Medieval English comedy

Does anyone know of any Medieval English comedy?
Jokes?
Comedy books?
Funny songs/poems?
Amusing illustrations?
Comedy theatre?
Pranks?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_Book#The_Riddles
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YeOldeButcheredeEnglishe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whateth thou dealeth witheth carriage food?

Bump

>Sir Henry de Bohun (died 23 June 1314) was an English knight, the grandson of Humphrey de Bohun, 2nd Earl of Hereford. He was killed on the first day of the Battle of Bannockburn by Robert the Bruce. Riding in the vanguard of heavy cavalry, de Bohun caught sight of the Scottish king who was mounted on a small palfrey (ane gay palfray Li till and joly) armed only with a battle-axe.[1] De Bohun lowered his lance and charged, but Bruce stood his ground. At the last moment Bruce manoeuvred his mount nimbly to one side, stood up in his stirrups and hit de Bohun so hard with his axe that he split his helmet and head in two. Despite the great risk the King had taken, he merely expressed regret that he had broken the shaft of his favourite axe.
This was pretty funny

>merely expressed regret that he had broken the shaft of his favourite axe.
Fucking based.
Also 'de bohun' sounds pretty foreign, did English knights like to use French names a lot?

>Sir Henry de Bohun (died 23 June 1314) was an English knight

Yeah, he certainly was English with a name like this

>did English knights like to use French names a lot?

"English" nobles were pretty much all French after 1066
Pic related, some "English" knights fighting some French knights in 1217

What does that mean

It's a battle in an English civil war
You'll notice that all the knights on both sides have French names

Check out the Exeter book.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_Book#The_Riddles

Its an Anglo Saxon book of riddles full of sexual innuendo and toilet humour. Monks weren't nearly as sophisticated and prudish as people might think.

Lets see if anyone can guess this riddle.

>I am a wondrous creature for women in expectation, a service for neighbors. I harm none of the citizens except my slayer alone. My stem is erect, I stand up in bed, hairy somewhere down below. A very comely peasant's daughter, dares sometimes, proud maiden, that she grips at me, attacks me in my redness, plunders my head, confines me in a stronghold, feels my encounter directly, woman with braided hair. Wet be that eye.

I also have a French name 'William'.
It seems French names dominate Anglo-Saxon names in England ever since 1066. I've never met a Harold, Alfred, Oswald etc.
Did the yeomanry also adopt French names to be fashionable?

Hey thanks

I heard my own mirth

Oh wise sage, why whenth I break wind, it not only creates that familiar roar, but also fouleth the aire with a putrid smell?

So those poor souls the good Lord has made deafe can enjoy them, too, young squire.

Is this real?

I made this for my history of england class

a onion

A willy

Yea, tbf the Scots also had a load of French knights, Bruce himself descends from de Brus.

Oh wise sage, why don't young fair Maidens break wind?

Because, young squire, fair Maidens don't have an arsehole until they have wed a young squire liketh thou.

As opposed to the highly Scottish name De Bryce?

look for How William became a monk. William is a stock knight character, who becomes a monk, and makes golden underwear so he can fight robbers.

De brus*

William is a pretty typical english name, can you be specific?

Isn't it 'the bruce'

That's the modern English calling, not the name he went by
Kinda like "William Marshall" instead of "William le Mareschal" or "Richard Lionheart" instead of "Richard Core de Lion"

>he has a french name so he was le French
That's not how it worked back then

Why don't they ever just think "boy my name sounds really fucking gay, maybe i should drop the 'le' for 'the'. I didn't leave pooftah land in just to end up with some homo french name for fuck sake"

>the bruce

G'day bruce

Chaucer was pretty hillarious. Canterbury Tales in particular has quite a few funny stories and puns.

I bet /pol/ would love it, due to the frequent use of their favourite word, too!

>1/63
What the fuck

It's one out of 63 cucks in this book.

How does chaucer's Canterbury tales compare to Malory's morte d'arthur?

It was actually the name he went by, Scots was the language of Scotland by then.

It's De Brus, obviously it got anglicized over time to The Bruce

>Hey, young Squire, as longst as thou art linguryng in the nether,, mayest thou doeth me a favour?

No. Ye olde butcherede englishe grammare is all wrong.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YeOldeButcheredeEnglishe

"-eth" is a verb ending. It doesn't belong on ye olde words like when.
- the good Lord "hath" made deafe, for example.

Verily, 'tis a forgery.

was it used with the modern meaning or the old one?

>I've never met a Harold, Alfred, Oswald etc.
I've never met an Oswald, but Harold and Alfred aren't unheard of. Kinda old fashioned now though, but they seemed to be relatively common in the first half of the 20th Century.

>Bogenschützen
Faggot shooters?

I remember reading in some social history of medieval England book that people were very into pranks. But their idea of a prank was rounding someone up to tar and feather and then having a good laugh about it at the ale house.

Indeed. A more English name would be Sir Ibrahim bin Mohammed.