eatthismuch.com/food/view/pork-liver,1710/
poultrykeeper.com/general-quail/beginners-guide-to-keeping-quail/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he's still eating eggs

I wonna run in the 90s with those chickens

here are my future egg-layers :)

Silkies are so fucking based

is that like, an australian chicken?

I don't eat any meat that I haven't raised and killed by hand.

Those gainsbirds a cute

My senpai used to have chickens, but foxes keep killing them

My garden is only big enough to grow my own veg. might get some chooks if I ever get more space though

holy fucking shit they're so cute I'm going to cry

Don't you guys have cages?

Here's a picture from a previous batch.

They fall asleep from the warmth of your hands

How long do they live?

About the time from the block to the fryer

7ish years. Our flock was wiped out by raccoons so we are trying to replenish. silkie chickens are small so you can fit a whole bunch in a coop, so it takes a couple batches of incubation to fill it out.

how much land do you have and what else does it take to raise chickens?

wtf I wanna raise chickens now.

urban chicken owner
what do you do to the chickens when they stop laying?
i fear my mother has gotten too attached to hers and she won't replace them.

Of those 7 years how many of those do they actually lay eggs?

Foxes are smart; they tunnel and can break in to normal cages.

IIRC a good way to deter foxes when you have actual coops is to place a mirror right opposite the entrance; the fox will think there's already a fox there and back off

my heart, my soul ;_;

is the gold one in the middle top cock? they look like villains in an anime.

You eat them.

I have 4 acres, you can get away with much less. People raise chickens in the suburbs on a half acre or less. I would not advise roosters in this situation though. You mainly need a coop (You can DIY a big one for under $300), chicken grit to help them digest, a bit of food to supplement what they scavenge from ranging during the day, and chick starter food if you're hatching/buying chicks. It is best if you have enough land to keep roosters though, they help defend the flock and give you a supply of fertile eggs to replenish those lost to hawks or other predators.
They'll be kept as pets. We have a slow turnover of chickens as we lose some to hawks, so we will never have a complete flock too old to produce eggs. We produce enough eggs for ourselves and our neighbors, they're cheap enough to maintain, and the emotional attachment my family has to them makes me not want them to be killed.
Most of their lifetime. About 7-8 months into life they produce eggs reliably. Some people say their hens have laid for 10 years in a 15 year lifespan. Most keep laying regularly for 90% of their lifetime.

>not raising a vit,mineral,proton power house
>ever gonna make it.

I've got some white mushrooms that have started showing up in my back yard. should I go pick them and cook them up? they look pretty tasty

No.

>really want backyard chickens but backwards ass city banned them because of uneducated people complaining about potential noise and diseases
Hens are way more quiet than the annoying ass dogs they leave out barking all day

I'm doin it anyway. not gonna let some CHUMP talk me outta my minerals

>Man, 18, dies from eating wild mushrooms
>user A. Anonson loved to forage for wild fungi in the hills around his backyard. After eating a heaping plate of what he thought was an innocuous variety, he died of liver failure within a week

holy shit i want chickens

>he doesn´t has level 10 chicken farm
NEVER GONNA MAKE IT

Nice oysters m8

I had some of those growing on a stump in my backyard and I freaked my parents out by eating some during a barbecue

Mushroom identification is like witchcraft to normies since they've been told that mushrooms kill you since they were young.

What kind of mushrooms are those? Also if I were to grow mushrooms at home, what would be the best kind?

Gonna dump some bird pics

they cant be that fucking smart if they dont even recognize their own reflection

how can black cocks even compete?

My Gran has loads of chickens so she gives me a load of eggs every week, handy as fuck.

That's a fuckin chocobo

Jesus Christ what a monster, I'd love to hug that thing

he strolls out of that house like he heard someone talking shit and was ready to go

What's the typical return on investment for a chicken?

Pls post more of your based silkies

Get chickens regardless.

>Set up the coop and a small run in the corner of the property. Along the length along the edge of the property run a long cage. I have cattle fencing folded up into long rectangular boxes
>zip tie a bunch together for a long tunnel
>make garden beds 4' wide running perpendicular to that run
>leave ~24" between beds
>make arches out of thin conduit and chicken netting to fit in the aisles between garden beds 4' long.

Now you can use all these pieces to move your chickens around the garden and let them graze without them being able to tear up your actual garden or get picked off by predators.

I also made some arches that will fit over sections of the garden beds when I get done with a spot and need them to clear it out.

I have more space so my beds are 4' apart and 4' wide. But 2' will be plenty of room for chooks to scratch around and find bugs and grass.

I have 30 chickens in the garden and they can tear it up quickly so I give them two 4' wide paths between my 30' long beds and I let them have the space for two days before moving them to another two rows. They keep the paths' pretty well mowed, weed and bug free.

>Those are some tough looking birds tho

Can someone red pill me on keeping chickens?

nice. everyone in my family thought I was gonna poison myself.

Phoenix oyster. Pleurotus pulmonarious.
Shitake, lionsmane for mental gains, oyster. nice birb

eggs, one chicken, and lots of compost for garden.

THANK YOU WALKING BIRD OF GAINS

Are these things friendly?
Do they enjoy pats?

If you hand raise them and pet them a lot they are very friendly.
Mine dont really like to be picked up, but they climb in my lap to get pats.

