Was Andersonville worse than a concentration camp?

Was Andersonville worse than a concentration camp?

With regards to living conditions.

Attached: 1509856107232.png (1083x1079, 423K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/s0RydhVRRqw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Read more.

Both had guards that acted basically unrestricted,
Both had severe shortages of food for the occupants, albeit for different reasons.
Both had severe levels of disease.
Both had high levels of fatality.

I know that Andersonville didn't have any actual killing institutions, nor medical experiments, but as for the living conditions of the Yankees, wouldn't it have been similar to that of a concentration camp in WW2?

Just with less guard mistreatment.

Andersonville's main problem was it was over it's intended capacity for prisoners many times over once the Union ended prisoner swaps with the Confederacy. Henry Wirz did try to manage the situation but there's only so much you can do when you barely are able to even supply your guards let alone prisoners. Hell he even sent a few prisoners to Lincoln hoping to convince Lincoln to bring back prisoner swaps but he wouldn't. He then offered to let the Union have the prisoners as long as they'd supply the ships to get them but Sherman's march to the sea squashed that too. Andersonville was a horrifying place and a lot of people died and the people who did live had physical and mental scars from it but it definitely wasn't an intentional death camp. The actual conditions the yankee and southern unionist prisoners did face was arguably similar though for wildly different reasons.

You did not mention labour, selections, capos, apelle, etc. Just read about nazi concentration camps. "If this is a man" is a good start.

The fact that you think that guards in nazi camps whre acting unrestricted shows that you know nothing about the subject whatsoever.

It's important not to trivialize the Holocaust by equating the death camps in Poland and Germany with concentration camps. There's really just no comparison.

Comparable to Bergen-Belsen with the overcrowding, lack of shelter, and rampant Typhus epidemic (minus pregnant Anne Frank and the female rapist guards though).

The horrors of the camps certainly left an imprint on the American psyche almost as explosive as slavery itself.

Attached: Andersonville Stockade.png (1157x805, 1.96M)

The average Southerner probably has worse living conditions than a concentration camp.

Uhhh... Not really, unless you consider occasionally shitty internet and rain to be worse than Typhus and starvation.

t. middle class Virginian

Attached: Union pickets Virginia.jpg (2520x2148, 1.39M)

Yes, concentration camps were just Europeans getting rid of literal vermin, while Anddersonville was a Americans torturing and killing their brothers.

Andersonville never happened, but it should have

This.

More civil war memes please

and for the record isn't the tower of London and Sear's tower the same as well

I mean they're both towers after all

t.Northerner

Except they were literally part of the same network of camps and even had the same personnel

>I know that Andersonville didn't have any actual killing institutions, nor medical experiments

Neither did WW2 concentration camps.

>Muh ebil masturbation machines

Go back to /pol/ retard

>pre Cold War American history
YAWN

>contradicting widely accepted statements
>no source
Get out of Veeky Forums

Imagine how filled with hate you have to be to make an image like this...

Attached: 1516957795329.png (656x993, 49K)

>also implying Unionists aren't vermin

Attached: 1497116733364.png (658x688, 214K)

Seems to be about equal.

Attached: Andersonville Survivor.jpg (2027x3456, 862K)

>people who actually love their country and want to protect it from traitors are vermin
>traitors who want to destroy their country are not

This is what happens when you only read one handpicked, deliberately contextless source, ever.

kek

Sears Tower is shit, I'll take the Tower of London any day.

t. work there

>If this is a man

I've been thinking of reading that, is it worth checking out?

You're not wrong, desu

Someone give me the straight dope on the masturbation machines meme. Is it just the product of mistranslation?

I read it a while ago, pretty good imo

Muh honor is all over Southern culture at the time. Shouldn't you let your enemy go free if you are unable to properly feed and clothe him? I remember in Jean Baptiste Marbot's memoirs during the Siege of Genoa the French, who held the city, could not properly care for Austrian prisoners they took. So they offered to let them go free so long as the Austrian general agreed to take them home. This never happened for the enlisted prisoners, so eventually Massena just put the prisoners on a ships in Genoa's bay and let the Brits come in to run supplies to the prisoners daily.

Not sure why, but it made me think of that. Seems like the Confederates should have similarly reached out and requested help to feed the prisoners.

I'm guessing Southern propaganda or news outlets did not exactly report on Andersonville.

Could you give me a rundown on the contents? Did you read the original or the translation?

