Gym Etiquette

> going gym for first time next week
> what are somethings I should be aware of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TnNYTMExApI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just tidy up after yourself, wipe down anything you sweat on and you should be fine

Just follow your routine, don't try to lift heavy to begin with, just get used to doing the exercises with proper form. Don't forget to tip the receptionist. Don't worry, most people don't care about you so don't worry about embarrassing yourself.

Dont forget to tip the receptionist

people are mostly there to get in, work out, and get the fuck out. Few come to the gym for their socialization, and if they do, it will be obvious that is what they want. so don't walk around introducing yourself to everyone like you're the new member to the neighborhood
Wear proper cloths, leave your jeans and polo shirt at home pajeet, leave the ultra thin stinger at home randy, wear normal gym cloths ya cunt.
always tip the receptionist unless you wanna be on their bad side
wipe your sweat away you gross cunt
rerack your weight you cunt
use areas for what they are for. there are only two things you can do in a squat rack, squat and OHP if there is no other stands for OHPing
stay by your workout area if you aren't done. ain't nobody know you still got 4 sets left when you get up to go to the water fountain.

Do NOT approach the bench.

Anyone ever got a staph infection from the gym?

1. Always put away shit when you're done using it
2. If your sweat is on the benches, whatever, use your towel and wipe it off
3. Don't endanger people around yourself with meme exercises

If you use benches or jumping boxes as table for your stuff, I will wait for you in the afterlife, drag you into hell with me, and then let you relive all your gym days after I've pissed in your water bottle.

And that counts for ALL of you. Fight me.

If you spot an alpha male coming for the rack vacate the premises

If you are asking that question you should prob look into what going to a gym is like a bit more.

Do not over do it. Take it slow and get a feel for things. If you start to feel sick don't panic that's normal, just stop and end ur workout.

Just stepping inside is more than half the battle.

Fuck you. Jumping boxes are nothing more than water bottle tables.

this.

also wipe down the squat plugs after your done. it's called being polite. if you haven't used one before, ask at the front desk.

what do you even mean

just ask people to move their shit.... or put it on the floor urself. Don't be autistic about it.

Do not go anywhere near the bench press, avoid it like a black plague. It is not for you.

You should be aware that you used green text inappropriately. That violates Veeky Forums etiquette.

you are grossly overthinking this. you asking about etiquite shows you are a decent courteous person which cannot be said about 80% of most gym populations. You have nothing to worry about, as long as youve researched the lifts you want to do (proper form knowledge etc) you will be fine.

>don't be a poofta
>nobody will laugh at you for being weak
>everyone will laugh at you if you're still weak after six months
>if you use a piece of equipment, put it back in its place when you're done
>don't spot people unless they ask you to
>if they ask you and you're not sure, ask for clarifications on how to do it right
>do not ever give advice to people unless they are doing something life threateningly stupid or they explicitly requested your advice

>I will wait for you in the afterlife, drag you into hell with me, and then let you relive all your gym days after I've pissed in your water bottle.

Alternatively you could just ask them to move their stuff. I dunno which is easier.

u tip the receptionist?? fucking murica lmao

Tip? You have to tip everyone you turn up to the gym? Is that just an American thing? Sounds like the gym could get pretty expensive

Ukfag here, tipping the receptionist here would be weird

>Guy puts mobile and water on bench as it was empty
>I come in intending to use bench
>They move it
It's that simple
Hell I told guys to get off the bench themselves since they were using it as a place to rest between sets. btw i'm a 5'7 manlet so it's not like i'm intimidating so if I can do it so can you.

If you're 6'0 or below, watch out for the Manlet-Hunters. They use womanlets to attract you and then throw you into the manlet pit.

I've been there and, believe me, you will never be the same person if you manage to escape.

>don't spot people unless they ask you to
>if they ask you and you're not sure, ask for clarifications on how to do it right
Please also read up on spotting etiquette I really don't want you hovering around the bar or touching it, it's mainly old guys but I swear to god they always have their balls 1cm away from my face when I ask them for a spot.

Do OHP in the squat rack as much as possible.

I will never ever tip a receptionist.

>I really don't want you hovering around the bar or touching it,
no, you ask them how they want you to spot
>it's mainly old guys but I swear to god they always have their balls 1cm away from my face
yeah that's definitely not nice

Clap when someone finishes their set.

Make sure you tip the receptionist, and if you want to borrow someone's squat plug make sure to ask them once they've finished their set

Watch out for the manlet pit, unless you're under 5"10 in which case you should inform the receptionist before you tip her and she will place you in the manlet pit herself

Wipe sweat
Don't give advice
Tip the receptionist
Wear proper clothes
Rerack weights

These are the basics. Follow this and you'll do find

I usually tip 10% of monthly membership to the receptionist.

When someone is struggling with a lift, stand behind them and encourage them. Maybe even pat them on the back. This is just good gym etiquette and you'll make lots of friends.

>Under 5'10

It's under 6', get back in the fucking pit twerp

Rude

>you'll do find

Find what?

>put it on the floor
for real, man, i won't get pissed that you moved my shit. people are more cooperative than you'd think

>next week
never going to make it

Unload the plates on at the time or one side will fly off.

