Organ meats

Apparently things like livers, kidneys, hearts, etc. are super nutrient-dense, much moreso than muscle meat, and really healthy for you. Does anybody have experience with regularly eating them? Are they a good dietary addition?

Other urls found in this thread:

ottolenghi.co.uk/jerusalem-mixed-grill-shop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't like the taste of liver, even used as just a tiny part of a ragú, I could still taste it

can't speak to other organ meat

be careful, certain organs like that have tons of copper and other micros that are bad to be deficient in but worse to be excess in

Factually incorrect

I read so on vox

I don't know much about copper, how does it help regulate the body?

Repulsive. I mean, why eat that nasty shit when you could just eat fruits and veggies with your regular meat or legumes?

You know what's also packed with nutrients? Legumes, fruits and vegetables.

>meat
>really healthy for you
ok i guess trans fats all the sudden is really healthy for you

You're a faggot.

OP, chicken heart is delicious.

For most organs, the texture will put you off way before the taste does.

In Peru they cook cow hearts kabab style and it's fucking delicious
It's called anticuchos and if you ever find a Peruvian restaurant in your area or decide to cook it yourself, I highly recommend it

Pic related

I can't eat liver, my mom once made it to me when I was like 8 and I almost threw up, now every time I smell it I have that same reaction as when you get shitfaced with whiskey then can't drink whiskey anymore for years

Used to get chicken livers from KFC deep fried extra crispy, once in a while... maybe twice a year. Move to new state up north... no chicken livers in any of the KFC's. Maybe now I'll make it...

>le transfats maymay

Hello rèddit!

Sounds tasty as fuck

>trans fats
fuck off tumblr

A good chicken soup with chicken liver.

Grilled beef liver.

they are often extremly rich in fat and cholesterol which isnt always a good thing, really depends on organ anyway
brain is rich in both
intestines mostly fat shit
liver and spleen full of iron too
kidneys taste like piss (duh)
lungs are probably the lighter ones
heart is just same as other muscle

Organ meats are good, people in America waste a lot of organs because they're "gross" but really they're not. Huge waste of food because of this fixation on chicken breast/wings.

Well, it's probably less of a waste than the food that goes to obese people to maintain their weights.

There is no evidence that these organs are "healthy", though the liver in particular is very dense in minerals and vitamins. But more isn't better or healthier. Liver is very high in retinol and can cause toxicity when eaten in very large quantities, and birth defects when consumed even in small quantities during pregnancy.

The healthiest organ of an animal to consume would probably be the brain because it contains a lot of unsaturated fat, and consumption of lean muscle meats, collagen, bone marrow and brain, rather than only fatty garbage cuts, is one of the reasons human pre-historic ancestors had a low intake of saturated fat.

Liverwurst with ~25-35% liver is very tasty, liver itself isn't.

You are both faggots who deserves cancer and heart disease. You can't defend meat being healthy due to trans fats because as we all know trans fats are not healthy and you should eat nothing of it. Dyel meatards btfo.

>>>/LGBT/

I eat chicken liver fairly regularly.
It's pretty great. I prefer it cooked in butter seasoned with salt in excess.
Check out those macros: 24% protein, 6% fat, 1% carbs. Also note the vitamins and minerals, as with 200g you're fully covered for the day, in a way that kilos of green veggies can't do.
However you need to not be afraid of cholesterol, and keep in mind that omega-6 fats are high, so you need to balance those out.

Just get a stroke already, when was the last time you had sex you dyel incel? What's that? Never? Woaw ok virgin.

Shut the fuck up you annoying vegan. I'm going to eat some steak.

>shut up you annoying vegan don't tell me that my diet is unethical and unhealthy!!!
>im now going to eat something that will give me chronic disease
>haha how about that you annoying vegan!

Autism.

yikes that's scary. i've read stories about universities that followed sex-change patients around for like 30 years after they get the operation and they're so fucked up like half of them end up committing suicide before 30 years. the university was then threatened by like the LBGT community not to release the study. kinda sad how people are willing to let others fuck themselves because it validates your own life somehow. good for this reddit dude to actually give good advice from his own mistakes instead of letting some poor kids go and do the same thing.

