youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
youtu.be/kv-qDcJRlWQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How far have you run this week?
4 miles yesterday. sucked
>What are you working on?
10 mile today
>How was your last run?
satans hairy ass crack. Hot, sweaty and something i would rather not encounter again
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
in the market for new shoes

>wide feet
>flat feet
>muh pronation

Where do i find a field full of qt runners

First run was today and I only ran 3 miles. Decided to /fat/ out to some McDonald's an hour before my run and knocked off 2 full miles.
APFT
>How was your last run?
Not counting today great, been making good progress
Bought a new smart scale, was like half off on amazon.

6 mile recovery run today at a 10min/mi pace. Tomorrow is intervals day.

fuck my intervals. Did some yesterday and fucked myself right up. Good speeds but not used to it. Pulled 7 miles today so far (not 10 as above). Feeling it.

>knee pain
>both knees
>foot pain
New gear Mizuno Wave Rider 20s
>pic related

Just did a 5k, pr'd at 22:40

Would like to do an 18 minute 5k by the end of the year and a 45 minute 10k

>How was your last run?

Just got back.

Nope, had the same Asics since 2015.

On that note I love how cheap it is to run. I like cycling better but the amount of gear you have to buy and then maintain is such a pain in the ass.

Bmp

It's Monday, so 3 miles.

Recovering from nerve pain and weak legs. Trying to get back into shape. 6 weeks back at it. Would be absolutely ecstatic if I came anywhere close to my PR in 5K or had my easy runs back at 6:40 pace.

>How was your last run?

Good. Dropped 7:35 last mile. Not very fast considering it was slightly downhill and a tough effort, but it's the fastest I've done on my runs so far.

Had a Garmin Forerunner 110 from 6 years ago. Used it for a month getting back into shape, then woke up one day to find the plastic disintegrated. Upgraded to the newer model of the Forerunner 35.

not far... but it's just monday.

trying to get faster, going to do half mile sprints, rest, then sprint again. see if that helps...

>How was your last run?
super slow, wasn't feelin' it today. had a heavy lunch weather was too hot. complain complain excuse excuse...

garmin 735 has been fun, got a 235 for my gf, she randomly asks what my heart rate is.

>she randomly asks what my heart rate is.
"The thing that increases when I see you, my darling."
>inb4 Garmin Penis gauge
>never mind the distance feel the girth dot jay peg

bump before bedtime.

Fuck this life. Finally the weather is perfect for running, and my leg is still acting out.

>tfw you accidentally pause workout tracking and only realise 15 mins later

>run/ walk on treadmill twice week for like 45min
>keep pulse around 150, constant speed, change from running to walking when I get much higher
>cant see any progress after 3 weeks
Any quick fixes for that?

Why would anyone do long distance running when HIIT is objectively better?

There's no quick way to improve and treadmill running in itself is easier as you make little forward effort.

Also don't be too religious about heart rate. And go outside!

Apples and oranges.

>there are runners who don’t do both
wewlad.com

I got the 20s when they first came out. Been running in mizunos for about 5 years. These are the best ones I've had.

finished week two of C25K. still feels bretty good.

Is strava the best app for tracking? I'm starting today and I want something that I can also use with my Mi Band.

Anyone slower on treadmill than on the road?

I run with my pup nearly every day, we do 2-4 miles depending on the weather and I usually average between 8-10 minute pace.

On the treadmill I run like 12 minute miles. It's definitely psychological, but I can't seem to kick it. I also fear tripping/slipping while on the treadmill which I feel slows me down.

Just came home from this run, I really feel that I'm getting in better and better shape could've done a few km's more.

Strava has all the basic info you'll care about. Depends how in depth you're going to analyze your data.

Same here. Running in the treadmill is a pain, and not only I go slower than on the road, but I also tend to run shorter distances because it's easier to just say screw it when you don't have to walk back

Would it be more efficient to run a fixed distance and try to lower the time, or run a fixed time and try to increase the distance?
Given that the aim is running 12minutes and atleast 2400 meter

>Not RIP David Torrence edition
I coach boys and girls high school cross country. If you have any questions I'll be lurking.

