Historical memes you hate

>the Three-Fifths Compromise was enacted to make blacks 3/5 of a person
>average people only lived to 40 in year X

Other urls found in this thread:

medievalists.net/2014/07/people-drink-water-middle-ages/
youtu.be/t3IUnFq3U0Y?t=1m42s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>People in the past only drank beer because water was contaminated!

>people used to believe the earth was flat not long ago!

This is true for medieval peasants tho.

>columbus was an idiot

But this is true.

>the North fought to free slaves

>Ronald Reagan funded the Taliban
That's my all time favorite one.

>the medieval Islamic world was a utopia of science, mathematics, learning and tolerance while medieval Europe was a dirty, poor, oppressive and uneducated backwater

>The Christians brought the dark ages!
>Science was suppressed!

fairly true

>the roman empire fell because of 'issue retrofitted into the current time'

In your mind

Six million

Oy Vey!

If you're not total alcoholic you should understand you can't replace fresh water with beer.
Other one:
>People started using spices to hide the smell of rotten food

Some still do

>Just drink fresh water lmao
t.Let them eat cake-lady (something she never said)

>Napoleon was a manlet

It was small beer you mong, It was like 1-2% or less akin to craft brewing your own gingerale.

And yeah, they probably were slightly buzzed all day, but they also got a lot of fluid from pottage and broths.

This shit bothers me alot too.
Almost every single time someone brings up the holocaust they start spouting muh six million seemingly without realising that the number only accounts for jews and not the other unwanted folk-groups.

Ancient beer was drunk daily by everyone in Egypt, but more for nourishment rather than hydration.

You are hopeless. Read this:
medievalists.net/2014/07/people-drink-water-middle-ages/

>Art periods work so well and were always clear-cut from start to finish!

personal favorite

This is a good read

Only in the context of Spain

She did say it but cake didn’t mean like a wedding cake, it meant the crusty shit left in the oven after you burn something
Basically she told them to eat shit

This is a pretty big sticking point for me.

You can complain about his mindset and call him a barbaric asswipe, but the man wasn't stupid.

He was completely off about how far away America was

>The medieval ages were backwards and horrible, we have more in common with the Greco-Romans

>the Jews don't control history

Both are essentially true tho

>Chinese communists did all the work fighting the Japanese, all the Nationalists did was run away without fighting

>WW1 was absolute hell all the time

>France always surrenders

They did but it was like 1 or 2 percent alcohol.

>the Cold War was an ideological show down

Literally nobody says Nationalists run away. You've got it backwards.

>the New Deal elongated the depression
>WW2 would have been lost without the USA
>Communism was the worst thing to happen to Russia
>MLK would have been a Republican in today's America

Just all the Hick baby boomer shit really.

>CURRENT SITUATION is exactly like PAST SITUATION

>the New Deal shortened the depression
FTFY

Can you maybe not

>Communism was the worst thing to happen to Russia
What would you argue to have been worse, the mongols?

So was everybody else? He was overall an excellent navigator. Really understood winds and current systems well and open see navigation.

His objective was India...not America, in the long run it caused some problems, cuz now you call native americans indians and people that live in india, indians...

ah yes one of the greatest problems facing the world today

Who gives a shit?

>Trotsky was the good guy and would've made the Soviet Union more democratic

>Greece beat Italy in WW2 and was only beaten by Germany
Aside from pic related this is bullshit for another reason. The British had been hounding the Italian Navy and merchant fleet in the Adriatic, shipping weapons and supplies to the Greeks equivalent to a significant fraction of the latter's total expenditures, launching airstrikes on Italian forces in the Balkans, and even sending ground troops there starting in March, freeing up Greek troops for the Albanian front. The British had been intervening since the beginning of the conflict (without them, if nothing else the Greeks run out of ammunition in March) and there were British ground troops in Greece a month before there were German ones. So even going with the false premise that Italy couldn't have won without Germany, why exactly is it treated as if Italy calling its ally for help is unfair yet Greece doing the same thing isn't?

