blue is 20 kg
green is 10 kg

on which side does it tip?

towards green, force x distance

:/

which color plates are osmium tho

it doesnt

whichever is the heaviest (your mom)

Theres fuck all holding it up so it means its resting on the floor leaning towards green because the plates are a smaller diameter

how do i learn basic physics or something like that?

Depends, where's it being held?

Need the exact distances from each plate to the centre of the bar, but I would guess it would tip on the green side since they are further from the centre.

that's just the equation for torque. you'll learn it in any physics class. good luck with ur studies

Go to school

Alternatively, buy a school textbook at your level and watch some youtube videos on the topics

Depends where ya lift it but if ya lift from middle of the both weights it would tip more on the blues

came here to post this

wrong

center but floor is a 5 degree right slope

if it's on a rack it doesn't tip. You need more than 2pl8 diff to tip a bar on a squat rack.

blue, coz the disks are taller

this is literally middle school level stuff m8

this board is full of neets

stop using crossfit plates

I didn't get any GCSEs though mate.

Blue because torque.

τ = r*F*sinθ
The torque on the right side would be greater because of the increased displacement of the green weights when held from the center of the bar. Since the torques from the blue and green weights are in opposite directions, when held at the physical center of the bar, it would generally rotate on the side of the green. If held at the center of mass, though, the bar would not rotate.

Assuming all the plates are of equal SIZE 1m width

So the middle of the blue plates is 1.5m away from middle of bar, middle of green plates 3m away from bar.

M = 1.5*60-3*60 = -90

So it will tip right

It will tip toward blue. There is more weight further away from the pivot.

assuming this is a barbell, the middle of the bar would be here no?

In that case, it'd tip to blue

How so ? The weight is distrubed more on the blue side.

let me guess, you're implying that if you perform a single-arm deadlift picking it up exactly in the middle of bar (red mark) it won't tip, mmmmmh?

what if it's osmium

/thread

no

>The torque on the right side would be greater because of the increased displacement of the green weights when held from the center of the bar.
Wrong.
>rotate on the side of the green
exactly the opposite.

friendly reminder to always use even pl8s on both sides to prevent memesters walking up to you pretending to educate yourself

This is literally introductory physics, a basic conceptual torque question. Assuming it's held at the center of the bar, it tips to the blue because the blue is farther out.

the 20kg side duh

20kg>10kg

This is a bad illustration, because with this example the bar would tip to the blue side, because of the further distant, of the blue side.. But in real life, there will be an equal distant, between the middle, and each sides, which will make it tip to the green side

define center of the bar
pretty sure it's the distance exactly in the middle of the two most outer points

>nuh-uh
I hope you're benching and drop the bar.

let me guess, you're implying that if you perform a single-arm deadlift picking it up exactly in the middle of the forces expressed by green and blue (yellow mark) it won't tip, mmmmmh?

centre of the bar is the middle of the black part, because outside of that is where you put the weights

I don't blame you because you're an underage idiot, I blame you because you're a salty underage idiot.

>middle of the barbell

Are you fucking retarded? How can the green plates be closer to the center than the blue? Have you ever seen a barbell once in your entire life? the inner most plates are equidistant from the center

>not adding the weight of the bar

>not considering plate tectonics
>not adding wind into the equation
>completely ignoring the boner you get from seeing that skimpy cardio bunny, which creates a minor disruption in gravity

>He doesn't account for deadweight loss of a mid rep sip
W e w l a d d y

even BTEC teaches you this shit

let me guess, you'd perform a single-arm deadlift picking it up exactly in the middle between each sides' first plate (central purple mark) on this conceptually revised barbell, mmmmmh?

Kys, substantiate your claims.

The blue weight is more concentrated than the green so it will tip to that side

More concentrated?

@42674157
You've fallen in the same confusion of our friend here As far as OP represented the barbell, the middle of it is , If and only if you're lifting like in then the torque would be greater on the green side. But that's a totally different hypothesis.

Not giving (You)s since you're a salty, underage idiot.

I didn't have a single physics lesson in all my schooling.

>on which side does it tip?
the receptionist

Didn't get those either.

THERES NO TORQUE ON THE FUCKING BAR

kek

>@42674157
Gb2twitter

>Not giving (You)s
I've got some bad news for you, newfag.

this
The picture doesn't accurately represent a barbell.
You can't put plates further on the bar on one side compared to the other.
The center of the barbell is directly center of the first plate on each side.

So unless you hold the bar closer to the green side, it will tip on green

>what are olympic-sized disks?

>ITT: /fitsci/

>>ITT: /fitsci/
Wrong
>ITT: brainlets that don't understand one of humanity's simplest machine, the lever, works argue with anons who have the most basic of problem solving skills.
Try to figure whose side I'm on.
>protip: you cant'

I never wrote anything like that.

>No supports
>Green weights are shallower than the blue.

