge difference in progression

Do lots of hamstring work (RDLs are GOAT) and keep hammering away at the squats.

>600 kg club

This

I can get 500 for 4 reps on a good day and my 1 rep PR is 530. No straps wraps or belt. Have always been stronger on deads than other exercises so I do them a lot, and I eat like a champ.

Manual labor / farm strength is real.

Something about socks pulled up that high get my lady bits tingling

why aren't boots for men a thing anymore

Then pull sumo you fucking goy

squatting
The less I deadlift the more my deadlift rises. Squats are much easier to recover from and it carries over to the deadlift a lot so just focus on getting your squat numbers up while deadlifting once every other week.

Is it that hard to believe that across the entirety of Veeky Forums a few people have decent numbers? I mean 500 is not even special at a PL meet unless you're like 74kg or below.

Depends

At the last comp I was at, there were only 2 pulls in the Masters classes above 550, and both of those were shw pulling 600-700. Then again, we barely have a PL/BB/CF community here.

I only got one good DL because I cramped hard in a hammie I've fucked up before. I'm still aiming for 650+; at my age and weight that'll be tough to beat

I have a question about DLs, are you supposed to drop the weight on every rep or lower it controlled?
I see most people just drop it while I always lower it controlled, but I feel like I could do a lot more weight if I just dropped it probably

I didn't notice it was a gif at first. Then I keked audibly. Don't be so insecure about that underbite though. If anything, go visit Michael Jackson's doctor.

I've pulled 262.5 kg @ 85 bw
I'd say technique is #1, making sure lats are tied in, back is as flat as possible, and the hamstrings take most of the first part of the movement (to the knee), then a heavy glute contraction to lockout.
RDLs and stiff-leg deadlifts are the best way to learn this movement pattern. I'd say regular deadlifts are actually pretty shitty unless you already have technique perfect.
I also liked working with higher rep ranges.
Most days i'd do 180 for 4x10 or a top set such as 200x12 (all touch and go).

Easily achievable in first six months of lifting
Lol 545@ 169 ...get on my level

Honestly you guys aren't going to like this answer but a person with average genetics (and that isn't an underweight emaciated moron) can easily pull 500 within 12 months of training. It's honestly a baseline, it's not a number anyone should strive for.