College major/jobs

So what does Veeky Forums do ?
Ive been going to college for about week now. My schedule is pretty down, I haven't missed a lift day yet and I don't plan to. It helps that i've given up drugs.

Im majoring in bio and trying to be an MD
Ive decided that medical is the chadiest field

it would be a fantasy of mine to be a ripped doctor
song related youtube.com/watch?v=5hUYYAFbd4E

M.D. in 6 months, nearly graduated will become a urologist hopefully.

about to start a phd program in econometrics. hoping to work at a hedge fund or investment bank as a quant.
>tfw nerds and foreigners intimidated by my physique
>feelsgoodman

Finishing Accounting BA in December...considering law school for Estate/Tax Planning....Good idea/bad idea?

Getting my MS in electrical engineering specializing in antenna theory and electromagnetics

full time NEET

Mechanical Engineer with minor in Geology. Plan to work in the oil or mining field. Preferably oil.

> BS Biotechnology, Chem and Human Phys minors (3.7)
> Got into research, loved it
> 1 coauthor and another in the works from undergrad
> Want to get into immunology phd program
> Currently working as a cell culture associate at a biotech company

Question for anyone in science. My current job doesn't have any chance of more publications, but it makes better money than most research positions. What are my chances of getting into a PhD program at a mid-top tier university with 2 years at this biotech company? vs. finding a research job and having another 2 years of research?

calm down

wut

do yourself a favor, from one pre-med to another, and refrain from calling yourself a med school hopeful until you get an MCAT score. every joe-blow and his mother wants to be a fucking MD, you gotta earn that shit the hard way

good idea, finance industry is growing quickly for next few years. You should find stable employment with a CFP, CFA, etc.

Almost every pre-med student I've met was gay or closeted, a good amount had aspergers too.
I'm assuming you're not just "bio", because that really isn't enough.
Get at least a 3.7 gpa, don't get a C in any major class, and study for that MCAT like it's a fulltime job for months and months.

I'm just about to head into grad school so I'm not sure, most undergraduates don't have publications before grad school and a lot don't have any during either.
I'm a geo fag but I checked out a lot of grad students at the universities I'm looking at and usually only half have any pubs and it's usually foreigners that do.
From my research, and talk from profs and advisors, it's pretty much
>GRE and GPA are just screens
>letters of rec, research, and statement of purpose matter
Remember you are pretty much working for an advisor for 3-4 years so how you get along with them and how interested you are in their research are really important.
I would just apply while still working and see what happens.

I just quit an assistant directorship at the local uni to go be a golf course greenskeeper on Monday. YOLO.

was a history major in college, now I'm doing an MPH.

Don't be the guy who calls themselves premed a week in, ~80-90% of you will not be.

border patrol

If you want to make a ton of cash, want to be strong as fuck and have a cool guy job thats prettt easy, be a heavy duty mechanic

automotive is for cucks

Residency blows
>tfw attending in 9 months

Nothing good man. I got a bachlor's degree in a business field. Moved to a city that focuses on it and haven't been able to get a job in that field other than "temp" work through staffing agencies. I stopped doing temp work and just got a 8-4 in a mail order pharmacy, pays more, the work is so simple and the benefits are actually fairly nice.

Course, my degree is worthless and was 30k wasted until I can actually get a job in the field.

I know a lot of people who didn't end up working in their field and wound up happy and fulfilled.

Don't quit looking, but there are worse things than to end up wasting that time and money and still finding a way to fall ass backwards into a stable job.

I'm a PGY 2 peds resident. Going into Peds Crit care and will probably do a year in SCC or Cards, not sure.

I'm okay with not working in my field. Finance was never that interesting to me to begin with, but I got the degree, helped out my family with their business and moved across the country to the city that chimes about how they're the capital of finance.

I don't want a stable job. I want a career. Even at the mail order pharmacy, it's still a simple, stable 38k a year position. Many would like it. But it's far from a career. If you want to become a pharmacy, that's another 4-5 years of pharmacy school and 140k for that degree.

I'm just about open to any field of work these days as long as there's a career path I can follow in it.