If you tried to put the bar horizontally on the floor it'd have to tip on the green side.

Fucking brainiacs can't see the first for the trees.

>You can't put plates further on the bar on one side compared to the other.
Nothing stops you from putting pl8s on the edges, hence your comment is invalid.

Srsly guys this shit is simple

see - to clarify, gravity is down. blue end goes down, green goes up

Too bad in reality weights slide all the way in. There'd be more weight acting on the lever with more smaller plates. Big plates would be closer to the center

For your illustration you are correct though. Because somehow we've put clips both on the inside and outside of our Weights to keep them in that awkward position

if you're a real men it wouldn't tip because real men, unlike you, have enough strength to still hold it in balance.

wristlets BTFO

Not really, putting pl8s on the edges would shift the theoretical center closer to the green plates, therefore my logic is still completely valid.
Sorry I'm not a DYEL brainlet who puts pl8s on the edges of the barbell

>Not welding your plates to the bar
Pleb

do you live somewhere in africa?

>putting pl8s on the edges would shift the theoretical center closer to the green plates, therefore my logic is still completely valid.
Do you mean that in this case the green side would tip?
Wrong again, please don't embarrass yourself any further.
inb4 "no I meant

It wouldn't, I can unload a barbell 90's a time without it falling over to one side. a few inches wouldn't make a difference unless you're balancing it right in the middle of the barbell then yea it would tip to the right (green)

In that case it will tip towards the bigger number of plates. Its not like the plates are infinitely thin discs.

Holy shit did any of you fucking retards in this thread even take university level physics? Center of mass? Torque? jesus

If you interpret OP's image like in and you're lifting in the middle of the barbell, then BLUE side would tip.
If you implicitly interpret OP's image like in than it would tip on one or the other side unless you pick in on the YELLOW mark. If you lift from the median distance between the two most inner plates (PURPLE), then GREEN will tip.

If you're in uni you should know you have to back up your assertions with proofs and citations

Did I say the bar would tip when the center is closer to the green?
No, that would depend completely on where the bar is lifted.
>pic related
tried to make it as simple as possible for you

>exerts more force
t. brainlet

I see you proceed in embarrassing yourself. Pathetic.
>center of the bar
>center of the plates
all. wrong. The bar WILL incline if held in the "center of the bar" like in ; the "center of the bar" is totally irrelevant.

Lol, you're a massive faggot.

I see you guys are in trouble.
Here, have a comfy png
Only one solution is right
no need to thank me if I'm helping you with your disabilities

Holding the bar in the center of your retarded and coping version with the blue plates at the end of the bar, which would cause the center of mass to move closer to the green plates, approximately where I marked the center of the bar in the second drawing (impossible to tell without measurements), will not cause the bar to tip.
Because, you know, center of gravity???

Best thing I can compare it to is balancing a broom on your hand horizontally on your hand.

please stop, I'm serious. Look Stop talking about the "center of the bar" you fool.

This user supports my argument.
You're not actually refuting my points at all.

No, there's nothing there supporting your twisted idea expressed in about the relevance of the center of the bar. Quite the contrary. The "center of the bar" is wrong in both approaches. The more the number of small plates on the right, the more evident.

Please tell me where you think the center of mass is when the plates are equal distance from the center of the bar and when the plates are equal distance from the end of the bar.

Look at the png. "Equal distance from the center" means jack shit.

How is the center of the bar wrong in that picture?
I did say approximate.

And I need to state where the center is because the center of gravity will shift depending on the scenario.
In , same as my first picture, the center of gravity would not be the center of the bar.

Still not refuting and stating your points

Where the center of the bar is determines how far the center of gravity shifts.
In your retarded scenario of plates at the ends, center of gravity shifts more than the center of gravity would be if the plates are equal distance from center of the bar.
You might have missed this user somehow

>How is the center of the bar wrong in that picture?
>I did say approximate.
It's irrelevant. The center of the bar. is. irrelevant.
>In (You) , same as my first picture, the center of gravity would not be the center of the bar.
It won't be in the center of bar regardless of how long the bar is, regardless of your hypotesis on plates' placement.
>same as my first picture
>it denies my picture
Stop posting.

>Where the center of the bar is determines how far the center of gravity shifts.
No. The center of the bar is irrelevant, assuming we are neglecting the bar's weight.
Don't ever reply to me again until you understand this fact.

You seem to lack some critical think skills.
If can't grasp such a simple concept, I'll let another user work some kind of miracle on you.

Goodbye, idiot.

Last try.
clearly shows where the theoretical center of the bar would be if the plates are at the end (red) and if theyre loaded on the bar normally (pink)

Sure, and the theoretical center of the bar is IRRELEVANT in both cases.

The center of the bar is relevant because, stated in my very first post in this thread, holding it at the center would cause the bar to tip toward green.
However holding the bar closer to the green plates, more accurately represented in than in my picture, would not cause the bar to tip.