Too bad he ain't a corpse

This

>minus pregnant Anne Frank and the female rapist guards though

DON’T YOU DARE BRING OUR ANNIE INTO THIS

Attached: DF5418C6-C229-46E3-A00A-80C33683A290.png (687x1117, 728K)

Attached: nazifaggs.png (1132x890, 574K)

Kek

Wirz dindu nuffin

It would be closer to a Stalag than a KZ

Mistranslation most likely

This

Say it with me Veeky Forums

P O L I S H
H O L O C A U S T

youtu.be/s0RydhVRRqw

Polocaust

Kek

Bump

Wirz did attempt to let them go free. See and to add to it the Confederacy also offered for southern unionists to renounce the Union and join the Confederacy in exchange for freedom to reduce the prisoner count but the majority refused to do it and the small percentage that did take them up on the offer just escaped to Union lines as soon as they could. The issues at Andersonville was mostly out of Wirz's control and his attempts at trying to remedy to situation failed.

I'd say the ones the Japs set up are pretty damn comparable.

Some similarities with disease and starvation, but without the slave labor part (actual chattel slaves were probably better off than POWs since they had actual financial value).

Didn’t happen

But it should’ve

JIDF plz

t. Red coat loyalist.

Attached: 5027D887-3180-4480-BBC9-2FE1963470E2.jpg (2433x3801, 1.76M)

the y*nkoids deserved it 100%

Y*nkoids are literal rats

Look at that sickly little y*nkoid

he needs to eat some more RED meat

>t's important

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 37K)

Unironically this

Break out the salt pork

Yummy

Probably closer to a Gulag desu

neat

All Yankees are walking corpses

Yes

This

Yankee vermin unironically deserved it, that’s the difference.

Attached: C0BC32F2-8ED3-4CF1-A516-3F831CDD2595.png (884x642, 1.11M)

I doubt worst Andersonville guards did 1/10th of what the average Auschwitz guard did

but we're all yankees now

Here come the /leftypol/-tier memes
>left an imprint on the American psyche
that's laughable. Americans don't hear about this in school

this

Union camps were worse desu

Elmira was Bergen-Belsen-tier

What are you talking about? 600,000 brave Confederate Men dies defending their family and nation

implying that im a leftist cause I'm not a nazi you faggot

Attached: nazideniers.gif (1064x734, 2.07M)

It's an interesting piece of Andersonville history I don't seen mentioned much. Confederates saw the southern unionists as misguided brothers and hoped they would rather support secession over suffer in Andersonville but the majority gladly suffered instead of betraying their loyalty to the union. Most continued to refuse to join the Confederacy even at Andersonville's worst. Some of the southern unionist men that came from my area are buried at Andersonville due to this. As far as I know these offers by the Confederacy were only extended to southern unionists since the Confederates saw yanks as too untrustworthy to enlist.

He's under your (Con) detainment, feel free to provide it for him yourself.

The confederates should have just paroled blacks POW like they did with the whites.

Dumb question, where did Andersonville and other Confederate prisons recruit guards from? Were they Confederate States Army or state militia units assigned to internal security? Were they wounded or otherwise unfit for frontline service soldiers who were sent home? Were they not considered military but law enforcement (as is the case with modern prisons) instead? I know the Nazi concentration camp system was so extensive that the SS created a special branch, the Totenkopfverbände, who were responsible for guard and administrative duties at concentration camps, but know nothing about Civil War prisons.

Is there any available for ORBAT (Order of Battle) for them?

Attached: Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-78612-0010,_KZ_Sachsenhausen,_SS-Unterführer_beim_Zählappell.jpg (800x556, 44K)

Y*nKoids are closer to the nazis than any other nation in history eat shit

Well duh, I'm just wondering how the Confederate prison camp system was organized. It seems to me that the biggest problem for the CSA was not deliberate cruelty, but a lack of coherent organization and overlapping duties.

Attached: Bundesarchiv_Bild_192-025,_KZ_Mauthausen,_SS-Scharführer.jpg (533x800, 63K)

I know for Henry Wirz at least he was wounded in battle and was moved to work for prisoner camps since he lost use in his right arm and he was part of the actual CSA army, not a militia. As far as I know I believe most if not all of the Andersonville guards were from the actual army and not militias but people are free to correct me on this. Wirz in particular though had limited actual power though despite being the "head" of Andersonville and constantly had to contact his superiors for permission to do things. It's another reason why Andersonville got so bad since his superiors refused to send what little supplies the CSA had to aid the camp. The CSA was definitely not as organized as the SS with their camps though.

This