I'm in a top 25 USMD medical school (just got a motherfucking 100% back on a weekly assessment fuck yes) and it's not like you're thinking. Or it isn't if you're thinking of it like most people do. And I'm reading your OP and it makes me think that you don't have a realistic idea of the field.

It's rewarding though. You're going to have to let go of your ideas of social hierarchy if you want to have a good time. You've also got to be able to take bullshit on the chin from attendings and pts and bullshit lectures and arbitrary testing standards.

It's sort of like a service industry job + actual power in the employer/employee dynamic and a lot of technical knowledge. And higher stakes.

Good luck OP

You don't have to go that hard on the MCAT to do well.

If you've got to study like it's a fulltime job for 510+ you're going to be miserable in medical school. it will be above your head 80% of the time.

Yeah I guess pharma isn't a great example here because of all the school involved.

I guess I meant "fall ass backwards into a stable career", I think you've got a good thing going; something stable to keep the lights on while you search for something more appealing and long-term.

Why no CPA exam? I'm literally studying for it right now and it seems like a good way to go so far.

Not a med student so I'm just spreading shit I've heard from pre-med seniors getting into medschool.
I've always thought they went too hard and stressed themselves out far more than necessary, I've seen girls cry at getting 8/10 on a weekly quiz before.

Doing project management, any tips?
Hope to go into construction and then possibly finance

Lol what medical school has graded "weekly assignments". Cmon bro. Not fooling anyone

Majored in comp sci, hated it, was depressed and drank heavily all the time.

then i got fit and now Im manager of a lumber store. not bad. i can tell qts im a lumberjack

Undergrad in CS, lazy af, never going to lectures and still doing better than many.

I don't love accounting. Tax doesn't bother me but balance sheets and income statements, meh.

Also tax attorneys make a killing $$$. When a tax matter gets too complicated for a CPA he calls a tax JD.

Haha I appreciate your mission. Yeah the shittiness of premeds made me really doubt whether I should enter this field, thank god they don't accept anyone who comes across like "cries at getting an 8/10 on a weekly quiz."

I mean you can bullshit your way through a DO interview but you can't a midlevel MD and up in my opinion. They recruit assholes from the hospital to be rude or invasive and put interviewees on their heels and see how they react. They'll give you bullshit tasks and see how you do them with a sense of humor. It's a sound process.

And once you're here it's a whole different ballgame. Like imagine those girls crying at an 8/10 (who I fucking hated dealing with and practically turned me into a recluse from pre-medicine clubs and volunteering in my premed years), and imagine the type of dr you'd want to have. Huge contrast.

he was making sure his mom didnt get killed

Dental school is the better deal these days. No residency, straight to making 300k. It's way more expensive though, like 75k a year tuition, while med is 55k.

It's "competency based assessment" my brother.

dentists making 300K cracks me up. Try barely scraping 110 after a couple decades.

It is really easy work though.

Yeah if I had more time/opportunity I would have considered law school. I do know a family friend who is a dual CPA/estate planning lawyer and apparently he makes a killing and doesn't really do much although hes getting close to retirement.

Where the hell are they only making that much? With their own practice? You can drill teeth for one of those big shit dentist companies and they'll pay you big. They are shady though.

I'm exercise science and pre-med. Just started my junior year. Hoping for orthopedic surgery in sports medicine. Or I'll just do urology because of my last name. Currently work at our medical school's heart institute in metabolism and endocrinology.

CPA here

Personally taxes are lame as fuck. Busy a few months a year doing mind numbing fill-in-the-blanks bs returns.

I do regulatory reporting. But that is nothing but BS & Income statements....well 400+ pages of support for them, but same idea.

What like in mexico? I'm talking USD here.

