Normans

I was watching this lindybeige video

streamable.com/bfybg

Is it true that Normans were actually Vikings? I always thought they had assimilated to French by the time of early 1000s

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_England
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of Scandinavian origing but they also took to french culture and are french by everything but blood

>I was watching this lindybeige video
You shouldn't do that

>Is it true that Normans were actually Vikings? I always thought they had assimilated to French by the time of early 1000s
It depends of what you call "Normans"
Those that arrived in France in 911 were Danish vikings

But those that invaded England in 1066 were French, both culturally (language, way of life, political system, religion, fighting style) and genetically (after seven generations of interbreeding with locals without renewal of Nordic blood, they were something like 80% french and 20% nordic)

they conquered northern france and mixed with the locals. by the time they invaded england, they were mostly french.

>A few nords settle in a heavily populated region
>several generations later their descendants are still 100% scandinavians

Rollo blood strong !

As I remember Rufus something kept harranging the frenchies until the vikings sailed up the Siene and attacked Paris. T he french king had to give them the land to stop this and the people who settled there, north men eventually degraded to Norman and they became french and took up french feudalism and french mannerisms and names.

>they conquered northern france

They didn't tho
They were offered a swamp at the estuary of the Seine river in exchange for vassalage after being defeated by the French king in the Siege of Chartres

In case you learned what you know about the Normans in that one Vikings show, I have to inform you it is mostly fiction

Yes they were Vikings, lindy is an expert in this area.

frog detected

Reminds me that one video about Malta, in which he whines about the French being evil and destroying Malta under Napoleon and then proceeds to praise the Knight Hospitallers of Malta, probably unaware that they were almost all French

It's hilarious how Frenchmen will go "THE NORMANS WERE FRENCH! THEY HAD ASSIMILATED" one minute, but "(English King hundred f years after the Norman conquest) WAS FRENCH! HE WAS NORMAN FRENCH!"

Well, the English definitely believed they were conquered by the French.

It's the truth tho
Rollo failed utterly in Paris in 885, and then got BTFO by the Franks into alliances when he came back in 911

Vikings did indeed capture Paris once, but it was in 845, and not under Rollo
The retarded Vikings TV show made a mix of both sieges

FROGS OUT

You're making a retarded comparison
Normans were offered Normandy after a defeat, and in exchange for vassalage and christianization
Their assimilation was quick because it was forced

Meanwhile in England, the Normans were unchallenged conquerors
That's why they imposed their culture and language (which was now French), replaced the whole nobility and didn't bother learning English for centuries

>Implyimg there was a vast disparity between pre Norman english culture and post Norman

>but "(English King hundred f years after the Norman conquest) WAS FRENCH! HE WAS NORMAN FRENCH!"

Because that what facts tell, mad bong

>Henry IV (15 April 1367 – 20 March 1413)
>Henry's mother was Blanche, heiress to the considerable Lancaster estates, and thus he became the first King of England from the Lancaster branch of the Plantagenets and the first King of England since the Norman Conquest whose mother tongue was English rather than French.[3]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_IV_of_England

Three fucking centuries after the conquest m8...

You shouldn't forget that the locals were already of celto-germanic stock, Franks and Saxons settled in Normandy before the Danes.

My sides xD

Fucking normans get out reeeeeeeee

No one actually says they are French you autist. They simply point out their fucking ancestry and language was French but you take it to the extreme and think they're saying "they were pure French".
Stop being so insecure lindy

>and answers you in fucking French

Just like your beloved king, Nigel

>beloved
Haha

He is right
Norman nobility spoke Parisian
But the rest spoke danish
They had very little French DNA

But hurt frogs will always cry trying to lie to themself that gods chosen people have anything to do with the French

london?

>I’m a girl
You're not
However, you are a buttdevasted bong made recognizable by this dumb name

>Norman nobility spoke Parisian
>But the rest spoke danish
There was no such thing as "Norman nobility" and "the rest"
Very few Normans settled, and all assimilated pretty quickly
Btw, they didn't speak "Parisian French" but the French that was spoken in the area they settled (which was only very slightly different from Parisian tho, all oil French were quite the same).
And by 1066, no one spoke Danish anymore in Normandy

>They had very little French DNA
Pure bullcrap, once again
No Nodic woman settled with the Normans, so all children were made through interbreeding
By 1066, seven generations of interbreeding had happened, with no renewal of Nordic blood
This means that they had something like 20% of Danish DNA left at most

>You're not
Owned

>you’re not
Stopped reading there
Buthurt frog fag still upset that a rainy island will overshadow your mut country :^)

Can you imagine a girl posting in one of these autistic threads about the percentage of vikangz DNA normans had?

If you're really a girl, post tits
and then respond to his argument while he's at it

Why is it any different to a guy doing it?

I've never met a woman who was anywhere near as autistic as the people who post in these threads. I have, however, met males who were autistic enough to post here.

You don't meet many women

This is getting ridiculous. I'm English and fairly patriotic; yet i admit the Normans who invaded were indeed French in language, culture and nationality. However i believe most of the French invaders assimilated quite quickly (except the royals) to the point that most 1st gen Normans in England were pretty much English.
I think the royals didn't become English until Henry III who was 2nd gen Frenchman in England and a bit ofban Angloboo (naming his son Edward after the confessor and being able to fluently speak Anglais)

Don't underestimate the power of f32nch assimilation my rosebeef friend

Normans where mostly french.
And honestly vikings are a bunch of fucking savages just because they had blond hair doesnt excuse their niggetry.