>tfw you see someone curling in the squat rack

THANK YOU WALKING BIRDS OF GAINS

do any chicken owners also have dogs? how do i keep the dogs from killing them

chickens are cannibals if one chicken cuts itself and they see blood they will peck the chicken to death that bleeds

>literally just making shit up

what google it if you don't believe me
they even had chicken mini glasses back in 40s or so to prevent chickens going nuts over seeing blood and pecking it to death, so the glasses made them not able to detect blood color

Chickens have self-destructive behavior. If one chicken pecks another and draws blood, the other chickens will do so too until its dead. Its an issue with free-range chickens. Chickens will also bath in their own shit if you dont give them dust to fluff their feathers in. They got quite the herd instinct. Great for killing rodents though outside.

Joe Rogan approves

instagram.com/p/BU5HZQpBNt8/

I have eight. Three matures (used to be five) and five adolescent (used to be seven)
Prior to moving I had 24, now I'm just down to these lowly 8 :/

Mature birbs

I raise chickens, they produce 60 eggs per month

I can see why farmers preferred to keep the chickens in cages.

Which kind of chickens?
Most birds vary based on a bunch of stuff. Happy chickens are obviously best, but I have 8 and I tend to get a yield of 160-180 eggs/month for 6-7 months (mid to late march to late October/early November).
And everyone I've talked to and everything I've read is normal. Are you using some weird egg breed or something?

I don't know what kind of chickens are they (small), I'm in Mex.; bought in a little town. Btw they are 5 chickens. Some put daily and others every other day. Fed with corn, rise, wheat, oat, vegetables and all the "sobras" (remains of our family food ), many herbs from our vegetable garden, and compost bugs. I see them pretty happy, they also had chicks this season. We raise them only for our own family consumption. They lay all the year through. Perhaps the weather and breed affects them

Roosters? Depends on their temperament and personalities. Some are more chill, others just want to fuck errday and assume their dominance over their chicken harem.

That's a pretty dope enclosure. How many do you have?

My grandpappy still raises chickens despite being pretty old and brittle and its probably one of the few things that still makes him happy

Not a whole lot of animals can pass the mirror test

>the fox will think there's already a fox there and back off
Trust nobody.
Not even your self.

>Goats
>Bees
>Chickens
I imagine the Veeky Forums commune to become Ultimates in animal husbandry within a year

Turken's were always pretty based in my experience.

We had one that would come right up to our door and try to come in the house to eat our dog's food.

If you hold them or spend time with them when their chicks they become really friendly and will come right up to you.

How often do turkey's lay?

Really odd there's no market for turkey eggs considering they're majoroy farmed and I imagine their eggs are larger than a chicken's

>buying a vanity breed instead of maximising egg production with high laying hybrids

Chickens are excellent pets if you haveva good garden for them. Mine would come running if I called them and follow me around pic related

Eight but space for 12-16 I figure. I used to have 24 of them. I would have 12 now, but one was carried off by a hawk last year, one suddenly came down with a strange nervous disorder and died, and I have two hens to a friend.

I made everything myself by and large. I'll take some photos in a few hours when the sun's up.

I really want to raise pheasant and quail (and other game birds) but town ordinances are pretty fuckin annoying and my neighbors already have it in for my birbs. I miss Kentucky.

Quails are an awesome addition to any aviary. You can just have them scuttling about on the floor.

The only issue is rats. A rat chewed through the back of my parents aviary and killed a budgie the other day. The entire thing is solidly built but the fuckers always find a way in. My doggo keeps killing rats (pic related) but they're in the coutryside so there's shitloads and they don't stop coming.

I've raised pheasant, how similar are quail to chickens in raising, if you know?

I'd like to get a clutch of like 12 of them and have them just peep around their own little enclosure

>Not eating pork liver for its superior macros
>eatthismuch.com/food/view/pork-liver,1710/
>per 100 g
>3.8g Carbs
>4.4g fat
>26g protein
>~600% of daily Vitamin A needs
>~770% of daily Vitamin B12 needs
>~220% of daily Iron needs
>~100% of daily Selenium needs
>~130% of daily Riboflavin needs
>A complete amino acid profile
>cheap as fuck, sometimes even cheaper than a dozen eggs

And you faggots wonder why you're not making any gains.

>16 grams tops out your A
That's why.

I'm not sure to be honest, but I've heard they're simple to keep. Rats are a much bigger problem for them though because smol birb

This may help:

poultrykeeper.com/general-quail/beginners-guide-to-keeping-quail/

>600% of daily Vitamin A needs
>implying this is good for you

also why would you eat the organ that literally filters the shit out of a pigs stomach

>faggot roleplay

those chickens look like they live on Hoth

>also why would you eat the organ that literally filters the shit out of a pigs stomach
The liver, combined with the kidneys, filter blood, not "shit in the stomach".

Thank you walking bird of gains

giv chocobo name pls

Here's more pictures.
The pen is made of basic woodland construction lumber, supported by 5" posts, Fenced in by chicken wire. Posts are sunk about 18" into the earth. Roof is slanted by like 5° rearward to let rain and snow roll back.
It is 8x16"

Shed holds many useless things. The small coupe is isolation for sick and injured birds. No current occupants.

Straight on view. Its a bit of a mess, I'm going to be cleaning it in a little bit.