I thought maybe it was because it had better tracking or software. So I can be fine with Runtastic? I have the pro version and it seems to support the Mi Band

>Consistently been 110F last week and a half
>Coolest it gets at night is 80F
Fuck me brehs, i refuse to run on a treadmill.

neither. run longer. time shouldn't be a concern at this point in your training.

Strava has the autism group though :^)

I hate running. Apart from the 5 or so minutes of me really hitting my stride in a long run, everything else just sucks.

describe your long runs

Last run was 24km.
0-3km warming and getting a rhythm
4-10km normal pace
11-15km hit my stride. amazing
16-18km pain sets in
19-24km absolute torture

My absolute limit is around 28km I think but I don't think I want to find out.

I also can't get it right when it comes to my intake before runs. I run on an empty stomach because it gets upset easily but even then the meal from the might before fucks me over.

are you slowing down considerably after the mid point of your run or is it just painful?

Guys I'm doing SL 5x5, with 3x8 chin up accessory at the end of each workout.

I want to run on off days (tues, thurs, maybe some weekends)

I eat 3k calories a day. How far should I be running? I don't want my strength to decrease or anything. I'm incorporating the cardio to stay healthy and relieve DOMS n shit instead of foam rolling. I wanna run a marathon once a year too but competitively.

I'm not trying to put you down mate but an 18 minute 5k by the end of the year is a big ask going by your current time. It's probably achievable but it may take a bit longer. Also, if you can run an 18:00 5k then you should be looking at much faster than a 45:00 10k.

Train well and give yourself time and you can do it user.

fuck ITBS
FUCK ITBS
MY FUCKIN KNEES

Possibly because thy want to run far. Believe or not the best way to run further is to run further.

because i want to rape you in every race from 800m up

Just started running a month ago had runners knee tried pic related fucking work like wonders. Can't believe a single exercise can relive so much pain. Pic is slant board squat.

Bump

Shoe advice?
I'm going to start running on an outdoor track, Tartan(solid polyurethane), and the only running shoes I have are some old Adidas crosstrainers.
What shoes should I get, should I consider spikes if I'm not sprinting?

Should I time myself for an hour and just run and give it my all for that hour? Around a park local to me.

Run 1h at a comfortable speed. If you finish strongly, then you can probably run 4-5 times a week, and go directly into a half marathon or marathon plan.

sounds good man, did you see my original post as well?

Yeah, if you want decent times at a marathon you'll definitely have to run almost every day.
If you don't know where you're at in terms of running, but consider yourself pretty fit (good cardio and legs), then go for what I said.
Running can be tough on the legs at the beginning, so you can do c25k if all else fails.

His last run on Strava was "quarters of death". 2spooky4me

strava.com/activities/1155856620/pace-analysis

I've done a few 1.5 mile runs and got amazing times. Never done much long distance though.

>HIIT
>High Intensity Interval Training
Uhh, long distance runner do interval training all the time. Two big examples are hill sprints and 800m repeats.

>I coach boys and girls high school cross country
I'm thinking about maybe helping out with my old team, but don't have any previous xc coaching experience. Any suggestions for how I'd gain experience or what I should do to learn how to be an xc coach?

>STOP DOING WHAT YOU LIKE DOING!!!!

If I have to start work at 0730, is it wise to go for an hours run at 0530? Or will I just be fucked by the end of the day?

You'll feel more energized through the day

Looks and sounds like someone is going too strong/fast at the front of the run.
The phrases:
>normal pace
>hitting my stride. amazing
Slow it down further

And mix up the run fuel. I literally just run on hardtack/dry biscuits.

But fuelling in general is a matter of preference. Mix it up. Me? Rice, potatoes, green veg, pancakes (made with flour and besan and water) limited protein (it gives out mucho gases). Post run is breads but those suck as a run refuel thing really.

See what works best. If you find it too tiring then try it after work.

any decent headphones for running?

>how far have you run this week
14.5 miles, aiming for 55
>What are you working on
XC Season, have a 3000m scrimmage Friday
>How was your last run
Alright, nothing too special. Some was good, some was bad
>Any new gear you've been enjoying
USATF Duffel bag. Actually having a large duffel bag to fit stuff in is amazing

What's a respectable 5 mile time for someone who thinks he has decent conditioning?

Probably around 40 minutes? That's 8 minute miles.

