When did you realize the press (OHP) is the true king of lifts and bench is for sissybois

When did you realize the press (OHP) is the true king of lifts and bench is for sissybois

OHP is straight up retarded. Stresses your back for no good reason and allows cheating.

Sitting during pressing is better, objectively.

Now, I stopped pressing entirely as of today (was managing 4-5 reps at 65kgs when I occasionally did standing OHP), replaced with incline. Shoulders feel about as stressed, and lateral delts are more important for looks anyway.

When Mark Rippetoe said so. I don't need to know why, as long as Rip says it, I'll say it
*chugs a gallon of whole milk*

>stresses your back
>allows for cheating

how about lifting with good form famillios

when all the big, strong, aesthetic guys at my gym were doing bench press, i thought to myself

>i can't possibly compete with these guys, everyone bench presses so the talent pool for the exercise is huge and if i lay down and start benching it will expose how mediocre i am

so instead i decided to do a largely obscure exercise that uses primarily the front delts, neglects the chest entirely, and stresses the triceps to a much lesser extent

truly the incel-press is the greatest of all exercises

>OHP
>straight up retarded
>straight up
I see what you did there

>largely obscure exercise

outside of internet lifters, OHP is not a popular movement

most of the people you see doing OHP have the distinct appearance of someone who gets their lifting advice from other geeks, muh functional strength

I did 3x8 today and my upper back hurts like a motherfucker, what to do? What the hell am I doing wrong? I try to stand up straight.

Are you joking? I can't tell, everyone does OHP, even cardiobunnies at my gym do some OHP

cardiobunnies at your gym do standing overhead presses with a barbell? bizzare gym you go to

all the gyms i've gone to i've only seen a handful of people doing OHP

Your capacity for lifting weights fluctuates day to day.

You might be maxing a 5 rep max of 100 one day, 110 the other day.

Now, people program arbitrarily and decide that if they did AxB last Monday, they can certainly do AxB+C this Monday, for C>=0.

They also are compelled by the same programming to apply progressive overload.

So let's say last time you had a stellar performance, and this time you're having a bad day.

You go to the gym and you try to military press your set of 5. Around the 4th rep you struggle, but you "know" you "should" be able to do a whole 5 reps. You push through and in order to avoid failure, you use your legs, your spine also bends and you leave the gym sore.

Now, substitute for a moment the exercise for a stricter one. Let's imagine the most strict exercise possible. You are strapped to a machine head to toe, so you have no way to move anything but your arms in a straight line. And you're left to do a pressing motion.

At rep 4, you fail. No other stress on your spine. No chance of using your legs to drive through, consider this a success and increase the weight again next workout.

Proper form is something you can have, up to the last rep before the one you start struggling.

But too many times, you're not sure and you can't accurately judge that halfway through the rep you'll struggle.

I think the opposite is true. The people who don't OHP (IE: 90% of the people in the gym) are because they are doing this months sweet fitness mag new exercise. Anybody who follows any sort of progression plan will OHP.

Maybe some power lifter bros don't but even most of those will.

>tfw stalling on ohp
>start off today with heavier and work down
>was able to hit a new pr
it was only with 25lb plates but i got a compliment from a guy saying i was lifting pretty heavy

>the opposite is true

you literally just agreed with me though? most of those people following "progression plans" (read: SS, SL) are internet lifter geeks

>most powerlifters OHP

no, definitely not "most", because the carryover from OHP to bench (contrary to clueless DYEL belief) is highly individual - if front delts are a limiting factor, OHP will be very helpful for improving bench performance, if not it will do absolutely nothing

it may provide some tricep stimulus as well but allocating that volume to more benching and bench variations would work much better if the front delts are not a weakpoint

>tfw hit 155 lb OHP 1RM

kinda gay tho isn't it

dont stand up straight, have one more forward and other back a bit. You wont sway as much forward and back

>65 kg
No wonder you hate it, you're weak as fuck

what do you guys prefer, OHP dumbell or Arnold press?

>dumbells

hmm

srs? I'm the only guy I've ever seen OHP in my gym.

I didn't ask for your life's story