I'm actually geochem so I had to deal with mostly premeds in chemistry, some were cool but the majority were awful.
I always assumed that the 4.0 students weren't going to make it because their study habits, while lengthy and dedicated they were not good.
I remember a couple premed students asking how long I studied for an organic chemistry exam, when I said 3 hours their jaws dropped.
"How do you remember every mechanism and reaction in only 3 hours!?".
They were memorizing every single fucking step in every reaction mechanism, instead of learning what made reactants react they just remembered it.
Took them 20+ hours to study for a single exam because they had no idea what understanding material was.
A girl was crying about a B+ on an exam and the prof replied "good, maybe if you fail a class in undergrad you won't kill yourself when you realize you can't be perfect in medschool".

A couple guys were chill and would study the right material and wouldn't have their ego shattered by a B+, I'm assuming they'll make it because a doctor isn't supposed to be that high strung.

>Or I'll just do urology because of my last name
please tell me it is Johnson.

Geochem. That's a field for actually intelligent people if I ever heard of one.

There's all kinds of doctors but the best ones work well on a team, are wrong ALL the time and fix themselves rather than tripping on ego (which kills pts all the time), and understand the value of competency over "authority."

Good docs are nonjudgmental and laid back. They take time and listen to people and don't judge. Pt tells you 80% of what you need to know when they first meet you.

A lot of the stick-up-ass premeds from my school went to first-year DO schools and I weep for their future patients. But they're gonna be doctors too so it's hard to talk about doctors like they're some kind of homogenous groups. When looking for a doc for yourself or someone you care about look for someone who went to a top residency. and don't go to anyone with a DO after their name unless they went to a legit residency, you can look up rank lists for specialty online.

I know a guy that went to a urologist named Dicktapper just because of his last name (I don't know how it's spelled but that's its pronunciation) even though there was another a lot closer. Unsurprisingly, he was the most successful urologist in the state.

Some premed students I know are intelligent but fucked up their freshman year so they are going DO, hope it works out for them.
Locally there's a surgeon who doesn't work with others and her kill rate is high even on normal operations, I've heard countless stories of her killing people for routine surgeries that no one ever dies from.
She is a lesbian/muslim/woman/autist so she is impervious to anything however.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about geochem or not but I do really like the people in it, it filters out the chemists who can't think conceptually and the geologists who can't do math or hard science.

I got a computer science degree and have a few years working as a software engineer in SF/Bay Area and Seattle. I make ~140K annual total comp and have standard 8 hour schedule and good work life balance.

My friend in medical school is on his 3rd year and stressing the fuck out because its hard as shit but I respect that. He'll make a lot more money than me when he is officially a doctor but the years of extra schooling plus residency is all >7 years of stress, loss of potential income, and heavy debt. I'd estimate that I'd be over a million dollars ahead of him before he actually gets a real salary.

The only thing I dislike about the software industry is that managers will try and take advantage of you if you let them so you need to put your foot down. Also, theres a lot of pajeets but they tend to stick to themselves and dont give a shit about you. I like my job but its mainly to make money so I can focus on other areas of my life that I enjoy.

Good luck still in school fags.

Nah i'm being serious. Good work on getting into a good specialized field.

If they're solid they'll go somewhere nice for rez

Industrial engineer, work for the government. Graduated 2 years ago. It's alright but I wish I had studied something else

Studying for nursing. Currently doing security work for a hotel to pay bills.

Maybe dont work for the government. They're slow and outdated as shit on their practices. Ive seen lots of engineers make career switches but its been mostly to software which is my field.

Microbiology major
Pre-pharmacy right now

Not 100% sure if I want to become a pharmacist or go to graduate school and specialize in medical microbiology and virology

Not doing taxes, as in returns, but like tax planning how to nest away savings for retirements and tuck it away in retirement vehicles to minimize taxes...shit like that interests me.

What do you think about going to law school for estate planning?

I did some AR/AP work (super basic acct. stuff I know) but cannot see myself staring at spreadsheets in a cubicle for 10 years. I'd much rather help rich folks hide their assets as best as possible.

Can you still get into an md if you fucked up freshman year but got straight As after that?

