Found this on normiebook

Found this on normiebook.
Call me retarded for asking but is this real or not?
Googled it and articles say it's true.

Is this accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

coolsculpting.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryolipolysis
youtu.be/_Q2F3REG3zk
wired.com/2013/02/ff-cold-weight-loss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The higher the difference in temperature the greater the rate of heat transfer and thus calories burned. So yes, it is technically true. I don't know about the shivering claim but I imagine that can't be all that great for the body.

>Being cold burns more calories
NO SHIT.
I'll tell you this one trick, dietologists hate me: the termic conductivity of the medium makes a huge difference. Go swimming in even semi-cold water, you'll burn a ton of calories just to keep your temperature up.
Then you'll be hungry as fuck, and will eat all you've burned.

Thanks. This was the image that came with the original post.

I don't know shit about the human body so I didn't know that. This wasn't even taught at my school.

Yeah, no shit. Your body needs to maintain a certain core temperature and a certain temperature in all tissues to keep the cells from dying. The colder the surroundings the harder your body is working to keep itself warm. I would imagine things like how warm you keep your house could have significant effects on tdee. You could theoretically freeze the fat away.

I don't think it would work as spot treatment though.

Fat freezing is a real thing. I guess it semiworks.

coolsculpting.com/

Ignore all these mom scientists, unless you're a baby with ton's of brown adipose tissue. Cooling yourself down with ice does not burn calories, it just restrics bloodflow to skin extremeties, stops sweating and if cold enough causes you to shiver (to be fair shivering causes calories to be burned but not nearly what the article claims). Normally your body uses a small amount of energy to cool down, its not actively using energy to warm up. You hear people say "drink cold water only you burn x calories by warming it up" but unless you already have hypothermia it just means your body will try less hard to cool down

And it's not something you're doing at home.

OP's image is women's supermarket checkout line tabloid-tier, aka Dr. Oz shit

So do I lose extra calories if I shower with cold water?

>one day decide to swim fucking far away from the beach to like 100M deep
>it's cold as fuck(the water)
>my heart starts beating really hard and it's all I'm feeling
>start feeling weird, not sure if just a panic attack or something else
>swim back

scary shit

uberfacts and the other fact pages just spew lies out of their asses to keep up the reach. i suppose this "fact" originated from a cryofat treatment or some shit where you basically freeze the fat off but with actual medical equipment

Technically yes, but coolsculpting is a real medical procedure and you can't do that at home.

The effects of taking a cold shower are there but, maybe worth about 20 calories.

Calories probably yes, even kilocalories. If you consume around 3000 kcal a day and burn 2 of them by taking a cold shower, the answer is yes.

True but impractical

it might work to some degree but its more or less a gimmick. just eat less fatty

So cold shower b4 or after workout?

Guys, I just bought a sip - monster energy ultra. It says it's sugar free and there's essentially no carbs, but can the artificial sweeteners impact blood sugar? I'm really prone to acne with high gi stuff.

Tl;dr monster enegy ultra high gi or not?

Similar story
>summer in Panama City
>15
>swim way out past sand bar with my goggles
>go under multiple times, try touching the bottom
>go down way too far, just barely make it to the surface to catch my breath
>look back, people are doing something weird
>attempt to swim back, getting pushed out more
>can't hear them at some point, already swept out well past 1000 yards
>attempting to swim back, getting pushed out way faster than I can swim
>panicking I just float on my back and close my eyes
>about 15 minutes later a jetski with a lifeguard finds me
>carries me back to shore

I was legit starting to accept I might die that day. I couldn't even make out objects on the beach at one point.

After. But it's great for spiking energy before one too.

Not trying to be weird but was the lifeguard hot? Like, a chick?

It's called exercise you fat shit.

Rip tide.
Don't swim out in the ocean unless you know how to get out if one

You deserved to die

You deserve to die for being a condescending cunt

and that wasnt even a (you)

Read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryolipolysis

youtu.be/_Q2F3REG3zk

kek'd

I miss him bros.

Male, but he was relatively attractive.
Nobody deserves to die for something so benign.

While we are talking about odd ways to burn calories, what about donating blood? I imagine the body would use a lot of energy creating new blood, so could regularly donating have any benefit?

all these iliterates itt and itb
the theory is that at low temps fats freeze and crystals as you should know trigger cell apoptosys
and no it doesn't work

>these are the people you take fitness advice from

lmao

putting a cold pack on you probably makes you expend an extra 2 calories to maintain temperature. normies will find any excuse to do anything but exercise and diet to lose weight.

unless lowering the temperature of adipose tissue somehow makes it more likely than temperature tissue to be converted to energy? i really don't think thats the case

Deep bodies of water is my biggest fear. I can barely play vidya with deep water levels, I seriously start to sweat and my heartbeat is out of control.

