DEADLIFTS

Deadlifts don't build overall mass. They are literally useless for overall hypertrophy

t. forearmlet

>shows a guy doing a deadlift looking 99% better then all of Veeky Forums

Yes they do. No they arent

Deadlifts do build mass, it's just that the gains you get from it aren't as clearly noticeable like they are from say barbell curls where it's specific to 1 muscle.

Deadlifting brings up a lot of those muscles you don't know exist, which helps develop a more symmetrical physique.

What I can say for sure is that my lower back, hamstrings, glutes and other weird tiny muscles in my back that I didn't even know existed have all come up because of deadlifting.

Also - I notice that my arms, chest and traps also get a pump when I'm deadlifting, so something is going on there as well.

Let's review the facts:

>sufficient tension in a muscle + progressive overload = muscle gain
>the deadlift puts tension on a lot of muscle
>the deadlift allows one to handle large poundages, which makes it easier to achieve continued progressive overload

Conclusion: the deadlift can be used to build overall muscle hypertrophy well.

I'm not saying it's a magic exercise.
I'm not saying everybody should be doing it.
I'm not saying it can't be risky.
I'm not saying there might not be better alternatives.

But let's accept to the facts.

Why the hell is everyone replying to this obvious b8?

thats like 90% of the board

there's gotta be an easier more efficient way if u want big forearms

Also.

I would argue that deadlifting is 100% required because there's nothing out there that can replace deadlifts in regards to purely muscular development.

Squats on the other hand (FOR MUSCULAR GAINS SAKE) can be easily replaced with a Leg-Press. Meanwhile, there is no replacement lift for a deadlift, period.

Definitely the worst movement pattern squats pressing and rowing are all so much better I hate this shit.

It's true, I deadlifted once and they expelled me from both the college gym and later the college itself because of it.

In hindsight I should have never even attempted the deadlift. Once you go over 245 lbs it's dangerous for your back yo.

There are absolutely ways to replace the deadlift, maybe not in a single movement but I would argue you really can't replace the squat with a leg press and get all the same benefits either considering your back and core is completely taken out of it.

>Deadlift replacement
Hamstring curls?

>Squat replacement
Leg Press

See the difference, at least the Leg Press can be overloaded like crazy, the Hamstring curl is limited.

There is NO single HEAVY pulling lift to replace the deadlift, but there is a HEAVY pushing lift to replace the squat.

You could replace deadlifts for rack pulls.
Deadlifts with a controlled down phase will build mass in you posterior chain like no other exercises.

You don't get hamstrings working on rackpull..........

Hamstrings are really the main purpose of a deadlift, such as the squats are to the quadricep.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

Rack pulls are designed to help with deadlift lockout not build mass

Hahahahhahahahahahaahahahahahha

Fucking newbies

Rack pulls m8

rack pulls don't include the hamstring in the lift.......the whole purpose of a deadlift is to train your hamstrings with a super heavy weight....

I am a recovering skeleton and personally I credit the deadlift for the biggest chunk of my gains, got long legs arms and a short torso so I can deadlift a lot, made my back, traps, forearms, legs and ass blow up, god bless the king of all exercises.

For sure but will it ever be as fun as hitting a deadlift pr ?

Rack pulls allow you to reap the benefits of deadlifts without too much of the negatives. I do rack pulls not to work my legs because I'm not a skinny dyel, I do them for lower back and core strengthening

Not that guy, but rackpulls aren't just rackpulls. Depending on individual body proportions, many people do blockpulls/rackpulls from right below the knee as a way to eliminate quad involvement and make it a pure hip hinge movement with emphasis on hamstrings i.e. you start with a horizontal trunk.

On a related note, when I say "deadlift", I personally am including all variations such as sumo, RDLs, rackpulls, deficit, snatch grip etc.

GHR and rack pulls at the knee

There's more to the squat than just legs man

The prime mover in a squat is the quadricep.

The prime mover in a deadlift is the hamstring.

The purpose of each movement is to be able to use a very heavy weight with those 2 muscles being the prime movers of the lifts.

There is no machine or exercise that can replicate a deadlift by loading a huge amount of weight on the hamstring, but the leg press can do this very well for the squat since the quadricep is the prime mover on the leg press and heavy weight can be used.

Girls just care about arms and chest, you fucking faggot.

I've been lifting for 6 years. If I was lifting for girls I'd have quit in my 1st year.

Weighted GHR with a bar in hand. I guarantee you could barely move half your deadlift on that shit.

No exercise is irreplaceable.

When I go heavy I notice that my knees start buckling. What exercises should I do to fix this? What muscles are under-developed?

Caving inwards?

Unironically those gay machines you see women use where you open and close your legs

Yeah caving inwards. Same thing happens with squatting heavy, it's just not nearly as pronounced

Thank user, I'll check out that machine

Girls just care about HEIGHT FACE FRAME though unironically.

Seriously if you are working your biceps for girls, just kill yourself m8

You don't really "replace" a lift with 5 different isolational movements

leg press doesn't replace squats dipshit
Hell its more like Deadlifts can replace squats

I deadlift because it is fun to lift weights in that manner.

Keep telling yourself that

>the unaesthetic nerd who can't DL taking his frustrations out anonymously

lmao

the prime mover in moth is the glutes, what are you smoking?

