Mending the East-West Schism

What would it take for the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches to reunite with each other? What would happen if they did?

Attached: schism.jpg (1280x1043, 337K)

I’m no expert on the topic, but weren’t they already *officially* brought back together by Constantine XI when he was appealing to the Pope for help against the Turks?

I don't think so, are there any records of this?

I definitely recall reading it in Richard Fidler’s ‘Ghost Empire’, a history of the Eastern Roman Empire. I’m not at home right now so I can’t get the exact quote but I will later.

Liberation of Constantinople

In all seriousness, there is no central authority in the Orthodox church to make such a reunion official. The Patriarch of Constantinople has no power over the autocephalous churches.

Pentarchy, retaking of Constantinopole, some doctrinal merging, maybe some kind of holy war for the sake of protecting Christians like Copts in Egypt and Assyrians.

If there was a new Pentarchy, what would the cities be?

>Rome (Western Europe)
>Constantinople (Eastern Europe)
>Alexandria (Africa)
>Los Angeles ((((the Americas)))))

Asia could be Antioch or Jerusalem if you wanted to be traditional, or maybe Goa, Manila or Moscow

I'd stick with Jerusalem. But why would you pick LA? Wouldn't Boston or something be better?

I figured LA would have the most Catholics because of the Mexicans, and its close to Latin America. But I guess Boston does have more.

>Los Angeles
Mexico City or Rio de Janeiro are the most populated catholic dioceses, Manila is good
Mexico City and Rio also have proper cathedrals, pic related is the cathedral in Mexico City

You’d get more followers and money in those cities
If it was going to be in the USA it’d probably be in Boston

Attached: 95E7EDE1-0E84-4A39-B3C8-5C40E3D15DBE.jpg (700x467, 320K)

But you don't want to be the Patriarch of Mexico City. It has a country's name right there, doesn't sound very inclusive.
Los Angeles has a good name.

Rio de Janeiro then, if you don’t like it, Los Angeles isn’t important enough (in the Catholic world) to warrant it.

The Pentarchy was established when that was the size of the Christian world, the only reason for them to still be 5 would be tradition.
The Philippines, Mexico and Brazil are the most populated catholic countries.
Africa, Asia and (Latin) America the continents with the most church activity.

5 would be a good number, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, the Americas sounds pretty decent.
Assuming there's still enough Christians in Europe after a generation or two.

Also, side note. Its fucked up the Turkish government only allows Turkish citizens to be Patriarch of Constantinople. The Orthodoxs should just move the seat to Athens or Moscow but keep the name. Hagia Sophia is a museum now, its not like the Turkish government allows Christians to use it for mass or anything.

Also a massive violent shit hole

Attached: Mexico-drug-gang-beheadings-from veractiyvoice.com.jpg (500x262, 30K)

That doesn’t happen in Mexico City, that’s the north
And you can bet all those beheaders are Catholics and pay money to their local priest for forgiveness, that’s the most important part, how much money you can get out of it
Which is why in the USA: Boston > Los Angeles

Do the ZZZZZs represent the heads sleeping?

>there is no central authority in the Orthodox church to make such a reunion official
If majority of patriarchs unite with rome, the remaining bunch will be just a bunch of heretics

>Moscow
>Asia

Attached: index.png (225x225, 6K)

the mark of zorro

Even though Moscow is in Europe (technically there's no real division between Europe and Asia, but w/e) Russia is an Asian power, and probably has more Orthodox Christians than all the Balkans, should be given a seat.

Imo, it should be structured like this:

the 5 ancient Pope/Patriarchs - Latin Rome, Greek Constantinople, Coptic Alexandria, Syriac Antioch(seated in Damascus?), Hebrew? Jerusalem

Latin Europe can be under Rome, the Greeks under Constantinople, and new patriarchs for all other nations, like mecca for arabs, beijing for chinese, cologne for germans maybe, etc.

>Russia is an Asian power
what's a "Asian power"?

A strong country in Asia.

So Russia is a strong country in Asia... but not a strong country in Europe... what did you mean by this?

>it has to been one of the other.
Are you fucking retarded?
Or are you just some mad Tartar rape baby getting all defensive?

So then Russia is a European AND and Asian power is what you're saying?

I'm not defensive, i am irritated by your moronic neo libereal worldview

>this country is a puppet state of USA therefore it's European, this country is opposing USA, therefore it's Asian

doesn't work that way bud

Being an Asian power works if you have large amounts of territory in Asia, and you are a power, ie a force to be reckoned with that can effect the politics of the area.
Likewise Russia also has territory in Europe and can effect politics there.

But brushing off the fact that the vast majority of Russia's territory is in Asia is retarded.

Also you're US comment out of nowhere comes off has highly defensive.
Is Ivar mad I called you Asian? Or are you a Serb and angry I might have insulted Russia?
I want to know where your defensiveness is coming from.

First and foremost a very very very long council to merge doctrines. These past 1,000 years the Catholic Church has gone absolute bonkers in terms of new doctrine. I don't realistically see Orthodox churches accepting any of the new Catholic additions so there would be a very long (probably a few years) council in which Catholic doctrine would be whittled down to a level the Orthodox Church can stomach. Next the old Pentarchy would have to be reestablished. They may expand it to be a Decarchy or even larger due to the new world and Asia but who knows. National churches would have to be established and that would basically be it, church established. It would be a lot harder than it sounds though. The Catholic Church would never give up its new doctrine and The Orthodox Church would never accept it.

he's a troll, stop feeding him retard

>But brushing off the fact that the vast majority of Russia's territory is in Asia is retarded.
well first of all most of their population is in Europe as is their capital, which is what you're brushing off

and even then, the majority of the both the population and territory of the British Empire was in Asia, would you call London an Asian city? would you call the British Empire an Asian empire?

>I want to know where your defensiveness is coming from.
i am not defensive, i am not any kind of slav, i just dont like this misconception about Russia

keep in mind i dont view "European" as a positive or "Asian" as a negative, which funnily enough i see plenty of times people call Russia "Asian" as an insult

durr troll hurrr i no like talk u troll

>well first of all most of their population is in Europe as is their capital, which is what you're brushing off
I did no such thing. You assumed that because you got triggered by the word "Asia." For whatever reason.

>and even then, the majority of the both the population and territory of the British Empire was in Asia
But as a colony, Indians were not full citizens of the British empire. People in the British Raj had their own passports. They were just under the dominion of the British Empire.
I don't think it works the same for people in Vladivostok.

Would you call London an Asian city?
Certainly not. I didn't even really call Moscow an Asian city. Moscow just already has a Patriarch right now, And is probably one of the largest Christian nations in Asia.

Would you call the British Empire an Asian empire?
Not really because they had colonies. It could be argued they were an Asian power, but really India was under British dominion, its not the same. There wasn't that many ethnic Englishmen living in the British Raj who weren't there in some governmental capacity.

I'd call the US a Pacific power, because it has territory in the Pacific, obvious has political power there. Even though most of its territory is in North America.

>i am not defensive, i am not any kind of slav
Well you sure as hell come off that way, with an assumption in every post (what do you mean by X are you saying Y and Z???), getting angry about fucking nothing, because you assume there's some American motive.
Fucking take it easy. And don't put words in people's mouths. You'll find it much easier to have a conversation.