It's a typical example of going too far in one direction and missing out on nuance. Yes, Greek resistance was unexpectedly tough and Italian conduct unexpectedly incompetent. Yes, Greece repulsed the initial invasion. Yes, Italy had way more trouble than it should have subduing a nation of about 7.5 million people. No, Greece didn't beat Italy. No, Italy wasn't bailed out by Germany.

>The American Revolution was fought bcuz of taxes

>every communist leader was a Stalin-tier torturer and murderer

no all dumb nationalists did was fight the goddamn commies making the other Chinese think the nationalists were more interested in defeating commies the defeating threats to the nation. and don't get me wrong the commies were conniving fucks but that's also why they won

Annnnnnd,?

Modern Chinese historians tend to argue that Chiang was correct in not aggressively trying to fight the Japanese, because the USA was just going to come along and beat them anyway.

This. It was 6 million jews + 5 million gypsies, gays, disabled etc

They didn't have ovens back then you mong

Wow what a brainlet.

>The 4th Crusade was a bad thing.

if Chongshi ever falls than Chiang would lose a major power base

>haha WW1 wasn't bad at all they actually only fought one week out of the year during normal deployment and let's not forget the Christmas truce!
>gas attacks weren't that bad only 2% of casualties were inflicted by gas!
It's like you're on two levels of ironic retardation

The new world indians.

>hugo boss designed the ss uniforms

Are you retarded? There's a huge fucking gap between something being hell on earth 100% of the time and not being bad at all.

the parts of WWI that were Hell were Hell 100% of the time
Sure there were campaigns and fronts that had nothing really happening, but if you were put anywhere on the Continent you were in for living hell

>mongols
Bad, but not as bad as if the Tsar had desperately held onto power.

Not even a tankie, the Bolsheviks taking over was a major step into the shit. But the Tsar could've maintained a horrible autocratic government well beyond expiration date and with modern techniques made an authoritarian state.

>the parts of WWI that were Hell were Hell 100% of the time
Thank you for agreeing that it wasn't hell all the time.

>Greece/Rome and Christianity founded Western Civilization and the rest of Europe either magically didn't exist yet/somehow had literally zero influence on anything after Rome fell

What sort of re-re:s do you associate with? I've never heard anyone making that claim.

Native americans prefer to be called indians. Whether this prompts the question dot or feather afterwards is irrelevant, but to pretend that indians are upset is hilarious.

>Native americans prefer to be called indians
What's your source for this? I've always heard that they are atleast a tad annoyed by it à la calling a turk an arab.

Why does the early modern playwright Henry Porter, writing in an era with much worse sanitation than the medieval period, include a line about drinking nothing but small beer and presenting it as a bizarre, comical punishment?

Why are there thousands of medieval references to drinking water and comparatively fewer references to drinking alcohol?

It wasn't, I can't understand why people think this. It doesn't even make simple physical sense. You have to get to the level of whiskey or vodka before alcohol has any sanitising properties.

It's a fairly common opinion on here that is typically expressed by the cultural christian types.

The brewing process involves boiling, so yes, it does make physical sense.

>Six million

>*now 23 million

It wasn't?

>What's your source for this?
youtu.be/t3IUnFq3U0Y?t=1m42s

>lincoln wanted to free the slaves
>napoleon was short
>versailles caused ww2

The original phrase is "qu'ils mangent de la brioche", brioche being a pastry. And she never said it, it was from a book of Rousseau.

I mean, that’s an oversimplification, but it’s not completely off.

The proclamation line was also a big point that increased tensions.

>I get offended by racism, sexism, transphobia, bigotry and chauvinism and whatever but let me project everything I hate onto [insert group of European victors (and ancestors of my nation) here] while asserting how perfect, peaceful loving, feminist and caring the noble savages would have been.
>Chainmail is worn over skin without any padding
>Muh ancestors were royalty
>"Oh, you appreciate another time period and fantasize about some ideal life then? Don't you know that they didn't even have medicine? Don't you know they don't have TV and Pokemon xDXD?"
>Everything was so dark and gloomy in history and nobody ever painted a wall
>We're going to portray this historical civilization but not point out the wacky spiritual rituals they did because our modern audiences will think it's silly and not cool - insert sceptical character to mock most deeply held beliefs of the time
>There's no racism ever in history except in modern American history then everyone is a psychopath who goes around murdering people for no reason except racism.