I got my deadlift from 1 plate to 4.5 plate and it did nothing for my physique

everything builds mass when you are on juice. even sitting on your ass will build more mass than those who train 3x/week

Sure go ahead be the weird looking chicken leg dude, that'll get you a lot of girls

anyone who says deadlifts dont build mass is a retard, it just doesnt build mass in the places you gymcels want it to build

deadlifts beef up your legs, lowerback, lats, upper traps/rhomboids area, and forearms

Chances are you stand too wide

Daily reminder that these are the forearm gains you can expect with training deadlifts religiously

And this is what you get from doing wrist rollers

Reminder that Isley, the guy in the pic, has really really long arms and his arms will always look skinny

>ever going near a double-jointing machine
hahahaha no.

So what the fuck do I do for forearms if I have long arms

You should only be doing deadlifts if you plan on competing on them.

You won't get close to fatiguing all the muscles involved enough to induce optimal hypertrophy before form breaks down with deadlifts.

Steroids

all roiders have big forearms, even the ones with long arms

Deadlift and dont listen to that manlet faggot lifting is easier for manlets but they can never go Greek-God mode just short goon mode.

reminder that the ancient greeks were 5'3 on average

>Everyone who DLs end up hurting themselves with lower back issues or major injuries
Its just not worth it. You can easily replace it with a couple of other exercises

Except for forearms, hamstrings, lower back, quads, traps...

t.manlet

Looks like a fucking nutsack

Want to look good naked? Try deadlifts.

Dead lifts are stupid. Oh look you can squat over 400 lbs once Congrats.

Crappy bait. But didly does suck

how do you even wrist roll properly? arms straight out or down by sides? how many sets/reps?

It's a little more complicated than that.
The quadriceps, adductors, glutes and hamstrings all contribute significantly to moving the weight.

Leg curls, with a machine or bodyweight, can load the hamstrings just as hard as deadlifts.
Leg extensions can load the quadriceps just as hard as squats.
They can even load the rectus femoris better than squats because there's no hip extension component.

The reason why squats and deadlifts are so popular is because they're efficient.
You can work a lot of different muscles to a high degree with just one exercise.

I like deadlifts because they make my back feel good. If I don't deadlift for a while my back feels bad. If I deadlift a weight that makes my back feel bad it's too much and I lower it for that session.

Essentially, deadlifts just make me feel healthier.

They make muh dick big.

>Greek God mode

Your advice is to do deadlifts anyway?? Or is your advice to meme the feels away and cope my way to being muscular?

>all thhe butthurt ripptards itt
deadlifts have been scientifically researched and found to be a meme, ie contribute very little to muscle development compared to traditional bodybuilding exercises. you all fell for a meme and refuse to acknowledge it
>inb4 hurr twink
i'm probably much bigger than you and i pull 4 plates twice a week just because it's fun

EVERY TIME I do wrist rollers I get laughed at

someone even told me "that's the strangest thing i've seen someone do in a gym"

t. delusional curlbro

Girls are about glutes, abs and vascularity on forearms

You sir know zilch

I know if you want more hamstring work do rdls or leg curls.
Rack pulls focus on the erectors, traps as well as smaller back muscles.
>Rack pulls are designed to help with deadlift lockout not build mass
That is like saying bench lockouts doesn't build mass in tricepts.

Make your own roller and do them at home, problem solved.

t. someone who's never fapped

it's all about confidence you stupid nigger, how do you explain dyel get laid otherwise? do a reality check

Also try to actively force your knees out as you descend when squatting.

You can replace it pretty easily in two you wouldn't need 5.

Agreed.
The high I get after a deadlift sessions beats almost anything else.

Enjoy having no glutes (the most important muscle for general athleticism and a balanced silhouette)

Girls care about you looking good. Chicken legs look shitty.

Holy fucking shit

I can't deadlift frequently enough to make it worthwhile and it fatigues me for so long that my lifts suffer for days after doing it. Furthermore it's too easy to make a tiny mistake and visit snap city from the deadlift position. If you're not like me more power to you keep deadlifting.

What are roids?

>Mfw when natty and have seen so much gains due to diddylifts
maybe you pussies aren't lifting heavy enough?

Guys,

CAN I OR CAN I NOT DEADLIFT IN OLY SHOES?

I have pretty bad ankle mobility (bone impacting bone) so I can get my knees out maybe only an inch or so.
I use the shoes for squats, bench, even ohp, etc. because they help me feel grounded and give me that little extra *pow*.

I'm not a powerlifter if that helps.

>CAN I OR CAN I NOT DEADLIFT IN OLY SHOES?

How could you possibly not?

t. gorilla with a concave ass

I pull 455 for reps and what kills after each deadlift set are my quads and glutes.

the hookers i've been with always compliment my ass and make fun of guys with chicken legs.

>How could you possibly not?
"""Muh knees"""

You absolutely can. This whole obsession with barefoot deadlifting is stupid. Yeah, getting 3/4 inch closer to the floor will help pulling your 3 pl8 diddly, of course it will.

>Unironically those gay machines you see women use where you open and close your legs
Good girl / bad girl machines

>244 lbs
Ah wheeeee my back feels so good and fresh

>246 lbs
OH FUCK THE AGONY IS TOO MUCH TO ENDURE

Roids, or anabolic steroids are chemicals that replicate the androgenic and anabolic effects of testosterone
You can use google next time faggot

>getting 3/4 inch closer

it's probably more like less than 1/4 inch

You can actually just fix it with squats.

You might have weak external rotators, so if you bring the weight back down lighter and work your way up again it should help. Otherwise you can do sets with a band around your knees. The band pulls your knees in so you have to consciously work against it. It acts as a reminder so you don't let them cave in on their own.

Fuck you