Not enough recognition for the Portuguese

Despite having literally started the Discoveries and being the first intercontinental empire, Portugal is almost never spoke of when mentioning empires. For some reason, the British and Spanish always get credit for everything. Even if they were bigger empires anyone remotely connected to the space race can tell you that it was the Soviets that started the whole thing. Portugal was not only the first but also the longest.

List of Portuguese discoveries and conquered territories:
Ceuta
LITERALLY the entire coast of Africa
India
Brasil
Macau
Timor
Omuz (modern day Oman)
Cape town
Canada (New Found Land)

>Portugal is almost never spoke of when mentioning empires
Because Portugal influence nowadays is a meme.
Britain gave birth to America.
Spaniards left a legacy in most countries in South America and Spanish is still the mother tongue there.

Portugal really doesn't have anything going for it anymore. Only huehues speak Portuguese and Africans themselves prefer to learn English.

Sorry Portubro but that's the truth. You can flood the board with ebin wiki battle wars but the truth is nobody cares about Portugal.

You can see it by how nobody is ever even butthurt against them, unlike Spaniards.

Oh and I forgot to mention they lost most of their territory a long time ago.

Portugal é um país de merda e os portugueses são uma nação de merda, os bons genes morreram nas descobertas ou já emigraram, aqui só ficam os burros e os velhos.

There's 4-5 threads about Portugal a week here on his. In /int/ it is meme'd to death and on Veeky Forums there is always one Pessoa peeking out. Portugal is way overrepresented on Veeky Forums.

Because Portugal did absolutely nothing with these discoveries, appart of losing them to the dutch ofc, they started all of this, yes, but they also were absolutely irrelevant for the rest of Europe.

Ok, Michel.

because most history books consumed worldwide are anglo and of course for them the age of discoveries is seen by their lense where america is more important. Nobody knows the names of those who first had the balls to set out into the unknown and discovered most of the world, but everyone knows Columbus.
empires come and go, no need to get all butthurt about not being on the level of past glories. its still a pretty good place you ungrateful man.

Portugal is just a larger version of Galicia with delusions of grandeur. Should be part of Spain imho.

I bet you think Gibraltar should be Spanish too.

ANGOLA
È NOSSA

>entire coast of Africa
>Carthage existed and known for millennia
Because most people don’t know who Portugal is, and if they do think they’re the same as Spanish, as the Brittany of France despite a distinct cultural identity

Why is part of sea coloured blue?

I do. It's impressive for such a small country to build such a big Empire. Even the French Empire was shit imho and they were supposed to be historically way stronger. The Portuguese have the merit of sailing across the globe first and are pretty much the first Europeans to really explore Africa IIRC.

Nowadays even if Portugal is a small as fuck country his language is still among the top 10 most spoken, while Germans and Italians, who have put a greater impact on Euro culture can't say the same

t. Alberto Brazuca

Because they had control of tariffs there
Naval supremacy and all that

Why don't you see this on other empire maps?

Ironically it's probably because they where such stable long term allies of the British. The Spanish and the Dutch where always at Britain's throat so they got lots of (negative) press as a result.

Their only real colonial legacy is in Brazil and even they barely give a fug about Portugal.

>tfw massive brain drain in these last 30 years

we're not gonna make it amigos

I rather not be recognized, less hordes of third world shitheads, less obnoxious first world tourists.. Portugal is full, specially in the summer, so do kindly fuck off

>Imigrante ressabiado

Não passas de um traidor abaixo de cão

No, ur just retard, without us Brasil makes a fool of itself in international stage relations, they need us and our diplomatic bridges to europe and asia to be taken serious state wise

Why was there so much conflict between Britain, Spain and the Netherlands

Because both the Netherlands and Britain were just a bunch of pirates that wanted to take some land from Spain.

Arrr and we did a pretty fine job of it too laddy!

No, you fucking larpers became unemployed and destroyed after becoming a menace that would bite the hand that feed them

Ahaha ok

>nigger deserts
doesnt count

Racist

Became irrelevant like Spain after 1680

Spain was still relevant until at least the napoleonic invasion

Braindrain only happened since 2008, previous to that it was just construction workers that migrated, they will return tough, europe is going to go trough some bad shit and we will be amongst the only safe places

Portugal was relevant after the Napoleon invasion, we wuz in the conference of Wien, we had colonies up until the 70's and our empire only ended in 1998

Haha yes very relevant indeed, Portugal strong amirite.

There Empire wasn't nearly as big as the Spanish's Empire and wasn't particularly long lasting.

Suck my tulip, Spanjool

>kills king because muh pink map
>easily overtaken by their main colony
>best portuguese boi was pedro II

The most powerfull european country with exeption to the USSR you fucking kike

You're saying Portugal was more powerful than the peak British Empire? Grow up

>Peak British Empire
>Just lost their colonies and became a US puppet being nothing more nothing less than a domino piece in a conflit between the two superpowers of the time
>Meanwhile Portugal is independent and fights for its intrests against soviet armed opposition and western circle jerk virtue signal
You are the one who needs to grow up and move on from denial phase user, England is being invaded and now the portuguese wont come to help you

La creatura speaks!

You just want to make me cry but i know memes too

>y-you’re the mutts!
La insecura creatura

Why are you projecting sir? I dont hate you, im just sad for you

Portugal never was stronger than Britain. Only mongoloids believe they were.

