Bread!

How did they make bread in the good ole days where wheat was the staple?

Depends on the culture in question, but generally if unleavened, something like mixing with water and oil and making a flatbread to bake or grill.

If leavened, then made in a variety of ovens.

And wheat wasn't ubiquitous or the only staple grain btw.

wheat is still the staple

Usually you mix flour and water, then you throw it in the oven. Have you never made bread before?

I’d like today which were the first cultures in Europe to make bread ovens

Must have sucked having to deal with wheat instead of simply having potatoes.

>not making sourdough

>mix flour and water
>then don't put it in the oven quite yet

First guy to make bread must have been fucking ecstatic though

Anthropologists think it was invented by accident.
>Me Grug
>Me make porridge.
>Me forget porridge over fire.
>Why porridge hard???
>Oh, I can still eat it.

That's it?

Have to let it develop of culture for it to be nice.

Porridge will not turn into bread no matter how long you leave it over fire.

When did bread get good?

More or less, there are tonnes of small variations to make different kinds of bread (with or without yeast, how you cook it, what sort of grains you use, other additions) but it all comes down to that essentially.

Their ideas, not mine.

Define "good" - bread was pretty much just bread for millennia, there were variations in size, shape, sweetness, grains, and the quality of the milling, but the variations were mostly localized until the industrial revolution. Bread didn't really change much until the 1860-1960 period, when scientific advances allowed for bread to be made more quickly and cheaper with machines, "baker's yeast," and things like the Chorleywood process. The ongoing trend of fondness for "artisan" bread began with the 1970's era reaction against the pillowy, bland, sweet, and arguably less healthy factory-produced bread that had become commonplace.

Women used to make bread using the yeast from their vagina

You had to make me fucking gag user fuck you

Tell me more

Bread has been basically the same since the beginning

They're different strains of yeast. Also, in theory even if you could leaven bread with vaginal yeasts, you'd have to allow the yeast to grow into a sourdough culture first, and by the time the levain was ready for use in bread, any bodily fluids initially present would be diluted to the point of being complete undetectable.

Not that you'd ever need extra yeast to build a natural levain anyways, flour comes from the mill with yeast spores naturally present - just add water and give them the right conditions and they'll grow.
>t. bakefag