How were railguns used?

How were railguns used?
Were they put on armored trains or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

railway guns

Railguns were primarily used against fortifications, which is where they really shined. Railguns were most relevant in WW1, when the German army used them to quickly destroy a huge ring of Belgian forts when they were passing through Belgium into France. For example, look at this, Big Bertha. She weighed over 45 tons and had to be transported by railroad in 5 separate pieces. She fired a super-heavy 420mm projectile with a time-delayed fuse, enabling her to penetrate 12 meters of concrete with a single shot from several miles away. Bertha was triggered electronically because the crew had be a least 300 meters away the muzzle during firing, otherwise their ears would be destroyed by the sound of firing.

railway/road guns

What armored train moved it?

>Bertha was triggered electronically because the crew had be a least 300 meters away the muzzle during firing, otherwise their ears would be destroyed by the sound of firing.

Did it ever occur to them to just wear ear protection?

Also armored train thread

They packed their ears with cotton, it was still too loud for them to stand next to the gun while firing.

>tfw this was a real thing that Germans actually shot Paris with

If we still built things like this I would have majored in mechanical engineering

Going somewhere Hans? Oops, looks like you forgot to camouflage your gun.

>the shell was the first thing humans launched into the stratosphere
>had to account for the rotation of the earth in their firing calculations
Fuck WW1 technology was amazing

Well actually they were put on walking mechas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Bull

they had to build railroads wherever they wanted it. Hence why it was barely used.

>just want to make cool guns
>get ganked by israel
why are israelites such fucking faggots

That one in particular was used for such grandiose missions as firing at an ammunition dump in the Crimea because it was so inaccurate it couldn't hit the forts reliably, and it's still debated whether it ever managed to hit the dump either

>Sun Tzu says to get surrounded so troops fight harder
>Israelites try it and corner up in a plateau
>Romans surround them, tell them to surrender or fuck off, it's Roman land now
>everyone commits assisted suicide, from the elderly to the babies
I don't know user. I really don't know.

Unfortunately for them the American mechs were far stronger

Armoured train on the 15 inch (381mm) gauge tourist railway in WW2.

They were bombed lulz

oh god I wish that were real.

This train was used to transport Leon Trotsky, aka Public Enemy #1 to the Whites, during the Russian Civil War. It went to every front that had the most intense fighting and carried a battalion of elite snipers in chad all red Russian uniforms. It also had several planes inside, a newspaper print, and an auto carriage.