Am I supposed to read most or all of this book? It's so long

Am I supposed to read most or all of this book? It's so long

Would also like to know.

I've only read what the sticky covers on SS and I'm doing pretty well.

You can do whatever the hell you like. Plenty of people have gotten massive and strong without having ever read a thing. Still, I recommend reading the whole book, yeah.

Read the fucking material or you're not actually doing the program properly. That's why so many people bitch about it or talk shit about it. They just do something they found online that isn't even the actual program and get shit results. It's fantastic for what it's meant to do, but only if you actually do it properly.

Tldr if you're going to do SS, read the fucking book

It explains why Rip teaches the form he does. It's nothing that you absolutely need. Practical programming is probably more important if you're interested in strength training.

Squat 3 times a week and GOMAD that's all you need to know :*

read the fucking book you autists

Who has honestly actually read the book.

And this why there are morons who think SS is a shit routine or a meme.

>SS
>Long
When is the last time you read a book? Christ.

Exactly.

SS + GOMAD. GOT TO EAT BIG TO GET BIG.

>already fatso
>doing GOMAD

>hurr I didn't do the program correctly and got shit results

You people need to kys

Since its a hobby to you I would just use it as a reference for designing a 6 month to year long exercise routine. Maybe occassionaly review its articles about form, rest periods, diets, etc. I use. Jim Stopanni's encyclopedia of muscle and strength but I hear that SS is a good reference.

>novice
>design
Yeah no. Fuck you people need to quit giving advice.
Read the damn book you lazy faggot so you don't end up like a fat t-Rex because you listened to retards on the internet

Isn't GOMAD just a protein intake thing that was popular is the 60s/70's. I don't think they had very many options for supplements back then bro.

Not really no, you don't need to read the 10 pages on how shoulder press won't give you shoulder impingement. Nor do you need to know history behind lifts or the useless rabble about resistance machines.
Read everything about the form of the exercise and that's pretty much it.

Read the latest 5/3/1 book instead.

Not that long. Read all of it. There's lots of pictures.

>used GOMAD which is for bulking
>bulked

for me he did god

I have. And practical programming. And TM 1 & 2. And a variety of other books.

You aren't supposed to do gomad unless you are super skinny.

Read the book so you understand why you're doing what you're doing. Rippetoe's "my way or the highway" attitude can be a bit irritating at times but the information is good. Once you get about 6 months in, assuming you followed the program right, I'd pick up Practical Programming as well.

Gomad is awesome if the routine you're doing is actually for hypertrophy and actually has some kind of volume in it. Why gomad gets recommended for SS is beyond me. Completely pointless, and you're just going to get fat regardless of how skinny you are.

>millennial attention span

you don't how his results. SS is a strength program and there's no mentions of his stats

>SS is a strength program

Yeah, people always claim this in defense of SS giving shitty, or in this case negative results, but Rip claims all the fucking time that SS will put 50+ pounds onto new lifters. He's technically not wrong if they gain 50+ pounds of fat, though.

"The way we can add 60 pounds to a kid's frame in a year is the same way we can take his squat from 95 pounds to 365 pounds – systematic, consistent loading, as fast as their recovery will allow." - Rip