I'll give a shit about their opinions when they stop being drunks in their trailer parks.

I'll stop calling them Indians when they stop calling themselves Indians. I live near a reservation and they name a lot of things Indian this and Indian that, road and schools and the like. They actually referred to themselves as American Indians officially until around the 90s when they started saying "Native American" instead, but there's still holdover from the previous generation that call themselves Indians.

I used to think it was a play on the word "indigenous."

>Christianity caused the fall of Rome
>Afrocentrism in general
>Napoleon was an evil conqueror on par with Hitler
>France has a horrible track record in wars/surrender meme
>American Civil War was about states' rights/tariffs
>Imperial Germany was the same thing as Nazi Germany
>Japan had any chance of winning the Pacific War whatsoever
>If Hitler did X he would have won!

>implying there are good commies

>If Hitler did X he would have won!

But if he hadn't invaded Poland he would've won, by making his country great again and not provoking everyone to attack him. Then again the USSR was going to invade Europe regardless and had the Americans not already been involved to stop them along the iron curtain they would've likely conquered all of Europe.

>the USSR was going to invade Europe regardless
Speaking of bad memes...

>Poland did literally nothing wrong
Poland invaded everyone it could as soon as it gained independence. they were even allied with Germany and helped them invade Czechoslovakia. then their leader died and some anti-German nutjob got in and a few years later all hell broke loose.

it was sorta like that from around the late 8th Century to the early 12th Century. then Ghazali came along and said "cause and effect isn't real, stop thinking, start praying" and the brilliant minds at the time actually took him seriously.

To be fair, "Rome fell because of (modern day issue I'm against)" has been used for over 1000 years. So it's a tradition at this point.

America beat the Japanese while the nationalists were busy massacring communist troops under their command.

Czechoslovakia took that exact piece of land in 1920 while muh literally allying with ussr just because poles were at war with them. Zaolzie was majority polish. Off yourself you fucking idiot or cease to speak about things you have no idea about. Even the fucking strategic meaning of that was that if Nazis controlled that instead they would have an easier time invading.

Just because World War I wasn't hell 100% of time doesn't mean it wasn't that bad, which is the real implication behind it. Otherwise, why care if someone believed WW1 was awful 24/7?

The """"""blitzkrieg"""""" """"""doctrine"""""

>the Nazi economy wasn’t going to collapse without a war.
>byzantines aren’t Roman.
>people who dispute pic related
>x thread on what Germany could do to win WW1 or 2
>DA JOOS and holocaust denial
>Holodomor denial too
>civil war not about Slavery.
>Turks

>half literate mocks boomers and then gives us this boomer tier version of history

they massacred the communist troops under them in the 20's though

You're right, Communism's global workers revolution is a bad meme.

Those WW2 memes that are so soviet biased and full of earrape

>the Three-Fifths Compromise was enacted to make blacks 3/5 of a person
I've never heard anyone say this. Any time the 3/5th compromise is mentioned the teachers explicitly said it DID NOT have that effect.
>average people only lived to 40 in year X
I mean, its true, it just shows that people don't understand averages and infant mortality.
I mean, they did use alcohol to prevent disease from bad water
it was a common belief among peasants in Saxony, Bavaria, and Thuringia according to some mid-15th century German writers
ive never heard anyone say "utopia" but the Islamic world did have way more educated people and the economy to support high levels of learning that most of Europe did not.
yeah, it might have been more ;)
noone has said this ever. Just because people can't into nuance or just aren't taught about transitional period doesn't mean you get to post about it.

The thing about averages is true desu. I live like 2 minutes from an old graveyard (That was next to my elementary school lol) that dates back to as far as the 17th century and most of those gravestones (That you can still make out) are kids under 5 or even 1. It's kinda crazy to think 150 years ago that someone might have 10 kids and only 2 would make it to adulthood.. Sad really.