During

What about inducing a seizure? Surely contracting every single muscle in your body without rest would be a pretty good way of burning calories.

how do i give myself a siezure ? is there any drugs i can take

This.
Medfag here, extreme temperatures can have useful effects for athletes but not precisely because "burns calories". For the regular folk like it's just stupid.

According to researchers, you burn as much calories from shivering (but I'd imagine it includes the energy required for the increased heart rate and respiratory rhythm) as you would from laughing. 30ish cals per 10-15 minutes.

>old school 3d platformers where a giant fish eats you if you go to far out in the water

Research "CoolSculpting"

wim hof talks about ideas similar to this. being cold makes your body work harder to stay warm.

No dude, the way "science" works for the media (say buzzfeed and vice and all that crap) is some small research that hints x correlation between chocolate and fat loss is published and they take it as if it were the ULTIMATE TRUTH. Remember coconut oil? FFS I remember radium products left and right, radium toothpaste!!

watched my friend get stuck swimming in a rip one time, 10minutes not moving an inch

i was laughing my head off

>something so benign.
>life or death safety knowledge

Don't be ridiculous, user. You'd get the same result much more efficiently by just electrocuting yourself.

>an hour of exercise

fapping counts as exercise though i dont think i burn more than 50 calories so this is shit

I'm guessing you never beat the water temple in OoT.

So do you have any foods that are filling that wouldnt make me regain it all

solid post

jolly roger bay in mario 64 scared me

cool your friend's life being in danger made you laugh so cool and edgy bro

Tell me about Wim Hof, though, and his extreme amounts of brown adipose. Does he burn an insane amount of calories while he's in the ice for over an hour? Does his body just work harder to create more brown adipose afterwards when he eats again (which would be good, but contrary to trying to lose bodyfat from it)? I'm just curious about him and body reactions to cold temperatures in general.

>He doesn't drag the squat rack into the shower for peak efficiency

I shigg

AY YO HOL UP.

so are you saying i can get rid of my chubby cheeks by strapping ice packs to my face every day? or am i retarded?

I'm not that bad, yet I share your fear.
And that of flying.

Ironically, today I am going sailing, which is a great passion of mine. But the fear of deep waters is always there.

It only works if you salt the area first.

>chocolate and fat loss is published and they take it as if it were the ULTIMATE TRUTH.
Frankly I can confirm this... But only as far as extra dark chocolate is concerned

>be me
>forced to do a FODMAP diet
>diet is researched by universities and solves my issue (I had started to take a shit 7 times a day)
>because of that, I start looking into basic nutrition
>realise my habits are nowhere near the suggested thresholds
>I change my habits
That's the big fix.
>I realise fats are not necessarily my enemies
>tfw I have almost met my daily macro count
>tfw I just need 60 cal of fats
>tfw a square of 85% dark choc with no milk in it will do
That's the tiny fix. I don't know what I'd do without chocolate... Maybe eat some macadamia?

Aw yeah. For me, chocolate is the icing on the dieting cake. =)

>Rip Tide
>The only way to escape it is with mighty hip drive

i live in australia he was never in danger

he's not a fat nigger/mexican

Hey I know that butt

>that visual

The way you get out of rips is to swim perpendicular to it right?

If you tread water, the current will often take you back closer to the beach.

actually it's from Tim Feriss who makes a living out of publishing life hacks after testing them. He started off by spending an hour in a freezing tub every day and eventually settled for the very cold ice pack to the back of the neck, enough to shiver, for an hour or so.

Actually, it was a NASA scientist, Ray Cronies, who did a lot of the research on this. There is definitely something there. wired.com/2013/02/ff-cold-weight-loss/

Either perpendicular or at a 45 degree angle back towards shore.

I don't think you really need to tldr a two-line text.

>soccer mom health tips

Don't forget to rub oatmeal on your face and pray to the she-wolf

>45 degree angle

Mark Rippetide is not impressed by your half-swims

When I was losing weight I would go for runs in the winter in the middle of the night
maybe this helped somewhat cause holy shit did i lose weight fast

When I wrestled in high school sleeping naked with a fan on and no covers was a good way to lose water weight. Your body shivers all night and you lose weight. It definitely works but it's not magic it's just water weight. If you need to lose 5 pnds fast go for it but it's not fat.

wait so spot reduction ISN'T a myth?

>jump from pier onto water
>about 150m away from beach
>swim towards beach
>fuck this is really hard
>not a swimmer but give it my all
>get to the beach and throw up
>life guards come and make me lie in the shade while they do blood tests and whatnot and sign something saying if I die by going back in the water I won't sue them

this is really only designed for eliminating small deposits such a cellulite. you don't actually lose weight