I'd say closer to 35

Thanks for the reference, starting tomorrow and I'll be pleased with anything under 45.
Would you say 5 miles a day is too much to start with?
I've been doing daily 1 hour cardio for almost 2 years now, but my main objective is to run without injuries.

>Would you say 5 miles a day is too much to start with?

If you did zero cardiovascular exercise, easily yes.

>I've been doing daily 1 hour cardio for almost 2 years now, but my main objective is to run without injuries.

What type of cardio? Different forms of cardio utilize different muscles. You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you. Even running on a beach, where your legs have to adjust to the uneven footing takes it toll on a developed runner.

Considering you seem to have the aerobic capacity though, trying five out at the pace you mentioned shouldn't hurt. Use it as a test to gauge your running fitness and work from there. If you find yourself winded by mile 2 or 3, you might want to take it down a notch and work up from there.

Anybody here have advice on changing my running form? Anybody done it?

No autism group in Garmin Connect?

>You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you.

This. A million this.

youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

not that user, but how would you say stair stepping stacks up to running? I am practicing the shit out of my stair stepper because i want to volunteer with my local fire dept, but i cant do that on my weekends

No I really appreciate the honesty. I may not hit that goal but I surprised myself the other day by cutting a minute and a half off my time by really pushing myself and running while it was raining and cloudy (it's usually burning hot here). If I can get under 21 by December I'll be happy but I'm going to aim as high as possible.

>This. A million this.
Why does running feel like it takes so much more oxygen than other cardio, yet it's not the best way to burn calories?

Runners trying hills/steps will be surprised at the effort it takes. Hills are a great supplement to any runner across the spectrum, whether sprinter or long distance.

Not sure about vice versa though. Differentials you may be unaccustomed to are differences in cadence and heavier reliance on calf muscles. My guess is you'll be winded if starting running, but will obviously ease into it better than a sedentary person.

What do you consider the best way to burn calories?

Business Insider says running 8MPH (7:30 mile pace) tops most other forms of calorie expenditure.

Granted it's fucking business insider. It says XC skiing burns less calories than running which I find hard to believe, considering XC skiing is a nearly full body workout.

>3000m scrimmage
are you spiking up, boy?

How hard do you guys usually breathe when running short distances outside, say a mile or two?

I usually run on the treadmill, somewhat full tilt, but my breath is masked by the noise. Lately, I've been running outside and my breathing seems very loud to me, even when I'm two minutes off my treadmill pace, per mile.

Is it autistic to run fast enough that other people nearby can clearly hear you? How come I don't hear other runners breathing loudly when they come by? Is it just that my breath is amplified in my own head? This is confusing me.

Calories burned are hard to measure, but I always thought incline training, jumping rope and swimming were top of the list.

i breathe in and out on my left footfalls
so left foot strike (breathe in) - right foot strike - left foot strike (breathe out) - right foot strike - left foot strike (breathe in). i found once i was able to focus on my breathing like that running became easier.

LOOK CLOSER not qt.

Also impossible if there was such a field they would just run away from . faster then you could catch up

I just finished C25K and am starting to get some hip pain on one side towards the end of my runs. I'm thinking that the shoes I'm running in are perhaps done (they're some cheap New Balance). Are the Ghost 10s from Brooks any good?

Not shoe related but hip pain may be IT band related. Shoes and strengthening exercises will do the trick.

Ok so, I recently quit smoking, and I want to take up running instead.
I've been a smoker for 3 years, I am not fat, I do excersise in the gym (no cardio there), and I bike omw to work (it's a very hilly way, I bike about 40 mins at least daily).
How long do you think that I'd take me to be able to run 5k? Any other ex-smokers here? Any tips?

ex-smoker. Early 40s. Smoked for .... 15 years maybe?

Dropped out of cycling, started again after quitting cigarettes. That upped my cardio. Thought I was fit.

Tried running. is correct. Different muscles. Not impossible though.

Been running 1 year. First run was 2 miles. Bought shoes, couple of times a week I went out, increased mileage, got hooked.

Now? 80km cycling a week basic. 50km a week running minimum. That took about 4 months to work up to. Though I was already cycling between 80 - 160km a week. I swapped out extra miles for runs.

Do C25k, move on from there. You can do it.

That feel
>pic related
Use that to power you out the door and down the road.