>trans fats
>meat
Just so you know, trans fats are "fats" which are unnatural. Vegetables contain no oil, but they can be chemically altered to replicate fats. Hence "vegetable oil" is "trans fat".

Liver is pretty great. It is wildly high in sat fat, cholesterol, and retinol though. Eating liver once a week would be good for the average american.

Chicken liver is probably the most palatable for most people, but calves liver pate is my favorite.

Seconding chicken liver, it's great to add to your diet every once and a while to help with overall health, and also quite calorie dense.

It's also cheap as FUCK, like $1/lb at my local supermarket. Cooking it can be a bit of a pain since it has a tendency to disintegrate if you stir it too much. Here's a good recipe:

>ottolenghi.co.uk/jerusalem-mixed-grill-shop
I skip the chicken hearts and add extra liver/breast. Ottolenghi is a fucking jew so here's the actual recipe

>Add chicken breast to a nearly smoking frying pan, cook until browned all over (2-3 minutes), stirring once. Transfer the pieces to a bowl and set aside.
>Put the hearts in the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not cooled through (2-3 minutes). Add to bowl.
>Pour a teaspoon of olive oil into the pain, heat, and cook the livers for 2-3 minutes stirring just once or twice. Then remove from the pan.
>Pour two teaspoons of olive oil into the pan and add half of the onions. Cook, stirring all the time, for 4-5 minutes until onions soften and slightly char but aren't completely limp. Add the remaining oil to the pan and repeat with the second half of the onions. Return the first batch to the pan, along with the spices and cooked chicken pieces, hearts and livers. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook for about 5 minutes, scraping the pan, until the chicken is cooked through.

sodium tho

Chicken liver is great, and very cheap. I usually buy a pound a week. Dice up half an onion and sautee until translucent, toss in the chicken liver and cook through. I like to mix it with roughly chopped hard-boiled egg to make it like a rich egg salad. You can eat it by itself, or toss it into a wrap for a burrito or spread it on toast. Is very good.

Go on chronometer, there's trans fats in meat, dairy and eggs retard.

Animal fats are better for you than vegetable fats. Off course any fat in huge amounts is not healthy. You fell for the margarine corporation propaganda.

>hurr durr all fats give you heart disease
I studied a class on the history of chronic diseases, and when every food company scrambled to make foods with fat have less fat, guess what? Heart disease mortality increased, more people would get heart disease, and Obesity became more common. Stop being that guy who thinks all fats will clog your arteries. If you eat lots of fats and protein daily, cholesterol will of course increase, BUT, it will mostly be increased HDL (high-density lipoproteins, which are perfectly good for you).
If you wanna know what really caused increased rates, obesity, and higher rates of getting heart disease, look at the high rates of sugars and carbs in low fat foods. Sugar and carbs cause more LDL Cholesterol and have been probably one of the main causes of Obesity in the US. Fuck off with this whole notion that Fat foods are the devil and will kill you by 25.

>transgenders will defend this

also the post where he had a breakdown and all posts after that are deleted, not like the tranny (((mods))) have anything to do with this.

INFPs when will they learn.

idk google it but copper can give you poisoning like many heavy metals do

heart and tongue taste great, maybe even better than normal meat
tripe is good for soup
liver is considered the healthiest I think, but it tastes bitter so a lot of people don't like it
gizzards tasted terrible when I ate them once

>I studied a class on the history of chronic diseases
YouTube isn't a class, my man.

meat doesn't have trans fat you fucking idiot
go back to whatever containment board you crawled out from

I went to a university and took a short course on it over the summer.

It obviously wasn't a very good course. I recommend to ask for your money back.

Heart is delicious. Heart tartare is scrummy

>t. Just got schooled and is butthurt

saturated fat is a problem. so is added/refined sugar. Why are you assuming the problem is mutually exclusive? Eat whole foods, you'll be fine.

In Portugal we use them a lot
also intestines, pig feet, pig tail and shit like that

tasty af, sounds gross until you try it

the fuck did I just read
guess sometimes you just shouldnt really mess with nature

now im fucking scared of gyno surgery

Love beef liver and it's cheap. Had no idea it has good micros.

