Immortality

If immortality was achievable would you want it?

I'm bored with life now and have a growing desire for extinction. I can't imagine living centuries or millenia with any enjoyment or wonder, I would just grow more numb with each pasing year. Does that say something about me or is it universal? We are not psychologically prepared for immortality. Could we ever be?

Attached: altered-carbon.101290.jpg (300x441, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FMJNta-okRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you need a broader view of things OP

If we can engineer our bodies to survive on sunlight and water/rain, combine that with nano-cells running in our bloodstream to scour the bloodstream for defective cells and then repair/remove it. This would effectively create practical immortality.

The problem of boredom is one stemming from lack of foresight. Lack of foresight, to me, is a simple problem of deficiencies in knowledge. Without a library of knowledge to shift through, you are always "bored" as you can't think of much. With a library of knowledge at your disposal, someone can effectively shut themselves from the rest of the world.

tl;dr

In altered Carbon immortality is achieved through dumping the brain's contents into what's basically a hard drive - the cortical stack. This means you can be "resleeved" in another body.

Would that still be you? Or just a computer simulation of how you wold behave in response to stimuli?

That depends if your stream of consciousness is interrupted.

It's interrupted everytime we go to sleep

No. Why do people always say this shit? Even in coma, your stream of consciousncess isn't fully interrupted.

Of course I'd fucking want it. I could shitpost for eternity, not even memeing.

Attached: b.jpg (211x239, 6K)

If space travel was a thing then definitely

But an eternity just on earth, not too sure, id like to live enough lifetimes to explore every country culture and see where humanity ends up but if we never ended up travelling the stars then what's the point

I would but only if I am capable of killing myself afterward.

Not material immortality, sounds exhausting.

Liked the idea at one time. The Bob Wilson, Leary, live indefinitely through life extension and be a cosmic immortal. Travel through space like Star Trek etc. Barring a secret space program unbeknownst to the public, this seems unlikely to occur. Don't want to go the Transhumanist route; it's too disturbing. Will just turn into a raisin, grey bones in a grave, dust. Not so bad.

>Not wanting to eternally shitpost on Veeky Forums till the heat death of the universe
You are a pleb, and frankly you disgust me.

>What is dreaming
Do you really think you are fucking braindead while you sleep?

I would want it, yes. I'll live long enough to experience SO MUCH of history, I will live to see that we will never have sci-fi like utopias. I'll witness the collapse of the world and I will be worshipped as a God for being immortal.

I can't really imagine ever being bored of living, never growing old and decrepit would also be a nice bonus.

Given that I could always shoot my brains out, yeah, I'd take biological immortality (as long as my body wouldn't age).

>I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.
I would love to live forever, to outlast the sun and all the stars because the alternative is too terrible to consider.
There is of course the argumentation that death gives life meaning but thats wrong on two accounts
1) We can not experience death and as such death can not teach us, because our ability to conceptualize death is that what we call experience of death. And you don't need to be mortal to be cabale of that.
2) Death does not give purpose it takes purpose, death is the great thief. All is lost in death.

Its interrupted everytime we lose conscious awareness, aka every few second.

Have fun being chill as fuck for a few billion years (more likely trillions) after the heat death

youtube.com/watch?v=FMJNta-okRw
>The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

>Escape will make me God.

Immortality is just life that does not end. Pretty comfy.

I'm an artist, so I'll keep making art and branch out into other mediums and work towards mastery in them.

Bump

Do I get to self-terminate once things get unpleasant billions and billions of years down the road or before that if I get extraordinarily unlucky somehow?

>samefagging here for a moment
If so, yes.