They probably were in the 1400s and early 1500s

England has been losing relevance since around the 50's, countries like indonésia and other new formed nations at the time that have by far largelly surpassed the UK
The only thing they have left as a balance towards say, Índia, China.. is the international organizations they were part in forming, like NATO and UN. (i.e the Suez crisis)

How has Indonesia surpassed England?

He probably thinks more people = more power

>You are the one who needs to grow up and move on from denial phase user, England is being invaded and now the portuguese wont come to help you
Oh no what will we ever do :(

Tbh Indonesia has potential in the upcoming future to be quite strong. It's smack dab in the middle of one of the most potentially important trade routes in the world.

Índia and indonésia didn't need to ask the US to be allowed to invade foregrein land and could still do it anyway despite all the protest from international community
China didn't have to take shit from soviet union and still got awarded veto power
Meanwhile England wasnt event allowed to defend a canal they themselves built

Indonésia was also behiond forming the third world, as an association of neutrals in the cold war, rather than being usa bitch

Get raped by a pack of pakis, we could have saved you but its funnier like this

When did indonesia invade foreign lands

Invasion of Timor leste

>he says as if our prime minister ain't a fucking indian

Estado Novo fell 40 years ago, it's time to wake up user

If only they could get their shit together.

There's nothing controversial about them invading Timor because it was only to install law and order. If they did it with imperial reasons then there would have been a much stronger protest.

>timor invasion wasnt imperialism
Lmao

>Implying we are rulled from lisbon

At least the true head of state, the president, is still white

>it's true
How irrelevant is Portugal that I didn't even know this until now :DDD

I don't mean to be rude, but i know literally nothing about India whereas i know quite a bit about England

Fucking retard, portuguese made waves in protest in the 90's and it was enough to end the issue, Timor bishops won Nobel peace prizes for denoucing ethnic cleaning
Indonésia is a meme state made by dutch with 0 claim on former portuguese colonies btw

Relevance is differant from power

holy shit you're retarded

Who is the portuguese head of state, and were are we rulled from you little fucker?

You seem quite insecure desu. Who cares if he's Indian, he'll be gone in a few years anyway.

the point is we're being flooded with immigrants for the last 40 years so you trying to make fun of Britain for being cucked is retarded as we were both cucked ethnically and economically

>You seem quite insecure desu. Who cares if he's Indian, he'll be gone in a few years anyway

3 retard statements in just a sentence, i care because he isnt portuguese and is a crook, he wont be gonne little fucker has been lucky and probably will get reelected and im not insecure about myself im insecure about my country that isnt growing as much as it could like other euro countries in virtue of a left wing policy. What will we do when economy stagnates again user?

You know the quality of our immigrants user, they would move elsewhere within a heartbeat if they got bigger welfare, its the left wing indoctrinated youth im worried about, luckly europe is moving right, hopefully we will follow too

the ones moving are the high educated, which are mostly native portuguese, the africans that don't even finish highschool ain't going anywhere

Its a double edge sword for parties that discussion, we have to check one by one
For instance, angolans here are midly wealthy and inteligent since angolan elites sendo their kids here to study and buy houses, but Cape Verdian are absolute trash, with higgest crime rates and so on, it is true tough, we have been getting more and more shit because this governament changed both border control and secret services high ranking staff with polítical goals in mind

S E L F H A T E
E
L
F
H
A
T
E

They weren't interested in setting up an empire at first which is why the originally only took port towns where trade was already going on. They have by far the most interesting accounts of other cultures because they really tried to strong arm everyone out of the Indian Ocean trade.

Aside from the Africans themselves, Arab, Indian and Chinese merchants Hanno beat them to it.

>They weren't interested in setting up an empire at first which is why the originally only took port towns where trade was already going on

Colonialism was a mistake, Europeans should've kept building forts and fighting over who controls the trade, Imperialism should've stayed in Europe

Why are Portuguese so insufferable on the internet?

Yes our history is glorious and underappreciated, but you make us no favors by begging for validation in every single history/international board.
Have some pride you pathetic motherfuckers.

t. Portuguese

Do you have a inferiority complex, anão?

it's the same 1 dude every time

>All those fucking places in Asia.
>Discovered.
Yeah, like there were totally no people who lived in the area and the locals weren't making maps themselves.

>people who lived in the area
often, yes
>and the locals weren't making maps themselves
no for the most part, and when they did it they were usually inferior to the portuguese maps, early renaissance italian spionage spent alot of gold to steal maps from the portuguese, one great examplar alredy has Brazil made a great fuss at the time, Piris Reis map was also famous was made based on the portuguese maps from is encounters with the portuguese in the indic ocean

There's hardly any difference between Portugal and Spanish.

>a former satellite state of Britain calls it cucked
I see pink elephants

>English made suez
The best banter the English ever had was to complain about the French building Suez with slaves and then using it keep naval dominance in India

>complaining 5 threads a week about Portugal when there are 10 threads a day about WWII and other discussed to death boring shit time periods

If Portugal had not found a maritime way towards India ,Europe would most likely have been conquered by the ottomans. The new spice route stole a big chunk of the ottomans profit.

The weak are the ones who need to leave , the strong stay.

Kek

this
If the same conditions in South America were seen in Africa or if Africa was a "New World",we'd see Portugal colonising their part of the Tordesilas while creating their Lusosphere with African and American Colonies