Do you any of you run in minimalistic running shoes?
if yes, what pair / brand of minimalistic shoes can you recommend ?

I slow down considerably towards the end. I'm guessing that its just a matter of my body getting used to it because I'm not out of breath at that point

Thanks, man

>I also fear tripping/slipping while on the treadmill which I feel slows me down.
You get used to it real fast. I used to be terrified of tripping as I'm pretty clumsy, but now I can sprint full speed without thinking about it.
Having to keep a constant pace can also slow you down on a treadmill.

>Anyone slower on treadmill than on the road?
I'm hoping this will be the case for me, though I think the slope and weather will slow me down. I can run a 9 minute mile, want to get down to 8 (female, new to running and have 20lbs to lose, so I think 8 is a good target for now) before I switch to running outdoors.
>tfw I could barely run 100m a few months back

>You can be in great cycling shape and be surprised how much running takes the wind out of you
I have exercise asthma, and cycling doesn't bother me at all but I need an inhaler to run.
Running feels so much more rewarding though, the dopamine high is like no other exercise I've tried.

I struggle to breath after half a mile and don't know what to do. It feels like I have narrow air ways.

I just got my heart checked and its as healthy as its ever been, so its not that.

ALSO my quads get sooooo painful when running its all I can think about. They're quite big from lifting and every time I run the pain is similar to DOMS in a bad way.

How do I make running easier?

I hate doing it because its so painful, but my military tests are in a month and I'm barely where I need to be.

I can't just tough it out tbqhfam

>military tests are in a month
>I can't just tough it out tbqhfam

Shit nigga get it together.

You sound like navy! You gonna be sucking navy cock nigga?

Get asthma shit checked out.

>quads
youtu.be/kv-qDcJRlWQ

>I struggle to breath after half a mile and don't know what to do. It feels like I have narrow air ways.
I'm and sounds like you have exercise asthma too. I used to be gasping for air within 300m, and it didn't seem to get easier no matter how much I did it. Felt like I just couldn't get the air in, and took me a long to recover to "normal" breathing. It was embarrassing, breathing that hard.
Now with an inhaler, I can run a lot longer before getting out of breath, and even then, I'm not nearly so out of breath as I used to be.

This is the second time I've been suggested this idea and you have me convinced to try an inhaler.

Okay true, I gotta get my head in the game.
Thank you for that video!

Just wanna say I have never gotten helpful responses so quickly on Veeky Forums before and I really appreciate it!

It has it's moments.

I like /run/ everywhere else is cancer.

Question:
long distances. running for more than 2.5hrs.

wat do? slowed down and covered 25km in 2.5hrs
>dead.jpg
want to hit the 50. am I gonna have to go like 13min mile or something?

Increasing mileage will naturally make your more tired. Increasing mileage is a staple to getting faster as an endurance runner. As such, it's a new physiological adaption your body has to overcome. You will feel tired if a single run you do is significantly longer than normal.

It's appropriate to increase weekly mileage about 10%. Not sure comparing the distances between one long run and another though.

yeah, I am getting the same average miles per week roughly but on one "long run" I went for time rather than distance. the distance was only 4km more in the end and recovery has been a bitch.

summer doesnt help.

Not as far as I know, but you can simply link garmin connect to strava and it will sync all your shit automatically.

has anyone here tried to balance running long distance and lifting heavy?

did it work? how did you do it?

Run on the days you are not lifting, dont run long after the heavy deadlift or squat day

of all the things to take an extended break from, running has to be the shittiest to get back into.

>was running pretty well during 1st quarter of the year after not running for a while
>shift goals and shelf most of my running for a few months
>decide to go for an easy 3 mile run this morning
>knees hurt, hips hurt, cadence is horrible, breathing is off, balls chafe, pebble in shoe

How long does it take you guys to get back into running after not doing it for a while?

Just one day, try again tomorrow.

I'm going to the gym tonight, gonna do another 2-3 miles on the treadmill. it'll take more than a day though; I imagine it'll be a week or 2 before the runs stop being noticeably uncomfortable.

Eating before running is a silly meme. I have absolutely no cramps, and my stomach remains calm during and after runs. I feel lighter and more energized without a pre run meal. I have breakfast after my workout. Maybe it's not this way for everyone. For me, however, empty stomach = masterful performances