Are you cheating if you use a belt?

Are you cheating if you use a belt?

Do belts help at all with lower back safety?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Belt help with lower back
No your bracing should do that
>are belts cheating
Matters how you use them and if you brace properly

Using a belt too much will result in a weaker lower back.

No they aren't.

If used correctly they increase intra-abdominal pressure, reducing the risk of injury.

>t. retard who has no clue how a belt works

Belts help you build more inter abdominal pressure and reduce the risk of hernia.

Belts don't do anything for your low back and don't compensate for poor form.

>Are you cheating if you use a belt?
No.
>Do belts help at all with lower back safety?
Possibly.

Shit form is shit form. A belt allows something for your abdomen to brace against when inhaling for your lift. This helps your core stay in place during the lift the way you want assuming you have proper form.

If you have shit form, a belt will allow you (just like with good form) to possibly lift heavier weight putting you in an even more dangerous position for your back and other body parts.

Additionally no one who uses a belt to lift heavier weights lose strength from the same lift without a belt. The heavier you go with a belt the heaiver you can go without a belt

The are useful, but 95% of people who use belts are better off learning how to breathe and brace properly.

yes. everyone can lift more with a belt, and it's not inherently safer.

this x1000. I've been lifting for like 6 years always used a belt on squat a dead and i feel like its been very detrimental to my lower back strength. I now have to catch up on my form on deadlift because right off the floor my back rounds. Now i do majority of my sets beltless and only use a belt when my sets feel too heavy or my lower back is fatigued from deadlifting prior to squats. Belts feel like cheating though which is why i always used them, especially on squat.. the buoyancy you get out of the hole with a belt is seriously like a loaded spring

Belts are a meme, been lifting for years without them and never had any issues,
Squats 400 and deadlift 500, despite Veeky Forums making it seem everyone lifts more I've never seen anyone even come close to my lifts or even try.
usually the ones I see wearing them are dyels and fat guys lifting babby weights

belts are very useful for overload technique seeing as you can typically squat and deadlift more than you could without one

you have to be wary because if you use a belt too much it will develop into a crutch and you will rely on it to lift anything remotely taxing

>I now have to catch up on my form on deadlift because right off the floor my back rounds
thats because you neglected training your core and fell into the squats and deadlits is all you need meme

All it does it help increase intra abdominal pressure which means it helps you active your core more. It does not make you weak or anything negative. Anyone who says otherwise knows nothing and shouldn't be handing out advice

If you don't use a belt you might get a hernia.

so if it activates your core more it makes it stronger?

>Are you cheating if you use a belt?
Accordingly to literally objective standard that actually matters to lifters, no

>Do belts help at all with lower back safety?
There haven't been any studies on that, the closest we have are studies done on industrial workers that carry heavy loads, and they mostly find little to no benefit

Source: strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

How can you call it objective?

By reading and understanding the facts.

Give me the source of the facts of an objective standard in regards to belt use.

Do your own homework.

I will by reading what you can provide me.

I'm talking about use in powerlifting, strongman, oly lifting, even fucking crossfit. These are the only standards that are objective and that matter

Ah. So, you can only give me interpretations, not objective evidence?

3/10 good troll attempt, needs more work.

Are you asking me to hand you a peer-rewied master's thesis in the implications of belt usage? Fuck off

Objective: Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic
Feds are objective about usage of belts because they're not motivated my emotions or personal prejudices. The federations' opinions are also the only ones that matter because feds hand and championships and track performance, gymbros on instagram that comment ''lmao weight belts are for fucking twinks'' are most definitely influenced by prejudice and emotion and their opinion has absolutely zero significance.

>hand and championships
hand out championships

>Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic

t. grade schooler

Surely you can do better than that.

I don't even know what you're complaining about now. I copy-pasted the definition into my post, but if you want to be such an insufferable faggot go ahead

Congrats, you would have been stronger now if you had used a belt.

>t. 455 squat, 585 deadlift

This. Your lower back isn't the sole problem, It's the fact you didn't train your core with compounds and you can't keep tight now. Train core and all your problems will magically disappear

Does anyone else automatically assume people and lying when they use numbers like this? 400lb squat, as in you actually load 3 45s, a 25, a 10, a 5 and a 2.5 per side? Deadlift 5 45s and a 2.5?

I was being general, I've lifted over 500 but not by much, saying I deadlift 500 sounds better than saying 515, no one cares about the 15

I would be lifting more if I upped the test/ deca and didn't care about being fat, usually I start bulking, lifts go up but around 15% bf I start feeling disgusting, switch to tren/test and cut down to 10 percent. I just can't do the fat power lifter thing

Anyways pic related: me deadlifting 495 for reps toward the end of my last bulk

I'd hate to weigh 180-200lbs and only be able to DL 500lbs.

Wtf, those aren't even natty stats? Get your shit together.

>pro tip:
Fix your grip and stance. Both are too wide.

>can't deadlift 5pl8 or squat 4 natty
srs embarassing for you Tbh famalam

wow reddit the post

yeah having your dead be more than twice your bodyweight is awful :^)

belts are for pussies

>i am uneducated

>I like to belt myself up like a bdsm enthusiast and squat on dicks

Those may not be natty stats but boy that back sure as shit is

Also 400/500 squat/deadlift is probably 1/50k population, 1/5k regular gym goers of similar age, gender, and size

I have been going to gyms for 5 years. I have never once seen a deadlift over 450 or squat over 375, natty or juicing.

>reach 415 squat at 185 in exactly 22 months from couch potato and doing bar
>see these comments
Is this what happens when you lift in a commercial gym and keep thinking you're a big fish for squatting 2pl8?

This and only this. Rest of you are uninformed.

I've almost reached those stats weighing 175 a few years ago when I was into lifting. Never once had access to steroids. Not sure how you think this is impressive for being on steroids.

I've never touched a belt yet and I've been lifting for 2 years now. I'm at 505 squat and 505 diddy. I feel like not using a belt has made my core and back very strong but I also feel like I should start using one. The only reason I feel like I should start using one is that the weights are getting pretty heavy, but other than that it's not like I feel like I need one to keep my core stabilized or to brace against.

Would it hamper me if I started using one?

>Goes to a gym with weak people at it
>Thus my unimpressive lifts while riding the bike become impressive

belts dont make your core weak, in fact studies have shown they can actually increase activation in that area
belts help you lift more, making your gains increase
although there isnt really any research on this, belts are claimed to help with safety

the only issue you can have with a belt is adopting it as a crutch

most lifters, even newish lifters can use a belt most of the time and never seen any detriments that people often attribute

i recommend, if you are new, spending a few months on working on your form for the main lifts before you use a belt, but after that, go for gold, there are virtually no cons