Lol i fucked around in college, skipping class to lift, fucked girls, fucked my frat brothers' girlfriends, fucked dudes wives, graduated with barley a 2.0

Now I make 70k in a cushy business job live alone and continue to do all of the above

And I'm bigger and more aesthetic than you faggots lol try hards

LOL you sound pretentious as fuck

Im a geophysicist. Calm down youre not that important LOL

Yeah they are, they just started doing shit now that Toyota was doing in the 70s and the rest of America was doing in the 90s. I partially took it because you can get student loan forgiveness working for the government and I've got like 100k in loans but I dunno if it's worth it

Different strokes for different blokes. Like a skilled hooker, we've all gotta do what makes us most satisfied.

who is this

looks just like my ex

now im sad

Maths teacher at private school (sixth form) in the UK

>£30,000 a year
>School gym is amazing and free
>8 week summer holiday, 3 weeks at christmas, 3 weeks at easter, 3 more 1 week half term breaks

so I only actually work 32 weeks a year

pretty natty job

plus around exam time I bump up my earnings with tutoring work

head of department earns like £80,000, and my kids if I have any get reduced fees, basically life on easy mode

MY man!

Masters in economics

Run a hedge fund, you see me on bloomberg and at Ira Sohn.

>What do you think about going to law school for estate planning?
CPA & law is going to do well regardless. Taxes, estates, business structures, buyouts, IPOs, mergers, financial contracts. Tons of shit

Depends a lot on what you want to do though. If I were going back it would be actuary.

One of them fucked up but did what you're saying and is getting in, he just explained to them he academically matured and he scored well enough on the MCAT.

I'm pretty important physcuck.

I'm a teacher. It's okay.

This STEM nerds always think its about grads, letters of rec and suck your profs dick for the recognition. Im about to finish undergrad and this shit is a cesspool of unaware and socially inept fucks.

When will you all realize that actually KNOWING people and CONNECTIONS is what makes shit happens

This user is doing it right

Doesnt that require 25 years working a gov job? I have friends who are high school teachers who decided to work in ghetto schools to get that loan forgiveness buts thats 25 years bro and you still have to pay interest on that 25 years. I dont know how much you're making but paying 100K if you live frugally should be doable in a lot less than 25 years.

How bad did he fuck up?

>If I were going back it would be actuary.
All that math....fuck that noise

NO i got out of the STEM and the meme degree and reading papers all fucking day and having to agree with your advisers. Got my degree and went else where. Graduate school is cuck especially working as a geochem. How's that lab treating you? No one gives a shit about your fancy rocks or your shit research.

Became a cop, saw they had a science degree, got a cushy job. LOL cuck

Thinking about finance
High pay, easy to network, and a great head start in becoming an entrepreneur

Theatre degree. I genuinely cared once. I ended up focusing on light design and sound design.
Then it slowly dawns on me that I failed to develop the slightest lighting portfolio, so I may as well be untouchable now that I am a continent away from what few personal connections I could professionally leverage to work on a show.
Then it dawns on me that those skills are absolutely irrelevant, and don't translate at all to media production.
Age-old lesson learned the hard way. Do a major that you can leverage a job with, then follow some passion or interest after that.

Lifting helps. Lights and speakers don't carry themselves. Depending on the building, there's always some metal beam that you may as well use for pull-ups while you're in the catwalks.

This.
I graduated with an engineering degree and a good gpa, but I cant even find a job as a dishwasher let alone something in my field of study. I wish I spent more time networking. Im seriously considering selling all my shit and joining the army.

Better to ask the med people in here or better yet your advisor, tell the advisor you want it straight.
He got a couple B's and one C, he redid the C class and then got on the ball and got almost all A's for the rest of his undergrad and did plenty of research.

Seems like you got cucked because you didn't like being in a lab and reading papers.
>not fancy minerals
>caring about others opinions so much
On a real note I have a 7 hour lab this semester and a hour beforehand my 3 hour lab ends, it's actually pretty comfy.

Meh, I am pretty much autistic and work for a household name in technology while routinely getting scouted by jobs most folks would consider reasonably high profile.

It helps if you are actually worth a damn at something worth doing.