If you're going to use a treadmill make sure you warm it up properly first - run it up to full speed for a good 10 seconds without being on it - you don't want to discover halfway through that the belt sticks trust me, you'll get catapulted. Additionally if you are going to be using the free weights make sure you bring the correct change for the plate dispenser, it's incredibly rude to ask another member to bail you out, no one likes to carry around excess coins - don't be that guy.

>tipping the receptionist
This is one of the most retarded things I've read in this thread.

the bench will approach you

My dad used to run a free HIIT class at the local gym/community centre about 5 years ago, he was/is really into lifting too. He got necrotising fasciitis. We were told his chances weren't good and he was likely going to die then and there but he pulled through, the doctors said because he was so healthy/fit it contributed to that.

Hygiene and wound care are important, even insect bites and small sores can lead to a bad infection, especially in the gym or around weights where bacteria gathers. My dad's case was a rarity so don't freak out, just look after yourself.

When you hit the showers and are in the changing stall leave the door unlocked. That way gay guys can walk up and see your naked body.

Also leave your already too small shower curtain pulled to one side so we can see your dick as we walk by.

Why are you surprised? This board is a joke ala /pol/.
>that godawful sticky is unironically still up
Wew

Make sure to wear compression shorts with nothing on top of them so everyone can see your exercise-shrunken pecker

Never curl in the squat rack.

am I the only one who doesn't tip the receptionist anymore? I did up until this one that works at my gym didn't use gloves when she cleaned my penis and I felt like that was a health violation

Don't wear headphones or earbuds. Sure sign of an insecure pleb for a number of reasons. Makes you appear introverted and reserved and people will dislike you for being less approachable if they need to work in. Also you don't concentrate as well on your lifts when you have your balance all fucked off from having music blasted in your ear. Hearing is essential to balance.

Same goes with glasses if you wear them take them off for your heavy lifts. Get confidence from looking around at people in the gym blind as fuck not knowing if they hating or mirin.

lolwut?

citation needed

a certain place in hell are for those people

your gains son

>Makes you appear introverted and reserved and people will dislike you for being less approachable if they need to work in.

Who gives a shit what other people think about you, the gym is to lift, everything else outside.

>Caring what other people think.
>Letting people work in
>You can't balance and listen to music at the same time, but you should totally try lifting blind.

This post is possible the worst thing ever produced in the English language.

youtube.com/watch?v=TnNYTMExApI

wipe down equipment you sweat on
put weights back where you found them, or in their proper place
if someone is using a piece of equipment next to the one you want to use, ask to see if it is already being used
don't be afraid to ask to work in sets, if the gym is really busy it isn't a big deal
don't horde stacks of dumbbells like a douchebag
don't judge others because they probably aren't judging you...nobody really cares they are all just trying to get their workout in

Ignore the rest of these faggots OP, they're just trying to dupe you on your first day.

Here's what you've got to know and do 1/2:

- bring plenty of loose change for tipping the receptionist and for using the plate dispensers
- invest in your own squat plug once you've been going for a couple of months, but you can borrow one from reception if you're just starting out. You may need help sizing at first and always make sure to wash it before returning.
- if you smoke make sure you use the ashtray in the squat rack, don't want cigarette ash and butts littering the floor of the gym
- if you're unsure what a machine does or how to operate a piece of equipment just climb on and guess. Do not ask anyone and definitely do not bother reading the easy to understand diagrams and instructions undoubtedly next to it. Reading is for faggots.
- if you're using a piece of equipment and someone asks how many sets you've got left always tell them at least 10. Never offer to let someone work in with you either - ain't got time to be changing weights and shit around.

2/2

- if you're waiting to use a piece of equipment and someone else is currently on it, make sure once having asked how much longer they have to go that you remain close by and stare at the person working out. This way you won't miss your chance to use it and the person won't forget you're waiting.
- when using a piece of equipment or a machine, make sure that you maintain eye contact with the nearest person at all times. This is basic gym etiquette
- if possible, try to monopolise as many individual pieces of equipment as possible to maximise workout efficiency. This is known as supersetting and is the key to easy gains. If someone attempts to use a piece of equipment that is in your superset (ideally you want about 10 exercises on the go at once, spread throughout the gym and utilising all the stuff that's in high demand.) you are obliged to go over and noisily exclaim that you're still using it.
- never remove plates from bars or return pieces of equipment once you're done. That's what you pay your gym membership fee for and you're keeping all those gym staff in employment. If everyone cleaned up after themselves, you wouldn't need gym staff.
- lastly, prior to workout make sure to go sit behind the cardio bunnies for 10 minutes and rub your thighs to build up test levels for a more explosive workout.

allways bring your own microplates, the rest will settle itself. trust me on this.

You gonna sneak up to that shit

>tipping the receptionist
I know you're not joking and I hope that America crumbles to the ground faster than expected.

>don't be autistic about things, don't be embarassed about yourself, you're here for the first time
>don't put too much weight initially
>learn technique, either ask or watch videos
>wear gym clothes/sportswear
>have fun