>tfw posted this
on /lgbt/ and they're trying to convince me "she" deleted her posts because "she" was actually happy with the results.

Trans fats in animal products are not the same as hydrolized vegetables oil, which is what the common term "trans fat" is referring to. All of the trans fat boogeyman studies are on hydrolized oil, not on rumenic acid which is the trans fats made in ruminants such as cows.

Eggs don't have trans fats that takes literally 1 second in google.

I used to eat them every once in a while while I was in uni, one of the most tasteful things I ate in my life.

My favourite are pig kindneys with rice. Tongue is good for soups.

Trips of truth

I remember when my mom made me fried rabbit(nothing to do with deep fried shit of murica) and the first thing I ate was the liver
so good

Like most of the people in the thread are saying, there are some good nutrients in the organ meats but it's probably not healthy to eat them very often.

I had a duck heart roasted in duck fat on Thanksgiving once, it was heavenly.

>i studied a class over the summer now I know more than actual cardiologists

trans fats are a byproduct of partial hydrogenation of unsaturated fats

in other words trans fat doesn't occur in nature and they're definitely not found in meat

>Sugar and carbs cause more LDL Cholesterol and have been probably one of the main causes of Obesity in the US.
Wrong.

Meat consumption is more strongly correlated with obesity than sugar. This is why there are so few vegetarians with type 2 diabetes.

cow hearts are the shit, just don't overcook it or it turns to rubber.

Cooked chicken hearts soup fucking best

Kidneys can be delicious if you thoroughly clean them.

Trans fats also occur naturally in a limited number of cases. Vaccenyl and conjugated linoleyl (CLA) containing trans fats occur naturally in trace amounts in meat and dairy products from ruminants. Most artificial trans fats are chemically different from natural trans fats. Two Canadian studies[8][9] have shown that the natural trans fat vaccenic acid, found in beef and dairy products, could actually be beneficial compared to hydrogenated vegetable shortening, or a mixture of pork lard and soy fat,[9] by lowering total and LDL and triglyceride levels.

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Organ meat is extremely healthy

Anyone telling you otherwise is full of shit

Liver and onion all the way fuckers. Add some wine while cooking and you got a winner.

>Supported in part by grants from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research, the Dairy Farmers of Canada, Novalait, and the St. Boniface Hospital and Research Foundation

>Supported by the Global Dairy Platform, Rosemont, IL.

>Dr. Proctor was given a $1 million research grant by the Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency to further study these effects over the next several years.

Wow who would've thought.

Grilled lamb hearts are simple to make and taste really good. I usually half-boil them first, then cut in two and add spices. I prefer them fully cooked though, something about the texture when it's medium/rare.

Not sure, but it could be refreshing to try out new meals if your usual food options got boring

I like liver with onions.

Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on your actual cholesterol levels, although the point about the saturated fat has some merit to it.

Yeah man as a Muslim we have this festival called Eid al-Adha aka Festival of the Sacrifice where we sacrifice sheep a sheep and then distribute it to the poor and those in need.

We eat everything off the sheep including brains, liver, heart, kidneys its really tasty and good.

You should eat them at most once a week.

>mandatory cuting one month per year
>mandatory animal sacrifice, making veganism forbidden
>alcohol is haram
>anti-feminist
>men have to be ready for war if needed
Veeky Forumstest religion

>I mean, why eat that nasty shit when you could just eat fruits and veggies with your regular meat or legumes?
>You know what's also packed with nutrients? Legumes, fruits and vegetables.
None of them come close to organ meat.

This thread is America/10.

guys why is there trans fat in my extra lean ground turkey

is even 1 gram of trans fats bad?

shame about their inbreeding. Arabs would probably be pretty great otherwise

I'm not tryin to grow bigger organs bitch

>rampant cousin marriage, literally the majority in some places
>generally with father's brother's daughter rather than father's sister's, which is way worse
yea good luck bro

Shame they fucked up with this, when its clearly forbidden in Islam to marry anyone that close in your family.

I don't understand how it got so out of hand.