Okay, Veeky Forums. I thought I had this shit figured out...

Okay, Veeky Forums. I thought I had this shit figured out. I'm visiting New York City and thought that since I do IF now and only eat two meals (small first meal, big second meal) I wouldn't have a problem with not blowing my diet. But it's so. Fucking. Impossible to eat out and not fuck up. Everything is cooked in oil, loaded with carbs, and made to be delicious, not healthy. Plus, there's no actual way to know the nutritional content of the food at a restaurant that isn't a chain. Just exactly what the fuck is someone supposed to do if they're not preparing their own meals? Am I supposed to bring a slow cooker and make chicken in my hotel room? Why does it have to be impossible to travel and enjoy yourself and stay fit at the same time?

Honestly if you're really strict with your diet usually I doubt a week or two of eating out will do much. I would just avoid soda and sugary shit.
I'm not a nutrionist or anything so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

That's the problem, though. I don't just want to enjoy myself for a week or two out of 52. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and we have great places like pic related and I'm tired of shrugging off opportunities to go out because I can't be conscious of what I'm eating/drinking.

Bump

man I really wouldn't sweat it, whatever makes you happy. I never say no when my dad insists we go to a restaurant (not even fast food), I go just for the hell of spending time with him. as long as it's not a long term daily habit, it won't be a gains goblin. hit up a grocery store if it really bugs otherwise.

Especially paired with beer, it's tough being fit in that state. Summerfest and State Fair were like a fat parade and it's getting worse every year.

>and made to be delicious, not healthy
Why do you conflate food being delicious with it not being healthy. It can definitely be both.
>Why does it have to be impossible to travel and enjoy yourself and stay fit at the same time?
It's not and your limiting yourself believing you can't do both. Being overly concerned about this or stressing yourself out is more unhealthy for you than anything your likely to eat.

>Fried foods are delicious
>Fried foods are healthy

Order a salad you moron

How long are you staying there? Just enjoy your visit and continue with your usual eating habit when you get back.

Doing it wrong OP.

Vacation more dieting isn't about not eating unhealthy foods, it's about eating them at portion controlled sizes so you're only getting a few hundred calories instead of thousands. You can still eat the deliciously shitty food you just need to pace yourself and not over indulge.

I'm vacationing next week and have no intention of flying off my diet. But I do have an intention to ease up a bit to have a good time. It takes weeks of bad eating for you to loose your gains, it's not going to happen overnight.

two fucking weeks out of 52 in the years isn't going to destroy your fucking life.

A study done testing weight gain in those without metabolic syndrome showed that participants fed an extra 1,000 calories a day for a month gained ~5lbs. After the prescribed dietary changes were eliminated the participants returned to their prior eating and dietary habits without direction and lost the extra weight within 8 weeks.

In other words: YOURE ON FUCKING VACATION. Fucking pig out, eat a shit ton of pizza and fries and stop giving a fuck and relax for a change.

New York is a big city isn't it. I'm sure they have a bunch of healthy hipster places to eat.

>In other words: YOURE ON FUCKING VACATION. Fucking pig out, eat a shit ton of pizza and fries and stop giving a fuck and relax for a change.
this

I used to go there every year in september to visit an online friend. (a survivor)

He was a shitty vegetarian and we'd eat out every day twice a day. We always went somewhere new that had good vegetarian options. and ALL were always very healthy places to eat.

It's been 3 years since I went, but there was this vegan restaurant over by the gay area. It was in the basement of one of the buildings, below street level. has green railings and a teak colored stained wood entranceway. I can't for the life of me remember where it is or what it's name was.

I ordered the Spaghetti and Wheat Balls. Oh my god it was fucking spectacular. I wish I could remember the place because I'm going back this september.

Did you miss the other point? What about when I'm not on vacation and my friends want to go to a cool restaurant, or I want to take a girl out? Are my only options really to order a salad or harass the waiter with special requests?

eat a salad or 120cal integral cookies as 1st meal, then a crazy meal later. be a man and be confident in your guessed ballpark. if you have done your work, you can guess anything within 200cal. less if you don't use sauce.

BRO!
Huge opportunity if you haven't already figured it out...
DUMPSTER DIVING
Litterally just go behind a typical qrocery store "whole foods" "market 32" "trader Joes" and you can find perfectly good food, I don't understand why homeless people don't take advantage of this, it's so fucking easy to eat nowadays

Not what I said, and not every restaurant he'll go to will serve just fried food. He can have plenty of options for delicious and quality food

Just pick the more reasonable shit while you're on vacation and return to strict control when you're home.

New Yorkers aren't ham beasts because 95% of them don't own cars

The fucking point of taking your girlfriend out somewhere to eat is to... oh I dunno, GO SOMEWHERE NICE?

You know, like a nice little italian or french joint that's atmospheric and has nice food.

Not some fucking whole in the wall that thinks everything including dessert needs to be deep fried.

>out with friends
Then get yourself whatever is healthiest on the menu where they choose to eat. If that's a chicken ceasar salad, then get the fucking salad. If the healthiest option is a burger and fries then ask for a burger with steamed veggies instead of fries.

You know, like everyone else who wants to make healthy life choices when they're out in public.

> He doesn't eat based paleo with clear cut, simple guidelines you can adhere to anywhere

Just eyeball and go for a run before not that fucking hard

I had the same issues once and were extremly concious about eating out, so im going to help you:
IIFYM is real. Its not a meme. You can go out and eat whatever you want and you wont fuck up your gains or gain fat, as long as you hit your macros (meaning mainly calories and protein). The only reasons people who eat fastfood end up fat so often, is that its so easy to overeat on fastfood. If you avoid that, youre are fine.
Fastfood is still unhealthy tho, so try to not eat shitty stuff too often and try to order something (semi-)healthy from time to time. But from a body composition point, it really doesnt matter.

Look at my picture. The middle was me after i finished bulking. On this bulk i only ate super "clean" and "cheated" once a week. I still ended up fat, because i ate too much over my tdee. The 3rd picture is me after my cut. While cutting i ate fastfood almsot every day. I ate fucking kebab and icecream. I only stopped eating that shit at the end of my cut, because i got hungrier from day to day and needed food that is more filling.

Believe me, i was a complete autist about my diet until i learned that its actually really simple. I still eat clean today most of the time, but only because of health, mental fitness and energy. Not because of body composition.