Who was in the wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bx27wa0SpN4
youtube.com/watch?v=wEbS4LvnvB4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Repealed the Edict of Expulsion
we both know who

The catholic was in the wrong. As it usual.

Cromwell because it was a sham trial which was never legitimised by the king

Charles because Absolutism had no place in England.

>implying parliament didn’t strong arm him into doing it
>tfw because of your stutter people think you’re an absolutist monarch starting a 10 year civil war ending in the death of thousands

Charles I is the most despised monarch in Britain’s historical memory. Considering that among his predecessors were murderers, rapists, psychotics and people who were the mentally challenged, this is no small distinction.

>parliament strong-armed Charles into making decisions and decrees without parliament approval and promoting pro-catholic sentiment

that's some 4d chess on Ollie's part me laddio

The king of England is an office not a person

The King, while it is unfortunate what happened Cromwell did what was necessary. The Puritans were right

Both of them but Cromwell was the worst. Cromwell dissolved an ancient institution and gave himself more power than any king in English history had held for centuries. If that isn't tyranny I don't know what is.

How do we Make America Puritan Again?

Sorry I’m british (southern but not Londoner) and it’s more John and Richard II which are hated so ...
Even after the glorious revolution people wanted to go into parliament to get to court
And Buckingham was introduced as a way to control James I but then backfired massively

You can’t be a tyrant unless you are declared one

t. Caesar

No studying the Greeks with Herodotus that’s what I found out

Charles. Married a Catholic, dressed like a Catholic, even prayed like a Catholic. In fact he even allied with the Catholic Irosh against England. He was evidently not appointed by God.
I initially agreed with Cromwell, but as time wore on he became more and more unlikable and began to reflect the tyrannical nature of Charles. His strict puritan ideals have no place in politics and enforcing them on the entire populace is dreadful. Theatre, sport, christmas dinner and drinking was all banned under Cromwell.
John is considered the worst English king by most, although that's mainly due to his infamy from the robin hood tales.
James II is also up there as an upopular king

Yes but it was not vacant at the time

CHARLES WAS A HIGH CHURCH ANGLICAN STOP THIS MEMERY
if you think Catholicism is satanic then all the crusaders are in hell and everyone before 1495 is in hell

It's not their fault that they didn't know about Protestantism, also there isn't a hell

>Theatre, sport, christmas dinner and drinking was all banned under Cromwell.
good
a republic should be both free and godly

>falling for popish lies

Go and burn a witch or something

>no fun allowed the post

>Has this king forgotten the reformation?!
I'm not even Christian, but I love this scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=bx27wa0SpN4

I think both were. The parliamentarians started the whole conflict but Charles made it worse.

>Theatre, sport, christmas dinner and drinking was all banned under Cromwell

WTF based /ourguy/

>there isn't a hell
?

>can't handle parliament
>you're forcing me to dissolve you!

>Cromwell dissolved an ancient institution and gave himself more power

>kill king
>all those MPs who were on "holiday" when the vote is made to kill Charles show up and start stonewalling any reform
>forced to dissolve parliament
>newly elected parliament is just as shitty
>have to dissolve them again
>well, fuck.

>HIGH CHURCH ANGLICAN
so crypto-catholic, got it. Laudianists and Arminians get the rope desu

>Schismaticism: the post

Of course not

>people commit treason
>trying to arrest them makes Parliament chimp out
Really makes you think

It’s Laudian, Arminius just wanted to go back to the original church as Constantine had it

>saves the new world from heresy and paganism
Psh nothing personal kid

cromwell was legit the greatest man who ever lived

Have you seen the film Cromwell
Richard Harris actually makes Cromwell likeable

Charles did everything in his power to get himself killed. The madman

youtube.com/watch?v=wEbS4LvnvB4
Implying this autistry doesn't make him /ourguy/

This.
Cromwell and the Rump gave Charles every opportunity to save himself (not to mention the countless offers of peace and negotiated settlement Parliament gave Charles during the Wars).
Charles was simply too stubborn to act upon it, falsely believing that A) The people loved him and it was just a fanatical minority out to get him B) the French wouldn't let this happen and would soon be there to save him and C) If he was somehow executed he'd be a martyr for the church (which turned out to be true) and that his sacrifice would inspire popular rebellion

Such a great scene

But Cromwell never did anything to abuse his power nor did he want that power.
He agonized for years about the Rump's inability to get things done and with the support of pretty much the entire nation closed it down. This wasn't an act of personal power-mongering but more of a service to England.
Even as Protector Cromwell refused the crown and ruled very much in conjunction with his elected Protectoral Parliaments and the Council of State. Aside from the Rule of the Major Generals, who were meant to purify the counties many of whom were still royalists and popish, which he hasitly scrapped after they proved extremely unpopular, Cromwell ruled very much as a democratically as possible. He served more as a figurehead than a dictator, overseeing Parliament rather than dominating it

>refused the crown
>appoints son as successor
really makes me think...

The Fifth Monarchists were active during the Interregnum, following the English Civil Wars. They took their name from a prophecy in the Book of Daniel that 4 ancient monarchies (Babylonian, Persian, Macedonian, and Roman) would precede the kingdom of Christ.

When Oliver Cromwell dissolved Parliament by force in April 1653, many Fifth Monarchists hailed him as a second Moses, leading God's people to the Promised Land. Congregations around the country issued declarations of support and expressed their hope that Christ’s kingdom was dawning. The Anglo-Dutch War (1652-4) was seen as a continuation of the process that had started with the civil wars. The Fifth Monarchists expected the war eventually to engulf the whole of Europe until Rome itself had fallen and the Pope, whom they identified with the Antichrist, was overthrown.

The Restoration was a devastating blow for the Fifth Monarchists. Some leaders were executed in October 1660 as regicides. Other leaders were imprisoned. Strict censorship and a ban on religious meetings outside the established church quickly drove the movement underground.

He accepted death before comprise with r*publicans. A true martyr.

Dominic West also does a good Cromwell in The Devil's Whore

>Heretics vs heretics

Charles because of pure retardation.

All those Millenarian movements at the time were fascinating.
Its amazing that it was considered so unthinkable for the people to kill a king that it was thought the Second Coming was imminent.
The English Civil Wars / Revolutions really don't get their due when compared with the later Atlantic Revolutions but it was some truly ground-breaking stuff

>a bunch of puffed up Councillors suddenly think THEY are England

>an inbred Scot "king" suddenly thinks HE is England

Charles I was a fucking protestant

both, the Scottish Presbyterians were the ones in the right.

>allying themselves with the defeated king and plunging England into more war
Cromwell btfoing those war-mongers at Dunbar was glorious

l*udianism is crypto-catholicism