IT Project Manager here, specialize in customer implementations. Got laid off recently and am having more trouble with job applications than expected because I only have 2 years experience and most comparable jobs are requiring 3-5.
>at least I don't need a masters to get a PMP and move to a significantly higher salary
>got to fuck foreign girls on company paid business trips

Overall not a bad career, but can be pretty stressful

>Thinking about finance
Hopefully you go to a Really good school, or a really big state school with a giant alumni recruiting pool.

Broscience, PhD.

This is my dream too user, I've always wanted to do investment banking. I'm double majoring in business and math hoping to work on wall street. Going to top 20, hoping to transfer to ivy for undergrad to live the bateman life. If I don't get any offers for IB though in senior year, I'll have to go to law school and do biglaw, and if I do get an offer at a bank, I'll just differ from LS. But finance is truly the most patrician career user

this is the way to do it

I do
My school even has one of those trading floors with all the stocks flying by and stuff
> I'm a freshman don't judge

Ivy schools are really expensive man
I could get it but idk

Do you need any interns?

PhD student in a mediocre materials science program at a mediocre school. I'm honestly not sure why I thought this would be better than getting a job. I'm only limiting my options here, but the research is interesting I guess.

>Calls me a cuck
>"I have a 7 hour lab and an hour before my 3 hour lab ends"
>Still needs to take tests
>Still needs to study
>Still needs to check with advisers
>Still needs to make deadlines
>Still wants to aspire to be a MD after all this is over

Im the cuck? Yeah, you got me, Im the cuck.

You should go for it, they give pretty big scholarhsips. I applied in HS, but got rejected despite having near perfect SATs and all A's, so it's very competitive. However, just like with Veeky Forumsness, we can make gains, my softs and recs were weak, so this time around I'm planning on sucking more professor cock and starting a shitty business of my own as a resume builder and money maker. From what the guys on WSO say, ivy undergrad is not absolutely necessary but helps. I'd say go for it, but you can make it from a public too. We're all gonna make it brah.

ivy league schools are not expensive compared to other private schools

Graduated a few months ago with an information systems degree, been looking for a job since January. I've applied to 230 plus places and have done 7 in person interviews and I get told the same thing at every place "were looking for someone with more experience". I applied for 100 plus places for internships while in school and out of the two interviews for those didn't get either. I'm not even autistic or anything just no one is willing to give me a shot. Currently wagecucking in a grocery store a 1-2 days a week and doing random odd jobs in the trades. Fuck me I thought a degree and work ethic would be my ticket out of having to be a tradie or wage cuck loser.

Write some serious cover letters.
Challenge people in interviews with what you do know, and that you have enough experience.

First of all, don't just apply and just patiently wait for an interview. Remind them who you are, and that you're here for a job.

Granted, I hate writing cover letter too.
And more than half the time, people probably recognize them as the empty formality that they usually are.

Gather round travelers, and hear my sad story.
>be me
>homeschooled until 18
>no connections
>no friends
>haha user, you're 18 now, time to think about college ;)))
>no college fund
>no desire to take out a student loan

What in gods name can I possibly do to unfuck myself.

remember to put invisible keywords in your Resume if you're sending them digitally, once I put an invisible 'Harvard' on my Resume the responses started coming in quicker.

Chances are at most big companies a human doesn't even read these anymore, just uses a computer to scan them

>tfw the machines are taking over

What skills/interests do you have?

American? Join the military, learn a job/skill, begin to grow a personality, work on college (gen eds.) while on active duty, use GI Bill to finish your BA and go from there...

Apply for fafsa

>only option for a non-college grad in America is to become an expendable meat slab

I've tried everything, I don't just apply and wait I contact recruiters on linkedin or the people associated with the posting, I've reached out to family and parents friends, I've networked and had friends from school pass on my resume to managers, I've tweaked my resume like 30 times and I've basically come to the conclusion unless I get extremely lucky or run into someone who has a serious pull in a company that will vouche for me I'm not getting anything IT related without experience.
Good idea user, how did you sneak in the word harvard on your resume?

Degree in religious studies, now a pilot in the Air Force.
Don't worry kids, it doesn't matter what your degree is in.

How do you get shadowing opportunities? Do you just cold call the places?

Yup
Welcome to a world super power